HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   News: Belfour Leaving T-O ? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=87520)

Traitor8 06-29-2004 12:26 AM

News: Belfour Leaving T-O ?

Sportsnet has reported that Leafs Goaltender Ed Belfour and the organization have broken off talks and that Ed Belfour is now fully prepared to test the free agent market.

Belfour is now 39 yrs old and he is apparently(from what I heard and read) looking for a 3yr deal/18+ M $ . I think the leafs are prepared to give him more money but for less years. Sportsnet says there just isn't any common ground that the two sides can agree on.

Now this is big news for the NorthEast division because as we know..a good team without a goalie just isn't a good team at all.

Possible Replacements for the Maple Leafs:

-Potvin
-Biron
-Weekes
-Irbe
-Osgood
-Cechmanek? :dunno: the acquisition of Garon

Now none of them are nearly as good as Belfour..Kolzig is a good goaltender but I think he has fallen off the past couple of years.

Possible Teams for Belfour:

-Colorado Avalanche? They want veteran goalie
-Edmonton Oilers? Conklin isn't the best
-Carolina Hurricanes? I dunno..just putting it out there
-Philadelphia Flyers? Maybe they want an even better goalie
-Pittsburgh Penguins? Rumors they want Zhamnov and Reechi..possible?
-Vancouver Canucks? Cloutier just isn't getting it done
-Atlanta Thrashers? Veteran help for Lehtonen
-New York Islanders? You never know with Milbury
-New York Rangers? They weren't happy with Dunham

Now what do you think?

fredez 06-29-2004 12:32 AM

Sounds like Colorado is the most probable destination. With Tommy Salo out of the picture, Belfour would be the ideal acquistion.

I'm anxious to see who will replace Belfour if the Leafs don't go after a goalie from another team...Trevor Kidd or Tellqvist ???? Maybe they could bring back Potvin.

leafaholix* 06-29-2004 12:39 AM

Colorado Avalanche?
- They have Aebischer as #1... and Belfour won't play as a #2 goalie.

Edmonton Oilers?
- Possibly, but they can't afford $6,000,000.

Carolina Hurricanes?
- They're looking to move Weekes who may make $2-4,000,000.
- They have Gerber, who is a legit goaltender... and Ward for the future.

Philadelphia Flyers?
- Esche is one of the best young and low profile goalies in the game.
- They can barely afford to keep their top forwards.

Pittsburgh Penguins?
- Belfour wants a 3-year deal. This can be a problem if the Pens want to develop Marc-Andre Fleury.

Vancouver Canucks?
- They can't afford it.

Atlanta Thrashers?
- Possible... but Belfour wants to compete.

New York Islanders?
- Rick DiPietro is an emerging star... he's not that young either.

New York Rangers?
- Possibly... but they're rebuilding.

Raider917 06-29-2004 12:42 AM

This is not good news for the leafs! :joker: theyre up ***** creek if belfour doesnt sign. they better pray for a moderatly long lockout to acquire someone or a very long lockout to develop one.

velimiiro 06-29-2004 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider917
This is not good news for the leafs! :joker: theyre up ***** creek if belfour doesnt sign. they better pray for a moderatly long lockout to acquire someone or a very long lockout to develop one.

True,

leafaholix* 06-29-2004 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider917

There's more than enough great goaltenders on the market to replace Belfour in the offseason. Martin Biron and Kevin Weekes are two examples. Neither are high-profile, but goaltending doesn't cost an arm and a leg nowadays.

Raider917 06-29-2004 12:48 AM

it does when you alow a league high 35 shots/game in the playoffs.

Traitor8 06-29-2004 12:48 AM

There is some good starters but they are not Eddy the eagle type starters and I doubt any of them can accomplish the same thing as Eddie did in the playoffs vs the Sens.

leafaholix* 06-29-2004 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komisarek8
There is some good starters but they are not Eddy the eagle type starters and I doubt any of them can accomplish the same thing as Eddie did in the playoffs vs the Sens.

I agree.

But spending $3 or $4,000,000 less in net allows management to go out and bring in a top defensive defenseman. If there's a strike, it allows the Leafs to persue guys like Adam Foote.

But I don't agree that the lesser known goalies cannot play as well as Belfour. For example, Robert Esche has played as well as Belfour in the last two playoffs... and you've got JS Giguere in 2003, Arturs Irbe in 2002, Mikka Kiprusoff in 2004, and guys like Dwayne Roloson.

Thomas 06-29-2004 12:58 AM

I think Belfour will end up back in TO when he hits reality. Theres no teams (at least IMO) that are ready to pay Belfour a big sum of money over 3 seasons, unless the Nucks find some way to absorb his salary. He will settle for whatever the Leafs are willing to pay in the end, because I dont think there is a better fit at the moment. It would be interesting if the Leafs do find a new goalie, Belfour will be left without a job or have to take a big pay cut to play somewhere (ie Vancouver).

Natural Habs Fan 06-29-2004 01:00 AM

Without Belfour the Leafs would suffer. He's worth the $$$, just pay him already.

leafaholix* 06-29-2004 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan
Without Belfour the Leafs would suffer. He's worth the $$$, just pay him already.

It's not the $.

I think it's the terms of the contract.

We'd suffer if our #1 goalie was 40 or 41 years of age making $7,000,000.

DirtyJeeves 06-29-2004 01:10 AM

Buffalo balked at sending Biron to Colorado, I doubt they'll send him to a division rival.

leafaholix* 06-29-2004 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyJeeves
Buffalo balked at sending Biron to Colorado, I doubt they'll send him to a division rival.

He was an example.

I don't expect nor really want Martin Biron in Toronto.

DirtyJeeves 06-29-2004 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafaholix
He was an example.

I don't expect nor really want Martin Biron in Toronto.

An example of what? Let's name Theo then, too. Huet, Irbe, anybody.

leafaholix* 06-29-2004 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyJeeves
An example of what? Let's name Theo then, too. Huet, Irbe, anybody.

He was an example of potentially available goaltenders.

Buffalo is stacked in net, they may be looking to move him. There was a report that Colorado had him as their main focus back in March at the deadline, but a deal couldn't be worked out.

Irbe was traded a couple weeks ago.