HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   From the draft (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=87331)

S_O_T_I 06-28-2004 09:56 AM

From the draft
 
I got back to NY late last night and I'd thought I'd let you guys in on some "behind the scenes" staff from the draft. First of all, the Rangers LOVE their picks. They had four guys targeted as "must haves" and got all four of them (Montoya, Korpikoski, Olver and Ryan). They had Montoya ranked #4 and Korpikoski at #9 (I heard as high as 7). They were not in love with Ladd, Stafford, Thelen, etc (but they did like them) and thought the only true "franchise player" after the top three was Montoya. If Montoya was gone at #6, they would have traded down to around 15 to take Korpikoski. They were trying to trade up higher than 19 to get him and felt lucky he was there at 19. Side note: the Isles wanted Wheeler and thought he'd be there for them. The Rangers also had him high and I thought they were going to take him at #24. I can tell you that on Thursday and Friday, there were a handful of players that everyone was talking about, Wheeler, Korpikoski, Montoya, Picard and Olver. Olver would have been gone in the mid 2nd round. I spoke to Walt Kyle on Friday and he said he thought there was an outside chance of the Caps taking him with the #3 pick in the 2nd round and that he has been heavily scouted and scouts were calling him a big time sleeper. I was a bit surprised when I heard the Rangers picked him becuase I never heard his name associated with them until after they picked him.

Yesterday I asked some of the other teams scouts about some of the Ranger picks. He was gushing over them, especially Korpikoski. He said that he was the most upside of the three Finns taken in the 1st. He thought they had an A plus day.

I'm heading into the office..I'll check back later. But one last note: I read this morning on these boards that a few of you guys thought the Rangers reached for some of their picks. Don't get caught in the hype from the rankings. Just look at how high Wheeler went and how low O'Neil and Shremp went. (and Bruce Graham to a lesser extent). The pre-rankings are good..but not gospel. One scout said the O’Neil could be least intelligent (hockey smarts, not books smarts) hockey player he’s ever seen play. “He couldn’t read the ice unless it was a pop up book” “This kid will never play an NHL shift”. Yet, some of the pre-ranking had him as mid 1st rounder?

NYR469 06-28-2004 09:59 AM

well its good to hear the rangers are happy with their picks...granted it could always by pr bs stated after the picks are made, but if they aren't genuinely happy with the picks 1 day later than we'd be in trouble

Potted Plant 06-28-2004 10:01 AM

Thanks a bunch.

One thought I had that maybe you or someone else can clarify. I get the impression we wanted Grant Lewis, and likely would have picked him at #48 had Atlanta not beaten us to him. Am I right on that?

Also, do you have any insight as to why Lisin dropped so far?

Were they interested in Mike Green at all? I like the cut of his jib, to use an old expression.

in the hall 06-28-2004 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S_O_T_I
I got back to NY late last night and I'd thought I'd let you guys in on some "behind the scenes" staff from the draft. First of all, the Rangers LOVE their picks. They had four guys targeted as "must haves" and got all four of them (Montoya, Korpikoski, Olver and Ryan). They had Montoya ranked #4 and Korpikoski at #9 (I heard as high as 7). They were not in love with Ladd, Stafford, Thelen, etc (but they did like them) and thought the only true "franchise player" after the top three was Montoya. If Montoya was gone at #6, they would have traded down to around 15 to take Korpikoski. They were trying to trade up higher than 19 to get him and felt lucky he was there at 19. Side note: the Isles wanted Wheeler and thought he'd be there for them. The Rangers also had him high and I thought they were going to take him at #24. I can tell you that on Thursday and Friday, there were a handful of players that everyone was talking about, Wheeler, Korpikoski, Montoya, Picard and Olver. Olver would have been gone in the mid 2nd round. I spoke to Walt Kyle on Friday and he said he thought there was an outside chance of the Caps taking him with the #3 pick in the 2nd round and that he has been heavily scouted and scouts were calling him a big time sleeper. I was a bit surprised when I heard the Rangers picked him becuase I never heard his name associated with them until after they picked him.

Yesterday I asked some of the other teams scouts about some of the Ranger picks. He was gushing over them, especially Korpikoski. He said that he was the most upside of the three Finns taken in the 1st. He thought they had an A plus day.

I'm heading into the office..I'll check back later. But one last note: I read this morning on these boards that a few of you guys thought the Rangers reached for some of their picks. Don't get caught in the hype from the rankings. Just look at how high Wheeler went and how low O'Neil and Shremp went. (and Bruce Graham to a lesser extent). The pre-rankings are good..but not gospel. One scout said the O’Neil could be least intelligent (hockey smarts, not books smarts) hockey player he’s ever seen play. “He couldn’t read the ice unless it was a pop up book” “This kid will never play an NHL shift”. Yet, some of the pre-ranking had him as mid 1st rounder?

