HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Speculation: Setoguch for Gologoski? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=874849)

LadyStanley 02-09-2011 01:34 PM

Setoguch for Gologoski?

fearthefin
According to @DarrenDreger, if Pittsburgh is looking to acquire Devin Setoguchi, it's likely Alex Gologoski would have to be included.
Gologoski is a great offensive talent on the blueline, and would instantly help San Jose out on the power play. Good skater and passer.

hockeyball 02-09-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyStanley (Post 30771997)
fearthefin
According to @DarrenDreger, if Pittsburgh is looking to acquire Devin Setoguchi, it's likely Alex Gologoski would have to be included.

I think it makes a lot of sense, but it's just speculation. Seto is exactly what the Pen's need, a cheap but extremely talented winger for Crosby.

AG is a very good young puck moving defensemen.

It just makes too much sense to totally discount.

AKM83 02-09-2011 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyball (Post 30772043)
I think it makes a lot of sense, but it's just speculation. Seto is exactly what the Pen's need, a cheap but extremely talented winger for Crosby.

AG is a very good young puck moving defensemen.

It just makes too much sense to totally discount.

Agreed. As much I like Seto, I think Gogo would be an adequate return.

Jesus Toews* 02-09-2011 01:41 PM

Doesn't make sense from the Sharks POV. It's filling one hole while creating another. And the Sharks have young PMDs in the system (Braun, Schaus, Irwin). They need a vet PMD for the remainder of the season and possibly next year but if he costs anything close to Seto it wouldn't be worth it. Pass big-time.

Thorntonfan97 02-09-2011 01:42 PM

I would say yes to the deal I think Seto would play good next to Sid, but Sid may be done for the season

hockeyball 02-09-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turnstyles (Post 30772156)
Doesn't make sense from the Sharks POV. It's filling one hole while creating another. And the Sharks have young PMDs in the system (Braun, Schaus, Irwin). They need a vet PMD for the remainder of the season and possibly next year but if he costs anything close to Seto it wouldn't be worth it. Pass big-time.

He's a vet at this point. Gogo's rounding into a damn fine d-man. He's basically Demers in a few years, which is exactly what we need right now. Sure there are better options, but we have 7 top 6 and Gogo puts our defense in contention. I'd rather move Heatley, but that is not going to happen right now.

Jesus Toews* 02-09-2011 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyball (Post 30772269)
He's a vet at this point. Gogo's rounding into a damn fine d-man. He's basically Demers in a few years, which is exactly what we need right now. Sure there are better options, but we have 7 top 6 and Gogo puts our defense in contention. I'd rather move Heatley, but that is not going to happen right now.

Personally I don't want to mess with the forward depth. The Sharks have three legitimate scoring lines for the first time I can remember and that's indisputably a key to playoff success. Yes, they need to shore up the defense but the difference between adding someone like Montador or Kurtis Foster for middling picks versus adding Gogo really isn't that significant. At least IMO.

Sharkway Drive 02-09-2011 01:48 PM

I would definitely do this deal, we would have a big loss in seto but with his production this year and the acquisitions of wellwood and eager we have too many forwards right now. Gologoski gives us exactly what we need and would be a good pairing for vlasic.

of course it would be better to drop a cap dump along with seto but straight up it sounds like a fair deal.

Crazy Joe Divola 02-09-2011 01:52 PM

I'm a fan of Seto, so if we do lose him I would love to be able to watch him play alongside Crosby. That would be a lot of fun (as long as not against the Sharkies)

Thorntonfan97 02-09-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by methuselah (Post 30772369)
I would definitely do this deal, we would have a big loss in seto but with his production this year and the acquisitions of wellwood and eager we have too many forwards right now. Gologoski gives us exactly what we need and would be a good pairing for vlasic.

of course it would be better to drop a cap dump along with seto but straight up it sounds like a fair deal.

This
Huskins + Seto for Goligoski

ChompChomp 02-09-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by methuselah (Post 30772369)

I don't know if a cap dump is needed if it's Seto for Gogo. The salaries are essentially a wash and I wouldn't mind keeping Huskins and waiving Wallin sending him to the A [nobody is going to claim him] and keeping him fresh for the playoffs.

Boyle-Murray
Gogo-Vlasic
Demers-Huskins

With everyone but Huskins returning next season? Sure.

ChompChomp 02-09-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turnstyles (Post 30772327)
Personally I don't want to mess with the forward depth. The Sharks have three legitimate scoring lines for the first time I can remember and that's indisputably a key to playoff success. Yes, they need to shore up the defense but the difference between adding someone like Montador or Kurtis Foster for middling picks versus adding Gogo really isn't that significant. At least IMO.

