HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   GBU Lightning Struck (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=874564)

Chainshot 02-08-2011 10:25 PM

Lightning Struck

The Good -

- Battling through and not quitting. They had some very good cycle on the Tampa D and kept it up as things wore on.
- Cleaning up the turnovers.
- Stafford and Vanek continue to prop-up the pop gun offense.
- Connolly with another.
- The Mini's were energetic and Ennis's feed to Connolly was awesome.
- Myers dropping Downie.
- Good PKing
- Gaining a point on 8th
- Ennis filling in Smaby
- McCormick-Byron-Gerbe good... but they threw Vanek out there in place of Gerbe and Byron/McCormick set the table
- Weber's early hit in the third -- nice tone setter. The backhand pass to Vanek? Holy eye-popper.
- Leopold was offensive in a good way.
- Seeing Hecht jawwing Vinny and clearly was giving him some **** for their fight.

The Bad -

- Both of Bergenheim's goals had me questioning Miller's focus
- Downie is such a dip. He takes a dumb penalty after the goal. With the attention on the the linesman incident, it will probably cost him some cash too.
- Roloson. Rattled badly and still no wins against Buffalo.
- Hedman-Ohlund did not look good.
- Rej greyed my hair tonight. That first goal, all he has to do is hard into the wall and it's going the other way. Meh. Glad Myers picked him up tonight.

The Ugly -

- Marc Andre Bergeron. Minus 4 and a non-factor all night except on Stafford's fall into Roloson.
- Where the hell are these guys most nights in Buffalo?

Ron Barr 02-08-2011 10:27 PM

Basically...

1st Period: bad
2nd Period: worse
3rd Period: ****ING AMAZING

My only fear about this game is that we'll head into Florida and hit a rut offensively. We've scored 6 and 7 goals in our last 2 games, usually our team comes up flat after having 1 high scoring game, let alone 2. Let's hope I'm wrong though.

Fire Me 02-08-2011 10:27 PM

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/phot...CAfRofqsUgE%3D

sabresfan129103 02-08-2011 10:28 PM

Wasn't a fan of Miller tonight. Also I loved how the other team were mental midgets for a change.

slip 02-08-2011 10:29 PM

Good:

Weber/Morrisonn with great chemistry.

OpethianSabre20 02-08-2011 10:31 PM

The only bad things that stuck out to me were Miller's play and some of the defensive breakdowns on those TB goals. Other than that, the team was great and hopefully they'll take their talents down to South Beach against the Panthers next game. :D

drinking bleach irl 02-08-2011 10:32 PM

Good: Vanek's PP time. Just under 5 minutes.

Bad: Vanek's overall time. Just under 15 minutes.

slip 02-08-2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems (Post 30759611)
Good: Vanek's PP time. Just under 5 minutes.

Bad: Vanek's overall time. Just under 15 minutes.

The minutes were evenly balanced tonight throughout the lineup. That's what happens when you put in a team effort.

Ron Barr 02-08-2011 10:37 PM

It was amazing how Tampa looked near perfect for the first two periods. Then a little physicality, a little unrest, and their team just fell apart. That looked like a sure loss for the Sabres for almost the whole game, then they just burst out of nowhere and score seventy billion goals.

Chainshot 02-08-2011 10:37 PM

The shocking -- Hecht 12 of 18 at the dot.

drinking bleach irl 02-08-2011 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slip (Post 30759676)
The minutes were evenly balanced tonight throughout the lineup. That's what happens when you put in a team effort.

The only guys with less are Gerbe, Byron, Connolly, and McCormick. I don't care for that.

Zip15 02-08-2011 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Barr (Post 30759718)
It was amazing how Tampa looked near perfect for the first two periods. Then a little physicality, a little unrest, and their team just fell apart. That looked like a sure loss for the Sabres for almost the whole game, then they just burst out of nowhere and score seventy billion goals.

They're the Capitals of the previous two seasons. Great offensively. Questionable defensively. Of Boston, Philly, or Tampa, I'd certainly prefer the Lightning if we make the playoffs.

BuiltTagonTough 02-08-2011 11:02 PM

Good:

Gaining ground on 8th place.

Bad:

Missing the game

Ugly:

7 goals and not one point from Pominville. Another game of Survivor by the wayside :laugh:

gallagt01 02-08-2011 11:49 PM

Vanek has carried this team offensively since roy went out. he deserves a lot of credit, he's just under a point per game now. staff has also been great when healthy.

Myllz 02-08-2011 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainshot (Post 30759726)
The shocking -- Hecht 12 of 18 at the dot.

And a -2 with 0 points in a 7 goal effort. Pominville with the same result. At least Pominville has been better lately; Hecht has been awful all season.

Great game overall, though. The third period was awesome.

Jame 02-09-2011 12:10 AM

the good
- being at another Stafford hattie game
- Weber/Morrisonn
- Vanek/McCormick line in 3rd
- Ennis speed game
- good call ref (leopold tying goal)
- very composed game

the bad
- Miller on Bergenheim 1st goal
- Hecht/Poms
- Not a good game from rej

the awesome
- starting the we want 8 chant

Bobby Bottle Service 02-09-2011 12:13 AM

Tampa in the first period reminded me of the Sabres in 06-07. The raw speed, the odd man rushes off turnovers. Thought we were really lucky not to be down further. Miller kept us in this one, again.

Rej had a particularly hard time, especially on the 2nd Tampa goal. He muffs a pass in the neutral zone allowing Hedman to bear down on him, knock him over and chip the puck into the zone, and then topped it off with a picture perfect pass through Sekera's legs right onto Lecavalier's stick.

Loving Myers and his physical play of late. He's been taking out the trash since the All-Star break.

Leopold was great tonight, along with Weber.

ZZamboni 02-09-2011 12:27 AM

G - the continued fight in the team
B - the continued inconsistency this season
U - Miller on 2 of the 4 goals

Am I in the minority here? I don't want the Sabres to make the playoffs and get rolled in 4 and hurt our draft position. This team is absolutely positively not good enough to make a legit run at the cup. Is it talent? Is it drive? Is it heart? Is it coaching?

All the above?

JOHNBOY 02-09-2011 12:29 AM

The Bad:

Who sits for Kaleta Thursday night?

JOHNBOY 02-09-2011 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jame (Post 30761566)
the good
- being at another Stafford hattie game
the awesome
- starting the we want 8 chant

The Sabres seem to have a solid record when your in attendance?!

Dubi Doo 02-09-2011 12:32 AM

....The Terrible Three...

I wish I saw the game!

slip 02-09-2011 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHNBOY (Post 30761884)
The Bad:

Byron, provided everyone else is healthy to play.

Jame 02-09-2011 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHNBOY (Post 30761908)
The Sabres seem to have a solid record when your in attendance?!

no, over the long haul they are still 500:laugh:

New Sabres Captain 02-09-2011 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHNBOY (Post 30761884)
The Bad:

It should be Nieds, but judging by the fact he was the skater of choice on a 3-on-3...I guess Byron will go down :(

Granted, it's not the worst thing for Byron's development to spend more time in the AHL, but the Sabres are better off with him in the lineup than Nieds.

Jame 02-09-2011 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71Zamboni (Post 30761848)
G - the continued fight in the team
B - the continued inconsistency this season
U - Miller on 2 of the 4 goals

Am I in the minority here? I don't want the Sabres to make the playoffs and get rolled in 4 and hurt our draft position. This team is absolutely positively not good enough to make a legit run at the cup. Is it talent? Is it drive? Is it heart? Is it coaching?

All the above?

they just beat the #2 seed... just sayin