HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Salary Cap: Vinny Prospal achieves $1.4M games played bonus (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=871122)

RangerBoy 01-31-2011 05:52 AM

Vinny Prospal achieves $1.4M games played bonus

Larry Brooks

Quote:

Prospal, who would earn a $1.4 million bonus for playing in 10 games on top of his $1.08 million base salary, hasn't played since last season. He will turn 36 on Feb. 17, and is trying to step into an accelerated pace.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1Cc2neXIe

Sather told LB in an email,"He is ready to go".

Talk about a miraculous recovery. From skating on one leg two weeks ago to playing in an NHL game for the first time in nearly 10 months.

The Rangers have $2.745M in cap space. $1.4M comes from Prospal's bonus and $1.3M comes from demoting Todd White to the AHL.

Blatant 01-31-2011 06:54 AM

They don't have any extra from the Rozy for Wolski trade? And I would assume Prospal plays those 10 games.. SO does that tie our hands around the deadline?

RangerBoy 01-31-2011 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 (Post 30561550)
They don't have any extra from the Rozy for Wolski trade? And I would assume Prospal plays those 10 games.. SO does that tie our hands around the deadline?

http://www.capgeek.com/tracker/team....ate=2011-01-31

Projected cap space $2,745,252 which doesn't include bonuses. That doesn't include Prospal's bonus or the other potential bonuses. If Vinny achieves the bonus,it counts against the $59.4M. Teams are allowed to exceed the upper limit by 7.5% to pay bonuses but they take a cap penalty next season. That hurts the Rangers next season. Zuccarello also has performance bonuses. MDZ,Stepan and McD also. They have the extra space from the Wolski trade but all of these injuries have eaten away at that number. Players on IR count. Injured players count. The Rangers haven't put a player on long term IR.

All these threads about the Rangers having so much money to spend were deceiving because Capgeek doesn't factor bonuses into the cap space and max acquisition space. There is a disclaimer about the bonuses but people don't read it. :)

Orr Nightmare 01-31-2011 07:29 AM

Good, let him get healthy so we can trade him @ the deadline.

JasonDoig* 01-31-2011 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare (Post 30561671)
Good, let him get healthy so we can trade him @ the deadline.

Yeah, I'm sure that's EXACTLY what the plan is :rolleyes:

xxxZENxxx 01-31-2011 08:23 AM

Players aren't put on LTIR until the hockey club needs them to be (for cap space). So we have another $3M of cap space to work with from the Frolov injury (if needed). We should therefore have approximately $5.7M to work with if Sather needs it... give or take any bonuses that are met and aren't deferred. Sather might also be thinking forward to a Drury buyout, so don't be surprised if he does everything possible to AVOID deferring any bonus money. Paying approx $3.7M for Drury next season on a buyout is a large dent in the cap, even though it will be necessary to net Richards this summer. Sather has the opportunity this year with this rare cap flexibility to burn the potential bonuses now.

Orr Nightmare 01-31-2011 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonDoig (Post 30561948)
Yeah, I'm sure that's EXACTLY what the plan is :rolleyes:

That would be my PLAN, out with the old and in with the NEW.

JasonDoig* 01-31-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare (Post 30561991)

So let me ask you:

I) If he comes back and sucks, then who the hell is going to trade for him?

II) If he comes back and doesn't suck, then why would we, a team lacking veterans, a team missing scoring, and a team with an awful powerplay, trade him?

Balej20* 01-31-2011 08:51 AM

Frolov can be put on LTIR....

NYROrtsFan 01-31-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare (Post 30561991)

We don't already have enough NEW guys?

Seriously, I think some of you would just see a team of 20 yr olds out there.

Orr Nightmare 01-31-2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonDoig (Post 30562133)
So let me ask you:

I) If he comes back and sucks, then who the hell is going to trade for him?

II) If he comes back and doesn't suck, then why would we, a team lacking veterans, a team missing scoring, and a team with an awful powerplay, trade him?

a Team lacking veterans has sure played with alot of heart and don't seem to missing leadership, especially with Cally and Dubi coming back...

Our 2nd oldest player also happens to be our worst player..

I like Prospal a lot and enjoy watching him play but this team is growing together and Prospal wont be here next year...why not get a pick or a prospect for him.

Orr Nightmare 01-31-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan (Post 30562170)
We don't already have enough NEW guys?

Seriously, I think some of you would just see a team of 20 yr olds out there.

I would rather see a bunch of kids than seeing Rozy and Drury skating around like they don't give a ******!

We dumped Rozy and all 8 of his fan's were crying how we were going to miss him.

Drury is next.

If Vinny can get us a 3rd or prospect, I would do it...

MugatuNYR 01-31-2011 09:55 AM

I'm really excited to have Prospal back on the ice. I could see it being a big boost for Gabby, who's most comfortable line-mates so far seem to be Avery and EC. I wouldn't be surprised to see:

Avery - Prospal - Gabby

and when EC comes back:

Prospal - EC - Gabby

Whatever gets this team's top player going will go a long way into making them playoff contenders.

Also, I don't see how his bonus would put the Rangers into the bonus cushion zone, especially when Frolov could still be put on LTIR. The Brooks article is about who would sit when everyone is healthy, not worrying about cap space and bonus cushion.

I don't think it would hamper the Rangers efforts to make any moves either. According to capgeek, the Rangers will have the ability to add players to a total of $12 million full-year salary at the trade deadline. Not sure how this is calculated. Maybe RangerBoy can shed some more light on the math involved, because it sure is confusing.

Gardner McKay 01-31-2011 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare (Post 30562635)
I would rather see a bunch of kids than seeing Rozy and Drury skating around like they don't give a ******!