You don't remember last season in March when the Sharks were in a slump and TMac used the following lines to get out of the slump:

Clowe-Thornton-Mitchell
Malhotra-Marleau-Pavelski
Heatley-Couture-Seto

That was less than a year ago. Replace Mitchell, Manny and Seto with Wellwood, Eager, and I guess Ferreiro.

Forget the lines, but a top 9 of Thornton, Marleau, Heatley, Couture, Pavelski, Clowe, Wellwood, Ferreiro, Eager is still formidable. Can be very good if Heatley/Marleau/Thornton step it up.

gonegonegone* 02-09-2011 02:05 PM

this isn't DW's MO though he doesn't like trading "core" (and i take a very broad view of core here) players at the deadline, it's usually disappointing player + 1st for some rental (soupy, rivet) or prospect + midpick for crappy bottom pair dman (wallins, huskins).

ChompChomp 02-09-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by endy (Post 30772908)
this isn't DW's MO though he doesn't like trading "core" (and i take a very broad view of core here) players at the deadline, it's usually disappointing player + 1st for some rental (soupy, rivet) or prospect + midpick for crappy bottom pair dman (wallins, huskins).

Definitely not his MO, but if there was ever a truly fair deal DW could pull off that addresses a need we have and gives fair value away (and addresses a need of the Pens), it's Seto for Gogo. Similar cap hits, both still young. Having a hard time thinking of a more fair deal in the NHL this season, actual trade or rumor.

Jesus Toews* 02-09-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChompChomp (Post 30772851)
You don't remember last season in March when the Sharks were in a slump and TMac used the following lines to get out of the slump:

Clowe-Thornton-Mitchell
Malhotra-Marleau-Pavelski
Heatley-Couture-Seto

That was less than a year ago. Replace Mitchell, Manny and Seto with Wellwood, Eager, and I guess Ferreiro.

Forget the lines, but a top 9 of Thornton, Marleau, Heatley, Couture, Pavelski, Clowe, Wellwood, Ferreiro, Eager is still formidable. Can be very good if Heatley/Marleau/Thornton step it up.

Clowe--Thornton--Mitchell is not even on par with Eager--Couture--Wellwood. Replacing Seto with Ferriero is a huge downgrade, completely eliminates what little speed the Sharks have in their top six (already a major deficiency) and legitimately brings them down to two actual scoring lines for the purpose of the postseason. Gogo would be nice but not at the cost of Seto.

Herschel 02-09-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by endy (Post 30772908)

I don't think DW considers Seto to be a "core" player. I think he is just on the outside looking in.

I don't mind this trade since it isn't a rental, Goligoski is signed through next season and then still only an RFA. While it does limit the Shark's forward depth I only think that factors IF injuries become an issue.

Goligoski plays 20+ mins and is young.

All of this I don't see DW making this trade unless Pittsburgh add something. This is too close of a value for value trade and with the Pens injury issues he is going to try to outright win any trade with the Pens.

Sharkway Drive 02-09-2011 02:15 PM

turnstyles, you have to give to get, and right now, our defense has a bigger gaping hole rather than our offense. We have the talent to be a high offensive team, we just havent seen it yet. Fairy-o has stepped up this year and has shown that he can be a solid third liner. Hell he even had more points in 5 games than seto did in 20 before seto's injury.

I agree with chomp, this is the closest to a truly fair deal we can get. Seto needs a change of scenery anyway, just tell him there are hotter chicks in Pittsburgh.

Jesus Toews* 02-09-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herschel (Post 30773177)
While it does limit the Shark's forward depth I only think that factors IF injuries become an issue.

That's where you're wrong (and I don't mean to pick on you, a lot of people seem to have the same viewpoint). Look at the Hawks' and Flyers' top three scoring lines last spring:

Byfuglien--Toews--Kane
Brouwer--Sharp--Hossa
Ladd--Bolland--Versteeg

Leino--Briere--Hartnell
Gagne--Richards--Asham
vanRiemsdyk--Carter--Giroux

Those are three lines that can put the puck in the net and, when everyone is healthy and playing to their potential, the Sharks can finally say that they're capable of icing that. Giving away Seto not only derails the team down to two lines, it takes away one of only two players with speed in the entire top nine. Yes, the Sharks need a PMD. Yes, Goligoski is the type of player they should be targeting but not at the cost of Setoguchi because it really is just filling one hole by creating another.

ChompChomp 02-09-2011 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herschel (Post 30773177)
I don't think DW considers Seto to be a "core" player. I think he is just on the outside looking in.

I don't mind this trade since it isn't a rental, Goligoski is signed through next season and then still only an RFA. While it does limit the Shark's forward depth I only think that factors IF injuries become an issue.

Goligoski plays 20+ mins and is young.

