HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Speculation: Top 12 UFA trade baits at the 2011 NHL trade deadline (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=871460)

Habsterix* 02-01-2011 08:14 AM

Top 12 UFA trade baits at the 2011 NHL trade deadline

The 2011 NHL trade deadline of February 28th is rapidly approaching. As teams slide further and further away from a playoffs’ spot, and as the competition gets tighter and the pressure gets stronger to either qualify for a playoffs’ spot or to improve in the standings, so will the need to trade.

Here are those who should form the Top 12 pending UFA’s likely to be traded by the deadline, sorted by cap hit remaining as of February 28th.

1- J-S Giguere (TOR): $ 1,322,581
Giguere still is a very capable goaltender and he has won the Stanley Cup with Anaheim. His salary is a huge hurdle however, and the Leafs will have to accept taking some salary back in order to make it happen.

2- Bryan McCabe (FLO): $ 1,267,473
McCabe is an interesting case. He seems to have found his niche in Florida and I’ll admit not having any idea if the Panthers want him back or not. With his offensive abilities and his experience, he is however a prime candidate for a cup contender needing help at the blue line and/or on the PP.

For the rest: Top 12 trade baits at the 2011 NHL trade deadline.

What's your Top 12 UFA's?

danyhabsfan 02-01-2011 08:17 AM

Vokoun>>>Gigučre

Kaberle>>>McCabe

Crede777 02-01-2011 08:21 AM

Jan Hejda, while not a premiere defensemen, is a pending UFA with a small cap hit. He logs 20 minutes a night and is a most effective shutdown defensemen. He is very capable of carrying a pairing when paired with a less experienced player. If Columbus doesn't want to re-sign him, asking price would be a hopeful second but more likely a third or less.

Habsterix* 02-01-2011 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danyhabsfan (Post 30578542)
Vokoun>>>Gigučre

Kaberle>>>McCabe

They're sorted by cap hit, from the highest to the lowest, on that list. ;)

Habsterix* 02-01-2011 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crede777 (Post 30578579)
Jan Hejda, while not a premiere defensemen, is a pending UFA with a small cap hit. He logs 20 minutes a night and is a most effective shutdown defensemen. He is very capable of carrying a pairing when paired with a less experienced player. If Columbus doesn't want to re-sign him, asking price would be a hopeful second but more likely a third or less.

I thought about him and you're right, but we'll have to wait to see if Columbus falls out of the race in the west. It's so feakin' tight in that conference, only Edmonton is out of it right now.

BruinsBtn 02-01-2011 08:38 AM

I don't see a market for Giguere. He was good a few years ago but no team is going to want him as their starter in the playoffs, and no team wants a $6m backup.

tarheelhockey 02-01-2011 08:49 AM

Odd not to see Joni Pitkanen on this list.

Duddy 02-01-2011 09:19 AM

Rivet is a top 12 UFA trade bait? when? 2006?

And he's in no doghouse he's just done like dinner.

:laugh:

HockeyRulez 02-01-2011 09:29 AM

Look for Weiss, Higgins, possibly Reasoner to also maybe get moved by the panthers

Zip15 02-01-2011 09:34 AM

How is Rivet above Montador? Wait, Montador isn't even on the list?

Robert Theodorson 02-01-2011 09:42 AM

Iginla, Kipper, Regehr

danyhabsfan 02-01-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheelhockey (Post 30578939)

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyRulez (Post 30579431)
Look for Weiss, Higgins, possibly Reasoner to also maybe get moved by the panthers

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom (Post 30579592)
Iginla, Kipper, Regehr

UFA trade bait.

Pitkanen wont be move cause his team is making a playoff push.

Weiss and all Calgary players arent UFA too.

Canadian Game 02-01-2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruinsButton (Post 30578814)
I don't see a market for Giguere. He was good a few years ago but no team is going to want him as their starter in the playoffs, and no team wants a $6m backup.

With Detroit losing out on Nabokov, I think there's a chance they might look into Giggy.

Coolburn 02-01-2011 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyRulez (Post 30579431)

I highly doubt Weiss gets moved but he doesnt relate to the topic of the thread anyway....top UFAs trade baits which he's not a UFA at yr end. Both Reasoner and Higgins may get moved...as well as possibly Dvorak.

TML g u n n e R s* 02-01-2011 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheelhockey (Post 30578939)

carolina is making a push for the playoffs why trade him

GentlemanOfLeisure 02-01-2011 10:32 AM

Andy Greene should be ahead of a few of those jabronies on that list.

tarheelhockey 02-01-2011 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TML nation13 (Post 30580215)
carolina is making a push for the playoffs why trade him

That's part of the reason it's odd. Suddenly the trade talks have ceased, meaning things are about to get real down here.

intangible 02-01-2011 10:40 AM

Any article like that that doesn't mention Brewer is just terribly written. Brewer has finally had a great season for the Blues. Just took too damn long. He has a NTC, but I bet he'd waive it to go to a contender.

Canadian Game 02-01-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zip15 (Post 30579488)
How is Rivet above Montador? Wait, Montador isn't even on the list?

When I was young, I was taught to read.

As per the last line in the article before the players are listed: "Here are those who, in my opinion, will form the Top 12 pending UFA’s likely to be traded by the deadline, sorted by cap hit remaining as of February 28th."

Habsterix* 02-01-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danyhabsfan (Post 30579624)
UFA trade bait.

Pitkanen wont be move cause his team is making a playoff push.

Weiss and all Calgary players arent UFA too.

There you have it.

I know that there are many others non-UFA players who are supposedly on the market but I didn't want to get into that as there are enough threads on them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GentlemanOfLeisure (Post 30580276)
Andy Greene should be ahead of a few of those jabronies on that list.

You're probably right about Greene, although I'm thinking that they'll try re-signing him before July 1st.

And there are likely others who should be on this list as well. It's all speculations and opinions for sure, no pure science here. :D

RogerRoeper* 02-01-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruinsButton (Post 30578814)

By the trade deadline he's not a 6 million player. Not even close.

Habsterix* 02-01-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intangible (Post 30580424)
Any article like that that doesn't mention Brewer is just terribly written. Brewer has finally had a great season for the Blues. Just took too damn long. He has a NTC, but I bet he'd waive it to go to a contender.

You say that the "omission" of Brewer makes it "terribly written", I say that it was thought out and done on purpose. ;) Why do you say? Because at this point, the Blues are in the thick of things for a playoffs' spot and since Brewer has been in St. Louis for so long and playing well, I just didn't see them getting rid of him at this point.

That was also my thinking with Pitkanen and a few other pending UFA's. Just take Montreal as an example. They'll keep Hamrlik although he's a UFA this summer because they need him. That's just as good as a rental and it doesn't cost the team any assets to acquire.

Vitto79 02-01-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerRoeper (Post 30580452)
By the trade deadline he's not a 6 million player. Not even close.

I could see Philly doing a Boucher and a mid round pick for Giguerre.

Try Giggy given his playoff experience. If he stinks they have Bob and Leighton in the minors if he goes unclaimed on re-entry

Duddy 02-01-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian Game (Post 30580437)
When I was young, I was taught to read.

As per the last line in the article before the players are listed: "Here are those who, in my opinion, will form the Top 12 pending UFA’s likely to be traded by the deadline, sorted by cap hit remaining as of February 28th."

Rivet 3.5 mil
Montador 1.55 mil

tarheelhockey 02-01-2011 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intangible (Post 30580424)

You think the article is terribly written because it didn't include a guy with an NTC.

:handclap: to you.