HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Speculation: Here's what to do for next year (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=868269)

Boose30 01-23-2011 10:10 AM

Here's what to do for next year

Im already on the bandwagon that the sabres arent going to make the playoffs so i took a couple hrs out of my o so busy college life to put together a potential list for what the team should look like and who the sabres should get in the off season via free agency.

LW C RW
Vanek-7,142,857 B. Richards-8,300,000 Pominville-5,300,000
Ennis-875,000 Roy-4,000,000 Tanguay-2,300,000
Gerbe-950,000 Adam-687,500 Kassian-900,000
Hecht-3,525,000 Gaustad-2,300,000 McCormick-600,000
Kaleta-1,200,000

D
Ehrhoff-3,750,000 Leopold-3,000,000
Myers-1,300,000 Sekera-1,750,000
Morrisonn-2,075,000 Weber-600,000
Gragnani-600,000

G
Miller-6,250,000
Enroth-650,000

Richards gets a 1-2yr deal (good center, helps on the pp), Tanguay probably a 1yr deal(consistent point scorer, good on pp), Ehrhoff a 2-3yr deal(young, helps quarterback pp). This would put the payroll at a little over 58mill. The current cap is 59.4mill so this would give the Sabres roughly 1.4mill in excess to play around with for bonuses and what not. Theres really not a whole lot of good players on the f/a market this off season so this is the best i could come up with. Let me know if ya think of any other players that could be better than those i chose.

BackGroundMusic 01-23-2011 10:15 AM

Richards won't sign here.

Erhoff will get at least 5M/season.

Tanguay is the only mildly realistic option, but that's only because he's basically been a pile of suck since leaving Colorado.

Zip15 01-23-2011 10:23 AM

So we're getting the best center on the market and arguably the best PPQB on the market? That's not unrealistic at all.

Boose30 01-23-2011 10:30 AM

ok ehrhoff is quite a long shot. replace him with alberts for 2mill and give richards a grossly overpaid 8.75-9mill. does that get richards to buffalo?

Chainshot 01-23-2011 10:32 AM

More realistic -- those of a religious bent should pray and pray hard that Roy is back at nearly 100%, that some of the prospects break through as full-time, legit NHLers next season, and that someone falls into their lap to take on the #1 or #2 center duties.

As BGM pointed out, Richards is not signing for 2 years anywhere. He'll get to cash out on the final contract of his career for a serious cap hit to one of a couple of teams looking hard for that elusive #1 pivot (or possibly in the Kings case, a superior #2). The Sabres not only have social stigma working against them, but years of upper management's shoddy treatment of players during negotiations and a hard-earned reputation for following the bottom line rather than either doing right by the players or the fans. Add in them teetering on the brink of a third non-playoff year in four while continuing to thin their NHL-level talent base? Please. They need a reclaimation project who needs a place to play as much as the player needs to prove they aren't a has-been.

So queue up to the religious edifice of your choice, since it looks like divine intervention is going to be the only way out of yet another mediocre season next year.

Rowley Birkin 01-23-2011 10:32 AM

Nice lineup but it isn't gonna happen. I've wanted Brad Richards to sign for the Sabres for years now.

Trade Stafford (+) for a top 6 centre

Trade Connolly, Montador for picks

See if you can push the boat out for someone like Pitkanen or Ehrhoff by throwing $5m/year at them for a decent term.

Resign McCormick, Sekera and any other minor parts to fill out the roster

Maybe Admin could merge this with the other offseason thread?

I posted a proposal on the trade forum earlier today - Stafford and Sekera + to Boston for Wheeler and one of Bergeron or Krejci. Won't happen in the real world but one that could maybe work for both teams. The + from Sabres would have to be something of reasonably high value to Boston.

Boose30 01-23-2011 10:40 AM

I posted a proposal on the trade forum earlier today - Stafford and Sekera + to Boston for Wheeler and one of Bergeron or Krejci. Won't happen in the real world but one that could maybe work for both teams. The + from Sabres would have to be something of reasonably high value to Boston.[/QUOTE]

i'd be willing to do stafford, sekera and our 1st for wheeler, bergeron and a 3rd

Ron Barr 01-23-2011 10:44 AM

I would never wanna sign Richards with an 8.3 cap hit. Ever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan (Post 30403781)
Tanguay is the only mildly realistic option, but that's only because he's basically been a pile of suck since leaving Colorado.

IMO the only time Tanguay wasn't good was on Tampa, and maybe Montreal. He was solid on Calgary, but of course he had a bit of a dip in production so Calgary went ******* and traded him, like they seemingly do with all of their star players.

