HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Wingers, deadline, insanity Feb. 28th|part3 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=872466)

Ugene Malkin 02-03-2011 07:25 PM

Wingers, deadline, insanity Feb. 28th|part3

Previous thread---->http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=866511

AgentM 02-03-2011 08:19 PM

Aud Won hasn't posted in here yet. Did he go to the bathroom or something just now?

Coach John McGuirk 02-03-2011 08:30 PM

I will be astonished if we do anything significant before or at the deadline.

UnderratedBrooks44 02-03-2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentM (Post 30645110)
Aud Won hasn't posted in here yet. Did he go to the bathroom or something just now?

Actually I hope there isn't an emergency or something. Catheter takes care of that pesky bladder problem.

JTG 02-03-2011 08:42 PM

Has anyone here ever debated with CChiefs? I use debate in its loosest form.

UnderratedBrooks44 02-03-2011 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTG32005 (Post 30646340)
Has anyone here ever debated with CChiefs? I use debate in its loosest form.

Can't remember what it was but yeah I did on the main boards some time ago. Don't even know what it was about but yeah, he's crazy.

JTG 02-03-2011 08:45 PM

That past thread sort of had the same feeling to it.

66-29-33 02-03-2011 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk (Post 30645747)
I will be astonished if we do anything significant before or at the deadline.

Yeah this may indeed be the year we do nothing and i'm expecting it to happen.

Hottubber 02-03-2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentM (Post 30645110)

i actually laughed really hard out loud. too funny. but seriously....where is he?

pens83* 02-03-2011 09:52 PM

I am sorry but when a top line winger has 22 points in February you have a problem...shero better not sit w his thumb up his ass at the deadline. we will be so lucky if ****** puts up 35 pts. Don't any teams need some 3rd/4th line grinders?

Darth Vitale 02-03-2011 09:56 PM

I think it's about time to start the annual "Alex Burrows for Pens' 2nd and future considerations" arguments. Or was it Loui Eriksson? No... no, I think it was Pominville. Ah hell, I can't remember. The point is our 2nd rounder gets us a Cup Quality Winger ™ ... that's the basis of all good HFB trade threads. :thumbu:

(and by "good" I mean funny...)

Sidney the Kidney 02-03-2011 10:47 PM

I can't wait for the trade deadline to come and go so we no longer have to speculate who Shero will acquire ... until the summer time, when this fun begins all over again. :laugh:

UnderratedBrooks44 02-03-2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malkochalek (Post 30648526)
I think it's about time to start the annual "Alex Burrows for Pens' 2nd and future considerations" arguments. Or was it Loui Eriksson? No... no, I think it was Pominville. Ah hell, I can't remember. The point is our 2nd rounder gets us a Cup Quality Winger ... that's the basis of all good HFB trade threads. :thumbu:

(and by "good" I mean funny...)

Yep, and to hell with the salary cap. That doesn't apply either.

To be honest my favorites are the deals where everyone feels we shouldn't have to give up anything because of one or two flaws the guys has. "Hemsky for Kennedy and a 1st? I don't think so. He's a nice player but we'd be losing a lot of heart and grit."

mpp9 02-03-2011 10:54 PM

Is jeffrey capable of playing wing at the nhl level? I hear hes soff on the board play. I say we just give the ahlers spots in the lineup and just wait til summer.

LAPenguin 02-03-2011 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpp9 (Post 30649714)
Is jeffrey capable of playing wing at the nhl level? I hear hes soff on the board play. I say we just give the ahlers spots in the lineup and just wait til summer.

That's my hope. I'd love to see Jeffrey show some chemistry with Malkin and leave Staal w/Cooke and Kennedy.

UnderratedBrooks44 02-03-2011 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAPenguin (Post 30650452)
That's my hope. I'd love to see Jeffrey show some chemistry with Malkin and leave Staal w/Cooke and Kennedy.

Or put Jeffrey or Letestu in Staal's place and trade Staa-........nevermind. They were #1 in PK and GAA while he missed half a season but I forgot, he's irreplaceable because I just don't understand how valuable he is. Some day I'll get that.

Rakunitz23 02-04-2011 12:02 AM

The only trade we'll be making at the deadline is for an AHL replacement for Jeffrey

Slabber Chops 02-04-2011 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAPenguin (Post 30650452)

Agreed. If you apply a basic cost-benefit analysis, I don't see how trading a Jeffrey, Tangradi, or high draft choice is going to get enough of an improvement at wing within the salary cap restrictions over top of either of the aforementioned wingers.

71 02-04-2011 01:22 AM

:laugh: Did you guys scare Aud Won away? Dude was posting everywhere, and now is nowhere to be found.

SkullSplitter 02-04-2011 02:05 AM

The new thread was posted at 8:25, about 25 minutes after bedtime.

Muscles4Malkin 02-04-2011 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusShero8771 (Post 30651579)
:laugh: Did you guys scare Aud Won away? Dude was posting everywhere, and now is nowhere to be found.

Yeah, guy has over 1000 posts in a month. I have just one word: Wow!

ss53mech 02-04-2011 06:20 AM

Stayed away for a little bit and glad I did. Not sure what's going on with you Aud Won. Normally I can at least understand if not agree with the stuff you put up. But wow, you seem to have gotten stuck on a one track argument.

So let me see if I got the basics of the thread so far.

Most agree (not all) that the primary need is a winger and specifically for Geno. Most also agree we would prefer (but won't limit our options to) a Malone or Sykora type player. Pretty much looking for a guy who can create space with his body or can finish with the space Geno creates. Not that shero would look past a deal that doesn't include one of these types but only that these are the targeted type players.

On to the candidates.

