HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Mark Stuart to EDM (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=867716)

Joey Moss 01-21-2011 08:34 PM

Mark Stuart to EDM

What are the chances he re-signs in Boston this year? I think he would be a great fit in Edmonton. We seriously need someone like this.

8BostonRocker24 01-21-2011 08:40 PM

Depends if he wants to be in Boston or if he wants max dollars. I can see Boston resigning him but it would be for ~$1.5 to $2.0 million. He's a bottom pairing guy here.

If he wants to play #3/4 minutes, and get paid north of $2.5 million, he'll walk and Edmonton would be a decent landing spot.

Fire Julien 01-21-2011 08:45 PM

Chances are slim to none, he isn't needed with McQuaid doing the same job and being tougher for half the price.

LucicTrain* 01-21-2011 09:41 PM

2nd rd pick

WhalerTurnedBruin55 01-21-2011 09:52 PM

Something around Stuart for Alex Plante? A conditional 2nd rounder if Stuart doesn't resign?

I'm a big Stuey fan, but his skillset could probably be had for less on the B's... so it depends on what he's going for on the FA market. Good leadership skills, strong as an ox, solid 5-6 defenseman, limited offensive skills (but can contribute if given the chance), could end up being Top 4 Shut Down if he improves hockey sense, but as a bottom pairing he's probably the perfect kind of player.

Personally, I still think he's better than McQuaid, but I don't think 1M dollars more better, so it really depends on what the B's do with their defense come deadline / draft day.

Can Cogliano play wing (he's listed as a Center, and I always see his name in proposals), maybe a deal around Stuart for Cogs if the Bruins decide to move a winger for cap space.

Joey Moss 01-21-2011 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhalerTurnedBruin55 (Post 30373697)
Something around Stuart for Alex Plante? A conditional 2nd rounder if Stuart doesn't resign?

I'd do this. Plante's a good prospect but I'm not sure if he fits in anywhere long term. Especially if Larsson's coming to town.

thadd 01-21-2011 10:02 PM

Are we talking about the injury prone Stuart? Edmonton doesn't need to be trading prospects for some guy that might not resign with the Oilers. If things go well, Plante will be a decent #3-4 d-man a few years down the line and won't be missing 20 games out of every season.

Joey Moss 01-21-2011 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thadd (Post 30373883)
Are we talking about the injury prone Stuart? Edmonton doesn't need to be trading prospects for some guy that might not resign with the Oilers. If things go well, Plante will be a decent #3-4 d-man a few years down the line and won't be missing 20 games out of every season.

Didn't know Stuart had injury problems but I still don't see Plante having a future in Edmonton.. Potentially Larsson, Petry, Marincin are prospects coming up that will likely make it before Plante to go along with Whitney, Peckham, Smid, Gilbert already here.

WhalerTurnedBruin55 01-21-2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thadd (Post 30373883)

Last season was the first season he missed any games since he's been an NHL regular. He played 2 full NHL seasons without a single injury (actually being noted for being the Bruins Iron Man defenseman.

Not saying you should have to part with Plante if you feel you would just make a push for Stuart in July, but to say he's injury prone because a few fluke injuries the last season and a half, is untrue. He's no Andrew Ference, that's for sure.

Roof Daddy 01-21-2011 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OilGagner89 (Post 30373965)
Didn't know Stuart had injury problems but I still don't see Plante having a future in Edmonton.. Potentially Larsson, Petry, Marincin are prospects coming up that will likely make it before Plante to go along with Whitney, Peckham, Smid, Gilbert already here.

Well, even with that considered he'll still be an excellent #3/4 Dman... in OKC.

I think we'll just wait until July 1st, though I'd rather target a bigger fish like Bieksa before Stuart. Nothing wrong with him as a plan B.