I don't think Tanguay was ever a legit top flight star winger in the NHL. He was always a great fill-in for 1st line, but thrived on a secondary scoring line. His stats were a bit inflated in Colorado because of all the star power he got to work with, but as he showed in Calgary, he can make his own offense as well, and still be a point-per-game player.

Tanguay actually reminds me a bit of Pominville, even in the way he plays.

Jame 01-23-2011 10:45 AM

Richards... lol

BackGroundMusic 01-23-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boose30 (Post 30404001)
i'd be willing to do stafford, sekera and our 1st for wheeler, bergeron and a 3rd

<----- is so glad that you're not the Sabres GM. :amazed::shakehead

Jame 01-23-2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan (Post 30404039)
<----- is so glad that you're not the Sabres GM. :amazed::shakehead

really? you wouldnt do that deal?

I don't think it's fully understood how uncompetitive the Sabres are going to be until they solve the top 6 center problem.

Rowley Birkin 01-23-2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jame (Post 30404113)

I don't think it's fully understood how uncompetitive the Sabres are going to be until they solve the top 6 center problem.

Totally agree.

I would do Boose's deal and not think too hard about it - unless its a top 5 pick of course. Krejci would probably be my preferred choice of the two but I like both a lot as players. Either combined with Roy would make for a very good 1a/1b combo - neither are out and out first liners but can do a good job.

Not sure the pick is what Boston is looking for but you would never know - having two top 15 picks, likely top 10 is never a bad thing. They are loaded at C, Staff is probably a better bet for them than Wheeler at this stage, and Sekera already has some chemistry playing with Chara, and would be a cheap solution for a team need they have. Maybe swap out the 1st for a Brennan or Pysyk - I don't know what their prospect situation is.

BackGroundMusic 01-23-2011 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jame (Post 30404113)

Stafford = Wheeler
Bergeron >/>> Sekera
1st [probably top 7] >>>>> 3rd

Not a chance I would do that. The Bruins will already have two top prospects due to the Leafs incompetence....why would we give them another top 10 pick for Bergeron? The Sabres are more than a top 6 center away from being competitive. It's time to scrap most of the existing core and start building around top young guys like Myers, Ennis, Kassian, and hopefully this year's 1st rounder.

Loungie 01-23-2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boose30 (Post 30403746)
Im already on the bandwagon that the sabres arent going to make the playoffs so i took a couple hrs out of my o so busy college life to put together a potential list for what the team should look like and who the sabres should get in the off season via free agency.

LW C RW
Vanek-7,142,857 B. Richards-8,300,000 Pominville-5,300,000
Ennis-875,000 Roy-4,000,000 Tanguay-2,300,000
Gerbe-950,000 Adam-687,500 Kassian-900,000
Hecht-3,525,000 Gaustad-2,300,000 McCormick-600,000
Kaleta-1,200,000

D
Ehrhoff-3,750,000 Leopold-3,000,000
Myers-1,300,000 Sekera-1,750,000
Morrisonn-2,075,000 Weber-600,000
Gragnani-600,000

G
Miller-6,250,000
Enroth-650,000

Richards gets a 1-2yr deal (good center, helps on the pp), Tanguay probably a 1yr deal(consistent point scorer, good on pp), Ehrhoff a 2-3yr deal(young, helps quarterback pp). This would put the payroll at a little over 58mill. The current cap is 59.4mill so this would give the Sabres roughly 1.4mill in excess to play around with for bonuses and what not. Theres really not a whole lot of good players on the f/a market this off season so this is the best i could come up with. Let me know if ya think of any other players that could be better than those i chose.

Id dump Hecht and give Kaleta the full time job at 4th line. All Jochen's doing is eating cap space being a 4th line player. I wouldnt get Tanguay either cause i dont think he'd fit in Buffalo very well.

Timbo Slice 01-23-2011 01:25 PM

It's kind of unrealistic...

Also, from what I've heard, Tanguay doesn't want any more 1 year deals, likes Calgary, and doesn't want to move his family again.

What happened to Stafford?

Havok89 01-23-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boose30 (Post 30404001)
I posted a proposal on the trade forum earlier today - Stafford and Sekera + to Boston for Wheeler and one of Bergeron or Krejci. Won't happen in the real world but one that could maybe work for both teams. The + from Sabres would have to be something of reasonably high value to Boston.

i'd be willing to do stafford, sekera and our 1st for wheeler, bergeron and a 3rd[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't

Moskau 01-23-2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boose30 (Post 30403921)
ok ehrhoff is quite a long shot. replace him with alberts for 2mill and give richards a grossly overpaid 8.75-9mill. does that get richards to buffalo?

It's not about the money when it comes to signing in Buffalo. It's about the city.

Zip15 01-23-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moskau (Post 30408194)
It's not about the money when it comes to signing in Buffalo. It's about the city.

