HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Scott Gomez (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=877547)

canadianeh 02-14-2011 01:35 PM

Scott Gomez

Before I'm laughed off the boards completely, let me explain a little.

Many Habs fans are starting to support the idea of Gomez getting the Souray/Redden treatment at this point. But you need to go through the progression first.

I won't even begin to try to justify his contract. It's more than obvious that it's a horrible deal. But there is some things worth noting:

Gomez is still a descent C and can still pass. He's a likeable locker room guy who provides leadership, and he's also still only 30 believe it or not.

His cap number is 7.357, which immediately rules out any teams with cap space problems. But in terms of real money the final 3 years of the deal (after this season) are 7.5mil, 5.5mil and 4.5mil. Which in terms of actual money might be a possibility for some of the teams who operate closer to the cap floor.

SO the big questions:

1- Do you offer anything for him in a trade? (a bad deal of your own might be included, but not of more years/higher cap#)

2- Would you claim him off Waivers? (so you get him for nothing before anyone else gets a shot)

3- Would you take him on re-entry waivers? (so Montreal is on the hook for some of the cash, but you also risk a team ahead of you getting him first if there is any others interested)

I suspect he would have to be bought out (unlikely) or sent to the minors. But i just wondered if anyone thinks a team might look at him under any of those scenarios.

Tim Vezina Thomas 02-14-2011 01:37 PM

Ehhh, I'm trying to humor your thread, but I cant legitimately see us trading anything for Gomez. We dont have any bad contracts (potentially Savards, but that remains to be seen).

Gonna have to pass.

Dylbot 02-14-2011 01:39 PM

I suppose teams struggling to get to the cap floor might have an interest. Any teams interested in being a contender in the next few years won't have any interest in Gomez whatsoever.

Other than for cap reasons, the Habs would have to bribe a team with a pick or prospect to get it done.

Amputechture 02-14-2011 01:42 PM

Honestly, with the way that he has played all season, his constant consistency issues, and his real lack of imagination on the ice, I honestly do not see any team that would make a trade for him. His contract is so over the top ridiculous that I believe the only option to rid it is to send him to the AHL. I just don't see how or why any other team in the league would take him.

Dylbot 02-14-2011 01:43 PM

Hey! I just had a thought.

To MTL: Horcoff, 2nd round pick

To Edm: Gomez

Habs save money in the short term while they've got a veteran core and are a playoff team. Edmonton saves money in the long run, so that 4 and 5 years down the road they can better afford Hall, Eberle etc. contracts.

Thoughts?

Edit: Ok, so Horcoff's contract is only 1 year longer. So then the Habs throw in a second.

Savynquick* 02-14-2011 01:45 PM

Swap him for Souray ;)

The Rochester Rocket 02-14-2011 01:45 PM

Don't know if the NJ fans would really welcome him back, but there is a need for a second line center and he did play his best years there. That being said how about something around Rolston and Clarkson for Gomez?
Kovy-Zajac-Zubrus/Palmieri
Parise-Gomez-Elias
Tedenby-Josefson-Zubrus/Palmieri

Looks pretty damn good.

subbanged 02-14-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylbot (Post 30912736)
Hey! I just had a thought.

To MTL: Horcoff

To Edm: Gomez

Habs save money in the short term while they've got a veteran core and are a playoff team. Edmonton saves money in the long run, so that 4 and 5 years down the road they can better afford Hall, Eberle etc. contracts.

Thoughts?

we still need to keep Subban and price, In all likely hood he's gonna be sent to the AHL if he doesn't pick it up once cap becomes a problem just like huet

canadianeh 02-14-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amputechture (Post 30912717)
Honestly, with the way that he has played all season, his constant consistency issues, and his real lack of imagination on the ice, I honestly do not see any team that would make a trade for him. His contract is so over the top ridiculous that I believe the only option to rid it is to send him to the AHL. I just don't see how or why any other team in the league would take him.

