HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Nashville/San Jose (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=878103)

Jesus Toews* 02-15-2011 01:50 PM

Nashville/San Jose

To NSH:
SJ 1st 2011
Dany Heatley
Marc-Edouard Vlasic

To SJ:
Cody Franson
Sergei Kostitsyn

Is that fair? I considered putting in Hornqvist instead of SK but I feel like that will just get me laughed at by Preds fans. And before anyone says so--Heatley's NMC was voided when he was dealt to the Sharks so there wouldn't be a problem of him waiving it.

Soundgarden 02-15-2011 01:53 PM

Kostitsyn's second on the team in goals and points and is making 550K. No Deal, though the first and Vlasic makes it interesting I still say no just because of Kostitsyn.

Jesus Toews* 02-15-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundgarden (Post 30941035)
Kostitsyn's second on the team in goals and points and is making 550K. No Deal, though the first and Vlasic makes it interesting I still say no just because of Kostitsyn.

Swap someone other than him in then, I'm flexible on that. I'm guessing Hornqvist is a non-starter? Franson is the main enticing piece.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* 02-15-2011 01:56 PM

Watch out people... this will get ugly, fast. The Sharks get gangbanged in this deal, it's not even funny.

Kid Canesten 02-15-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY (Post 30941115)
Watch out people... this will get ugly, fast. The Sharks get gangbanged in this deal, it's not even funny.

you seem to forget that the sharks are clearing ALL of heatley's cap. that's a huge piece for san jose. imo its a fair deal.

franson for healtley: one team gets the defenseman they need, the other one gets an offesive player they need.

sk for vlasic: secondary offensive player for secondary defensive player

heatley's cap for sj's first: in exchange for taking heatley's massive contract, sj gives their first.

ThirdManIn 02-15-2011 02:01 PM

As Soungarden said, SK is on a HUGE bargain of a contract and is producing for us. Not only that, but Franson only makes $800k next season whereas Heatley makes $8mil (cap hit $7.5). We have Weber to worry about this off season, and then Suter + Rinne next. All three will be looking at decent raises (Weber 2-3mil, Suter 2-3mil, Rinne 1.5-2 would be my guess).

All of this is based on my assumption that our owner's will be looking for full revenue sharing for at least this season and next (cannot receiver FRS if you exceed the midpoint between the cap floor and ceiling). Who knows what will happen with the huge boost in interest and attendance throughout the season so far.

Tkachuk4MVP 02-15-2011 02:01 PM

This proposal is so horrible that it may make Puck Daddy's column.

sjshark91 02-15-2011 02:02 PM

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/me...0bf6b9a212.gif

Jesus Toews* 02-15-2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

First of all, I'm a Sharks fan.

Heatley has always been a terrible fit and his acquisition is singlehandedly the worst deal Doug Wilson has made and likely shut our window for good. If he hadn't pulled the trigger, we would still have Michalek and Ehrhoff (given Cheechoo was waived). The Sharks main issues are a lack of speed up front and mobile, two-way defensemen on the back end. This deal would solve both issues and free up cap space. Again, if the Predators don't want to part with Kostitsyn, I'd love to add Hornqvist to the team but I'm guessing the Predators won't want to give up on him.

I tried to look at Nashville's needs as well and there's a good chance Heatley could be that game-breaker they need to add, although he might not be fast enough for Trotz's liking. Financially it shouldn't be a big deal because Heatley's contract was front-loaded so the dollars won't match the cap hit ever again on his deal.

Jesus Toews* 02-15-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP (Post 30941258)
This proposal is so horrible that it may make Puck Daddy's column.

Honestly? Do you seriously think Heatley has positive value anymore? Or that the Sharks should keep him for the next three seasons?

Sharks4Life 02-15-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turnstyles (Post 30941364)

Heatley has always been a terrible fit and his acquisition is singlehandedly the worst deal Doug Wilson has made and likely shut our window for good. If he hadn't pulled the trigger, we would still have Michalek and Ehrhoff (given Cheechoo was waived). The Sharks main issues are a lack of speed up front and mobile, two-way defensemen on the back end. This deal would solve both issues and free up cap space. Again, if the Predators don't want to part with Kostitsyn, I'd love to add Hornqvist to the team but I'm guessing the Predators won't want to give up on him.

I tried to look at Nashville's needs as well and there's a good chance Heatley could be that game-breaker they need to add, although he might not be fast enough for Trotz's liking. Financially it shouldn't be a big deal because Heatley's contract was front-loaded so the dollars won't match the cap hit ever again on his deal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turnstyles (Post 30941393)
Honestly? Do you seriously think Heatley has positive value anymore? Or that the Sharks should keep him for the next three seasons?

i call bs on you being a sharks fan...first off it is well known that loosing ehrhoff had nothing to do with heatley and everything to do with blake.....second off if you were a fan you would know that we can't afford to loose a top 4 d for a top 4 d as we need more defense not a side move....third off you are flat out wrong about dollar figures, as heatley is owed 8 mil next year which is above his cap hit so clearly you spoke before you did any research....i agree we need to fix our teams issues, but making trades where we bend over and take it to not get any better is dumb. /thread please.

NewEraGM 02-15-2011 02:20 PM

How to Preds say no to this. I have seen Sergei play alot as I am from MTL and I personally guarantee you that his play will not last. We have seen it time and time again....

Jesus Toews* 02-15-2011 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharks4Life (Post 30941587)
i call bs on you being a sharks fan...first off it is well known that loosing ehrhoff had nothing to do with heatley and everything to do with blake.....second off if you were a fan you would know that we can't afford to loose a top 4 d for a top 4 d as we need more defense not a side move....third off you are flat out wrong about dollar figures, as heatley is owed 8 mil next year which is above his cap hit so clearly you spoke before you did any research....i agree we need to fix our teams issues, but making trades where we bend over and take it to not get any better is dumb. /thread please.