I've been craving for this kind of info. I love behind the scenes stuff on draft day and reactions by scouts etc on certain picks. Thanks for the tremendous insights.

Can you tell us some of the rankings that you know of, obviously 1-2 is Ovechkin and Malkin, who was 3 and beyond

also can you give us some tidbits about the draft like other stuff that went on, involving all teams, possible trades, names that were talked about (poti? lundmark?).. how close where the Rangers in trading for #1 or 2...

thanks in advance

S_O_T_I 06-28-2004 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighlyRegardedRookie
Thanks a bunch.

One thought I had that maybe you or someone else can clarify. I get the impression we wanted Grant Lewis, and likely would have picked him at #48 had Atlanta not beaten us to him. Am I right on that?

Also, do you have any insight as to why Lisin dropped so far?

Were they interested in Mike Green at all? I like the cut of his jib, to use an old expression.

I don't know if they were interested in Lewis. I think people assumed they were becuase they saw him play a lot this year becuase of the Jessiman conection.

S_O_T_I 06-28-2004 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in the hall
I've been craving for this kind of info. I love behind the scenes stuff on draft day and reactions by scouts etc on certain picks. Thanks for the tremendous insights.

Can you tell us some of the rankings that you know of, obviously 1-2 is Ovechkin and Malkin, who was 3 and beyond

also can you give us some tidbits about the draft like other stuff that went on, involving all teams, possible trades, names that were talked about (poti? lundmark?).. how close where the Rangers in trading for #1 or 2...

thanks in advance

Sorry, I don't know their list.

I know that they were very serious about the #1 pick until the Caps made it clear they wern't dealing it. I was told the Pens were never serious about trading the #2 pick, but listened to offers anyway (hoping one might make them change their mind). There is a rumor that the Caps might actually want to deal Ovechkin if they have problems signing him..so stay tuned

Prucha73 06-28-2004 07:47 PM

Any thoughts about Dane Byers? What do Rangers see in him that they drafted him so high? Is he simply a very good energy/checker/grinder type of guy or is there more to him?

Any idea if Rangers plan to aquire Tukonen to re-unite him with Korpikoski? Immonen could center both of them.

Any talk of dealing one of our young goalies?

So it is not true that Rangers loved Stafford?

Why didn't we try to trade up to #3 to take Barker? It probably wouldn't cost us that much.

Is it true that Purinton is being re-signed?

Any talk of Lundmark or Poti being traded?

Thanks.

jas 06-28-2004 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prucha73
Any thoughts about Dane Byers? What do Rangers see in him that they drafted him so high? Is he simply a very good energy/checker/grinder type of guy or is there more to him?

Any idea if Rangers plan to aquire Tukonen to re-unite him with Korpikoski? Immonen could center both of them.

Any talk of dealing one of our young goalies?

So it is not true that Rangers loved Stafford?

Why didn't we try to trade up to #3 to take Barker? It probably wouldn't cost us that much.

Thanks.

If you go to EDGE's draft review on the other unnamed site, you'll see that he was almost 99% sure that the Rangers top five on their board were 1) Ovechkin, 2) Malkin, 3) Montoya, 4) Ladd, 5) Stafford. So, my guess is that if they traded up to three, they weren't taking Barker.

Prucha73 06-28-2004 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jas
If you go to EDGE's draft review on the other unnamed site, you'll see that he was almost 99% sure that the Rangers top five on their board were 1) Ovechkin, 2) Malkin, 3) Montoya, 4) Ladd, 5) Stafford. So, my guess is that if they traded up to three, they weren't taking Barker.

What didn't they like about Barker? He is big and almost sure future #1 defenseman in NHL

jas 06-28-2004 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prucha73
What didn't they like about Barker? He is big and almost sure future #1 defenseman in NHL

His feet smell and he doesn't put the toilet seat down? :dunno: I think you're asking the wrong person on that one.

NYR469 06-28-2004 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prucha73
Any talk of dealing one of our young goalies?

you are getting way way way ahead of yourself...the rangers have 3 UNPROVEN potential #1 goales...

down the road hopefully all 3 work out and we'll look to move 1 or 2 in a trade, but right now that isn't even on the radar, especially since the 3 goalies won't effect each other right now with blackburn in hartford, montoya at michigan and lundqvist in sweden...

we'll worry about this in 2 years

S_O_T_I 06-29-2004 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prucha73
Any thoughts about Dane Byers? What do Rangers see in him that they drafted him so high? Is he simply a very good energy/checker/grinder type of guy or is there more to him?

