HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Alexander Radulov Selected 15th Overall by Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=86757)

WuRtZLeSs 06-26-2004 12:45 PM

Alexander Radulov Selected 15th Overall by Predators

What an unreal 1st round, interesting pick for the Predators but it's definetely worth it. We passed up BOTH Schremp and Chipchura, but management must be confident in their ability to nab centers later on.

Biography From TSN.Ca:

TEAM: Dynamo Moscow
CSB RANK: 9th (European Skaters)
POSITION: Right Wing
HEIGHT: 6'1
WEIGHT: 178 lbs.
BOB MCKENZIE SAYS: The Russian Robbie Schremp? The younger brother of Chicagoís Igor Radulov is an immensely-skilled forward with top 10 talent but a reputation for being volatile and difficult. Could break the top 10, could slide to the bottom third of the first round. Didnít test well at the CSB Combine.

hipcheck85 06-26-2004 12:51 PM

I like this pick. Didn't he have better stats with Dynamo this season than Ovechkin?

Enoch 06-26-2004 12:54 PM

Risky, but one ofthe most talented players in teh draft. I like the choice, and I think he will be a good NHLer. Still, I thought we would choose Schwarz when he was still on the board...

Insane draft so far.

WuRtZLeSs 06-26-2004 12:54 PM

TSN's biography only lists him as having played one game with no points.

Shishkanov + Radulov = End of goal scoring droughts.

hipcheck85 06-26-2004 01:22 PM

http://www.nhl.com/futures/cssrankin...s_ranking.html

I hope those stats are right.

WuRtZLeSs 06-26-2004 01:23 PM

Schremp off the board to Edmonton at 25th. I'm glad the Predators selected high-end offensive talent, but Schremp was nice as well and he was a center.

But I like the Radulov pick nonetheless.

jacketracket* 06-26-2004 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WuRtZLeSs
TSN's biography only lists him as having played one game with no points.

Shishkanov + Radulov = End of goal scoring droughts.

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw the selection.

I was convinced Poile would go w/Chipchura---he seemed like a Preds-type player; hard-working, character guy. Solid all around.

Radulov with Shishkanov, added to Hamhuis, Suter, and Weber on D. Impressive! :bow:

darth5 06-26-2004 02:34 PM

:eek:
May be considered a 'risky' pick by some, but you have to admit we don't have many guys with his kind of profile in our system now besides maybe Shish (to a degree) and Glazachev.
Wonder how they plan to address the center position now?
And, why can't we have more draft coverage? Darn, I was enjoying it immensely! but I am sure we hockey nuts are not a ratings bonanza on a Saturday afternoon.

darth5 06-26-2004 02:36 PM

:eek:
May be considered a 'risky' pick by some, but you have to admit we don't have many guys with his kind of profile in our system now besides maybe Shish (to a degree) and Glazachev.
Wonder how they plan to address the center position now?
And, why can't we have more draft coverage? Darn, I was enjoying it immensely! but I am sure we hockey nuts are not a ratings bonanza on a Saturday afternoon.

Anybody else notice the heavier emphasis on Russians in Preds scouting sicne the shakeup last year?

WuRtZLeSs 06-26-2004 03:10 PM

I was a bit apprehensive about the Radulov selection to begin with, as it fails to address a key organizational need: quality center-men. But the more I think about it, the more I like the selection. Radulov has tremendous offensive upside, he's expressed a willingness to come over to North America and play in junior like his brother and Shishkanov before him.. all of which bodes well for his development. Radulov represents a change in the organization I believe, Chipchura was there and Poile and crew decided to pass on him for a higher upside/bigger risk player.. and it's certainly commendable. If the organization grooms Radulov to plan and he reaches his true potential, the organization strikes out over Chipchura - whose basically topped out as a third line center-men with limited offensive potential.

Radulov has the potential to accomplish great things for Nashville, and it's a good selection as Radulov will have all the pieces of the puzzle to play alongside with in Nashville: outstanding puck-moving defensemen (Hamhuis, Suter, etc.), grinders who can chip in offensively (Hartnell, Upshall, etc.), and solid playmakers (Erat, Legwand, etc.). All the pieces are there for Nashville, and hopefully the rise to prominence of such players as Shishkanov and Radulov will cap off the excellent job done by Poile and crew in building this wonderful foundation. The addition of a sniper of Radulov's qualities definitely bodes well for Nashville's chances at finding that game-breaker.. and hopefully, Radulov becomes one of many.

Quote:

Central Scouting Report: Ranked 9th for European skaters... a good skater with balance and agility...strong in his skates...has a good selection of shots...a natural scorer...a good puckhandler...good overall skill level...a dependable player with soft hands and good vision...creates scoring chances for himself and teammates with quick moves in the offensive zone...likes to play at top speed...an emotional player with very good work ethic...needs to bulk up...a natural scorer.
Quote:

TSN.Ca Lowdown: Is the younger brother of former third-round pick Igor Radulov, who has nine goals in 43 games over two seasons with the Chicago Blackhawks. Speedy skater who excels in 1-on-1 situations, some question his desire when things get physical. Ranked ninth among European prospects by NHL Central Scouting, down two spots from midseason. Has a lot of work to do on his defensive game, preferring to hang around for breakout passes. Averaged a point per game in helping Russia win the gold medal at the World Under-18 Championships. Needs to control his emotions after a few run-ins with referees.

hillbilly 06-26-2004 03:13 PM

some info on Radulov

Enoch 06-26-2004 03:18 PM

Our three high-end forwards are ALL russian. Shishkanov, Glazachev, and Radulov...

