HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Jason Pominville to Pittsburgh (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=871587)

Puckgenius* 02-01-2011 01:54 PM

Jason Pominville to Pittsburgh

what would it take? IMO Buffalo needs dmen.

TO BUF: ALEX GOGLIOSKI + 2011 3RD + Rupp or talbot (to fit Jasons cap)
TO PIT: JASON POMINVILLE

Pens get a legit winger for Crosby who would be a good fit with his solid 2 way game and skillset.

Buff lose one of their best 2 way players and arguably their top PKing forward but get a PMD with huge upside who would be a top 4 dman in Buffalo for a long time and would be solid with Myers on the top pairing.

thefifagod 02-01-2011 02:01 PM

As good as Gogo could be, I don't do this from Buffalo's POV. Our defense has been good enough and we have tons of prospects that it wouldn't be worth giving up a consistent, solid RW. Unless the Sabres are getting a top 6 center, I can't see us moving Pominville.

Chainshot 02-01-2011 02:02 PM

You mean Alex Goligoski right? What Myers needs is a solid, mobile defense-first partner -- he makes rushes on his own and is at his best when pushing the puck himself, not covering for another puck mover.

As for the value in the deal, it's probably in the ballpark. I don't see why Buffalo does it other than the ability to more Pominville's salary off the books for some cap flexibility this summer and with the dearth of UFA's who fill that need... it seems a bit thin as an idea. The Sabres already have Leopold on the second pairing as their puck-mover... so while the value may be close, the need isn't.

JeffMangum 02-01-2011 02:02 PM

I don't see why, or how, Pittsburgh would do that.

Captain Hook 02-01-2011 02:05 PM

I'd pass. I like Gogo's contract a lot more than Pominville's.

Cspeirs4 02-01-2011 02:10 PM

Pens cap room restricts this deal. Don't see this one happening.

Zip15 02-01-2011 02:17 PM

As Chain said, Buffalo doesn't do this. Pommer is good for 60-65 pts, plays all three phases, and is a top-tier PKer. Is he overpaid by about $1m per? Sure. But Gogo isn't enough of an upgrade on the blueline to warrant losing Pominville.

If a PPQB is what Buffalo is after, there will be plenty of them on the market this summer who can be had without giving up Pominville.

Ron Barr 02-01-2011 02:38 PM

With Sekera, Myers and Leopold, Buffalo doesn't need more offensive defensemen. So I'd say no.

Ugene Malkin 02-01-2011 03:01 PM

Pens don't have their 2011 3rd.

SkullSplitter 02-01-2011 03:11 PM

I like it from a Pens standpoint, but Buffalo hates it.

laufer72 02-01-2011 03:12 PM

Pominville has NTC. Also, his $5.3 mil. contract is not what Pens can afford.

Isles_Guy* 02-01-2011 03:14 PM

cap says hello

with Staal needing to be resigned it cant happen

wej20 02-01-2011 03:18 PM

Pens Pass, we couldn't fit Pominville into our cap structure even though he'd be a nice addition.

Rakunitz23 02-01-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isles_Guy (Post 30585853)
cap says hello

Sorry, it's hard to take you serious when you don't know anything about either team's salary cap, or when a player needs to be re-signed.

Timbo Slice 02-01-2011 03:19 PM

We need another top 6 forward coming back, not Goligoski.

SkullSplitter 02-01-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isles_Guy (Post 30585853)
cap says hello

Pens have two more years of Staal on his current deal.

IF the cap goes up by three million this summer, keeping Pominville wouldn't be a problem.

The problem would be fitting him under the cap right now.

Trading Goligoski, the Pens would only have 2.7 million of Pominville's 5.3 million covered, and would need to shed another 2.6 million. Cooke + Talbot would be the only way to make that happen, unless the Pens were to give up 3 forwards, with which Godard + Rupp + Talbot would work. But then the Pens would be at a 20 man roster and right up against the cap.

I'm just showing how the numbers could work, I'll let others debate the merits of it.

I will say this: Pominville is such a good player, I'd consider it. It's much more doable in the off season.

Crosberry87 02-01-2011 04:10 PM

I like the value but Pominville at 5.3 is too much.

bpc2083 02-01-2011 04:12 PM

I love Talbot. If it was up to me you could have Pominville for Talbot straight up. Pominville's a wimp in the highest form and his shot blows.

wej20 02-01-2011 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpc2083 (Post 30587106)
I love Talbot. If it was up to me you could have Pominville for Talbot straight up. Pominville's a wimp in the highest form and his shot blows.

then you'll absolutely love Talbot's shot :sarcasm:.

Isles_Guy* 02-01-2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakunitz23 (Post 30585944)
Sorry, it's hard to take you serious when you don't know anything about either team's salary cap, or when a player needs to be re-signed.

its hard to take you seriously when you dont know that Pominville's contract is longer Than Staal's, and when Staal needs to be resigned Pominville's 5.3M cap hit will be a big issue.....

cap management is never just a one year issue silly boy. excuse me for thinking my fellow posters were smart enough to know that

Isles_Guy* 02-01-2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spectraljulian (Post 30586911)
Pens have two more years of Staal on his current deal.

IF the cap goes up by three million this summer, keeping Pominville wouldn't be a problem.

The problem would be fitting him under the cap right now.

Trading Goligoski, the Pens would only have 2.7 million of Pominville's 5.3 million covered, and would need to shed another 2.6 million. Cooke + Talbot would be the only way to make that happen, unless the Pens were to give up 3 forwards, with which Godard + Rupp + Talbot would work. But then the Pens would be at a 20 man roster and right up against the cap.

I'm just showing how the numbers could work, I'll let others debate the merits of it.

I will say this: Pominville is such a good player, I'd consider it. It's much more doable in the off season.

really wouldnt make sense though roughly 27M on 4 forwards

unless you think the cap is going up quite a bit, it ties your hands too much

struckbyaparkedcar 02-01-2011 04:50 PM

Pittsburgh doesn't have the assets or cap space to do it.

SkullSplitter 02-01-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isles_Guy (Post 30587581)
really wouldnt make sense though roughly 27M on 4 forwards

unless you think the cap is going up quite a bit, it ties your hands too much

Projections are showing the cap could rise 2-3 million next year.

If the Pens promote Tangradi (845k) and Jeffrey (RFA, probably about 560k from his current 510) they would only need 3 bottom 6 players, a 13th forward, and a top 6 forward.

Their cap space would be 7.395* + however much the cap goes up. IF the cap goes up 2-3 million like it's supposed to, it wouldn't be hard to fit him in at all.

*this has Goligoski removed from the payroll since he's being mentioned in the trade, but not Cooke. If you remove Cooke for cap purposes then add 1.6 to next year's cap and add one more bottom six forward to the needs list.

It's far easier to fit Pominville's salary in with next year than this year at the deadline though, and it would be worth the money spent too. (I'm not sure if it would be worth hurting the depth of the team this year at the deadline though)

UnderratedBrooks44 02-01-2011 05:14 PM

If we do shell out $4 million for a winger I doubt it's Pominville.

SkullSplitter 02-01-2011 05:21 PM

Well he wouldn't be my first choice, but 3 60 pt + seasons and 1 80 pt season. . . good playmaker, good two-way play.