HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   How would you feel if Brown was traded? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=877703)

Kingjordan 02-14-2011 05:48 PM

How would you feel if Brown was traded?

How would you feel if Dustin Brown was traded???

I know what we get for a return is what counts but would you be OK with trading Brown if it involved getting a true #1 winger like a Nash or Parise??? (I know it would be Brown +)

As much as I love Brown he is way too up and down..

He is young, our captain, does so much for LA but how would you feel if he was traded?

Live in the Now 02-14-2011 06:02 PM

I'd hate it. The players teams covet most are those who hit and put up points. He's not putting up points at the moment but if we traded that cushy contract we'd regret it for a long time. Think we're going to find a top six winger who's better than him and for less money than he makes? No. Trading him for another top six winger wouldn't solve our problems, it would do exactly what we don't need to do, create another hole in our top six. The mere thought of trading him is short-sighted IMO.

Knight of the Realm 02-14-2011 06:11 PM

I used to be a supporter but not anymore. I think he lacks in the hockey IQ department and that he kills more chances than he creates.

That being said, Brown will not be moved due to his contract and so called Kings tattoo.

Hope he finds a consistent game and the back of the net more often in the next couple of months.

TonySCV 02-14-2011 06:16 PM

It all depends on who is coming the other way. For the right return, fine. Brown's a good 2nd liner, a great 3rd liner and he's got a bargain contract. It'd be quite a hole to fill if the Kings lost Brown's services.

IIRC, Brown is one of 4 remaining Kings players left over from the Taylor era.

Players come and go. Don't get married to players.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm (Post 30920380)
I used to be a supporter but not anymore.

I don't get this line of thinking at all. He's a King, so he has my support. End of story.

I get frustrated with Brown at times but at the end of the day, I support every player in a King uniform (even Westgarth, as painful as that is). At least Brown is trying. He plays hard. The skill set is lacking, but that's magnified because he was on the wrong line FOR-EVER. He's much more effective in a 2nd or 3rd line role.

ru4reals 02-14-2011 06:19 PM

No matter how frustrating he can be at times, I probably won't trade him unless I get a package I just can't refuse. The only thing I would do is get that "C" off his sweater. He played better when there was no pressure to lead a team.

Ziggy Stardust 02-14-2011 06:27 PM

If he gets a favorable return, then I'm all for it. I don't think he's going to get any better at this point in his career. If you can pull off a trade like when the Kings dealt a very popular player in Bernie Nicholls away to NY for Tomas Sandstrom and Tony Granato, then I'm all for it.

For example, if they could get David Backes and either David Perron or Patrik Berglund for Dustin Brown. Of course, the Blues would never make such an offer. It would have to be a trade that really improves the Kings right now and for the foreseeable future, otherwise, it isn't worthwhile to trade Brown.

Shellz 02-14-2011 06:28 PM

Depends what player comes back but I would have to rethink about being a fan of this organization

ru4reals 02-14-2011 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust (Post 30920964)
If he gets a favorable return, then I'm all for it. I don't think he's going to get any better at this point in his career. If you can pull off a trade like when the Kings dealt a very popular player in Bernie Nicholls away to NY for Tomas Sandstrom and Tony Granato, then I'm all for it.

For example, if they could get David Backes and either David Perron or Patrik Berglund for Dustin Brown. Of course, the Blues would never make such an offer. It would have to be a trade that really improves the Kings right now and for the foreseeable future, otherwise, it isn't worthwhile to trade Brown.

I'd take Backes for Brown but St. Louis probably won't do that.

The Tikkanen 02-14-2011 06:39 PM

There is one telling stat when it comes to Dustin Brown:31 games played, 14 goals, 18 assists, 32 points, plus 25, 17.1 shooting percentage in games won by the Kings. 25 games played, 4 goals, 3 assists, 7 points (yikes), minus 9 and a 6.1 shooting percentage in games lost by the Kings. When Dustin Brown dissapears the Kings lose. That said he is 26 years old and has a home town discount contract. I don't think he'll be moved. When the Kings win I like him on the team, when the Kings lose I usually hate his guts and want him gone.

Shellz 02-14-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4reals (Post 30921121)
I'd take Backes for Brown but St. Louis probably won't do that.

I wouldn't even do that. What a silly deal.

FrozenKing18 02-14-2011 06:41 PM

I would hate it. :(

That "C" on his sweater is bringing him down.

Knight of the Realm 02-14-2011 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonySCV (Post 30920571)
It all depends on who is coming the other way. For the right return, fine. Brown's a good 2nd liner, a great 3rd liner and he's got a bargain contract. It'd be quite a hole to fill if the Kings lost Brown's services.

IIRC, Brown is one of 4 remaining Kings players left over from the Taylor era.

Players come and go. Don't get married to players.

I don't get this line of thinking at all. He's a King, so he has my support. End of story.

I get frustrated with Brown at times but at the end of the day, I support every player in a King uniform (even Westgarth, as painful as that is). At least Brown is trying. He plays hard. The skill set is lacking, but that's magnified because he was on the wrong line FOR-EVER. He's much more effective in a 2nd or 3rd line role.

