HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Colorado Avalanche (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Speculation: Craig Anderson - What to do? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=870342)

AvsGuy 01-28-2011 01:21 PM

Craig Anderson - What to do?

What's everyone's opinion on the Craig Anderson situation? Will he be re-signed? Will he be traded before the deadline?

I'm of the opinion that we should do whatever we can to keep Craig Anderson. Consistently great teams are built from the net out, and he should be an unmovable piece on this team, no matter how mediocre he's been this season.

Thoughts?

Bubba Thudd 01-28-2011 01:44 PM

If he'll sign another 1 or 2 year contract, for about the same salary as he's getting now, I'm for it. I wouldn't give him a long contract, nor a sizable raise, just because he was great last year. I think his play last year + his play this year should earn him another "probationary" contract to determine if he truly is the future in net for Colorado.

forsbergavs32 01-28-2011 01:47 PM

I thought the last 10 or so games, hes looked like he doesnt care out there, but after he came in to relieve Budaj in the Phoenix game, I thought he looked good there. If he can perform solid like he did in that game he should be resigned to a 1 year deal...If he doesnt play well, then maybe we should look into FA/Trade in the offseason.

IcedMaidenDeth 01-28-2011 01:51 PM

I suspect he'll be given another chance next year, although we might try to improve over Budaj incase Anderson doesn't do well again.

Personally, I think we should go hard after Vokoun or Bryzgalov, if they're available at the trade deadline or during free agency (or Rinne the year after). I don't suspect they will be free agents, though, so unless we can trade for them, we're probably stuck with Anderson for another few years, and hopefully he can play like last year.

BoxOfChocolates 01-28-2011 01:51 PM

Look for other options, if not re-sign him to a 1 year contract. (Which IMO won't happen, he'll leave for longer term and more money.

Mouse21* 01-28-2011 02:23 PM

get him the **** out of here, bring in a real number 1. we havent had one for a mother****ing decade.
other than last year i guess.

Freudian 01-28-2011 02:26 PM

If he doesn't elevate his game in the coming three months, I don't think Avs should look to continue the relationship. He hasn't looked like a #1 for more than short spurts in over a year now.

R S 01-28-2011 02:55 PM

I would give him a one year deal at around the same price range. That's his chance to prove his worth.

Bender 01-28-2011 03:09 PM

I still like this guy and I still believe he can be a good number 1 goalie. It's not like he's had a lot of help...we're pretty bad on defense and he hasn't bailed us out, standing on his head like he did last year. I don't think you can expect that every night, (and IF that was the case, he'd be looking at $4M-$5M per year over a minimum of 3 years) I think he can be a bit better but our D also has to get better as well.

I think a 1 or 2 year extension at $2M per year sounds about right and won't break the bank. The Avs NEED to bring in someone who can shoulder the load though...whether that's Calvin Pickard or a solid, experienced guy. I really believe that's a necessity to push Anderson. The Budaj experiment is over.

Pure 01-28-2011 03:35 PM

Sign him. 3 year 9 mill. He has not been the problem, our defence is even worse than last year.

Bubba Thudd 01-28-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pure (Post 30519254)
Sign him. 3 year 9 mill. He has not been the problem, our defence is even worse than last year.

get ice girls......then Craig would sign for less.

BoxOfChocolates 01-28-2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pure (Post 30519254)

You think he deserves a raise and a long(er) contract?

54toscore 01-28-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freudian (Post 30518048)
If he doesn't elevate his game in the coming three months, I don't think Avs should look to continue the relationship. He hasn't looked like a #1 for more than short spurts in over a year now.

Anderson played great in October 2009 and part of that November. Anderson was very, very good in the playoff series against San Jose. Other than that, in my opinion, he's looked like a middle-of-the-road goalie. Consistency counts in goaltending. Down the stretch, he'll be playing for a new contract, either with us or with another team. If he doesn't succeed, some team will probably sign him as a backup. There's an outside chance that team will be us if we bring in an established #1 like a Vokoun or Bryzgalov, but probably not.

shadow1 01-28-2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AvsGuy (Post 30517100)
Consistently great teams are built from the net out, and he should be an unmovable piece on this team, no matter how mediocre he's been this season.

I feel this statement contradicts itself.

