HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   J.P. Dumont is finding his groove (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=867536)

Doyle 01-21-2011 11:53 AM

J.P. Dumont is finding his groove

Dumont has probably been the most disappointing Predator but Tyler Davis chooses to see the glass half full...

http://nhlhotstove.com/j-p-dumont-is...ng-his-groove/

Paranoid Android 01-21-2011 11:57 AM

IMO, Dumont was never really playing that bad this year. It wasn't showing up the the scoreboard, but now that he has decent linemates and ice time, he is producing. Yeah, he slumped a little bit, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I really admire JP's work ethic and loyalty. Most players of his caliber would mope and complain about getting demoted, but JP just worked harder.

I think him playing with the youngsters, Mueller and Halischuk, is doing wonders for them.

utmfisher19 01-21-2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paranoid Android (Post 30361026)
IMO, Dumont was never really playing that bad this year. It wasn't showing up the the scoreboard,

100% Disagree. He wasn't skating without the puck. Hey, he wasn't even skating WITH the puck. He was struggling to clear the zone. He was shying away from hits, he REALLY WAS looking pass first. I'm glad he has found his game. He has great vision, he just needs to use his legs to get to those areas to make the plays.

Trotz wouldn't just minimize his minutes for no reason.

Paranoid Android 01-21-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by utmfisher19 (Post 30361795)
100% Disagree. He wasn't skating without the puck. Hey, he wasn't even skating WITH the puck. He was struggling to clear the zone. He was shying away from hits, he REALLY WAS looking pass first. I'm glad he has found his game. He has great vision, he just needs to use his legs to get to those areas to make the plays.

Trotz wouldn't just minimize his minutes for no reason.

But his minutes were minimized before the season even started. It wasn't because of his play this year. He started the year on the 4th line.

utmfisher19 01-21-2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paranoid Android (Post 30364158)
But his minutes were minimized before the season even started. It wasn't because of his play this year. He started the year on the 4th line.

training camp, practice, pre-season, practice, and more practice before the season are usually pretty good indicators for a coach before a regular season game is ever played.

Paranoid Android 01-21-2011 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by utmfisher19 (Post 30364788)
training camp, practice, pre-season, practice, and more practice before the season are usually pretty good indicators for a coach before a regular season game is ever played.

No I mean before all that (I consider camp part of this season). He said JP was destined for the 4th line in June.

token grinder 01-21-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paranoid Android (Post 30364158)

What were our lines to start the year?

this is what I found in the Game 1 GDT:

Erat - Lombardi - Wilson
Sullivan - O'Reilly - Hornqvist
Ward - Legwand - Dumont
Smithson - Goc - Tootoo

from game 2 GDT

Sully - O'Reilly - Hornqvist
Wilson - Lombardi - Dumont
Smithson - Legwand - Ward
Belak - Goc - Tootoo

ZombPred 01-21-2011 06:07 PM

If you take his away his hat trick game. Has he REALLY been playing so great? I don't know.

101st_fan 01-21-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiralyPred (Post 30367628)
If you take his away his hat trick game. Has he REALLY been playing so great? I don't know.

Have you been watching him the past week or so?

TMI 01-21-2011 08:08 PM

Dumont has an intensity to his game that I haven't seen from him in a while. He isn't making anyone look over their shoulder for a big hit, but he never will. He has been driving the net, battling for pucks, and shooting when he has an open lane. All things he needs to do in order to get it done, and getting it done is what he's been doing lately.

Wine Cups 01-22-2011 12:18 PM

I remember the first time I saw him play for us. I believe it was the first game of his first season with us, but I'll not put money on it. Center ice face off, puck come to JP, he does this Charlie Chaplin shambling, I'm about to fall on my face thing with the puck all the way down to within 3 feet of the goalie with everyone kinda standing around looking at him, even the other teams D, they seemed mesmerized. Then he roofs it. Even the guy who blasts the big ol' "we got a goal" horn seemed to hesitate. I'm wondering, who the hell is this Dumont fella and where can we get another?

cleangene 01-22-2011 12:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFrltvLm9hU, First game 06-07 season. First game, first shift as a PRED

Wine Cups 01-22-2011 06:31 PM

Eh, close...my memories are bit more debonair!

But, thanks for looking that up and sharing! Its kinda like Jackie Chan and his Drunken dude kung fu. Looks sloppy but hey, whatever works.

OpenWheel 01-22-2011 09:13 PM

I like your version better, probably because I've seen a few "shambling" goals by Dumont, where you wonder how the dee let him get to a good spot with the puck even without any high speed moves. But that goal is nice.

Nice goal by "Hartnell" eh?

Wine Cups 01-23-2011 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OpenWheel (Post 30393855)
Nice goal by "Hartnell" eh?

?Hartnell? eh?:help:

OpenWheel 01-23-2011 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wine Cups (Post 30401823)
?Hartnell? eh?:help:

Doesn't the announcer say "Hartnell to the backhand! And they score!" when JP scores there? He realizes it's Dumont right after the goal.

Jarnberg 01-23-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OpenWheel (Post 30402291)
Doesn't the announcer say "Hartnell to the backhand! And they score!" when JP scores there? He realizes it's Dumont right after the goal.

Yeah. Of course Dumont is 71 and Hartnell was 17, it happens.

glenngineer 01-23-2011 10:14 AM

You know who I miss from that video. Timonen. He's the exact left handed d-man we need on the blue line right now. Good defensively. Great puck mover. Would compliment either Weber or Klein so well. If only we could've kept him our top 4 would be ridiculous.

Back to JP though, Mueller and Halischuk have given him new life. Much like when Sully was playing with O'Reilly and Hornqvist earlier in the year, these young kids are injecting live into JP's game. They do the dirty work, he finds the open space and is shooting the puck as opposed to trying to set anyone up. It's been working and I'm not going to question why.

PredsV82 01-23-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenngineer (Post 30403777)
You know who I miss from that video. Timonen. He's the exact left handed d-man we need on the blue line right now. Good defensively. Great puck mover. Would compliment either Weber or Klein so well. If only we could've kept him our top 4 would be ridiculously overpaid.

FTFY

Kimmo is past his prime now and was never worth 8 mil a year.

if we could have kept him for around 4 mil per, and had it expire this year when we needed to pay Weber more, that would have rocked.

glenngineer 01-23-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PredsV82 (Post 30403987)
FTFY

Kimmo is past his prime now and was never worth 8 mil a year.

if we could have kept him for around 4 mil per, and had it expire this year when we needed to pay Weber more, that would have rocked.

I agree. What he gets paid now is way too much but like you said, if the money was right, he would be a very nice fit with Klein. Much better than Bouillon. He would also give us a very good QB on the PP.

token grinder 01-23-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenngineer (Post 30403777)
You know who I miss from that video. Timonen. He's the exact left handed d-man we need on the blue line right now. Good defensively. Great puck mover. Would compliment either Weber or Klein so well. If only we could've kept him our top 4 would be ridiculous.

Back to JP though, Mueller and Halischuk have given him new life. Much like when Sully was playing with O'Reilly and Hornqvist earlier in the year, these young kids are injecting live into JP's game. They do the dirty work, he finds the open space and is shooting the puck as opposed to trying to set anyone up. It's been working and I'm not going to question why.

i said in another thread his enthusiasm on the ice with the kids reminded me of hull's renewed spirit when he was matched up with datsyuk and zetterburg, before they were held in high regard like they are today. just an old man playing a game with kids...

codeyh 01-23-2011 02:08 PM

Whatever it takes for JP to get it in gear, and out of Trotz's doghouse is fine by me.