All of this I don't see DW making this trade unless Pittsburgh add something. This is too close of a value for value trade and with the Pens injury issues he is going to try to outright win any trade with the Pens.

Add Ben Lovejoy? He's a defensive dman, low cap hit for next several years, but he's more mobile than Huskins or Wallin and our D could use more mobility. Makes for a good (better) partner to Boyle.

Boyle-Lovejoy
Gogo-Vlasic
Demers-Huskins/Wallin (probably Wallin since we'd include Huskins in the deal, Pens have LTIR cap space to take it on)

Seto + Huskins + 4th/5th round pick in 2011 for Gogo + Lovejoy + 7th round pick in 2011

Edit: Forgot Murray. Third pairing would be Demers-Murray.

SpinTheBlackCircle 02-09-2011 02:23 PM

Unlike most trade rumors/ideas.....this seems workable for both teams.

Thorntonfan97 02-09-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChompChomp (Post 30773437)
Add Ben Lovejoy? He's a defensive dman, low cap hit for next several years, but he's more mobile than Huskins or Wallin and our D could use more mobility. Makes for a good (better) partner to Boyle.

Boyle-Lovejoy
Gogo-Vlasic
Demers-Huskins/Wallin (probably Wallin since we'd include Huskins in the deal)

Seto + Huskins + 4th/5th round pick in 2011 for Gogo + Lovejoy + 7th round pick in 2011

Id do it, dont know about Pittsburgh though??

SJeasy 02-09-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turnstyles (Post 30773044)
Clowe--Thornton--Mitchell is not even on par with Eager--Couture--Wellwood. Replacing Seto with Ferriero is a huge downgrade, completely eliminates what little speed the Sharks have in their top six (already a major deficiency) and legitimately brings them down to two actual scoring lines for the purpose of the postseason. Gogo would be nice but not at the cost of Seto.

I agree with your general principle.

Easy way to do this is track post season points. Not regular season. The Sharks have 8 forwards who can produce in the post-season. Eager is a question mark, 5 points in 37 playoff games. That is borderline 3rd line. Granted Eager may not have had minutes that he might see in SJ in the playoffs.

There was a problem in last year's playoffs which was a repeat. I like Manny, but he is not a playoff producer, 2 points in 24 playoff games. There are a lot of 3rd liners who disappear in the playoffs, the issue is finding ones who don't disappear. From the looks of his slump, I don't expect Ferriero to be able to step up. Part of the giveaway for that projection on Ferriero is shot %.

ChompChomp 02-09-2011 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorntonfan97 (Post 30773478)
Id do it, dont know about Pittsburgh though??

If they are foaming at the mouth for Seto they'd do it. I'm not being outrageous here in asking for Z or Letang. I think Seto for Gogo is fair, but if DW wants to take advantage of the Pens, he finds a way to get Gogo and Lovejoy and only give up Seto, Huskins and a pick. That could end up being a 2nd and I'm still fine with it because if you add Gogo and Lovejoy to this blueline (for now and the future) and remove Huskins, now all of a sudden you have ridiculous blueline depth with Braun down in the A and can give him all the time he needs to become better defensively so he can play at the NHL level.

And Lovejoy has an AWESOME contract, hence the reason I'm okay with throwing in a 2nd round pick in the deal.

Now: Boyle, Lovejoy (500k season cap hit), Gogo, Vlasic, Demers, Murray 7: Wallin
Next season: Boyle, Lovejoy (still less than 600k season cap hit), Gogo, Vlasic, Demers, Murray 7: Braun

If DW can swing this, he's a fool to pass if the price is simply Seto, Huskins and pick that is a 2nd or lower. Awesome short and long term deal.

wtfisthis 02-09-2011 02:30 PM

The team's need for Goligoski > need for Setoguchi and if that trade is available, DW better jump on that ASAP.

Jesus Toews* 02-09-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJeasy (Post 30773531)
I agree with your general principle.

Easy way to do this is track post season points. Not regular season. The Sharks have 8 forwards who can produce in the post-season. Eager is a question mark, 5 points in 37 playoff games. That is borderline 3rd line. Granted Eager may not have had minutes that he might see in SJ in the playoffs.

There was a problem in last year's playoffs which was a repeat. I like Manny, but he is not a playoff producer, 2 points in 24 playoff games. There are a lot of 3rd liners who disappear in the playoffs, the issue is finding ones who don't disappear. From the looks of his slump, I don't expect Ferriero to be able to step up. Part of the giveaway for that projection on Ferriero is shot %.

That's why the Wellwood pickup actually makes a lot of sense. Granted, it's a limited sample size (22 playoff games) but his 0.6 PPG average in the postseason is up there compared to other Sharks.