We just choose Meidel (6'4" 200 lbs), so he should help shore up our center position. Solid third round pick, although I was hoping to draft O'Neil or Alexandrov.

Joe T Choker 06-26-2004 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipcheck85
I like this pick. Didn't he have better stats with Dynamo this season than Ovechkin?

That's misleading. His RSL team is Dynamo, along with Ovechkin. Those stats however are when he played for THK Tver of Russia-1.

Samkow 06-26-2004 10:20 PM

Its a nice pick. Hes gonna burn us some day. and Radulov>Picard.

golfmade 06-27-2004 01:13 AM

I like the pick!

Enoch 06-27-2004 01:28 AM

My thoughts on the draft thus far (I posted this at nashvillepredators.com, but here it is again for those who don't go there, like me, regularly.)

Radulov was top 5 in this draft in potential/talent. Behind Ovechkin talentwise, Radulov is right there with Malkin, Schremp, and Schwarz. However, he is not your prototypical Predator pick, in that, he is not a strong two-way player. Still, I love the pick. Early on I figured that Radulov, Wolski, and Chipchura would all be avaliable at the 15th pick. I coveted Radulov, but figured Poile would nab Chipchura since he fits the mold the Predators have built as an organization....and fills a huge need. I have to hand it to Paul Fenton, though.....he has put together two strong drafts (so far).

It is interesting to note that all of our high-end offensive forwards are from Russia...Shiskanov, Glazachev, and now Radulov. Each one has top line potential.....Hopefully they will be producing on a line together in the future, using their nationality as a boost to their morale. Each is so offensively gifted, it makes me sick!

Personally, I'm glad we passed up on Schremp. Lets face the music, offensively gifted centers fail in our organization. Legwand, IMO, on a different team is scoring 70 points by now, but here in Nashville...our centers have to play a strong two-way game. They must be responsible with the puck and be the first one back on the back-check. They also have to be excellent fore-checkers. I look at Schremp....and he has none of that. He was benched for his inability to play good defense in game 7 of the playoffs for his junior team! I'm not going to get into his "attitude" problems, because personally, I think it is mainly hot water. The kid has flair, and a desire to prove people wrong. Just look at his interview in the draft, after being selected. "I'll show them," he said. I love that attitude in a player, and expect he will indeed show the NHL that he should have went in the top 10. Edmonton is the perfect place for him..a fast skating club that plays full throttle offense. Good luck, Robbie, but I'm glad we passed on you ;).

Miedl on the otherhand, is what I expected to see drafted early on. I was hoping the Preds would move up and grab Bolland, Graham, or Booth....alas, it was not to be. Without giving up any assets, though, we picked up a very big center that has decent potential. Obviously, he didn't live up to first round expectations, but here in Nashville he will be given every chance to succeed.

Tomorrow there are a few players on my radar. First and foremost is defensemen Wes O'Neil a sure-fire first round pick the day before the draft, who somehow passed through THREE rounds of the entry draft. I'm shocked to say the least. Another dman who looks really good is Oscar Hedman, who IMO, will be a 3-4 d-man in the NHL. As for centers, Evan Mcgrath was not chosen. Mcgrath last year was a top 10 pick....This year he fell out of favor. Still, he has a lot of talent in him, and I would be more than willing to take a chance on him....hoping last year was an off year. He is a center after all, and we desperately NEED good centers in our system. I would say one of the three will be available by Anaheims pick (our pick this year :D) in the fourth round.

General thoughts on the draft:

Blake Wheeler at no. 5.....your freaking kidding me!

Marek Schwarz to the blues was a STEAL! Heck, so was Soderberg and Alexandrov (both who were potential first rounders).

The Hawks made out like BANDITS. Easily the best draft so far for the position they were in.

Wolski at 21 will make teams groan in the future. The kid will blossom in the Avs star-studded lineup.

The Flames had another sucky draft, and the NYR wasted the majority of their picks....what a shame :D

Back to Phoenix - Enver Lisin in the late 2nd was a steal for them. After blowing a top 5 pick on a junior in HS, they got a true 1st line talent...pure skater/pure sniper. He was compared to Pavel Bure.......all offense and poor defense ;). I can't wait to see this kid in action!

Tukonen to LA at the 11th pick?? Can you get any luckier? Pre-draft you would have to believe LA would have to give up significant draft picks to move up to take him.

Atlanta's drafting of Valabik gives them three Monster dmen. Coburn - 6'6", Valabik 6'7", Manson - 6'8"

:shakehead

Thats all for now - I can't wait to see how we choose tomorrow. 9 picks!

hillbilly 06-27-2004 01:34 AM

Meidl has fought Valabik, Meidl is either nuts or has some heart

Enoch 06-27-2004 02:22 AM

http://www.nashvillepredators.com/pr...p?item_id=4944

Very interesting. It seems Radulov was our man the entire time!