HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Patrik Berglund to the Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=868475)

johnnyutah 01-23-2011 07:26 PM

Patrik Berglund to the Leafs
 
I would love to get this guy in the blue and white and see if he can be our next mats sundin. Hes swedish and around the same size so thats a good start. I would like to hear what it would take from both st. louis fans as well as un biased neutral opinions.

HooliganX2 01-23-2011 07:30 PM

The leafs have nothing they would being willing to trade so no. If Kessel or Kuleman aren't part of the deal then No.

WalterSobchak 01-23-2011 07:34 PM

Blues fan here.

at the moment I see nothing in Berglund that is equatable to Sundin besides being a Swedish Center.

St. Louis would need to bundle a few more assets with Berglund to look at getting Kessel but thats about the only move St. Louis would consider making and even then...doubtful since Berglund is on an inexpensive Entry Contract and Kessel is not.

SirPaste 01-23-2011 08:48 PM

Toronto really has nothing Im interested in except for Kessel and that wont happen

MoreMogilny 01-23-2011 08:52 PM

I would love to have Berglund on the Leafs. I can't really see much that St. Louis would want from our roster though.

To Blues fans: What type of assets would you want in return?

Celtic Note 01-23-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreMogilny (Post 30417445)
I would love to have Berglund on the Leafs. I can't really see much that St. Louis would want from our roster though.

To Blues fans: What type of assets would you want in return?

Nothing you have. Not to sound disrespectful.

We need Berglund to pan out. With the loss of Eller, our center depth for the near future is an area that could be of concern. Schwartz could turn into a good center, but LW might be a bit more reasonable/likely. That pretty much leaves Berglund in the top two spots.

MoreMogilny 01-23-2011 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zundo (Post 30417525)
Nothing you have. Not to sound disrespectful.

We need Berglund to pan out. With the loss of Eller, our center depth for the near future is an area that could be of concern. Schwartz could turn into a good center, but LW might be a bit more reasonable/likely. That pretty much leaves Berglund in the top two spots.

Yeah, that's pretty much what i figured. We can't offer much in the way of center depth, seeing as the Leafs hardly have any as it is.

Celtic Note 01-23-2011 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreMogilny (Post 30417668)
Yeah, that's pretty much what i figured. We can't offer much in the way of center depth, seeing as the Leafs hardly have any as it is.

Thats why were just not a good fit.

As an aside, I am glad this thread has remained civil/respectful. That hasn't happened often between Blues and Leafs fans.

johnnyutah 01-23-2011 11:12 PM

berglund for grabovski?

HooliganX2 01-23-2011 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyutah (Post 30420773)
berglund for grabovski?

No The Blues are not trading Berglund unless it is in a package to get a legit #1 center. Other then that they hope he has the potential to develop into one.

johnnyutah 01-23-2011 11:19 PM

berglund for grabovski?

LeafsFan2342 01-23-2011 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyutah (Post 30420773)
berglund for grabovski?

nope

MoreMogilny 01-23-2011 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zundo (Post 30417887)
Thats why were just not a good fit.

As an aside, I am glad this thread has remained civil/respectful. That hasn't happened often between Blues and Leafs fans.

Yup, makes it a lot easier to have a discussion when there isn't fans in here instigating.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyutah (Post 30420773)
berglund for grabovski?

Doesn't really make sense from either team's standpoint.

Grabovski is the only productive center the Leafs have. The team is looking to add to that in the present. Strictly speaking, that deal doesn't help the Leafs right now because they replace their only good center, with one that isn't at that level yet. This doesn't apply to the future, but i think we are all aware of Leaf management's desire to win ASAP, as stupid a plan as that may be.

This proposal doesn't really help the Blues all that much either. Why trade a guy who has as much potential as Berglund does, for Grabovski? While Grabo has been playing great for the past while, i think he has pretty much shown his ceiling. Grabovski is never going to be more than a good to great second line center. If i was the Blues, i would very much like to keep Berglund and let him develop, he is only 22 after all.

mbowman 01-23-2011 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyutah (Post 30415421)
I would love to get this guy in the blue and white and see if he can be our next mats sundin. Hes swedish and around the same size so thats a good start. I would like to hear what it would take from both st. louis fans as well as un biased neutral opinions.

is it really?

FrozenJagrt 01-23-2011 11:57 PM

Berglund is more like Sundin ultralite. He doesn't have the shot, he's not quite as big (people don't seem to realize what a freak specimen Sundin was. 6'5, 240 pounds of solid muscle, skated like the wind and you flat out weren't knocking him off the puck). The playmaking is getting there, but as is he comes nowhere near Sundin's level at the same age.

