HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Dallas Stars (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Player Discussion: Jamie Benn (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=873480)

Jussha 02-06-2011 10:03 AM

Jamie Benn
 
Just a quick question here from a Wings fan, if you guys resign Brad Richards, do you guys have space to extend both Benn and Neal the following season?

I'm not to familiar with your guys' cap situation, but I love Jamie Benn lol. I look at him and I feel like he is going to be the next generation Brendan Shanahan in 3 years. Are Dallas fans as fond of him? If management had to pick between him or Neal to keep and trade the other, would Benn be the one they trade?

If so, what would Dallas want in return? That fight against Iggy was just crazy too, even though I think Iggy kind of got the win at the end as Benn seemed to tire, the fact that he bloodied up his face was just awesome.

Mike Farkas 02-06-2011 10:15 AM

Not a Stars fan per se, but Jamie Benn is not going anywhere. The Stars wouldn't trade him for anything really. A source within the team told me (snippet), "We talked about what it would take for us to move Jamie.......if the Sharks offered us Joe Thornton for him we wouldn't do it"

Management really likes Benn and Neal and I don't see them moving either of them for quite some time...unless they get a big-time, elite, #1 PMD...easier said than done...

vofty 02-06-2011 10:31 AM

I'd say Mike Farkas summed it up pretty well. Benn will be a Star for a long time to come. If you want him on your favorite team you could always become a Stars fan :sarcasm:

Dempsey 02-06-2011 10:40 AM

Everyone wants Jamie Benn. I've read it in passing on other teams' boards quite a few times.

Ogi1Kenobi 02-06-2011 11:45 AM

He's the steal of the '07 draft. 5th round (129th overall). Still baffles me that we were able snag this guy.

To answer the OP's question. If we lose Richards in the offseason I think management will more likely extend both Neal and Benn (the offense has to come from somewhere, right?). They're both very popular with Dallas management, but if they had to let one go Neal would probably be moved before Benn.

Jussha 02-06-2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogi1Kenobi (Post 30698200)
He's the steal of the '07 draft. 5th round (129th overall). Still baffles me that we were able snag this guy.

To answer the OP's question. If we lose Richards in the offseason I think management will more likely extend both Neal and Benn (the offense has to come from somewhere, right?). They're both very popular with Dallas management, but if they had to let one go Neal would probably be moved before Benn.

I completely agree. I had no idea who this kid was until I watched him play, and then I looked him up and saw Dallas snatched him in the 5th round and was just like "wow".

Every time I watch this kid play I get the feeling in his prime he will be the post lock-out version of Brendan Shanahan back in his day, and to get that in the 5th round is just amazing.

glovesave_35 02-06-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussha (Post 30696767)
I'm not to familiar with your guys' cap situation, but I love Jamie Benn lol. I look at him and I feel like he is going to be the next generation Brendan Shanahan in 3 years. Are Dallas fans as fond of him? If management had to pick between him or Neal to keep and trade the other, would Benn be the one they trade?

Neal would be the odd man out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Farkas (Post 30696894)
The Stars wouldn't trade him for anything really. A source within the team told me (snippet), "We talked about what it would take for us to move Jamie.......if the Sharks offered us Joe Thornton for him we wouldn't do it"

This is good to hear.

txdude5101 02-06-2011 03:04 PM

What round and pick do you think Jamie Benn could of been picked if people knew he would of been this good!

piqued 02-06-2011 03:12 PM

He'd probably go #2 overall behind Kane.

Captain Awesome 02-06-2011 04:23 PM

I wanted to contest Piqued's comment, but looking at that draft, I think he's totally right. I'm not even sure I want Patrick Kane over Benn when all is said and done, but I think we'll need another couple of years to decide that one.

Ambassador Of Fun 02-06-2011 04:42 PM

Don't forget Couture. He's somewhere in that mix.

Rune Forumwalker 02-07-2011 12:01 AM

Not so sure he'd be a lock for number two, but he'd definitely be in the top ten at the very least, and probably in the top five though.

Ampersand 02-07-2011 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogi1Kenobi (Post 30698200)
He's the steal of the '07 draft. 5th round (129th overall). Still baffles me that we were able snag this guy.