:facepalm:

You didn't read my post closely enough. If they had waived Cheechoo they would have been able to fit in both Michalek and Ehrhoff in addition to Blake's contract. The Sharks' main problem is their lack of mobility from the blueline and Vlasic brings none of that. Franson is a long-term solution as a two-way d-man who excels on both sides of the puck.

Crazy Joe Divola 02-15-2011 02:24 PM

Wow. That is pretty terrible.

The Sharks leading scorer and one of their best young d-men along with a 1st for Franson and f'ing Kostitsyn?

:amazed:

YZ77 02-15-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turnstyles (Post 30941364)

The more it seems that the Sens did win the trade! **** Heatley.

Jesus Toews* 02-15-2011 02:26 PM

So is Hornqvist instead of Kostitsyn doable? I thought it would get laughed at but apparently this isn't fair value.

I'm beginning to think most of you laughing at this proposal haven't seen either Heatley or Vlasic play this year...

Crazy Joe Divola 02-15-2011 02:26 PM

I guess losing Heatley's cap hit would allow DW to use the money more wisely and give Wallin another raise and lock him up long term. :sarcasm:

DG 02-15-2011 02:27 PM

Ew, would not do this if I were Nashville.

predfan24 02-15-2011 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewEraGM (Post 30941729)
How to Preds say no to this. I have seen Sergei play alot as I am from MTL and I personally guarantee you that his play will not last. We have seen it time and time again....

Because there is zero percent chance they can take on Heatly's contract.

SpezDispenser 02-15-2011 02:29 PM

Quote:

In one swoop the Sharks clear 7.5 million dollars in cap space and can add the depth needed to take a run at a Cup. That's not getting 'gangbanged', that's realizing you made a mistake and trying to fix it.

triggrman 02-15-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Face it man, he's a better fit in the Nashville system, he's already surpased his career numbers, even after scoring only 2 points in his first 20 games. He didn't fit in Montreal, he fits in Nashville.

hockeyball 02-15-2011 02:39 PM

I think the deal is a little lopsided. Heatley still leads the Sharks in Points (yes, he has more points that JT) and Vlasic is still our best defensive defensemen (and is finally playing physical hockey). Plus our 1st? Franson is not that good yet, and SK is playing well but is still just as likely to revert to previous issues.

Still, to get rid of Heatley's contract I'd consider it. (It's not so much that he's overpaid, he is a bit, but that we can't afford so many big contracts in general)

Jesus Toews* 02-15-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyball (Post 30942139)
I think the deal is a little lopsided. Heatley still leads the Sharks in Points (yes, he has more points that JT) and Vlasic is still our best defensive defensemen (and is finally playing physical hockey). Plus our 1st? Franson is not that good yet, and SK is playing well but is still just as likely to revert to previous issues.

Still, to get rid of Heatley's contract I'd consider it. (It's not so much that he's overpaid, he is a bit, but that we can't afford so many big contracts in general)

Would you do it if it was Hornqvist instead?

Franson is really good and would instantly become the best two-way defenseman in the organization. There are a lot of offense-first puck movers coming up on the farm (Braun, Irwin, Schaus) but the only two-way guys in Petrecki and Doherty seem to have somewhat stalled in their development. Franson can immediately anchor a second defensive pairing with an off-season acquisition like Hejda or Greene and allow Demers and one of Braun/Irwin/Schaus to be sheltered a bit on the third pairing.

barrytrotzsneck 02-15-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

"I personally guarantee that SK will not report to Nashville, and instead will bolt to the KHL!!! HE'S A CANCER!"

"I personally guarantee that SK will draw the ire of teammates and coaches and get demoted. He won't report, and will bolt to the KHL. HE'S A CANCER!"

"I personally guarantee that SK's work ethic, the way he's impressed Trotz and his positive attitude will not last. HE'S A CANCER!"

"I personally guarantee that though SK is your leading scorer, HE'S A CANCER!"

Dude, seriously. Get over it. Maybe, just maybe, there were two sides to the Sergei situation in Montreal, and maybe he wasn't entirely to blame? He's been a model citizen in Nashville, he's practically a team mascot, his teammates love him so much, and to top it all off, he is second on the team in goal scoring and points. I'll take that "cancer" any day. But hey, maybe you can send us some more "cancer" for an AHLer and a UFA goaltender you can't sign. We'd be happy to have his brother, as well.

With all of that said, the value isn't as bad as some are making it out...Heatley's contract takes away from his on-ice value, and makes him a non starter for a team that has two big contracts to hand out over the next two summers to Suter and Weber(not to mention, Rinne, after next season).

stalockrox 02-15-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turnstyles (Post 30942214)
Would you do it if it was Hornqvist instead?

Franson is really good and would instantly become the best two-way defenseman in the organization. There are a lot of offense-first puck movers coming up on the farm (Braun, Irwin, Schaus) but the only two-way guys in Petrecki and Doherty seem to have somewhat stalled in their development. Franson can immediately anchor a second defensive pairing with an off-season acquisition like Hejda or Greene and allow Demers and one of Braun/Irwin/Schaus to be sheltered a bit on the third pairing.

It's a bad deal for both sides...Nashville won't take on that salary and the Sharks give up way too much, including Vlasic who is already a top 4, for a guy who 'should' become a top 4. I know Franson is a good young player but right now it's a sideways move. I guess I'm also not as unhappy w/ Heatley as most.

On top of that, how can you possibly say that Petrecki and Doherty have somewhat stalled in their development? Everything I've read about both of them is that they've made good strides this year - Doherty especially. 19/20 is a bit young to say he's stalled.