Any team needing:
a) a playmaking centre
b) leadership
c) penalty killing

and has a lot of cap space but less cash MIGHT consider him on re-entry waivers. BUT, i suspect as you do that they would not.

TOGuy14 02-14-2011 01:47 PM

If you wanted to trade Gomez you would have to give up a draft pick or prospect with him and take a less terrible contract in return.

Value of prospect /pick would be determined by how much less terrible the contract is.

Don't think that Tampa would even give you Lecavalier with his worse contract. At least he is somewhat productive...

canadianeh 02-14-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rochester Rocket (Post 30912803)
Don't know if the NJ fans would really welcome him back, but there is a need for a second line center and he did play his best years there. That being said how about something around Rolston and Clarkson for Gomez?
Kovy-Zajac-Zubrus/Palmieri
Parise-Gomez-Elias
Tedenby-Josefson-Zubrus/Palmieri

Looks pretty damn good.

I'd consider that. I think Clarkson could be a useful player for MTL, even though he's overpaid, and Rolston might be a buy-out candidate after this season.

SeenSchenn2 02-14-2011 01:51 PM

Q for Hab fans:

Would the MTL organization consider sending him down or nah?

canadianeh 02-14-2011 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOGuy14 (Post 30912824)
If you wanted to trade Gomez you would have to give up a draft pick or prospect with him and take a less terrible contract in return.

Value of prospect /pick would be determined by how much less terrible the contract is.

Don't think that Tampa would even give you Lecavalier with his worse contract. At least he is somewhat productive...

No... it's morel likely he'd be the next captain of the Hamilton Bulldogs than paying someone to take him.

NYR Viper 02-14-2011 01:52 PM

There were rumors at one time, I believe, that Columbus was somewhat interested in Gomez. I would have to think there would be salary going back though. Maybe something like:

Commodore + another bad contract

for

Gomez + Weber

I would think that would be the type of deal you will be looking at.

Maybe a 3 team deal where Columbus acquires another "bad" contract where they also get some assets who is flipped along with Commodore?

To CLB:
Jason Blake + 2nd '11

To ANA:
5th '11

To Montreal:
Commodore + Blake

To CLB:
Gomez + Weber

Montreal sends Commodore down to the AHL and saves 3+ million next season and saves 7+ the 2 seasons after. Columbus gets a 1B center with playoff experience while adding depth to their prospect list in the 2nd rounder and Weber and rids themselves of Commodore.

HappyGilmourr 02-14-2011 01:53 PM

Maybe max pacrioety and Scott Gomez to Florida for a 4th...then florid trades Weiss for a good prospect. Then Florida who is a rebuilding team who won't spend to the cap anyways gets two good prospects to downgrade from Weiss to Gomez.

canadianeh 02-14-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 (Post 30912932)
Q for Hab fans:

Would the MTL organization consider sending him down or nah?

I believe if the trend continues they would. It's been done enough times now that it's on the radar. Lately he's been dropped to the 3rd line and also been benched at times.

I think the patience is wearing out. The next step is the pressbox, and then I think it's a real consideration.

Though Jacques Martin is definitely the kind go guy who would hesitate to do that to a veteran. (though it's not totally JM's call obviously)

canadianeh 02-14-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozak (Post 30912980)
Maybe max pacrioety and Scott Gomez to Florida for a 4th...then florid trades Weiss for a good prospect. Then Florida who is a rebuilding team who won't spend to the cap anyways gets two good prospects to downgrade from Weiss to Gomez.

Again... the Habs WILL NOT give up top talent to get rid of him. They can afford to pay him to play in Hamilton.

canadianeh 02-14-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 (Post 30912970)
There were rumors at one time, I believe, that Columbus was somewhat interested in Gomez. I would have to think there would be salary going back though. Maybe something like:

for

Gomez + Weber

Maybe a 3 team deal where Columbus acquires another "bad" contract where they also get some assets who is flipped along with Commodore?