To answer the OP's question. If we lose Richards in the offseason I think management will more likely extend both Neal and Benn (the offense has to come from somewhere, right?). They're both very popular with Dallas management, but if they had to let one go Neal would probably be moved before Benn.

Agreed, I really think that once Benn hits the stride of his career, Dallas' scouting will be getting a lot of praise much like Detroit has for some of their late round picks

Aquiace 02-08-2011 03:03 AM

I had considered posting a similar thread, but then I read all the comments.

Kritter471 02-08-2011 03:09 AM

He skated after practice with a stick today, apparently. That's good. He's not as close as Wandell (who might play Wednesday) or Petersen (who might pre-game skate Wednesday to see if he's ready) but he's also not completely sidelined.

LordHelmet 02-08-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussha (Post 30696767)
Just a quick question here from a Wings fan, if you guys resign Brad Richards, do you guys have space to extend both Benn and Neal the following season?

Yes. Cap space is not a problem in Dallas. We're operating on an internal cap that's way, way below the league cap. From the looks of it, the group in control of the team is ok with freeing up the purse strings a little bit because of the team's success and the promise of a possible playoff run.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussha (Post 30696767)
Are Dallas fans as fond of him? If management had to pick between him or Neal to keep and trade the other, would Benn be the one they trade?

Dallas fans are thrilled with Benn. We don't want to trade either one of them, but if we absolutely had to, Neal would be the one to go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Farkas (Post 30696894)
Not a Stars fan per se, but Jamie Benn is not going anywhere. The Stars wouldn't trade him for anything really. A source within the team told me (snippet), "We talked about what it would take for us to move Jamie.......if the Sharks offered us Joe Thornton for him we wouldn't do it"

I completely agree with that source.

Karitimes 02-08-2011 01:31 PM

id say a lot of stars fan get excited when projecting his abilities from age 21 to 25. its going to be fun to watch him develop and improve in that timeframe.

ScubaSteve* 02-08-2011 05:05 PM

From the Wings, you'd probably be talking the best prospect in your system plus Filppula if you wanted Benn. Which of course the Wings would never do.

Ogi1Kenobi 02-08-2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve (Post 30751110)
From the Wings, you'd probably be talking the best prospect in your system plus Filppula if you wanted Benn. Which of course the Wings would never do.

I hope this is sarcasm.

Jakub Kindl +
Valtteri Filppula

for

Jamie Benn

Holland takes this and runs far away! Benn is going to be more of an impact player than Filppula and Kindl is a huge question mark.

KiedisA 01-17-2012 11:17 PM

Gulutzan: "I don't expect Ribeiro back until after the All-Star game, Benn hasn't been ruled out for next week, and Larsen could go Friday."



Are we seriously thinking about sending Jamie to Ottawa just week after the surgery?? This won't be his last time in the All-Star Game so he should just rest the weekend and sent Loui in his place..

piqued 01-17-2012 11:24 PM

The ASG is on the 29th. Benn had surgery (which I'm sure was laparoscopic) on the 15th. That's plenty of time to recover for someone in peak physical condition like Benn. Not like the ASG counts as a strenuous activity anyway.

MetalGodAOD 01-17-2012 11:38 PM

HCGG said he could play on Tuesday too. That would be 10 days. It's quick but possible. What's the danger with that type of surgery, ripping stitches?

hairylikebear 01-17-2012 11:48 PM

Sudden traumatic ultradeath.

Kritter471 01-18-2012 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnholyPrince (Post 42675721)
HCGG said he could play on Tuesday too. That would be 10 days. It's quick but possible. What's the danger with that type of surgery, ripping stitches?

It's laproscopic surgery, so the incisions are limited to 1-2 inches each (there's actually three incisions - one for the camera, one for the cutting tools and one for the bag to remove the appendix). From my reading, they're usually stapled shut. If the appendix did not burst, and his didn't because he'd be a lot sicker now if it did, then they are careful to tear as little muscle as possible, so recovery can be pretty fast.

So what they're probably waiting on is incising healing and the pain to go away.

LatvianTwist 01-18-2012 06:47 AM

Hopefully he can at least go up there and get the experience, even if he can't actually play.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.