HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   OT: OT Thread #8 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=871229)

FromTheSide 01-31-2011 01:52 PM

OT Thread #8
 
Thread 7 is five posts away from 1,000....git'er dnoe.

Emptyvoid 01-31-2011 02:13 PM

So will central NJ (piscataway specfically) get hit?

SingnBluesOnBroadway 01-31-2011 02:16 PM

If these threads become a place for personal feuds to play out, they will be discontinued. If this builds a sense of community, great. But the board rules are still in effect.

StaalWars 01-31-2011 02:17 PM

I'm assuming that it's not a good idea to try to drive my car into the city tomorrow night for the game?

NYRFAN218 01-31-2011 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 30567166)
If these threads become a place for personal feuds to play out, they will be discontinued. If this builds a sense of community, great. But the board rules are still in effect.

It does build a sense of community. Problem is that some posters want just weather updates and don't wanna go through pages of threads when a conversation other then weather brakes out and if that doesn't happen, then posts taking shots at the people not talking about weather happen and vice versa.

I'm not a mod or anything but my advice would be just to make a separate weather thread or give out infractions any time someone takes a shot at one another.

NYGRYK21 01-31-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 (Post 30567249)
It does build a sense of community. Problem is that some posters want just weather updates and don't wanna go through pages of threads when a conversation other then weather brakes out and if that doesn't happen, then posts taking shots at the people not talking about weather happen and vice versa.

I'm not a mod or anything but my advice would be just to make a separate weather thread or give out infractions any time someone takes a shot at one another.

Agreed.

UAGoalieGuy 01-31-2011 02:27 PM

I still don't understand why we can't have a seperate weather thread until the winter is over or until this crazy weather pattern we are in breaks.

It affects just about all of us posting here and has been more reliable then the news or weather websites.

It gets to be difficult to sort through nonsense posts to find what we are looking for in regards to the weather.

We have other OT threads, like that for the Guardian Project, that should be in here, but has it's own thread. And the "Has it been that long since the Rangers won the cut", just to name a few.

Doesn't really make much sense.

NYRFAN218 01-31-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy (Post 30567364)
I still don't understand why we can't have a seperate weather thread until the winter is over or until this crazy weather pattern we are in breaks.

It affects just about all of us posting here and has been more reliable then the news or weather websites.

It gets to be difficult to sort through nonsense posts to find what we are looking for in regards to the weather.

We have other OT threads, like that for the Guardian Project, that should be in here, but has it's own thread. And the "Has it been that long since the Rangers won the cut", just to name a few.

Doesn't really make much sense.

This right here is the problem. If it's not about weather, it's nonsense to some people. I remember there was a conversation about English literature or something of that sort and it was called nonsense. I don't understand.

Fitzy 01-31-2011 02:33 PM

There are plenty of other places to get weather updates that aren't a hockey forum.

FromTheSide 01-31-2011 02:34 PM

Is THAT title fine? :shakehead

the last one was so plain and obvious.

NYGRYK21 01-31-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 (Post 30567414)
This right here is the problem. If it's not about weather, it's nonsense to some people. I remember there was a conversation about English literature or something of that sort and it was called nonsense. I don't understand.

That's the part that bugs me. If there are any non-weather posts in the OT Thread, it's called nonsense. There's no reason to trash all of the other posters because they're not as concerned about an impending storm. We can all get along right?

RGY 01-31-2011 02:37 PM

I don't see the harm in having a weather thread on the board unless of course it gets out of hand. hpNYR usually has good insight on this stuff. Some here may work in a related field and give firsthand information to the fans on this board. I know theres other sites but its nice to find a quick weather update here if someone knows something that may not be posted on say weather.com.

hockeygoon15 01-31-2011 02:41 PM

Mt. Holly out with Winter Storm Warnings:

Quote:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
318 PM EST MON JAN 31 2011

...WINTRY PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED FROM TONIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY...