I will always support the Kings as a whole, even Brown from game to game, but that doesn't mean I will let my passion blind me to his faults. I am tired of constantly yelling at the tv when he makes plays that directly result in a blown offensive opportunity, which happens more often than not. Bury him on the third line and let him ply his trade. He will never be more than a 2cd/3rd line tweener. IF he was traded, all I'm saying is I wouldn't shed a tear. If he can be moved for a more skilled offensive threat, I think LA's chances would be even better. IF we can add that player and keep Brown, so be it. Right now, he has too big of a role for what he brings. Give me a choice between Gaborik or Brown on pure hockey ability, I'd always take Gabby. LA has Clifford and Simmonds who can take care of just as much physicality as Brown. Brown is overrated but at least he's cheap.

Cutty Sarkn3ss* 02-14-2011 07:27 PM

Depends on the return

JT Dutch* 02-14-2011 07:33 PM

... I'd be very disappointed to see Brown leave the Kings. While I think that, at the time, Brown was chosen as Captain pretty much by default, I do think he's growing into the role year by year.

As a player, I think that if people just learned to accept that Brown is who he is, and not expect him to be an elite power forward, they would find his scoring droughts a lot easier to deal with.

He's going through a tough time right now, but the team is winning. That's the definition of a team - guys picking up other guys. Brown will get going again soon. He'll get back to basics, and find some of the bounces going his way again. I'm not worried about him at all.

Duc620 02-14-2011 07:44 PM

Teams trade captains like they get rid of coaches - when "the room stops listening" or "we want to move in another direction".

You only have to watch how tight Brown and Kopitar are on the bench or the ice to realize those two are running this team. That's exactly what DL wanted. I don't see the value of changing direction, screwing with the heads of younger players, three or four years into this plan.
Some of these guys have been introduced to the NHL by this captain, their captain. That means something. And I'm ok with that.

Lombardi is building a franchise. Not just putting teams together like Murray does lines.

Telos 02-14-2011 07:46 PM

Depends on the return, but likely very pissed off. Fans know nothing about him in the locker room, he is well liked, signed a long loyalty deal, and is one of the best second line wingers in the despite what some people think.

William H Bonney 02-14-2011 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT Dutch (Post 30923121)
... I'd be very disappointed to see Brown leave the Kings. While I think that, at the time, Brown was chosen as Captain pretty much by default, I do think he's growing into the role year by year.

As a player, I think that if people just learned to accept that Brown is who he is, and not expect him to be an elite power forward, they would find his scoring droughts a lot easier to deal with.

He's going through a tough time right now, but the team is winning. That's the definition of a team - guys picking up other guys. Brown will get going again soon. He'll get back to basics, and find some of the bounces going his way again. I'm not worried about him at all.

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

Hypothetically, I'm not against trading anyone. So if Brown was the main piece to a trade for a Parise or Nash I'd be fine with it. But if it was more of a lateral move, say for a David Backes, I don't see the point even though I think Backes is the better player. Trading Brown wouldn't be a popular move in the locker room and must be factored in to any move. Bringing back a guy like Parise could overcome that downside but anything less than an elite player and it wouldn't make sense.

I just hope Brown goes back to simplifying his game and goes back to the bulldog mentality he used to bring consistently. I think it will take both Lombardi and Murray talking to him about it though because contrary to a common opinion, the leadership starts there and not with the captain and Brown, as he should, follows their lead and does what he's told. He'll always be a somewhat frustrating offensively but with the simplification he'll find more consistency.

Reaper45 02-14-2011 07:56 PM

I'd be done. I'm not married to any one player but it'd go against everything the Kings are trying to build.

Knight of the Realm 02-14-2011 08:06 PM

My biggest issue that I see with Brown is not a lack of scoring chances, hustle, or that he is well loved, my issue is how often he eats a play. He is like a black hole. Maybe its magnified because of playing with Kopitar, but the guy makes so many boneheaded decisions that just kill momentum. I want to see Brown thrive for LA but after watching him since he was a teenager I don't see him being any more than he is now. He has some tools and granted you cannot build a team of snipers alone but I just think he is pedestrian. He seems to be a faithful soldier and I do respect his discount in a day-and-age of Kovalchuks, but I don't see him as a huge cog to this team but that's just me and I understand where people disagree. In those moments of zen he can be effective but....lets hope he breaks out soon.

It's all moot anyway because the guy is going to be a king for a long time.

redcard 02-14-2011 08:21 PM

If Brown's a third liner, than the league needs to be reduced by about 15-20 teams.

Kurrilino 02-14-2011 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingjordan (Post 30919508)
How would you feel if Dustin Brown was traded???

I know what we get for a return is what counts but would you be OK with trading Brown if it involved getting a true #1 winger like a Nash or Parise??? (I know it would be Brown +)

As much as I love Brown he is way too up and down..
He is young, our captain, does so much for LA but how would you feel if he was traded?

Give him a fast skileld center and he will be up.
He always rocks with Richardson as linemates. Why anyone isn't using this combo
is way beyond me.
He is the prototype of a wrong player for Murrays system.

sweatypickle 02-14-2011 08:25 PM

that it was the necessary move...

RonSwanson* 02-14-2011 08:25 PM

He's a good player that is worth more to the Kings than to any other team.

It's not Brown's fault that the coach wants to play him on the 1st line.

Zad 02-14-2011 09:12 PM

Trading your captain has a fallout associated with it far beyond the return. Do playoff, contending or upward moving teams trade their captain? Doubtful. I ask for examples if anyone has them. Rebuilding teams? Sure. Teams falling apart? Yup. Matty Norstrom anyone?

I want to see Brownie lift the Cup at center ice and pass it to Kopitar.

Belanger25 02-14-2011 09:19 PM

While Dustin Brown gives me all sorts of fits, I don't think you trade him unless the perfect deal comes up.