HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Weal/Kitsyn (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=870630)

ShawnTHW 01-29-2011 02:35 PM

Weal/Kitsyn

For those who have seen either play or from what you have heard what do you think the chances that they will ever crack the lineup? Who do you think has the better shot?

I saw Kitsyn play at the WJC and was quite impressed. Weal has been putting up solid numbers without Eberle in Regina but the only problem is is that the Kings are stacked at center, both in the NHL and in prospects. I am assuming Schenn and Loktionov are ahead of Weal in the battle for center...

Reaper45 01-29-2011 02:38 PM

Loktionov will likely be converted to wing. Same with Weal. Same as Moller was before them. The Kings opt for big bodies down the middle. If I had to pick who'd be more likely to make the team I'd say Kitsyn.

123slam 01-29-2011 04:09 PM

Lokti is gonna stay at center...isn't that what Lombardi said after he got sent down at the beginning of the year?

Mr Irreverent 01-29-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 123slam (Post 30534590)
Lokti is gonna stay at center...isn't that what Lombardi said after he got sent down at the beginning of the year?

I hope you're right.

kingsfan 01-29-2011 04:54 PM

I think Kitsyn makes the NHL before Weal. Kitsyn likely would have been a much higher draft pick if he wasn't Russian.

Kurrilino 01-29-2011 04:57 PM

Loktionov is a pure playmaker.
Everyone who puts him on wing on a regular base belongs into a padded room.
Moller on the other hand would succeed at 1st left wing position.
Why he isn't used for that is far beyond me.

For the case of Weal i would say he is future trade bait.
Kytsin will be a left winger for us sooner or later

Cook24 01-29-2011 05:12 PM

I'm sorry but with Kopitar and Schenn looking to be our 2 Centers of the future, our best bet with Loktionov is as a LW. What LW's do we have in our system that will likely be top 2 line material? Maybe Kitsyn? Thats it. Kopi and Schenn will be our top 2 centers, Lokti isn't meant for a 3rd line checking role. We need him to move to the left side.

I see something like this next season...

Loktionov-Kopitar-Brown
Smyth-Schenn-Williams
Clifford-Stoll-Simmonds
Richardson-Lewis-Parse/Westgarth

It would be suicide to trade Stoll and have 2 rookie Centers as our #2 and #3

Only thing thats plausible is if we let Stoll walk after next season, we could have Kopitar as #1, Lokti as #2, and Schenn as #3 center, but that just seems like a waste to have Schenn as a #3. I'd rather resign Stoll as our Handzus replacement for a number of years.

Ziggy Stardust 01-29-2011 07:28 PM

What's wrong with Loktionov as a LW? Look at Zetterberg, a C converted to LW. There are other playmaking wingers that are successful, such as Hemsky, Eriksson... Giroux is also a C that's been converted to wing. I think he'll make a quick transition to the position.

Reaper45 01-29-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust (Post 30538448)
What's wrong with Loktionov as a LW? Look at Zetterberg, a C converted to LW. There are other playmaking wingers that are successful, such as Hemsky, Eriksson... Giroux is also a C that's been converted to wing. I think he'll make a quick transition to the position.

Exactly.

Mr Irreverent 01-29-2011 08:12 PM

Nothing wrong with Lokti at LW, I just have this fantasy that he's going to be the next Datsyuk... at Center.

Kurrilino 01-29-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust (Post 30538448)

Well nothign really wrong.
He is just a superb playmaker and converting him to wing is a waste of his skills in my eyes.

If i think about a winger i have a Nash type in my mind.

Mike The Franchise 01-29-2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsfan (Post 30535080)
I think Kitsyn makes the NHL before Weal. Kitsyn likely would have been a much higher draft pick if he wasn't Russian.

Or if he wasn't injured for the whole season leading into the draft. Before that year he was projected to be the next Malkin but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Zad 01-29-2011 11:03 PM

Kozun makes it before either of them... :)

kingsfan 01-29-2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook24 (Post 30535297)
I'm sorry but with Kopitar and Schenn looking to be our 2 Centers of the future, our best bet with Loktionov is as a LW. What LW's do we have in our system that will likely be top 2 line material? Maybe Kitsyn? Thats it. Kopi and Schenn will be our top 2 centers, Lokti isn't meant for a 3rd line checking role. We need him to move to the left side.

