HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Goalie Niklas Backstrom to the Leafs in the offseason. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=871109)

LEAFANFORLIFE23 01-31-2011 01:44 AM

Goalie Niklas Backstrom to the Leafs in the offseason.

Listening to Dreger talk couple days ago an sportscenter you got the sense that Brian Burke was not going to allow us to be as bad as we have been this season his main target is apperently a #1 goalie. With that in mind do you think if the wild miss the playoffs that they could deal Backstrom at the draft and if so what would it take to bring the goalie to Toronto? I think Burke would pay a nice price to aquire a legit #1 goalie the Caliber of a Niklas Backstrom.

what do you think is there a deal there to be made between the Leafs and wild at the draft? and if so what would it take?

seanlinden 01-31-2011 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 (Post 30560805)
Listening to Dreger talk couple days ago an sportscenter you got the sense that Brian Burke was not going to allow us to be as bad as we have been this season his main target is apperently a #1 goalie. With that in mind do you think if the wild miss the playoffs that they could deal Backstrom at the draft and if so what would it take to bring the goalie to Toronto? I think Burke would pay a nice price to aquire a legit #1 goalie the Caliber of a Niklas Backstrom.

what do you think is there a deal there to be made between the Leafs and wild at the draft? and if so what would it take?

At $6m (for 2 years this time) to a 33-year old goaltender, I would hope Burke declines to make that mistake again.

Xelstyle 01-31-2011 01:50 AM

This reminds me of the trade for Toskala back in 07 somewhat.
If you take that as a measuring stick, Toronto's 1st and 2nd seems to be the price. Possibly the 2nd could be change to a 3rd but that's my rough estimate.

Skip Sheffield 01-31-2011 01:57 AM

So...who starts for the Wild?

Why would Backstrom be moved? I am confused, Buffalo is going to miss the playoffs, should they trade Miller? LA, Quick? Calgary, Kipper? CBJ, Mason?

Flawed in principle.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 01-31-2011 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfried (Post 30560817)
At $6m (for 2 years this time) to a 33-year old goaltender, I would hope Burke declines to make that mistake again.

33 isn't that old for a goalie they do tend to play at a higher level for a longer period of time then most forwards and D

seanlinden 01-31-2011 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 (Post 30560870)
33 isn't that old for a goalie they do tend to play at a higher level for a longer period of time then most forwards and D

Strangely enough.... JS Giguere is 33 years old. How's that working out?

Brian Burke needs to get off the "build from the net out" principle. It's great if you've got access to the elite goaltenders (see Lundqvist, Miller, Luongo, etc), but anytime else, you're only setting yourself up for disappointment in goal if you're paying $6m for a goalie.

Teams figured it out this year for the most part -- spend $3-4m on a pair of goalies. Make your team strong enough around them so that the quality of goaltending isn't that important and any time they steal a game is a pleasant suprise instead of having to rely on the goalie to do so.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 01-31-2011 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Faith (Post 30560869)

Why would Backstrom be moved? I am confused, Buffalo is going to miss the playoffs, should they trade Miller? LA, Quick? Calgary, Kipper? CBJ, Mason?

Flawed in principle.

yes the flames should asctually deal kipper they need young assets and he could bring them back and get the rebuild off to a good start.

This thread is not about Kipper though

Winroba 01-31-2011 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Faith (Post 30560869)

Flawed in principle.

Just for the record, Calgary definitely should trade Kipper in the off-season if they miss the playoffs.

He could be gotten for a few picks. Maybe a 3rd + a decent prospect or an okay roster player?

LEAFANFORLIFE23 01-31-2011 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfried (Post 30560903)
Strangely enough.... JS Giguere is 33 years old. How's that working out?

Brian Burke needs to get off the "build from the net out" principle. It's great if you've got access to the elite goaltenders (see Lundqvist, Miller, Luongo, etc), but anytime else, you're only setting yourself up for disappointment in goal if you're paying $6m for a goalie.

Teams figured it out this year for the most part -- spend $3-4m on a pair of goalies. Make your team strong enough around them so that the quality of goaltending isn't that important and any time they steal a game is a pleasant suprise instead of having to rely on the goalie to do so.

JS is the exception to the rule not the rule and you know it.

seanlinden 01-31-2011 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 (Post 30560942)
JS is the exception to the rule not the rule and you know it.

Knowing Toronto's luck, Backstrom will be the next "exception to the rule".

usernam* 01-31-2011 02:19 AM

So first is first. I'll take Versteeg for Backstrom. Straight up. Though you'll probably want more.