To CLB:
Jason Blake + 2nd '11

To ANA:
5th '11

To Montreal:
Commodore + Blake

To CLB:
Gomez + Weber

Montreal sends Commodore down to the AHL and saves 3+ million next season and saves 7+ the 2 seasons after. Columbus gets a 1B center with playoff experience while adding depth to their prospect list in the 2nd rounder and Weber and rids themselves of Commodore.

Not sure about the part where montreal parts with a good prospect as well, but would CLB be interested in moving Huselius's contract along with Commodores?

Wondercarrot 02-14-2011 02:04 PM

Send Ottawa your 1st rounder this year or next year and we'll take him and wont ask you to take any salary back.

silverfish 02-14-2011 02:15 PM

Rangers need a #1 C to play with Gaborik

:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

habs03 02-14-2011 02:24 PM

Someone asked if MTL would send him down to the AHL, it's very very unlikely, as bad as his play has been, he liked in the locker room, and it would send a bad msg to guys like Gionta and Cammy if he was sent down to the AHL. Another problem with getting rid of Gomez is finding a replacement, one of the reasons why we traded for him was that he couldn't get someone else. So unless P.G. can get someone he won't trade Gomez or even think of sending him to the AHL. And as bad as his contract is, he still has some vaule, think of the teams that are waiting for Brad Richards this summer, lets say he resigns with the Stars, the Kings,Rangers,Leafs,Sabres, are all going to be looking for a Center. Not that those teams would want Gomez but decent centers are becoming harder and harder to find. I really think Gomez can still produce but he needs elite talent, he isn't good enough to make his linemates better, image the Rangers were able to get rid of the Drury contract and keep Gomez, Gomez and Gaborik would amazing imo. Another thing I know he is full of bs but Eklund had Gomez to the Coyotes, this is not going to happen but it would make perfect sense maybe in a year or two if MTL can find a top 2 center to replace Gomez, PHX would get a center for their young team, they salary cap higher yet paying Gomez 4.5, 3.5, just like they are doing with Rozsival.

King Woodballs 02-14-2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wondercarrot (Post 30913276)
Send Ottawa your 1st rounder this year or next year and we'll take him and wont ask you to take any salary back.

Ottawa needs a top 5 picks not a 30th overall pick :sarcasm:

WestIslander 02-14-2011 03:25 PM

You guy's are not getting the whole story from canadianeh in his thread, the actual idea of Gomez being sent down a la Souray and Redden was proposed by the one and only Pierre McGuire on the Team 990.

Gomez is not going anywhere, he will not be sent down, bought out or traded, we are doomed with his contract for another few seasons and can only wish Desharnais, Leblanc and Eller pan out in the next few years.

Viqsi 02-14-2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 (Post 30912970)

for

Gomez + Weber

To CLB:
Jason Blake + 2nd '11

To ANA:
5th '11

To Montreal:
Commodore + Blake

To CLB:
Gomez + Weber

Wouldn't work. We already have two top-6 centers (three if you count Umberger, tho he's better at and thus more commonly plays on the wing), and Weber isn't a strong enough piece to take on another not-quite-bona-fide-#1C at all, let alone one with that godawful contract.

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianeh (Post 30913127)
Not sure about the part where montreal parts with a good prospect as well, but would CLB be interested in moving Huselius's contract along with Commodores?

Huselius's contract is movable, but not in a deal like this. He does provide scoring, despite his streakiness, and so we'd need something valuable coming back.

I'd be tempted to suggest Kostitsyn (even though that's not fair value, points-wise) only because I continue to be amused by the idea of a brother-versus-brother matchup with Nashville. I'm not sure who would really qualify. The only D prospect y'all have that we'd happily take is the one y'all would (rightfully) absolutely never trade in such a deal.

JimEIV 02-14-2011 03:39 PM

He would be extremely attractive on reentry waivers. Other than that I would image that contact is going to be pretty tough to move.