Loktionov-Kopitar-Brown
Smyth-Schenn-Williams
Clifford-Stoll-Simmonds

Only thing thats plausible is if we let Stoll walk after next season, we could have Kopitar as #1, Lokti as #2, and Schenn as #3 center, but that just seems like a waste to have Schenn as a #3. I'd rather resign Stoll as our Handzus replacement for a number of years.

This. I agree 100%. If we can convert loktionov's skills to the wing, he's a top 2 line winger in the mold of a guy like Hemsky I think. Kopitar-Schenn-Stoll centre depth looks great to me.

kingsfan 01-29-2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kovalchuk89 (Post 30541748)
Or if he wasn't injured for the whole season leading into the draft. Before that year he was projected to be the next Malkin but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

I think the next Malkin is a big stretch, even at the time (which i don't remember ever being said, but that's besides the point. Unless you are a top end guy, usually Russian players fall way down the list due to risks of them coming over/staying. Kitsyn should have been a 2nd rounder likely.

Mike The Franchise 01-30-2011 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsfan (Post 30542751)
I think the next Malkin is a big stretch, even at the time (which i don't remember ever being said, but that's besides the point. Unless you are a top end guy, usually Russian players fall way down the list due to risks of them coming over/staying. Kitsyn should have been a 2nd rounder likely.

Completely agree with the whole Russian thing. I was just trying to give reason as to why he was drafted in the 7th round.

JBernierFan 01-30-2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kovalchuk89 (Post 30543883)
Completely agree with the whole Russian thing. I was just trying to give reason as to why he was drafted in the 7th round.

6th round, 158th overall. What a steal this looks like. I know it's early and he's only 19, but he had a great WJC and has played well wherever he has gone. He's already 6'4, almost 200lbs I believe. I think what I like most about him is that he doesn't shy away from contact and actually uses his big body, unlike Frolov. I hope he becomes what we always hoped Fro would be.

Josh Deitell 01-30-2011 02:39 PM

The Kings are probably going to start with Loktionov at wing for the same reason the Predators have played Colin Wilson there: to let him focus on offense and take some of the defensive burden off him. Once he gets stronger, he could probably move back to center and be a quality player there.

Mike The Franchise 01-30-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBernierFan (Post 30547126)
6th round, 158th overall. What a steal this looks like. I know it's early and he's only 19, but he had a great WJC and has played well wherever he has gone. He's already 6'4, almost 200lbs I believe. I think what I like most about him is that he doesn't shy away from contact and actually uses his big body, unlike Frolov. I hope he becomes what we always hoped Fro would be.

Oops my bad thanks for the correction.

johnjm22 01-30-2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBernierFan (Post 30547126)

The world of Russian and Eastern European prospects is shady. There's been rumors that sometimes ages are "misreported." Kitsyn doesn't look 19 to me.

no name 01-30-2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnjm22 (Post 30554962)
The world of Russian and Eastern European prospects is shady. There's been rumors that sometimes ages are "misreported." Kitsyn doesn't look 19 to me.

I doubt it. It's Russia, not a third world country. In fact there hasn't been any cases where age has been disguised or fake identities given from my quick search. Many, many russians look older than they actualy are. I assume it has something to do with the way they were raised.

Sydor25 01-30-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no name (Post 30557277)
I doubt it. It's Russia, not a third world country. In fact there hasn't been any cases where age has been disguised or fake identities given from my quick search. Many, many russians look older than they actualy are. I assume it has something to do with the way they were raised.

It's all that vodka at a young age. ;)

kingsfan 01-31-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnjm22 (Post 30554962)

If he passed the screening of the NHL draft and the WJC committee, then I'm down with him being 19, regardless of his looks.

wings5 02-02-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook24 (Post 30535297)

Loktionov-Kopitar-Brown
Smyth-Schenn-Williams
Clifford-Stoll-Simmonds

Where is Moller?

johnjm22 02-02-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wings5 (Post 30613543)
Where is Moller?

In the minors or traded.

I'm skeptical that he'll ever be a top 6 NHL player.