HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   OT: General Fitness Thread #3 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=874822)

LyricalLyricist 02-09-2011 01:49 PM

General Fitness Thread #3

Dropped the battle of the bulge off the title, seemed about right.

Continue here.

Last thread here.

Next Best Thing* 02-09-2011 01:50 PM

Hi, I am Ronnie Coleman.

http://www.ebodybuilding.info/wp-con...ie-coleman.jpg

coolasprICE 02-09-2011 01:59 PM

If I ever came home and saw Ronnie Coleman in bed with my gf ...

I'm not sure what i'd be able to do about it

Alicat 02-09-2011 02:16 PM

I wanted to say thank you to all of you for doing this. I saw it in August and started one on our board. We've seen amazing results on our side as it seems you all have too.

I want to thank you all for starting it, it inspired me to loose 40 lbs since August.

Thank You and keep up the great work!

fufonzo 02-09-2011 03:32 PM

Just ordered the book "Why We Get Fat; And What to do About it" and I'm so very pumped to read it.

I'd read about Gary Taubes's "Good Calorie, Bad Calories" and considered buying it until I heard he was coming out with this one. (the other one, I heard is like over 600 pages long)

I'd recommend anyone to have a glance at it because from the sounds of it, it's pretty revolutionary. (Currently #1 best-selling book on "Nutrition" at Amazon.com).
I recommend reading the reviews of it on Amazon.com (rather than .ca since there seems to be better reviewers.) I almost feel I don't need to read the book anymore after reading all those reviews, hahaha.

Warning: Most people will need to keep an open mind because it goes against pretty much everything the government tells you about nutrition and exercise - yet is backed up by loads of science and studies (Taubes is first and foremost a scientist).

Anyways, once I read the book, I'll report back on my thoguhts in case anyone is interested.

One Man Rock Band 02-09-2011 03:51 PM

Ugh.. today sucked for me. I went to the gym for a workout with less weights (planks, lunges, squats, jumping squats, ball crunches, wall sits?, etc.. but there is a class in session at the time I go.. - so I think I have to switch my days around which sucks. I did as much as I could in the weight room (though the space is limited). Good thing my legs hurt anyway cause I never work them out, lol.

neofury* 02-09-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fufonzo (Post 30773729)
Just ordered the book "Why We Get Fat; And What to do About it" and I'm so very pumped to read it.

I'd read about Gary Taubes's "Good Calorie, Bad Calories" and considered buying it until I heard he was coming out with this one. (the other one, I heard is like over 600 pages long)

I'd recommend anyone to have a glance at it because from the sounds of it, it's pretty revolutionary. (Currently #1 best-selling book on "Nutrition" at Amazon.com).
I recommend reading the reviews of it on Amazon.com (rather than .ca since there seems to be better reviewers.) I almost feel I don't need to read the book anymore after reading all those reviews, hahaha.

Warning: Most people will need to keep an open mind because it goes against pretty much everything the government tells you about nutrition and exercise - yet is backed up by loads of science and studies (Taubes is first and foremost a scientist).

Anyways, once I read the book, I'll report back on my thoguhts in case anyone is interested.

I'd laugh if it's a 500 page book and the first page says "Maybe it's because you're sitting here reading about being fat and not out there exercising". Then the rest of the book is blank pages.

WeezyHabFan 02-09-2011 04:32 PM

Haha Im glad to see the new title cause Im trying to put weight on, and battle of the bulge just never felt right to post in saying that...
5'11 and hoping to get solid 185 for summer currently 8 pounds away.

ruski17 02-09-2011 04:41 PM

In two days, I lost 9 lbs!!!! Not that I wanted to lose any as I dropped from 159 to 150 because I got a stomach flu and lost most of my fluilds and ate nothing... So if anyone wants to lose weight fast, get a stomach flu! Hopefully, when I'm fully recovered, I can hit the gym again and get back that weight, but in muscle mass this time! :D

Lars Eller Superstar* 02-09-2011 06:21 PM

6 foot , 230 ... bulking season , trying to gain another 10 pounds ... all natural, no drugs :yo:

76ftw 02-09-2011 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruski17 (Post 30775368)
In two days, I lost 9 lbs!!!! Not that I wanted to lose any as I dropped from 159 to 150 because I got a stomach flu and lost most of my fluilds and ate nothing... So if anyone wants to lose weight fast, get a stomach flu! Hopefully, when I'm fully recovered, I can hit the gym again and get back that weight, but in muscle mass this time! :D

I hate that. Whenever I get sick I lose a lot of weight, never weighed myself, but it's obvious.

I am 6'2" and weigh about 185-190 pounds. I don't work out, will be the first to admit it.* That said, I am going to University next year and there is a gym on campus so I may as well use it. What are some good, basic work outs to follow? I don't want to lose weight at all or anything, I basically just want to have a bit more strength, especially with my arms.

