HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Are we the NY Giants of hockey? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=876451)

coolbean04 02-12-2011 12:07 PM

Are we the NY Giants of hockey?

Just like the Giants, I feel like we get off to such a great start and then fizzle down as the season comes to an end. Except Avery's first year, why does it seem like we're back peddling into the playoffs?

Could it be age? Injury? Just a coincidence? Players lose hunger/intensity? Hockey IQ/Intelligence?

Ok, let me explain the Hockey IQ/Intelligence part.

I feel like at the start of the year, all the players on every hockey team start off cold and trying to get their legs back and team chemistry. As the season goes on, players on other teams start to perfect their skill and team chemistry.

It's like teams start in 1st gear and get to 5th gear by the end of the season and into the playoffs. It seems like the Rangers go from 1st gear to 2nd gear and don't know how to go into 3rd.

I feel like the Rangers talents are limited and there hockey intelligence are limited so as the season progresses, other teams get better and we stay the same.

What do you guys think?

NYGRYK21 02-12-2011 12:13 PM

The only problem is, I feel that the Giants have wayyyyyyy more talent, like they could be in the SB if they didn't fizzle toward the end, but the rest of the comparison is spot on.

Fitzy 02-12-2011 12:14 PM

The Giants won a super bowl 4 years ago. They have one of the most talented squads in the NFL.

We have our own issue. We seem to follow a trend every single year that sees us desperately racking up points at the end of the season trying to make the playoffs.

Stugots 02-12-2011 12:16 PM

No because the Giants don't build their team around free agent signings; all of their pro bowl/star players aside from Antrel Rolle- Tuck, Osi, Snee, Eli, Nicks, Smith, Bradshaw- are their own draft picks.

BlueshirtBlitz 02-12-2011 12:19 PM

Short answer- no.

Long answer- I wish. :cry:

ruckus* 02-12-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY (Post 30858860)
The Giants won a super bowl 4 years ago. They have one of the most talented squads in the NFL.

We have our own issue. We seem to follow a trend every single year that sees us desperately racking up points at the end of the season trying to make the playoffs.

Which is why I disagree with the OP that we back peddle into the playoffs. We went 8-2-1 down the stretch in 06-07. We went 15-5-5 in the last 25 games in 07-08. 11-6-2 in 08-09 with Torts at the helm after replacing Renney. 7-1-2 last year but it was too late.

This is nothing like the Giants. We play well at the end of the season. This just happens to be our first real slump on the year, and people forget there's 25 games left still.

McDonaghisGod 02-12-2011 12:53 PM

The Giants actually win titles.

Blueshirt Special 02-12-2011 01:01 PM

Are we the NY Giants of hockey?

Uh no, we are the New York @$$^**% Mets of hockey.

Ryan McDonut 02-12-2011 02:41 PM

we usually start off well then at some point in the middle of the season we play like **** then always have to scramble for a playoff spot. if only we played well the ENTIRE season

BroadwayBlues 02-12-2011 03:19 PM

I wish they were the Yankees of hockey.

gravytrain6t 02-12-2011 03:36 PM

Much more like the Mets of Baseball imo. It seems like both organizations are > satisfied riding on the coattails of that one big glory year (86', 94'). Just like the Yankees.:sarcasm:
At least (nearly 20 yrs later) the Rangers have figured out that there is only one Mark Messier and none of the high profile big name players who came later were capable of doing what he did (with a team already a "shoe in" for the playoffs). Not even Gretzky.

irishlaxburger2 02-12-2011 03:46 PM

I'd say we're the opposite of the Giants.

- Torts has taken an average at best roster and has gotten as much as he can out of them. Coughlin takes a pretty damn good roster and finds way to not make the playoffs.

- The most important position in football is QB. The Giants have an average (terrible this year) QB in Manning who happens to have a Championship. The most important position in hockey is Goalie. The Rangers have an awesome goalie who hasn't won any titles.

- The Giants roster is littered with talent outside of the QB position. The Rangers roster is entirely sub par outside of the Goalie position.

Machinehead 02-12-2011 04:24 PM

I could see the comparison most years, but let's not forget that the Giants have laid claim to probably the greatest victory in football history. The Rangers have never given us anything quite like SB42, not even '94. Then again, no team has really done anything like that, outside of the 1980 US hockey team. I also think the Giants are closer right now than the Rangers. The Rangers got another 2-3 years yet. If Eli works on his interceptions and keeps his other numbers intact, which were actually very good, the Giants could be a 12 win team. Eli is going to make mistakes, but not that many. I expect a bounce-back year.

SomebodySaveKreider 02-12-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishlaxburger2 (Post 30864712)
I'd say we're the opposite of the Giants.

- Torts has taken an average at best roster and has gotten as much as he can out of them. Coughlin takes a pretty damn good roster and finds way to not make the playoffs.

- The most important position in football is QB. The Giants have an average (terrible this year) QB in Manning who happens to have a Championship. The most important position in hockey is Goalie. The Rangers have an awesome goalie who hasn't won any titles.

- The Giants roster is littered with talent outside of the QB position. The Rangers roster is entirely sub par outside of the Goalie position.

He had a bad year, but he's still pretty damn talented. Consistency is his issue.

Anyways, as others have said, the Mets, except the Rangers have better prospects.

Machinehead 02-12-2011 06:01 PM

If anything I'd say the Rangers are most like the Knicks. Two franchises that never win, that are retooling with youth, built around concentrated superstar talent, which in the Knick's case is Amar'e, and in the Ranger's case is Lundqvist. The concentration of talent is to a lesser extent on the Rangers, and it is afterall a bigger team with 19 regulars vs 8 or 9 regulars, but I see a similarity.

Tawnos 02-12-2011 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolbean04 (Post 30858679)
Just like the Giants, I feel like we get off to such a great start and then fizzle down as the season comes to an end. Except Avery's first year, why does it seem like we're back peddling into the playoffs?

Are you paying attention?

The Rangers started off the season okay and had a mediocre October. They had a very good November and a great December. They followed that up with a poor January and now February.

The details may be slight off, but since 06-07, every Rangers team has had a great October, mediocre November, terrible December, mediocre January, very good February and great March/April. In 05-06, it was a great October-January and a horrible post-Olympic February-April. That was the only year we back-pedalled into the playoffs.

This season in no way resembles past ones. I like the fact that the team peaked in December, because it gives me more hope that, provided they right the ship here (no guarantees on that), they'll end up peaking again in April and maybe win a round.