Setoguchi (my guy)- not a probability due to SJ being in 5th last time I checked and he is finally starting to play a little better. If you ask me he checks all the right boxes. He can skate, backcheck, decent hands/finishing, young and improving, great cap hit. This would still be the guy I would go after if they are selling but in all likelyhood this one isn't gonna happen.

Bergfors(aud won)- also not a probability due to his teams standing but they are spiraling as of late so they might be sellers come the deadline. He also makes sense based on their need for some pk help and our need for some finishing help. However it's ALL going to be based around how much Atlanta values him. If he has the talent/ceiling that we are all hoping for then it makes no sense for an up and coming team like Atlanta to trade him, conversly if they feel he just doesn't have it and are willing to part with him then we have to hope that he proves them wrong.

Hemsky (many)- The folks supporting acquiring him bring valid points to the discussion but I will forever be hesitant to pick up anyone with as many question marks surrounding him. Too streaky, too fragile, too on again off again for his cap hit for me to see him as a good fit for this team. I understand those that don't agree with me and that's fine I won't try to convince you he wouldn't help. I know he would. I just wouldn't make this trade a priority because I don't know how much/ how often/ how consitently that help would appear.

Penner (me again)- If I was going to trade with EDM this is the guy I would be going after (or one of their you generational talent wingers if Steve Tambelini lost his mind). He is a great finisher, big body, skates darn well, and is responsible defensively. He hits all the wickets for a long term solution. Down side is he can be a little on again off again, and his is NOT a devoted backchecker 100% of the time, and he's got a pretty big contract. I could see EDM keeping him around but if they don't I could see him being the Malone replacement for Geno.

Booth (me again)- not a good chance but this one completely depends on Dale Tallon, if he is deemed part of the core to rebuild around, no chance the guy is moving. However if he doesn't fit Tallon's plans for the team this is an almost perfect fit on this team. Some have questioned his durability, I don't, he has good hands, feet, and eyes. uses them all pretty well. has shown to be more than decent in every zone and in every situation. Well rounded you might say. However like I said I don't think he's moving.

Frolik (not sure)- He has skill....but. I don't like his style to much. It always seems like he is on his own page when he is playing. He doesn't seem to use his linemates very well and doesn't seem to backcheck all that well. My biggest conern would be his ability to mesh with this team and it's players. Good points have been brought up about his contract and talent level but I don't think his "basic" hockey sense is very good and this team functions very much off of keeping it simple.

Brunette (many)- Not trying to hate here, but am I the only one who thinks it is time to move past the "has been and maybe could be again" theme we have going at the deadline. Don't get me wrong, Brunette is a "good" player but I just don't see the skill and speed it would take to "mesh" with our system or be much of an upgrade over who we already have. Also, the Wild absolutely love this guy. It would take a pretty gross overpayment from the Pens to get a deal done for him and he's not a guy I'd be willing to overpay for.

Brown (not sure)- This may be the least likely of all the proposals I have seen. If (and that is a big if) LA for some unknown reason decided that Brown was no longer in their plans I'd be prepared to move anything not considered core players to acquire him. Love his game, and he has a great cap hit. Young, hit's like a truck, can finish consistently, sees the ice well, plays well away from the puck. I mean, what's not to love. Back to reality, it's not happening.

Ryan (not sure)- see brown above, same story, little higher cap hit.

Perry- see above

Boyes (not sure)- not even going into detail on this one. No thank you on almost all accounts.

PA Parenteau (not sure)- Good arguments made by both sides, but I would take a pass. I just don't see him as an upgrade really. Yeah, I like his effort, but we have that for days on this team. Any move we make should be about addressing a need not reinforcing a strenght (unless it's just too good to pass up).

I'm sure I missed a few, but I just wanted to kind of summarize out loud what we pretty much determined so far. Anybody got anything else worth discussion?

ProdigalOne* 02-04-2011 06:22 AM

I think people need to realize that the difference between a 20 goal winger and a 30 goal winger post deadline and playoffs has an extremely tiny impact on our cup chances. So small Shero knows it wont make a difference. Crosby and defense will win the cup for us this year if we do, assuming Malkin continues to be closer to Yashin than Crosby. (and yes its on Malkin at this point, nobody else around him)

ss53mech 02-04-2011 06:28 AM

Thought of one as I was clicking post.

Backes (not discussed yet I think)- Loves to throw the body, great hands around the net, good speed, decent vision, just really solid all around. Nothing outstanding about the guy, but it seems like Disco would develop and instant man crush on him. The bad, because of the aforementioned things, his value is probably pretty high. St Louis has fallen out of contention (not completely but it's looking bleak) so they might be sellers come the deadline. I just don't think this is a piece they would be looking to move. His contract is pretty reasonable and I could see him putting up a ton of goals with a little legit help, and I know he could open space for his linemates.

Thoughts on this one?

ProdigalOne* 02-04-2011 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ss53mech (Post 30652784)
Thought of one as I was clicking post.

Backes (not discussed yet I think)- Loves to throw the body, great hands around the net, good speed, decent vision, just really solid all around. Nothing outstanding about the guy, but it seems like Disco would develop and instant man crush on him. The bad, because of the aforementioned things, his value is probably pretty high. St Louis has fallen out of contention (not completely but it's looking bleak) so they might be sellers come the deadline. I just don't think this is a piece they would be looking to move. His contract is pretty reasonable and I could see him putting up a ton of goals with a little legit help, and I know he could open space for his linemates.

Thoughts on this one?

These are mostly young guys that won't get traded for the scraps we are offering. The organization has made it clear they aren't moving Staal or Malkin, thus we wait for a prospect to develop. Period.