HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Detroit 2-9-11 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=868845)

Jonesey 01-24-2011 06:05 PM

Detroit 2-9-11

Anyone else making the trip? 3 of us are heading up.

Milly79 01-24-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trade Legwand (Post 30434841)

I've always wanted to attend a game in MI supporting the Preds, but I only go during the summer usually. How do they treat Preds fans? I wouldn't suspect very well...

Adz 01-24-2011 06:38 PM

One of my co-workers went to a Detroit game. Wore his sweater and said people looked at him like "how'd you get in here?" but he didn't get much grief. I think we won, too.

Gnashville 01-24-2011 07:26 PM

I will never attend another Red Wings game here again, much less go to Detroit. Have fun and don't spend too much on security guards.:amazed:

Joe T Choker 01-24-2011 08:22 PM

lstcyr 01-25-2011 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milly79 (Post 30434981)
I've always wanted to attend a game in MI supporting the Preds, but I only go during the summer usually. How do they treat Preds fans? I wouldn't suspect very well...

Went to a game a couple of years ago in a Preds sweatshirt. Fans were fine. We gave each other hell when each time scored but they were generally overall good people.

sighthndlady 01-25-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trade Legwand (Post 30434841)

My mom still lives in the Detroit area. Daughter and I go up every year and take her to a Wings/Preds game. I think we're about even on win/loss over time, and so far the fans have always been reasonably friendly - unlike Chicago! Feb 9 is the game this year. I met Sully's aunt in the bathroom one year. . .she started the conversation with "nice sweater!" We were just about the only people in mustard. The percentage of Preds fans has increased, but not by much. So you're very much in the minority. OTOH it's a whole lot easier to get tickets than it used to be.

Several years ago (2007 maybe?) there were growl towels on all the seats when we arrived. I folded mine, as did my daughter, and we asked my mom if she'd like to put them in her bag to take home. I think the conversation went something like, "You don't want to waive your towel?" "Um. . .no, Mom, I don't think I'm going to want to waive my towel." "Why not?. . . Oh. Right." She always wears her autographed Zetterberg jersey (that my dear hubby bought for her at the Preds silent auction table). She has learned not to call me and gloat when the Wings win. . .and I don't call her when the Preds win.

sighthndlady 01-25-2011 07:24 PM

By the way, if you want any driving/directions tips, just ask.

If you don't know the area and are driving in from either the airport or the 'burbs, I recommend taking the Lodge directly to the exit for the JLA parking garage (yes, it has its own exit). That way, you don't need to worry about what areas are safe and what aren't. $20 I think, but you've got direct access via a covered bridge to the area. Wherever you park, if you are not familiar with the City (and I mean, really familiar) be sure you have a GPS in your car and use it. You can end up missing the freeway entrance and not being able to get back pretty easily.

kypredsfan 01-26-2011 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnashville (Post 30437142)
I will never attend another Red Wings game here again, much less go to Detroit. Have fun and don't spend too much on security guards.:amazed:

are you serious? why in the world would you not attend a home game vs the wings? they are usually crazy.

Detroit is the only away team in our division that I haven't been to yet. Probably won't make this one but maybe next year. And will be staying in Windsor. :handclap:

sighthndlady 01-27-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kypredsfan (Post 30491650)
are you serious? why in the world would you not attend a home game vs the wings? they are usually crazy.

Detroit is the only away team in our division that I haven't been to yet. Probably won't make this one but maybe next year. And will be staying in Windsor. :handclap:

If you stay in Windsor, be sure to allow lots and lots of extra time to get back across the border. The Detroit border crossing is one of the busiest in the nation. The bridge is in desperate need of at least two more lanes in each direction, the tunnel is always jammed, and on the Windsor side traffic backs up on pretty narrow city streets.

And don't forget your passport!

FissionFire 01-27-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sighthndlady (Post 30504933)
If you stay in Windsor, be sure to allow lots and lots of extra time to get back across the border. The Detroit border crossing is one of the busiest in the nation. The bridge is in desperate need of at least two more lanes in each direction, the tunnel is always jammed, and on the Windsor side traffic backs up on pretty narrow city streets.

And don't forget your passport!

Amen to that. Really staying in Windsor is just a nightmare with traffic. If the weather turns it's not unheard of to wait 4 or more hours to cross. You're much better off grabbing a room at a place somewhere up off I-75 in Troy, Royal Oak, Birmingham, etc. Very nice trendy communities with plenty to do before or after a game. And there are plenty of local dives in the city that you can go to with free shuttles to and from the arena. Really the dangerous areas aren't downtown but in the residential areas around it where the poverty, drugs, and crime really are noticable.

Jonesey 01-27-2011 08:29 PM

we are staying downtown close to the arena. should be a fun trip.

Gnashville 01-27-2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kypredsfan (Post 30491650)

My 2nd NHL game was vs the Wings. I Saw too many drunken Wings fans. They tried to start fights in my section. One threatened to rip a 6 or 7 years old kid's preds jersey off him. Not just the people around me but everywhere, I walked in the arena they were acting like that. Bandwagon Wings fan's are awful examples of humanity. I swore to never attend another game when they are in town, even Playoff games. Security did nothing BTW. I have been to dozens of NFL, MLB, College B-Ball and F-Ball games and many Preds games since and have never seen people act that way.