HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Sweden (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   SHL: Adam Almqvist (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=868958)

R S 01-24-2011 09:45 PM

Adam Almqvist

For the Swedes who have watched him, how is he progressing?

He was the last overall pick by the Wings a couple years ago and was progressing well last I heard. His numbers are solid so far, but has his skating and physical play improved at all?

Is he ever going to be a pro player in North America?

Doghandler 02-01-2011 05:19 PM

Adam seems to have been slowing down a bit progressionwise this year in comparison to the last couple of seasons. At least that seems to be the general consensus, I dont agree.

With HV loosing a couple of keyplayers on defence, (Janne Niinimaa and David Petrasek) I got the feeling that Adam felt he needed to step up a bit and I think you could see it in his game in the beginning of the season. He was overthinking stuff so to speak. With the return of injured veterandefenseman Mikko Luoma both the HV defence corpse, and Adam, seems to have gotten some stability and play has been a lot better.

His + - has improved so far, and he is getting on average 2 + more minutes of TOI. I know there has been some discussions about him beeing better offensively but worse defensively this year, which the numbers would support. I dont agree totally, with the icetime also comes the fact he is facing the other teams scoringlines more. I'd say he is defensively better than last year even if he has been on the ice on more goals against. Even though it's nice to see his + - go up, what I have really liked so far this year is his shot totals. He is shooting a lot more this year.

Areas he needs to work on is still his speed, obviously the size.

I think he is progressing as expected, which is well. Predictions as for the NHL. In my opinion he needs 2, maybe 3 more seasons of steady progress and then give it a shot. Seeing as he is elevating his play when paired with a veteran I'd say that supports the fact he still is very much in "training"

FabricDetails 02-01-2011 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doghandler (Post 30588377)
Areas he needs to work on is still his speed, obviously the size.

Can you talk a little more about his skating/speed? That is probably his biggest obstacle to the NHL.

Doghandler 02-02-2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FabricDetails (Post 30590531)
Can you talk a little more about his skating/speed? That is probably his biggest obstacle to the NHL.

I would rank him as an average to just above average skater , when watching him you get the feeling the "bite" is not quite there. Be it because of lacking lower body strength or if it is not just in him, I cant tell. I have a hard time seeing him as a strong skater even if he continues to develop strength.

I have spoken to some people that actually likes his skating, saying he is fast, in my opinion that is his hockeysense coming into play. Not the speed. I might be wrong though.

I'll be there Saturday for the game against Skelleftea with a bunch of experianced former players and will try to pay some extra attention to him on the ice. That is if we dont have too many beers pre game :D

R S 02-03-2011 03:56 PM

Thanks for the info!

Anchor Town 11-25-2011 04:28 PM

His production is getting better this year as hoped. How has the rest of his game come? And how big is he now? He was last listed at 6' 174lbs

FabricDetails 12-04-2011 07:08 PM

I kind of hope he stays in SEL for another year but his contract with Detroit has two years after this year. They probably want him to use the rest of his contract to adjust to the NA rink and style. Detroit's minor league team needs to have a little better personnel on defense in order to not only help Almqvist's development but also win more and play a better team system.

Konnan511 01-19-2012 07:34 PM

Any new updates on this kid? I thought by his numbers he is having a great season, but I was hoping someone who watches a lot of SEL or HV-71 could give some insight on his play down the stretch?

How's his skating, i've heard both ends of the spectrum saying it's below average to that he is not fast but quick. How's his defense?

FabricDetails 02-08-2012 05:19 PM

Interesting dilemma for Almqvist in terms of next year.

Hakan Andersson says that HV-71 has two offensive defensemen in front of AA right now and so he doesn't get prime time on the power play.

Overall I'd rather he stay in Sweden for next year. However, if a good team like HV-71 with all their depth simply feel as if they can't entrust a player like Almqvist with more responsibilities on offense then maybe he should make the move to Grand Rapids, MI for his individual ambitions. Because next year GR will be starved for a power play quarterback like him.

However, I fear that with his size and average skating ability that he'll get beaten to a pulp in the AHL. I don't mean to knock Almqvist but the AHL is what it is.

Is it possible that HV-71 trade him to another SEL organization? Perhaps one that needs more help on their power play?

joe89 02-08-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FabricDetails (Post 43812423)
Interesting dilemma for Almqvist in terms of next year.

Hakan Andersson says that HV-71 has two offensive defensemen in front of AA right now and so he doesn't get prime time on the power play.

Overall I'd rather he stay in Sweden for next year. However, if a good team like HV-71 with all their depth simply feel as if they can't entrust a player like Almqvist with more responsibilities on offense then maybe he should make the move to Grand Rapids, MI for his individual ambitions. Because next year GR will be starved for a power play quarterback like him.

However, I fear that with his size and average skating ability that he'll get beaten to a pulp in the AHL. I don't mean to knock Almqvist but the AHL is what it is.

Is it possible that HV-71 trade him to another SEL organization? Perhaps one that needs more help on their power play?

You pretty much nailed it.

He's under contract with Detroit, they can advise him to go elsewhere in the summer. It's a long shot since he's a local boy, but well, it's his career and he has to make the calls. If it comes down to that I think he would opt to go overseas. In my opinion, it has to be considered. He can't be treading water for another season.

Eaglepride* 02-08-2012 06:56 PM

Next year will be a very defining one for him. I wouldn't say he's fallen off the radar with HV, just some players catched up.

Pulk up in the summer like crazy and then head over to the AHL might be the way to go.

FabricDetails 02-09-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe89 (Post 43815657)
You pretty much nailed it.

He's under contract with Detroit, they can advise him to go elsewhere in the summer. It's a long shot since he's a local boy, but well, it's his career and he has to make the calls. If it comes down to that I think he would opt to go overseas. In my opinion, it has to be considered. He can't be treading water for another season.

What you mean exactly by overseas? The AHL? Or KHL?

No chance of him maybe going to another SEL team? Maybe a team in need of talent like Modo or Timra?

DregerFan 02-22-2012 12:05 PM

Any more details on Almqvist?

Doghandler 03-28-2012 01:44 AM

With HV out of the SEL playoffs. Adam is now finishing the season in Grand Rapids. According to local newssite Jnytt (www.jnytt.se) he intends to stay in NA to fight for a rosterspot next season.