Yep, pretty much. It hasn't helped that management has shot themselves in their collective feet on multiple occasions, but Buffalo is not a destination for these top players.

The city sucks, relative to their other options. The team is likely to miss the playoffs for the third time in four years. Buffalo just isn't getting those type of players.

comeonnow 01-23-2011 10:18 PM

What about Brooks Laich?

Jame 01-23-2011 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan (Post 30405815)
Stafford = Wheeler
Bergeron >/>> Sekera
1st [probably top 7] >>>>> 3rd

Not a chance I would do that. The Bruins will already have two top prospects due to the Leafs incompetence....why would we give them another top 10 pick for Bergeron? The Sabres are more than a top 6 center away from being competitive. It's time to scrap most of the existing core and start building around top young guys like Myers, Ennis, Kassian, and hopefully this year's 1st rounder.

:shakehead

I would trade Stafford, Sekera, 1st for Bergeron... i dont even care about Wheeler...

If the Sabres are drafting 7th, they aren't getting an impact pick... they are getting Blake Wheeler (Brandon Saad).

Im all about building around the "new" core... and if I have the chance to add a top 6 center at 25 yrs old... at the cost of two secondary pieces and a 1st rounder... im doing it every day of the week, and twice on sundays...

im flabbergasted with your opinion. you must think finding another top 6 center is going to be easy... lol

jBuds 01-24-2011 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jame (Post 30420627)

I would trade Stafford, Sekera, 1st for Bergeron... i dont even care about Wheeler...

Same. As said above, we're going to be hovering at mediocre until our center problem is solved. Getting someone as the #1 to put Roy second on the depth chart is the biggest step we need to take to get to the next level. Signing Richards would be perfect; unrealistic.

ohheyimmark 01-24-2011 12:22 AM

Quote:

If the Sabres are drafting 7th, they aren't getting an impact pick... they are getting Blake Wheeler (Brandon Saad).

Im all about building around the "new" core... and if I have the chance to add a top 6 center at 25 yrs old... at the cost of two secondary pieces and a 1st rounder... im doing it every day of the week, and twice on sundays...

im flabbergasted with your opinion. you must think finding another top 6 center is going to be easy... lol

I agree with this. Two inconsistent players that may or may not have figured it out this year plus a first for a true first line talent. No question I make this deal.

slip 01-24-2011 01:03 AM

Blah blah blah center depth; blah blah blah, center depth.

8-4-1.

Our record since the injury to Roy.

0 G, 6 A, -2, 11 GP.

Connolly's stats since Roy's injury.

Folks, I'm not mocking anybody (and if I were, it would be myself), but somebody needs to 'splain to Lucy how Buffalo is able to complete its most successful stretch of hockey while effectively being without the productive services of it's top two centers.

Curiouser and curiouser!

Digable5 01-24-2011 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockstar2866 (Post 30421936)
I agree with this. Two inconsistent players that may or may not have figured it out this year plus a first for a true first line talent. No question I make this deal.

Bergeron's not even a PPG player on a great team. Bergeron was outproduced by Connolly just last year.

Stafford is younger and has a greater value with his breakout season this year than Wheeler. There's also not much of a difference in their previous seasons to suggest Wheeler is going to be more productive.

Sekera is starting to show things are beginning to click for him and is only 24. I'd hate to be so patient with his development and then let a division rival reap the rewards.

Most of the top teams in the league built from top 10 talent in the draft. With our pick having the potential to get us another piece to build around with Myers, Ennis, Kassian, etc... I wouldn't be willing to exchange it for a third as a sweetner for another 1a/1b talent.

BackGroundMusic 01-24-2011 08:08 AM

Quote:

Every year there is a guy who falls further than expected. Are you willing to deal that pick with the possibility that SC or Strome falls to you? I'm sure as hell not, at least not for Bergeron.

Quote:

25 years old means he will be hitting UFA soon. Do you want him leaving as a UFA as soon as Myers, Ennis, et al are finding their NHL groove?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digable5 (Post 30424024)
Bergeron's not even a PPG player on a great team. Bergeron was outproduced by Connolly just last year.

Stafford is younger and has a greater value with his breakout season this year than Wheeler. There's also not much of a difference in their previous seasons to suggest Wheeler is going to be more productive.

Sekera is starting to show things are beginning to click for him and is only 24. I'd hate to be so patient with his development and then let a division rival reap the rewards.

Most of the top teams in the league built from top 10 talent in the draft. With our pick having the potential to get us another piece to build around with Myers, Ennis, Kassian, etc... I wouldn't be willing to exchange it for a third as a sweetner for another 1a/1b talent.

Plus all of what Dig said. Bergeron isn't the cure for the problem. Could he be part of it? Sure, why not. But I'm not willing to give up that much just to start to address it.