Second, the starter issue, we'd have Harding and Theodore.

Don't compare Giguere to Backstrom. You know Backstrom is much better. I can't tell you how many games he's either kept us in or stole for us this yer.

seanlinden 01-31-2011 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burns4Norris (Post 30560960)
So first is first. I'll take Versteeg for Backstrom. Straight up. Though you'll probably want more.

Don't compare Giguere to Backstrom. You know Backstrom is much better. I can't tell you how many games he's either kept us in or stole for us this yer.

I'm fully aware that Backstrom is much better right now, but the fact is it's a 2-year commitment, and he's getting older. After getting burned this year, I would much rather see Toronto spend $1-3m on a goaltender on a 1-year deal, let Reimer/Gustavsson and that goalie battle for time, and spend that money on adding size up front.

The only exception to that amongst potentially available goaltenders would be Bryzgalov, but even with him, if it costs much more than ~$5m, we're problably better off passing.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 01-31-2011 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burns4Norris (Post 30560960)

I was actually going to purpose Versteeg but wasn't sure if he would fit the wilds needs

usernam* 01-31-2011 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfried (Post 30560982)
I'm fully aware that Backstrom is much better right now, but the fact is it's a 2-year commitment, and he's getting older. I would much rather see Toronto spend $1-3m on a goaltender on a 1-year deal, let Reimer/Gustavsson and that goalie battle for time, and spend that money on adding size up front.

The only exception to that amongst potentially available goaltenders would be Bryzgalov, but even with him, if it costs much more than ~$5m, we're problably better off passing.

You act like two years is a lifetime commitment. He'll be your best (consistent) goalie in those two years. But if he happens to be replaced the second year, then at the very worst you'll have an extremely competent backup who costs 6m for half a season.

SolidSnakeUS 01-31-2011 02:45 AM

If you want Backstrom, start with Monster.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 01-31-2011 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS (Post 30561028)
If you want Backstrom, start with Monster.

I'd be quite fine with that actually

LEAFANFORLIFE23 01-31-2011 02:51 AM

I know I am going to jinx it lol but the fact that we haven't see a post include schenn or Kadri yet is suprising

SolidSnakeUS 01-31-2011 03:11 AM

How about Monster + Kulemin for Backstrom?

Sadly, it might have to be more from Toronto, mainly because Backstrom is a huge key piece for the Wild.

thestonedkoala 01-31-2011 04:26 AM

If can convince Backstrom to waive his NMC, probably not much to get him to Toronto. As good as Backstrom is, goaltenders are a dime a dozen in his league and the top goaltenders compared to the mid of the pack, there isn't a lot of difference. You get a strong team out in front of the goaltender and a good goaltender becomes elite.

WildisLaw 01-31-2011 04:56 AM

I think it would take 2 pieces no matter what it was. Versteeg and 2nd. Bozak and first. Versteeg/Bozak. I don't watch too many Leafs games but the Wild need top 6 forwards badly. I'm sure guys like Schenn, Kadri would be off limits, am I correct? Let me know what you guys think. I am surprised only a few wild fans have chimed in on this. Backstrom is a world class goalie.

Finnish Your Czechs 01-31-2011 05:41 AM

Jeff Finger straight up.

Maybe Minnesota should add. Right Leafs fans?

YouCantYandleThis* 01-31-2011 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi (Post 30561232)
If can convince Backstrom to waive his NMC, probably not much to get him to Toronto. As good as Backstrom is, goaltenders are a dime a dozen in his league and the top goaltenders compared to the mid of the pack, there isn't a lot of difference. You get a strong team out in front of the goaltender and a good goaltender becomes elite.

Oh yes clearly.

Look at Niemi on San Jose. Or Turco on Chicago.

MXD 01-31-2011 06:07 AM

Somebody mentionned a 1st and a 3rd...

Well, that's happens to be what the Blues paid for Jaroslav Halak.

Halak was younger, but the Habs were in a better position than the Wild to deal Halak (they weren't dealing their best goalie). So I'd expect something around a 1st and a 3rd.

... Kadri, Olsen for Backstrom

fearthetrap 01-31-2011 06:43 AM

I wouldn't mind a deal at the deadline. Giguere and future first for backstrom. Then we can ride JS, Theodore, or Khudobin if we make a playoff push.

Wild get cap relief at the end of the year

Toronto gets a legit number 1 goalie.

James Duthie 01-31-2011 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finnish Your Czechs (Post 30561349)
Jeff Finger straight up.

Maybe Minnesota should add. Right Leafs fans?

Troll.