*Well, other then playing soccer and ball hockey whenever I get the chance but that is hardly anything really :S

WeezyHabFan 02-09-2011 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76ftw (Post 30776570)
I hate that. Whenever I get sick I lose a lot of weight, never weighed myself, but it's obvious.

I am 6'2" and weigh about 185-190 pounds. I don't work out, will be the first to admit it.* That said, I am going to University next year and there is a gym on campus so I may as well use it. What are some good, basic work outs to follow? I don't want to lose weight at all or anything, I basically just want to have a bit more strength, especially with my arms.

*Well, other then playing soccer and ball hockey whenever I get the chance but that is hardly anything really :S

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/matt107.htm
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fivestararms.htm

Galchenyuk94 02-09-2011 10:56 PM

What do you more advanced bodybuilders do for size (aesthetic) gains? Partial reps, forced reps, drop sets, negative reps, tri-sets, supersets? Different techniques for different muscle groups?

Kriss E 02-10-2011 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardo (Post 30789580)
What do you more advanced bodybuilders do for size (aesthetic) gains? Partial reps, forced reps, drop sets, negative reps, tri-sets, supersets? Different techniques for different muscle groups?

Take Steroids.

Next Best Thing* 02-10-2011 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolasprICE (Post 30771046)
If I ever came home and saw Ronnie Coleman in bed with my gf ...

I'm not sure what i'd be able to do about it

He should put on a Habs jersey with the name PK Subban on for one game against the Bruins. :laugh:

Kriss E 02-10-2011 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Next Best Thing (Post 30794391)
He should put on a Habs jersey with the name PK Subban on for one game against the Bruins. :laugh:

He'd look worse than Laraque. Not sure you want that.

Komarov47 02-10-2011 03:03 AM

i think the hardest think for me is my food habits. I'm used to eat whatever i want, for 6 years i looked like a skiny teen, but now that i'm a 26 grown man, beers and junk food hurts me a bit !

run on the beach everyweek
bodybuilding 4 hours per week (i'm a newbie shut up!)
DIET ! (fruits, salad, eggs, chicken...)
water

LyricalLyricist 02-10-2011 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alycat (Post 30771437)
I wanted to say thank you to all of you for doing this. I saw it in August and started one on our board. We've seen amazing results on our side as it seems you all have too.

I want to thank you all for starting it, it inspired me to loose 40 lbs since August.

Thank You and keep up the great work!

Thank you and congrats. Glad it worked out for you guys.

Galchenyuk94 02-10-2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 30792348)
Take Steroids.

Pass

ClasslessGuy 02-10-2011 09:34 AM

what is the maximum of bread you should eat in a day? 2-3 slices?

LyricalLyricist 02-10-2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chubaka (Post 30797095)
what is the maximum of bread you should eat in a day? 2-3 slices?

I'm no expert but very random question. I honestly can't imagine there being a limit. It depends what else you eat and which type of bread, no? If i'm wrong and naive, ignore me here, but it's a very random question from my POV.:laugh:

JimmyDarmody 02-10-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardo (Post 30789580)

Well I train mostly for aesthetics and what it comes down to is first your own definition of what you consider aesthetic. Sometimes even that will need to be tweaked based on your body type. Is a fitness model look more what you're going for, like Greg Plitt, or a bulkier body building type?

Galchenyuk94 02-10-2011 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody (Post 30797328)
Well I train mostly for aesthetics and what it comes down to is first your own definition of what you consider aesthetic. Sometimes even that will need to be tweaked based on your body type. Is a fitness model look more what you're going for, like Greg Plitt, or a bulkier body building type?

Had to google Greg Plitt. That's the kind of physique I think is ideal. Definitely not looking for something bulky like Ronnie Coleman. And at that stage do you drop compound exercises and focus on muscles 1 by 1?

JimmyDarmody 02-10-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardo (Post 30797625)
Had to google Greg Plitt. That's the kind of physique I think is ideal. Definitely not looking for something bulky like Ronnie Coleman. And at that stage do you drop compound exercises and focus on muscles 1 by 1?

I think at that stage you do a bit of everything. I would never entirely drop compound exercises, but would consider decreasing the frequency. Throw in some isolation exercises for sure. Do high intensity cardio that combines running with other compound movements. I like to do some interval sprints with some pull ups thrown in and some aerobic stuff. What seems most important is to just keep changing your routine around a lot faster than when you're lifting heavy.

All the while going to sleep at night wishing for genes like that.

McSorleyStick 02-10-2011 10:43 AM

I really have to switch to a compound exercises workout

I have never done exercises such as squats, deadlifts, pullups

Not only they are said to involve more muscles and joints, but they seem to be time-saving

Really looking forward to doing them