HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: 2011 Top-5 pick (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=871327)

dkollidas 01-31-2011 07:18 PM

2011 Top-5 pick

What would it take to move up to that spot.

For example from a team picking 8-12 overall to move up...

Maybe this...

2011 1st
2012 1st
2012 2nd

Enough? Too much?

This is basically what Boston paid for Kessel I believe, correct me if I'm mistaken

Brodeur 01-31-2011 07:39 PM

It's tough to gauge, you rarely see a team picking in the top 5 trade down more than a handful of spots. With most drafts, there's a top tier and teams usually don't want to fall out that spot. This draft seems to have a consensus top tier of 4 between Couturier/Larsson/RNH/Landeskog.

The closest recent example was 2004 when Columbus traded the 4th overall pick to Carolina for the 8th overall pick and a late 2nd rounder. It was a weaker draft year and most thought there was a drop in talent after Ovechkin, Malkin, and (contain the laughter) Cam Barker.

In 2008, it cost Toronto a high 3rd and a future 2nd to move up from #7 to #5 to take Luke Schenn. The Islanders moved from #7 to #9 and #40. So by the end, the Islanders traded #5 for #9, #40, #68, and a future 2nd.

Realistically, you'd have to plug in the two teams that would be involved with the transaction. It's tough to have a blanket statement that a #4 overall pick is worth a certain amount, since each team would value it different based on who's available.

For me, it'd really depend on how I felt about the 2012 Draft along with how I felt about the other team faring in 2011-12. If I projected them to yield a top-5 pick, I'd have to give it some thought. If I projected them to be a playoff contender, I'd probably politely decline.

chopkins 01-31-2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkollidas (Post 30572124)

Maybe this...

2011 1st
2012 1st
2012 2nd

Enough? Too much?

This is basically what Boston paid for Kessel I believe, correct me if I'm mistaken

Way too much, especially in this draft.

And using Kessel to gauge value isn't exactly accurate. :laugh:

CREW99AW 01-31-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkollidas (Post 30572124)

Maybe this...

2011 1st
2012 1st
2012 2nd

Enough? Too much?

Last draft Snow sitting with the 5th overall pick,was willing to move his pick if he'd gotten a young,potential stud for the pick.

I'm guessing that unless he falls in love with one particular 2011 prospect,he'll again be open to moving his pick for a 20-22 yr old with high upside.

2010 draft
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=28980
The Islanders will also field offers to trade their pick, but it is believed that Snow would be unwilling to part with it unless he received a comparable young NHL player or prospect. If Snow was offered a player similar to the player he plans on drafting with 2-4 years of additional experience, he'd consider making the swap to expedite the team's development..

almostawake 01-31-2011 07:48 PM

It depends who's still on the board. If one of the top 4 (RNH, Couturier, Larsson, Landeskog) are still there at #4 or #5 and the team holding the pick really likes him, then #8, a future 1st and a future 2nd won't get it done.

If the team holding the pick doesn't like the player that's left over then they'll listen to offers and I think that a future 1st and a future 2nd would be more than enough.

Crede777 01-31-2011 07:50 PM

Assuming Columbus is drafting at #8 but wants to draft #5... I'd say a fair offer would be Filatov + #8 for #5.

As someone said before me, you have to figure in what two teams are going to be doing the trading.