HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Flyers Book (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=872442)

LI Fly Guy 02-03-2011 07:17 PM

Flyers Book

Going away on vacation just wondering if anyone can recommend any good Flyer books?

I heard that Gene Hart wrote one and was a must read.......... Not sure if it was him who wrote it though, anyway any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

MiamiScreamingEagles 02-03-2011 07:22 PM

From a prior inquiry, I listed these books...Gormley's book (#4) is pretty good and recent.

PUBLICATIONS:
Since we get many suggestions regarding Flyers' publications, a list of known publications is compiled below. The first three listed are especially recommended.
  1. "Full Spectrum: The Complete History of the Philadelphia Flyers Hockey Club" by Jay Greenberg.
  2. "Score!: My Twenty-Five Years with the Broad Street Bullies" by Gene Hart.
  3. "Bobby Clarke and the Ferocious Flyers" by Stan Fischler.
  4. "Orange, Black and Blue" by Chuck Gormley.
  5. "Walking Together Forever: The Broad Street Bullies, Then and Now" by Jim Jackson.
  6. "Pelle Lindbergh: Behind the White Mask" by Bill Meltzer & Thomas Tynander.
  7. "The Broad Street Bullies: The Incredible Story of the Philadelphia Flyers" by Jack Chevalier (though this is rare and expensive).
  8. "Philadelphia Flyers Encyclopedia" by David Sherman.
  9. "The Greatest Players and Moments of the Philadelphia Flyers" by Stan Fischler.
  10. "The Good, the Bad & the Ugly Philadelphia Flyers: Heart-pounding, Jaw-dropping, and Gut-wrenching Moments from Philadelphia Flyers History" by Adam Kimelman.
  11. "100 Things Flyers Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die" by Adam Kimelman.
  12. "Jonesy: Put Your Head Down & Skate" by Keith Jones.
  13. "Journey Through Risk and Fear" by (Bernie) Parent, Paiva & Smith. Link -- http://bernieparent.net/blog/2011/01...risk-and-fear/
  14. "The Philadelphia Flyers: Supermen of the Ice" by Stan Fischler.
  15. "Open Net" by George Plimpton. A must for any hockey fan. The book is mostly about the author's tryout with the Bruins but it includes the notorious Flyers-Bruins' late 70s preseason game brawl at the Spectrum and that alone is worth the read.

DVDs:
  • Philadelphia Flyers 10 Greatest Games DVD Set
  • History of the Philadelphia Flyers

LI Fly Guy 02-03-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles (Post 30639637)
From a prior inquiry, I listed these books...Gormley's book (#4) is pretty good and recent.

PUBLICATIONS:
Since we get many suggestions regarding Flyers' publications, a list of known publications is compiled below. The first three listed are especially recommended.
  1. "Full Spectrum: The Complete History of the Philadelphia Flyers Hockey Club" by Jay Greenberg.
  2. "Score!: My Twenty-Five Years with the Broad Street Bullies" by Gene Hart.
  3. "Bobby Clarke and the Ferocious Flyers" by Stan Fischler.
  4. "Orange, Black and Blue" by Chuck Gormley.
  5. "Walking Together Forever: The Broad Street Bullies, Then and Now" by Jim Jackson.
  6. "Pelle Lindbergh: Behind the White Mask" by Bill Meltzer & Thomas Tynander.
  7. "The Broad Street Bullies: The Incredible Story of the Philadelphia Flyers" by Jack Chevalier (though this is rare and expensive).
  8. "Philadelphia Flyers Encyclopedia" by David Sherman.
  9. "The Greatest Players and Moments of the Philadelphia Flyers" by Stan Fischler.
  10. "The Good, the Bad & the Ugly Philadelphia Flyers: Heart-pounding, Jaw-dropping, and Gut-wrenching Moments from Philadelphia Flyers History" by Adam Kimelman.
  11. "100 Things Flyers Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die" by Adam Kimelman.
  12. "Jonesy: Put Your Head Down & Skate" by Keith Jones
  13. "Open Net" by George Plimpton. A must for any hockey fan. The book is mostly about the author's tryout with the Bruins but it includes the notorious Flyers-Bruins' late 70s preseason game brawl at the Spectrum and that alone is worth the read.

