HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   News Article: Staal will not be suspended apparently? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=872003)

NYR27 02-02-2011 02:42 PM

Staal will not be suspended apparently?

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=6083473

yeah - this makes sense...Uncle Gary at his best again

ZacUSNYR 02-02-2011 02:46 PM

That'd hurt the pens' too much. We got a 5 minute and a goal out of it. Staal missed the rest of the game. Good enough.

wolfgaze 02-02-2011 02:47 PM

I was happy with the in-game penalty... If Prust had to leave the game or subsequently had a concussion, that might be a different story.. But he was fine.... Really wasn't a vicious punch, just connected in just the right spot, and buckled his knees & dropped him....

Loffen 02-02-2011 02:48 PM

It was more of a love tap than anything and Prust embellished it pretty badly. I bet he got a harder shot from Engelland during the fight, and he still remained on his skates then.

Getting a 5 minute PP out of that surprised me tbh. Move on.

Avery316 02-02-2011 02:48 PM

I thought it was handled perfect during the game but you can bet if Prust had taken himself out of the game like some other little *****es there'd be one......sometimes this league drives me nuts

offdacrossbar 02-02-2011 02:51 PM

sean avery does the exact same thing, he gets no less than 3 games.

period.

this league is a farce

StayThirstyMyFreinds* 02-02-2011 02:51 PM

it was not a bad punch at all. A Match penalty was enough imo.

Inferno 02-02-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loffen (Post 30613456)
It was more of a love tap than anything and Prust embellished it pretty badly. I bet he got a harder shot from Engelland during the fight, and he still remained on his skates then.

Getting a 5 minute PP out of that surprised me tbh. Move on.

i have NEVER seen Brandon Prust embellish. I think he just got clocked, period.

King of cool 02-02-2011 03:18 PM

Match penalty, 5 minutes PP, we scored a goal, Prust is ok, let's move on...

Jumbo* 02-02-2011 03:22 PM

Did anyone really think that was worthy of a suspension? A 5 and a game misconduct was enough.

BlueshirtBlitz 02-02-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by offdacrossbar (Post 30613502)

period.

this league is a farce

Seriously. I don't give a **** if Prust embellished or if Jordan Staal isn't a repeat offender(guess what neither is avery)

but if Avery did that to any Penguin he'd be fined and suspended. What a ****ing joke.

TreeSapLlama 02-02-2011 03:30 PM

Wait, do people seriously think that would be suspendable? Take off the homer glasses, yeesh. A major is enough (and maybe too much, but whatever)

Stugots 02-02-2011 03:31 PM

I think I read something (somebody's post on HF perhaps) saying that getting a game misconduct = 1 game suspension automatically. Is that true?

Bluenote13 02-02-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by offdacrossbar (Post 30613502)

period.

this league is a farce

Yeah you're right, a guy with a squeaky clean past like Sean will never get justice;)

Avery WOULD get treated different for good reason, and its not cause he has such smooth skin and nice clothes:p:

Jordan Staal made a bad mistake, but it was not worth more than what he got.

BlueshirtBlitz 02-02-2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13 (Post 30614315)
Yeah you're right, a guy with a squeaky clean past like Sean will never get justice;)

Avery WOULD get treated different for good reason, and its not cause he has such smooth skin and nice clothes:p:

Jordan Staal made a bad mistake, but it was not worth more than what he got.

What has Avery ever done on the ice that's suspendable? Waving his hand in Fatso's face? Oh, woe is me!

Please, enlighten me. Tell me when he's throwing elbows and ending careers like Cooke.

SwedishBullet62 02-02-2011 03:37 PM

This is a load of *********, first off a match penalty carries (or is supposed to) an automatic 1 game suspension. I guess Gary or whoever forgot about that one, but it's the pens I expected that. And I don't see how Eager gets 4 games under the same rule for doing essentially the same thing. This just goes to show how ****ed up this wholeleague and how it's policed is. And from the outside looking in it makes the whole NHL look bad. The patriots and steelers don't play under a different rule book than the raiders or dolphins, the Yankees, red sox and giants don't play under a different rule book than the mets and marlins, its ********. I hope Gary feels good he's helping the pens.

owedoyle 02-02-2011 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stugots (Post 30614284)
I think I read something (somebody's post on HF perhaps) saying that getting a game misconduct = 1 game suspension automatically. Is that true?