Any idea if Rangers plan to aquire Tukonen to re-unite him with Korpikoski? Immonen could center both of them.

Any talk of dealing one of our young goalies?

So it is not true that Rangers loved Stafford?

Why didn't we try to trade up to #3 to take Barker? It probably wouldn't cost us that much.

Is it true that Purinton is being re-signed?

Any talk of Lundmark or Poti being traded?

Thanks.

Prucha..I would not expect them to go after Tukonen, there is no talk of trade a goalie yet. I think you need to wait at least a year, if not more, to see if Blackburn bounces back and if Lundqvist can play another year at a high level. Don’t expect a trade of a goalie any time soon.
I don't know where Stafford was on their board, but I'm pretty sure that Korpikoski was higher than him.
I assume they didn't try to trade up to get Barker because you don't trade up unless you feel the value you can get where you're picking is significantly lower then the player you want to trade up for. They probably felt it wasn't worth it. Or if Edge is correct, they had Montoya higher (but I heard Montoya was 4th).

Purinton will be tendered.

I know for a fact that Sather did not want to part with Lundmark. I have no idea why some people are so down on him. He's young and has a world of potential. He wasn't coached properly and should be a very very good player down the road. I can still see 1st or 2nd line center potential. Prucha, please don't take this the wrong way, but how old are you? And how long have you been a Rangers fan? I don't mean that with any disrespect, I'm just curious.
.

DarthSather99 06-29-2004 08:08 AM

In the paper yesterday Maloney was quoted as saying that Korpikoski was #4 on a list of 12 the Rangers thought highly of. I assume the top 4 would then be like this:


1-Ovechikin (If he's not #1 then the rangers have problems)
2-Malkin (#1 Center in the draft, lots thought he made Ovechukin look better)
3-Montoya (He was picked with the #6 pick so he has to be here)
4-Korpikoski (According to Maloney he was #4)

S_O_T_I 06-29-2004 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthSather99
In the paper yesterday Maloney was quoted as saying that Korpikoski was #4 on a list of 12 the Rangers thought highly of. I assume the top 4 would then be like this:


1-Ovechikin (If he's not #1 then the rangers have problems)
2-Malkin (#1 Center in the draft, lots thought he made Ovechukin look better)
3-Montoya (He was picked with the #6 pick so he has to be here)
4-Korpikoski (According to Maloney he was #4)

Do you know which paper? (Are refering to Maloney comments that "of the 12 players we liked, he was #4"). I think this meant more like..of the 12 players that will be available to us at #6 (I think he assumed the top three would already be gone)

Saterday night I spoke to Renny and he said Korpikoski was #9, but Sunday I was told #7. I never heard #4, but if MSG airs the behind the scene show again, we'll find out which is correct.

RFAN 06-29-2004 09:16 AM

Soti
 
With the draft now behind us and in all reality a few before we know how we did, is there any talk about holes to fill with UFA? With the labor issues I'm not expecting much but are any name floating around? Most would like a guy like Barnaby back since he is a fan favorite. And should we expect that Mess will wait to the last possible second to make a decision about coming back? Thanks in advance.

S_O_T_I 06-29-2004 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFAN
With the draft now behind us and in all reality a few before we know how we did, is there any talk about holes to fill with UFA? With the labor issues I'm not expecting much but are any name floating around? Most would like a guy like Barnaby back since he is a fan favorite. And should we expect that Mess will wait to the last possible second to make a decision about coming back? Thanks in advance.

RFAN, I don't think most teams are thinking about UFA as much as they have in years past. Based on some general comments that have been made, I don't expect anything big from them, nor have I heard any names yet. The little that I've heard is that they would like to bring Lindros, Barnaby and Simon back (in that order), but that was about a month ago. If a new CBA is agreed to, I expect some holes to be filled, especially a veteran Defenseman and a winger.

DarthSather99 06-29-2004 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S_O_T_I
Do you know which paper? (Are refering to Maloney comments that "of the 12 players we liked, he was #4"). I think this meant more like..of the 12 players that will be available to us at #6 (I think he assumed the top three would already be gone)

Saterday night I spoke to Renny and he said Korpikoski was #9, but Sunday I was told #7. I never heard #4, but if MSG airs the behind the scene show again, we'll find out which is correct.

That is the article.."of the 12 players we liked he was #4" How can you assume anything at the draft? You certainely can't assume certain players will be available to you......like Wheeler. You don't know how other teams rank players. So when he says that, I take it to mean that the Rangers thought there were 12 "impact" players who had a good shot at making the NHL. In other words how can you not have Ovechukin, Barker and Malkin on that list GOD forbid the above teams pulled a brain fart and passed on them.....but in reality you KNOW they will not be there. It could have also been assumed that Montoya wasn't going to be there at #6 given the signals Phoenix was sending out.