We dumped Rozy
and all 8 of his fan's were crying how we were going to miss him.

Drury is next.

The only reason we "dumped" rozy is because he actually has value. Playing well enough to still earn top 4 minutes, actual $$ were much less than his cap hit.

Drury, while I am not sure of his actual $$ I would guess around 5.5 mil is still a 7 mil cap hit which either way does not help out teams who are not wanting to spend money. He has 6 assists on the season. Thats right S I X. As in 1 2 3 4 5... 6. Playing at worst 3rd line minutes.

Hate to break it to you kiddo but Drury isnt going anywhere and Prospal could provide as little as Drury is providing but at 2.5 mil it is much more tolerable.

Vitto79 01-31-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare (Post 30562635)

We dumped Rozy and all 8 of his fan's were crying how we were going to miss him.

Drury is next.

There is no chance Prospal gets moved. The guy has chemistry with Gaborik plus he is a UFA at yrs end so they will just let him walk. he's a great team guy and having him back in the lineup with Cally will be big

jc25 01-31-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolskii (Post 30562770)
Hate to break it to you kiddo but Drury isnt going anywhere and Prospal could provide as little as Drury is providing but at 2.5 mil it is much more tolerable.

Prospal will help out the powerplay more than drury

Wraparounds 01-31-2011 10:01 AM

RangerBoy, as the resident CBA expert, can you answer why Frolov is not on LTIR? And can Prospal be retroactively put on LTIR for the first 52 games?

Fitzy 01-31-2011 10:16 AM

Its actually a pretty good article by Brooksie. http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...8gNiztefSY5pxM

Sort of runs over the ups and downs of this and our concerns. Still, the beat writers have been very quiet on this.. Guess we'll see where he is in practice today.

GAGLine 01-31-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wraparounds (Post 30562819)
RangerBoy, as the resident CBA expert, can you answer why Frolov is not on LTIR? And can Prospal be retroactively put on LTIR for the first 52 games?

I'm not RB, but I'll do my best to answer it.

The cap is 59.4 mil. Assume we are currently at 57 mil. Putting Frolov on LTIR would allow us to go up to 60 mil (proration factors into all this, but I'm ignoring it for the sake of simplicity).

Now assume we are at 59 mil. We put Frolov on LTIR and we can go up to 62 mil.

In order to really see any benefit, we'd first have to spend to the cap, then put Frolov on LTIR. And remember, these are all prorated amounts. The actual amount we'd have to spend would be less, and we still need cap space for the bonuses.

So I really don't see the Rangers putting anyone on LTIR. Frolov is the only player who won't be back, it looks like, and he doesn't make enough the rest of the season to pay off our bonuses.

Fitzy 01-31-2011 10:28 AM

In essence, Vinny Prospal is our trade deadline acquisition unless we can make some space then?

Wraparounds 01-31-2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAGLine (Post 30563103)
I'm not RB, but I'll do my best to answer it.

The cap is 59.4 mil. Assume we are currently at 57 mil. Putting Frolov on LTIR would allow us to go up to 60 mil (proration factors into all this, but I'm ignoring it for the sake of simplicity).

Now assume we are at 59 mil. We put Frolov on LTIR and we can go up to 62 mil.

In order to really see any benefit, we'd first have to spend to the cap, then put Frolov on LTIR. And remember, these are all prorated amounts. The actual amount we'd have to spend would be less, and we still need cap space for the bonuses.

So I really don't see the Rangers putting anyone on LTIR. Frolov is the only player who won't be back, it looks like, and he doesn't make enough the rest of the season to pay off our bonuses.

Yes, I already understand all that. The point being is that we will make some form of deadline acquisition. So can we retroactively place players on LTIR to gain additional cap space.

Riche16 01-31-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY (Post 30562981)
Its actually a pretty good article by Brooksie. http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...8gNiztefSY5pxM

Sort of runs over the ups and downs of this and our concerns. Still, the beat writers have been very quiet on this.. Guess we'll see where he is in practice today.

Unfortunately the line that rings most to me is the one about Jagr saying options aren't always good.

I really feel that in our case what some perceive as "depth" is more about redundancy and no clear heirarchy... no clear top 3, top 6... etc.

I love that we're getting guys back, and on a consistent basis they'll be (for the most part) better than those who've held the fort in their absence... but I don't think this team will be significantly better with them. Better? YES, ABSOLUTELY. But not significantly.

GAGLine 01-31-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wraparounds (Post 30563270)
Yes, I already understand all that. The point being is that we will make some form of deadline acquisition. So can we retroactively place players on LTIR to gain additional cap space.

I think they can be put on LTIR retroactively, but I don't know that we'd gain any cap space from that. And again, Frolov is probably the only one we could do that with. I assume that once a player has returned, he can't be placed on retroactive LTIR for the time he missed. :D

Wraparounds 01-31-2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAGLine (Post 30563414)
I think they can be put on LTIR retroactively, but I don't know that we'd gain any cap space from that. And again, Frolov is probably the only one we could do that with. I assume that once a player has returned, he can't be placed on retroactive LTIR for the time he missed. :D

When I say "gain cap space" I mean "able to exceed upper cap limit."

Vitto79 01-31-2011 11:12 AM

I don't there is much worry about cap space at the deadline. It's not like they can't also package some cash, lets say Gilroy at 1.7 or EC at 900K.

I imagine they go big with a McCabe who makes 5.5ish as a rental just becausewell this is Sather.

Prospals bonus should not make a huge difference and if healthy he will help the team and be just like a trade. This team does'nt need a F right now once the healthy bodies are in