Anderson's goaltending was out of this world in the first half of 2009-2010, but has gone from average to bad since then. Other than the playoffs against San Jose and a few odd games (like the Dallas game last March) between last January and now, he's been pretty bad. At best, wildly inconsistent.

I hope Pickard plays in the NHL next season, as I do think he can be a starter in this league. Whether the other goalie on the roster is Anderson or not, it probably doesn't matter. He seems shaken, and I'm doubting he regains his composure while on the Avalanche (barring some other change, like coaching).

R S 01-28-2011 03:51 PM

Ray Emery?

bohlmeister 01-28-2011 03:54 PM

I think he needs to re-hab his knee. It isn't a skill or ability problem. He isn't healthy IMO. His quickness is gone. Get him back to 100% and he is our #1 again.

He struggled a little at the beginning of the year, but he also stole us a game against New Jersey.

I think we should hold on to him. There isn't going to be a better goalie available anyways.

S E P H 01-28-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings (Post 30519497)
Ray Emery?

I asked that and people shot me down. I still think 1 year deal in the AHL with Cash would benefit our goaler system.

So we would have,

1. Anderson [Resign to a 1 year deal, don't care how much he get's paid]
2. Budaj/Open [Hopefully a number 1 that can battle for the starter job]
3. Emery [In case any one get's injured]
4. Cash

Unaffiliated 01-28-2011 03:59 PM

At least give him a chance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi (Post 25286650)
Craig Anderson is a franchise goalie.

The Colorado Avalanche can and will win the Stanley Cup with him in net.

I cannot stop shaking.

I love you all

Pure 01-28-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxOfChocolates (Post 30519302)
You think he deserves a raise and a long(er) contract?

Yup. Hes a good goalie playing behind a **** defence and a run and gun offence. If we can improve our play in front of the net and give him a chance to stop the shots, he'll look like a stud again.

Avs_19 01-28-2011 04:02 PM

If he actually starts playing like a starting goalie then bring him back. If he keeps playing like this, time to find a new goalie.

Since Roy retired 7 years ago we have had Lacroix, Giguere, and now Sherman as GMs. None of them have been able to find a #1 goalie. Aebischer for 1.5 years, Theodore for 2.5 years, Budaj for a year, and Anderson for 2 years(if he doesn't return).

S E P H 01-28-2011 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pure (Post 30519654)
Yup. Hes a good goalie playing behind a **** defence and a run and gun offence. If we can improve our play in front of the net and give him a chance to stop the shots, he'll look like a stud again.

Why does the team have to make him look like a stud this season when last season he made the team look like the stud. I'm not disagreeing with you at all because if we want to become Cup contenders soon we have to make him look like Niemi.

Freudian 01-28-2011 04:07 PM

So if Andy ends up the season with .900 save % and 3.00 GAA, some of you want to resign him to a multi-year contract? Those kind of numbers were enough to get Aebischer shipped out.

Pure 01-28-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freudian (Post 30519726)
So if Andy ends up the season with .900 save % and 3.00 GAA, some of you want to resign him to a multi-year contract? Those kind of numbers were enough to get Aebischer shipped out.

So lets go overpay for Vokoun who will also put up .900 sv% and 3.00GAA behind this garbage defence?

Avs_19 01-28-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pure (Post 30519654)

He can't control what should be easy rebounds and once he goes down, he's not getting back up. He barely gets from one side of the net to the other. How is that the D's fault?

The defense and forwards aren't really helping us prevent goals but neither is Anderson.

As Dater has mentioned a couple times in his blogs/articles, the defense has no faith in the goaltending and the goalies have no faith in the defense. When the defense is actually playing well, Anderson will allow a soft goal. When Anderson is playing well, the defense will give up an odd man rush.

I don't see how anyone can sit there and defend Anderson while blaming everyone else. The coaches, goalies, defense, and forwards should all share the blame for the Avs allowing the 3rd most goals in the league.

shadow1 01-28-2011 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pure (Post 30519809)
So lets go overpay for Vokoun who will also put up .900 sv% and 3.00GAA behind this garbage defence?

Because Florida's defense is so good.

I personally think getting Vokoun would be a horrible move, given his age (34) and injury history (pretty much misses 5-10 games a year). But let's not make it sound like it's completely impossible to play goalie with the Avalanche's defense. Both guys have given up softies galore.