That was my understanding too, but I believe the "match" term may be rescinded upon review, which is what I believe is probably happening here, just being replaced with a "game misconduct."

Also, based on Prust's rep, as well as his words to the media, I've got to believe the punch connected, glove or no glove. In all our time watching him, we've never seen him embellish or dive, and of all the players we have, no one respects "the code" as much as him. Diving, embellishing, etc all go against the code.

clmetsfan 02-02-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno272 (Post 30613789)
i have NEVER seen Brandon Prust embellish. I think he just got clocked, period.

After last night you have.

JeffMangum 02-02-2011 03:44 PM

Shouldn't really have even been 5. Should've been a double minor(2 for roughing/2 for unsportsmanlike). Didn't seem malicious at all, Prust definitely embellished it. And Prust got him with an elbow before the punch. Eye for an eye.

JeffMangum 02-02-2011 03:48 PM

@PeterBotte: Tortorella, on J.Staal suckering Prust: "I'm not even sure that's a match penalty." Was more annoyed at Orpik non-call to Avery's head. #NYR

BlueshirtBlitz 02-02-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Boyle (Post 30614545)
Shouldn't really have even been 5. Should've been a double minor(2 for roughing/2 for unsportsmanlike). Didn't seem malicious at all, Prust definitely embellished it. And Prust got him with an elbow before the punch. Eye for an eye.

First of all, I have yet to see this magical elbow you're all talking about. All Prust did was throw his hands up to keep Staal out of his face, it's a reflex reaction. He didn't go Cooke on his face. Secondly, not malicious? Sure, he punched him in the head because Prust checked a guy.

SwedishBullet62 02-02-2011 03:50 PM

A Match Penalty

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26304

21.1 Match Penalty - A match penalty involves the suspension of a player for the balance of the game and the offender shall be ordered to the dressing room immediately.
A match penalty shall be imposed on any player who deliberately attempts to injure or who deliberately injures an opponent in any manner.

Read further

In addition to the match penalty, the player shall be automatically suspended from further competition until the Commissioner has ruled on the issue. See also Rule 29 Supplementary Discipline.

Under rule 28.1 "If an investigation is requested by a Club or by the League on its own initiative, it must be initiated within twenty-four (24) hours following the completion of the game in which the incident occurred."

Now what that means, If a player takes a match penalty he is suspended for the remainder of the game and a 5 minute penalty is served. Furthermore an investigation by the league is initiated and must be completed within 24 hours of the incident all the while the player is indeffinitally suspended from play while a decision by the league is made.

In theory staal should be indefinitely suspended for a least one game until a decision is made from the league within the given time frame.

JeffMangum 02-02-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz (Post 30614657)
First of all, I have yet to see this magical elbow you're all talking about. All Prust did was throw his hands up to keep Staal out of his face, it's a reflex reaction. He didn't go Cooke on his face. Secondly, not malicious? Sure, he punched him in the head because Prust checked a guy.

He punched him in the head because he elbowed him. If I could, I'd take a pic of the video of when he elbowed him, but my I have no idea how to use the browser camera on Opera(hehe).

If it was the other way around, like Avery punching Staal, none of us would say that was suspension worthy.

BlueshirtBlitz 02-02-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Boyle (Post 30614682)
He punched him in the head because he elbowed him. If I could, I'd take a pic of the video of when he elbowed him, but my I have no idea how to use the browser camera on Opera(hehe).

If it was the other way around, like Avery punching Staal, none of us would say that was suspension worthy.

No, he punched him in the head right after they collided. It might be my homer glasses but i'm almost 100% sure there was no elbow to hurt Staal from Prust, just the initial tangling and then the punch.

JeffMangum 02-02-2011 03:54 PM

Watch the video, pause at :16:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgyF7...eature=related