S_O_T_I 06-29-2004 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthSather99
That is the article.."of the 12 players we liked he was #4" How can you assume anything at the draft? You certainely can't assume certain players will be available to you......like Wheeler. You don't know how other teams rank players. So when he says that, I take it to mean that the Rangers thought there were 12 "impact" players who had a good shot at making the NHL. In other words how can you not have Ovechukin, Barker and Malkin on that list GOD forbid the above teams pulled a brain fart and passed on them.....but in reality you KNOW they will not be there. It could have also been assumed that Montoya wasn't going to be there at #6 given the signals Phoenix was sending out.

You normally can't. This year the three top teams all but told everyone who they were going to pick. It wasn't a well kept seceret. Now, the trade at #4 and the Wheeler pick were a surprise. The day before the draft, all of the GM's are interviewed a hundred times and they sometimes give "hints". The top three all but said what they were doing..as did the Rangers.

TKLOOCH22 06-29-2004 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S_O_T_I
RFAN, I don't think most teams are thinking about UFA as much as they have in years past. Based on some general comments that have been made, I don't expect anything big from them, nor have I heard any names yet. The little that I've heard is that they would like to bring Lindros, Barnaby and Simon back (in that order), but that was about a month ago. If a new CBA is agreed to, I expect some holes to be filled, especially a veteran Defenseman and a winger.

I'd really love to see Friesen cut by Jersey and signed by us. Other than that I see no need to go out and repeat the past by getting a Kariya or Demitra.

Prucha73 06-29-2004 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S_O_T_I
Prucha, please don't take this the wrong way, but how old are you? And how long have you been a Rangers fan? I don't mean that with any disrespect, I'm just curious.
.

Why would you care how old I am? And how long I been a Ranger fan?

By the way Soti, is it true that you are Larry Brooks? I don't mean that with any disrespect, I'm just curious.

S_O_T_I 06-29-2004 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prucha73
Why would you care how old I am? And how long I been a Ranger fan?

By the way Soti, is it true that you are Larry Brooks? I don't mean that with any disrespect, I'm just curious.


For the record..I'm not Larry Brooks, but I have a lot of respect for him.

Larry Melnyk 06-29-2004 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S_O_T_I
Prucha, I read these boards to get the "fans" perspective. I also document some of the things posted on the boards for me to reference in future projects. Since your an avid poster who is very opinionated (and passionate), I'd like to know the demographic of the poster. I don't need an exact age, but if I had to guess I'm guessing 12-16? or at least that I put in my notes.

For the record..I'm not Larry Brooks, but I have a lot of respect for him.


SOTI---A question on Blackburn for you. ...This may have already been talked about in other threads but I couldn't find it...I didn't want to start a stand alone thread so here goes...

Do you have any info on what the Rangers are thinking (not reporting) about Blackburn's recovery?

I was at the draft on Saturday and sitting near the floor..After the Montoya pick, a few friends were talking to a distinguished looking white haired guy (we first thought he was with the Rangers but then thought he was just on Security detail!! Who knows!!) who came over to us Ranger fans to praise the pick of Montoya because of his ability, his potential "community" implications, and the fact that Blackburn was "done"....We didn't really beleive this but later on, ex Daily News Baet Writer Frank Brown was talking with us and kinda saying the same things, except for Blackburn's nerve being "uncertain" and not "finished"...

Just wondering if the Rangers, contrary to reports, are very afraid about Blackburn's recovery and if anything is being hidden.....Or if they just loved Montoya as the BPA...Or both!

Prucha73 06-29-2004 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S_O_T_I
Prucha, I read these boards to get the "fans" perspective. I also document some of the things posted on the boards for me to reference in future projects. Since your an avid poster who is very opinionated (and passionate), I'd like to know the demographic of the poster. I don't need an exact age, but if I had to guess I'm guessing 12-16? or at least that I put in my notes.

For the record..I'm not Larry Brooks, but I have a lot of respect for him.

You flatter me, my friend, I am still in single digits, unless of course you were going by months. I wonder why you aren't interested in the age of the many passionate Ranger fans on this board, am I truly that special? In any case I am very honored by your vivid interest in me. I would be happy provide some material for one of your columns, Larr...err..Soti.

bmoak 06-29-2004 02:20 PM

Does SOTI stand for Seduction of the Innocent?

S_O_T_I 06-29-2004 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmoak
Does SOTI stand for Seduction of the Innocent?

No need to go there.

I was not trying to insult anyone, by the tone of his posts, he sounded young and therefore I'm not going use any of his posts in my research.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.