LOW PRESSURE WILL MOVE FROM THE LOWER MISSISSIPPI RIVER VALLEY ON
TUESDAY TO THE UPPER OHIO RIVER VALLEY EARLY ON WEDNESDAY. THE
LOW IS THEN EXPECTED TO JUMP TO THE WATERS OFF NEW JERSEY ON
WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON BEFORE RACING TO THE NORTHEAST. THE WEATHER
SYSTEM WILL BRING A PROLONGED PERIOD OF WINTRY PRECIPITATION TO
PARTS OF OUR REGION FROM TONIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY.

NJZ009-010-012-015-PAZ060-067>069-011000-
/O.UPG.KPHI.WS.A.0004.110201T0800Z-110202T2200Z/
/O.NEW.KPHI.WS.W.0005.110201T0400Z-110202T2100Z/
HUNTERDON-SOMERSET-MIDDLESEX-MERCER-BERKS-CHESTER-MONTGOMERY-
BUCKS-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...FLEMINGTON...SOMERVILLE...
NEW BRUNSWICK...TRENTON...READING...WEST CHESTER...NORRISTOWN...
DOYLESTOWN
318 PM EST MON JAN 31 2011

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM THIS EVENING TO 4 PM
EST WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WARNING FOR A WINTRY MIX OF PRECIPITATION, ESPECIALLY ICE...
WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM THIS EVENING TO 4 PM EST WEDNESDAY.
THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* PRECIPITATION TYPES: SNOW TONIGHT WILL MIX WITH SOME SLEET AND
OR FREEZING RAIN ON TUESDAY DAY. A WINTRY MIX OF SLEET AND
FREEZING RAIN IS EXPECTED TUESDAY NIGHT AND THEN TRANSITION TO
ALL FREEZING RAIN WEDNESDAY MORNING AND POSSIBLY PLAIN RAIN
DURING THE DAY ON WEDNESDAY BEFORE ENDING.

* ACCUMULATIONS: CONFIDENCE IS LOW AS TO ACCUMULATION AS THEY ARE
PRECIPITATION TYPE DEPENDENT. BEST ESTIMATE IS FOR 2 TO 4 INCHES
OF SNOW AND SLEET. OF GREATER IMPORTANCE ONE THIRD TO TWO THIRDS
OF AN INCH OF ICE IS LIKELY TO ACCUMULATE ON TREES AND WIRES AS
WELL AS UNTREATED ROADWAYS.

* TIMING: THE PRECIPITATION SHOULD OVERSPREAD THE REGION CLOSE TO
MIDNIGHT TONIGHT. THERE WILL BE A LULL IN THE PRECIPITATION
INTENSITY DURING TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING BEFORE HEAVIER
PRECIPITATION MOVES BACK IN OVERNIGHT TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY
MORNING. PRECIPITATION SHOULD TAPER OFF WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON.

* IMPACTS: TRAVEL WILL BECOME DIFFICULT IN THE REGION FROM LATE
TONIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON DUE TO SNOW AND THEN ICE.
ICE WILL ACCUMULATE ON TREE LIMBS AND UTILITY WIRES FROM TUESDAY
NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY. WIDESPREAD POWER OUTAGES ARE POSSIBLE. THE
TUESDAY MORNING COMMUTE WILL BE IMPACTED BY SNOW. THE TUESDAY
EVENING COMMUTE SHOULD BE EASIER BECAUSE OF THE EXPECTED LULL IN
THE PRECIPITATION INTENSITY. THE WEDNESDAY MORNING COMMUTE WILL
BE EXTREMELY DIFFICULT DUE TO THE ICE. THIS EVENT SHOULD BE
OVER BY THE TIME OF THE WEDNESDAY EVENING COMMUTE.


PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW...
SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO
POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.

&&
http://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/png/phi.png

hockeygoon15 01-31-2011 02:46 PM

Albany and Mt Holly came out with updates around 3:00, but nothing yet out of Upton. Any reason for that? They made mention this morning how they all coordinated their initial issuing of the watch.

