HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Speculation: Brad Richards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=871035)

Pengo 01-30-2011 09:38 PM

Brad Richards

Brad Richards is exactly what this team needs. He's a #1 center, Conn Smythe winner, and one of the best PPQB's in the league.

I mentioned this in another thread, but it's going to be awhile before another true #1 center is a UFA and that's Malkin in 2014. There's Crosby and Getzlaf in 2013 but they will definitely be re-signed by their current teams. That's three more seasons after this one.

If Richards decides not to take a salary cut to stay in Dallas, we (with Pegula) would easily be able to outbid them. And Buffalo has tons of salary room with both Connolly and Rivet off the books.

Is it at all realistic to think that Richards could be a Sabre next season? What would you offer him if you were the GM?

TehDoak 01-30-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kassian (Post 30558381)

Is it at all realistic to think that Richards could be a Sabre next season? What would you offer him if you were the GM?

No, its not realistic at all.

Pengo 01-30-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TehDoak (Post 30558491)
No, its not realistic at all.

NYR and Toronto fans would probably say, "Yeah, we could totally sign Richards!"

So why not us? :P

Shmuffalo 01-30-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kassian (Post 30558617)
NYR and Toronto fans would probably say, "Yeah, we could totally sign Richards!"

We're Buffalo.

jBuds 01-30-2011 09:57 PM

Not for nothing... but has Pegula ever actually spoken about being proactive in free agency and at the trade deadline? I've been reading a TON of assumptions lately.

Zip15 01-30-2011 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kassian (Post 30558617)

And their teams reside in Toronto and Manhattan, respectively. Our team resides in Buffalo. There's a big difference.

It's not realistic at all to expect that we'll get Richards. Buffalo gets free agents they overpay for--at the time, at least--like Leopold and Monty, or free agents who are low on options like Grier in summer 2009. Unfortunately, if Richards even makes it to July 1, he'll have plenty of suitors, and ones with deep pockets at that. Hence, it is unrealistic to expect Richards to be in a Sabre uniform this year. Yet I'm sure we'll get a few Sabres Edge posters and Whiner Line callers lambasting management for "coming up short" on Richards this July 2nd.

Pengo 01-30-2011 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jBuds (Post 30558742)
I've been reading a TON of assumptions lately.

It's not assumptions, it's hope. :)

drinking bleach irl 01-30-2011 10:09 PM

It's unrealistic for any team except Dallas to "expect" to have Richards next year, but that's semantics.

The Sabres won't be high on the list if they pursue him, but if Pegula goes Al Davis on us who knows.

Freezerburn 01-30-2011 10:11 PM

Brad Richards is exactly what a lot of teams need. There is a reason he will get the highest payout of all the UFA's this summer.

enrothorne 01-30-2011 10:23 PM

I know you're new to the boards Kassian, but this topic has been beaten to death. Pie in the sky for it to happen.

WhoIsJimBob 01-31-2011 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems (Post 30558927)
It's unrealistic for any team except Dallas to "expect" to have Richards next year, but that's semantics.

Since there are questions about Dallas' player payroll budget in the near term due to their owner's cash flow issues and Richards' impending UFA status, I wouldn't say it's realistic for the Stars to expect to have Richards in 2011-12.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems (Post 30558927)
The Sabres won't be high on the list if they pursue him, but if Pegula goes Al Davis on us who knows.

Richards would fill a huge need for the Sabres, IMO.

But, I'm not expecting him to land here for a variety of reasons.

Richards is going to be the #1 UFA on the market. I just can't see the #1 UFA to land in Buffalo regardless of who owns the team and who the GM is.

Buffaloed 01-31-2011 11:54 AM

If Richards goes on the open market I don't think the Sabres have a chance. I think his agent would use the Sabres offer to up the bids from teams in more desirable markets. The Sabres best chance would be to trade for Richard's negotiating rights before he hits UFA.

Pengo 01-31-2011 12:02 PM

That's a very interesting thought, Buffaloed.

For reference, Jay Bouwmeester's rights were traded for the rights to Jordan Leopold and a third. Richards would probably cost more, but the question is how much more.

thefifagod 01-31-2011 12:07 PM

I can't see us getting him if he hits the market, but it seems more likely that he's going to resign in Dallas considering their success so far this year and his liking of Dallas as a city.

ClearedButNotOut 01-31-2011 12:38 PM

:deadhorse <<<<<< This.

drinking bleach irl 01-31-2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bob (Post 30564093)
Since there are questions about Dallas' player payroll budget in the near term due to their owner's cash flow issues and Richards' impending UFA status, I wouldn't say it's realistic for the Stars to expect to have Richards in 2011-12.

Eh, I meant more in the sense that both sides have confirmed contract talks and the lenders have approved breaking the bank for him. Out of all the NHL teams I'd certainly say their chances are the best.