I like him though. I'd love to have him on the Leafs. To get him, you're looking at losing Kulemin, Grabovski, Kadri. Not all of them, just guys with that kind of value. There is a very small percentage of players that I'd be willing to give up Kulemin for because I think he's going to be a big time power forward someday, but I'd be perfectly fine giving up Grabovski/Kadri+ for Berglund.

As an aside, are Patrik and Kristofer related?

Celtic Note 01-24-2011 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace14 (Post 30421530)
Berglund is more like Sundin ultralite. He doesn't have the shot, he's not quite as big (people don't seem to realize what a freak specimen Sundin was. 6'5, 240 pounds of solid muscle, skated like the wind and you flat out weren't knocking him off the puck). The playmaking is getting there, but as is he comes nowhere near Sundin's level at the same age.

I like him though. I'd love to have him on the Leafs. To get him, you're looking at losing Kulemin, Grabovski, Kadri. Not all of them, just guys with that kind of value. There is a very small percentage of players that I'd be willing to give up Kulemin for because I think he's going to be a big time power forward someday, but I'd be perfectly fine giving up Grabovski/Kadri+ for Berglund.

As an aside, are Patrik and Kristofer related?

No they are not. I use to wonder the same.

rumrokh 01-24-2011 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace14 (Post 30421530)
Berglund is more like Sundin ultralite. He doesn't have the shot, he's not quite as big (people don't seem to realize what a freak specimen Sundin was. 6'5, 240 pounds of solid muscle, skated like the wind and you flat out weren't knocking him off the puck). The playmaking is getting there, but as is he comes nowhere near Sundin's level at the same age.

I agree that Berglund isn't on Sundin's level. The comparison is lazy.

However, Berglund's shot is great (wrister, slapper, and one-timer), he just doesn't consistently get separation or make great selection. I know that's all part of having a good shot, but he has shown it and is improving. When he first came into the league, he could get the puck in open ice and fire lasers mid-stride that caught goalies completely by surprise. He has gradually regained some confidence and consistency in doing that this year, but he's certainly a project, so it might take another couple of years before his shot really shows itself as an asset.

frankielax 01-24-2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreMogilny (Post 30420942)
Yup, makes it a lot easier to have a discussion when there isn't fans in here instigating.



Doesn't really make sense from either team's standpoint.

Grabovski is the only productive center the Leafs have. The team is looking to add to that in the present. Strictly speaking, that deal doesn't help the Leafs right now because they replace their only good center, with one that isn't at that level yet. This doesn't apply to the future, but i think we are all aware of Leaf management's desire to win ASAP, as stupid a plan as that may be.

This proposal doesn't really help the Blues all that much either. Why trade a guy who has as much potential as Berglund does, for Grabovski? While Grabo has been playing great for the past while, i think he has pretty much shown his ceiling. Grabovski is never going to be more than a good to great second line center. If i was the Blues, i would very much like to keep Berglund and let him develop, he is only 22 after all.

This is something that a lot (alot, alot, alot) of Blues fan do not comprehend. I agree with you with everything else as well.

bleedblue1223 01-24-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace14 (Post 30421530)
I'd be perfectly fine giving up Grabovski/Kadri+ for Berglund.

This would be very intriguing for the Blues. I still doubt they do it because once everyone gets healthy there wouldn't be enough room for everyone.

If this trade is made: Backes, Oshie, Perron, Grabovski, McDonald, Steen, Boyes, Tarasenko, Kadri, Dagostini, Sobotka, McClement, Crombeen, and Winchester are the top forwards for next season with McRae fighting for a spot and Reaves probably serving as an enforcer. Great group of forwards with tremendous depth. If this trade is made, the Blues will probably trade Mcdonald and/or Boyes.

All that being said, I doubt the Blues trade Berglund, when healthy we have good depth at forward and next season we hopefully should have Tarasenko.

johnnyutah 01-24-2011 11:42 AM

I could see tarasenko and grabovski having amazing chemistry

DisgruntledHawkFan 01-24-2011 10:39 PM

When is Steen a UFA? He'd be a great pickup for the Hawks.

HooliganX2 01-24-2011 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan (Post 30441855)
When is Steen a UFA? He'd be a great pickup for the Hawks.

after the 2013-2014 season.....

Flowseidon 01-24-2011 11:07 PM

I don't think you rember what we traded for Sundin. :snide: I'd rather have Oshie anyways. neither is happening


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.