DVDs:
  • Philadelphia Flyers 10 Greatest Games DVD Set
  • History of the Philadelphia Flyers

MSE! Of course you would be right on it! Thanks alot buddy.

decadentia 02-03-2011 07:29 PM

Haha, I made this same inquiry not too long ago, and he was there to help almost immediately as well.

You're an amazing resource!

XS Chop 02-03-2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LI Fly Guy (Post 30639459)
Going away on vacation just wondering if anyone can recommend any good Flyer books?

I heard that Gene Hart wrote one and was a must read.......... Not sure if it was him who wrote it though, anyway any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

"Score", if you can find a copy, thats a must read. Think it's long out of print but I found a used copy for a friend pretty cheap on Amazon a couple of years ago.

Spongolium* 02-03-2011 07:38 PM

"The Good, the Bad & the Ugly Philadelphia Flyers: Heart-pounding, Jaw-dropping, and Gut-wrenching Moments from Philadelphia Flyers History" by Adam Kimelman.

I have this. It's very, very good. Totally recommend it

BrindamoursNose 02-03-2011 07:49 PM

I loved the "Orange, Black and Blue" by Gormley. Nice stories/info in there.

Only issue was that I found about 6 spelling/grammatical errors. That bugged me.

skoods 02-03-2011 08:30 PM

I know Gormley personally. He's a good guy and "Orange, Black, and Blue" is a great book. Tons of really cool stories from the team's inception until 2009. It's where I learned that Joni Pitkanen was a moron.

LI Fly Guy 02-03-2011 08:32 PM

Thanks, looks like I'm going with Score, and Gormley's book. #1 on MSE's list is pretty expensive but I'll pick it up another time.

DrinkFightFlyers 02-03-2011 09:41 PM

Used an Amazon gift card just the other night on 100 Things Flyers Fans Should Know and Do Before They Die.

MiamiScreamingEagles 02-03-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose (Post 30640819)

Only issue was that I found about 6 spelling/grammatical errors. That bugged me.

I remember the "knew/new" error.

One of the books spelled a player's name (Sittler?) incorrectly more than once, too.

Murphy7 02-04-2011 01:57 PM

Hmmm. Maybe I'll sell my copy of No. 7.
Nope.

Anyway, right next to my copy of "Open Net" is "The Game" by Ken Dryden. Not Flyers, but another exceptional hockey book.

JLHockeyKnight 02-04-2011 02:02 PM

I've heard good of "The Final Call" by Kerry Fraser. Not a Flyers book, but a ref who is an NJ resident.

StandingCow 02-04-2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spongolium (Post 30640363)
"The Good, the Bad & the Ugly Philadelphia Flyers: Heart-pounding, Jaw-dropping, and Gut-wrenching Moments from Philadelphia Flyers History" by Adam Kimelman.

I have this. It's very, very good. Totally recommend it

Same, really good book.

drcrusher 02-04-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose (Post 30640819)

Jonesy's book was an editing nightmare. Its content was hilarious and it was a good read, but the typos and the tense-switching and other mistakes that should be corrected with good editing were really distracting sometimes.

flyershistory 02-04-2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 30646307)
Used an Amazon gift card just the other night on 100 Things Flyers Fans Should Know and Do Before They Die.

Chapter 55 is bookmark Flyershistory :)

phlflyer1 02-04-2011 05:11 PM

I have the Chevalier book and highly recommend it if you want to read up on the Flyers cup years and can get your hands on a copy.

Another good one from the cup years is "The Philadelphia Flyers: Supermen of the Ice" by Stan Fischler

Bill_Meltzer 02-07-2011 06:50 AM

From a Flyers' history perspective, the must-have books are The Broad Street Bullies, Full Spectrum, Gene Hart's Score, The Good, Bad and the Ugly and Walking Together Forever.

Add Bernie Parent's ghosted autobiography "Bernie!" to the extensive list of Flyers-related books through the years. It's long since out-of-print.

Eventually, if I ever get time to write another book, I would like to do a Fred Shero biography.