UAGoalieGuy 01-31-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY (Post 30567455)
There are plenty of other places to get weather updates that aren't a hockey forum.

There are also other places to get upates on the Knicks, Giants/Jets, and Yankees/Mets, but we have seperate threads for those to. Not to mention NHL video games, where there is a specific forum on here for that too.

EDIT: We are not asking for much, just until the winter is over. There are so many other threads that pop up on here that could go into other threads that are already open, but they are allowed to stay open.

And most of the stuff discussed in these OT threads are not nonsense. It was poor wording on my part. The discussion on video games, computers/technology and the such were great. It's when people are trying to get their post counts up and making random posts and what not is when it gets annoying.

hockeygoon15 01-31-2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy (Post 30567725)
There are also other places to get upates on the Knicks, Giants/Jets, and Yankees/Mets, but we have seperate threads for those to. Not to mention NHL video games, where there is a specific forum on here for that too.

They made their decision. I don't agree with it, you don't agree with it, but they're not changing their minds on this one. If we keep pestering them they'll whoop us with their mod whooping stick and we won't be able to post about weather at all! Shhh!!!!

WhipNash27 01-31-2011 02:49 PM

People like the weather updates because they tend to be more accurate than everywhere else. Of course our weather guys have the luxury of being more aggressive with their forecasts than the professionals since if they're wrong it's not as big of a deal. However, they haven't really been wrong in terms of calling a storm. Maybe a day or so off when looking at long-term, but that's the most I've seen.

Some people just don't care about the other OT talk. Some people enjoy it. However, a lot of people like the weather forecasts that we're getting here and come to this thread exclusively for that. I originally didn't care if there was a separate weather thread, however, with how horrid this winter has gone, I think it'd be worthwhile at least for the next month.

JeffMangum 01-31-2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henrik4vezina30 (Post 30567864)
I personally don't care if there's a weather thread, but the mods have made their decision and they're not changing it, so stop complaining and asking for one.

Yeah, we don't want to lose the OT thread altogether. It's made the board 10x more fun.

NYGRYK21 01-31-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Boyle (Post 30567882)
Yeah, we don't want to lose the OT thread altogether. It's made the board 10x more fun.

Exactly.:nod:

MortUWary 01-31-2011 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Boyle (Post 30567882)
Yeah, we don't want to lose the OT thread altogether. It's made the board 10x more fun.

Yeah, but without the weather talk, we'd only be on OT Thread #2 right now :sarcasm:

NYGBleedBlueNYR 01-31-2011 03:05 PM

Well we are supposed to get 14-22inches of snow by Wed here in WI.


Nonsense, IMO

trueblue35 01-31-2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY (Post 30567455)
There are plenty of other places to get weather updates that aren't a hockey forum.

Although there are other sources that give weather updates, none are even close to the accuracy of our guys. Hence the reason why everyone is always asking them for updates.

What I can't understand is why it was fine to have a weather thread last years but this year we can't.

JeffMangum 01-31-2011 03:12 PM

Join the HFNYR Weather Heads to discuss weather exclusively.

PROBLEM SOLVED. BOOM.

hpNYR 01-31-2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY (Post 30567455)
There are plenty of other places to get weather updates that aren't a hockey forum.

Clearly ignorance shouldn't be the route to take. If one thinks what me and Scott do is the same as what other weather websites do then they have another thing coming. We give minute to minute play by plays. We help people understand the dynamics surrounding guidance etc. Put the ego's to the side and let things run smoothly unless you want a revolution Egypt style. :laugh:
:):handclap:

Fitzy 01-31-2011 03:35 PM

Ultimately, its not up to me. I lobbied for this thread in the first place before becoming a mod so I could do very well without the flak.

When we get 10 reported posts a day from one thread, and 0 from any others, we have a problem. Perhaps the people that believe their services are so invaluable that they deserve their own thread are the ones with an ego issue.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.