Zip15 01-31-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffaloed (Post 30564597)
If Richards goes on the open market I don't think the Sabres have a chance. I think his agent would use the Sabres offer to up the bids from teams in more desirable markets. The Sabres best chance would be to trade for Richard's negotiating rights before he hits UFA.

At that point, the player is likely going to July 1 where he can pick his destination. We saw this with Hamhuis last season. Jay Bo wanted to play in Calgary. I can't see Richards wanting to play in Buffalo.

sabresandcanucks 01-31-2011 03:27 PM

Your looking at an 8.5 million dollar CAP hit to bring him in. Only this type of overpayment would seduce him to sign here.

He's more likely to sign in New York or Toronto for around 7, 7.5 million long term.

CupWanted 01-31-2011 03:42 PM

Unless Richards has some interest in playing in Buffalo that no one knows about the kind of coin and more importantly term it would take to bring him to Buffalo would make his contract a Gomez like albatross 2-3 years down the road. Given the poor UFA class this year GMs will be lining up to overpay for his services.

WhoIsJimBob 01-31-2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems (Post 30568275)
Eh, I meant more in the sense that both sides have confirmed contract talks and the lenders have approved breaking the bank for him. Out of all the NHL teams I'd certainly say their chances are the best.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/Sports/...-this-season/1

Quote:

Richards is one of the best players in the NHL, as his appearance in Sunday’s All-Star Game will attest . Yet he can become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season , and with their unsettled ownership situation the Stars have not been able to offer him a contract extension.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...ree-agency.ece

Quote:

I'm betting on Brad Richards being a better guy than Cliff Lee. Do you think he believes enough to stay, even with team ownership being in question?

It's difficult to get into his head. If they win the Cup and don't have a new owner, he might stay. If they lose in the first round and don't have a new owner, he might go. It's just so hard to make that kind of decision when all of the information isn't in yet. I know that he did not enjoy the situation in Tampa where he had to go through an ownership change, so he would like some certainty if he is going to commit to a place for the rest of his career.

I know this often comes down to loyalty for the fans, but I think you look at the decision Cliff Lee made, and it's a great decision for himself and his family, and it's a decision he earned by becoming a free agent. I don't know how you can rip a player for that. Brad has earned the right to become a free agent, so he has control of his life from here. We just have to be patient and see what happens.

WhoIsJimBob 01-31-2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CupWanted (Post 30568727)
Unless Richards has some interest in playing in Buffalo that no one knows about the kind of coin and more importantly term it would take to bring him to Buffalo would make his contract a Gomez like albatross 2-3 years down the road. Given the poor UFA class this year GMs will be lining up to overpay for his services.

The shallowness of the UFA pool (especially at forward) makes me awfully afraid of going after Richards because I have a feeling that the years AND the dollars will be insane.

JOHNBOY 01-31-2011 04:33 PM

No way he comes to Buffalo, wishful thinking though...

Buffaloed 01-31-2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zip15 (Post 30568478)
At that point, the player is likely going to July 1 where he can pick his destination. We saw this with Hamhuis last season. Jay Bo wanted to play in Calgary. I can't see Richards wanting to play in Buffalo.

We also saw the Flyers successfully sign Hartnell and Timonen in 2007 after trading a first round pick for their rights. A lot of players aren't thrilled with the idea of playing in Buffalo until they get here. Then they don't want to leave. Trading for his rights gives the Sabres a chance to show him why. Miller and Vanek would probably fight over who gets to show him around. They could recruit his buddy Dave Andreychuk to help with the sales pitch. Leading a team with a new deep-pocketed owner who's committed to winning a cup might appeal to Richards. They'll never know if he would have come here unless they try.

ColonelForbin 01-31-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffaloed (Post 30569725)
We also saw the Flyers successfully sign Hartnell and Timonen in 2007 after trading a first round pick for their rights. A lot of players aren't thrilled with the idea of playing in Buffalo until they get here. Then they don't want to leave. Trading for his rights gives the Sabres a chance to show him why. Miller and Vanek would probably fight over who gets to show him around. They could recruit his buddy Dave Andreychuk to help with the sales pitch. Leading a team with a new deep-pocketed owner who's committed to winning a cup might appeal to Richards. They'll never know if he would have come here unless they try.

Also, it can't just be assumed that everyone prefers living in a large city and huge media market. Some people don't.

SabresFanNorthPortFL 01-31-2011 05:01 PM

Better off targeting Malkin after the playoffs and way-way-way overpay the Penguins. Maybe after the playoffs they will look at retooling their team, ie get the right winger for Crosby and give the blossoming Staal more of a 2nd center role.

Richards would be nice but until we show the rest of the NHL players we are commited and we righted the crap that went down with the captains, it's going to be tough to lure that top tier talent.

Something like 2 firsts
Ennis
Pomminville
Top Prospect..

for Malkin

Yeah, crazy but in my opinion that's what we'll need to do to bring in that #1 center.