HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Blues tell Demitra's agent not to expect qualifying offer (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=88004)

degroat* 06-30-2004 05:19 PM

Blues tell Demitra's agent not to expect qualifying offer

... according to Derrick Goold of the St Louis Post Dispatch. (scroll down)

Irish Blues 06-30-2004 05:24 PM

John Hadley reported the same last night - though the Blues are apparently trying to get Mike Sillinger signed before midnight.

Mildly surprising they'll let Demitra walk, but the Blues will use some of that money to sign at least one scoring winger in UFA.

Rabid Ranger 06-30-2004 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Blues
John Hadley reported the same last night - though the Blues are apparently trying to get Mike Sillinger signed before midnight.

Mildly surprising they'll let Demitra walk, but the Blues will use some of that money to sign at least one scoring winger in UFA.

No doubt someone that will help fulfill Larry Pleau's vision of having the U.S. National Team in St.Louis.....

John Flyers Fan 06-30-2004 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
No doubt someone that will help fulfill Larry Pleau's vision of having the U.S. National Team in St.Louis.....

We'll gladly ship him Amonte or LeClair ... preferably both.

Spaceace 06-30-2004 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan

No thanks;we already have two over-paid,underachievers in Tkachuk & Weight,in the playoffs that is. :banghead:

Colonial Blue 06-30-2004 08:07 PM

Someone is going to get a heckuva player for cheap money since he will not make anything near 6.5 million. Actually, the Blues could use a scorer at a low price, but I doubt he will be back in St. Louis.

Rabid Ranger 06-30-2004 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan

I'd take a flier on Amonte (no pun intended). He'd look nice on Weight's wing. LeClair's just too much of an albatross at his salary and health problems. The guy's at the end of the road.

Rabid Ranger 06-30-2004 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceace
No thanks;we already have two over-paid,underachievers in Tkachuk & Weight,in the playoffs that is. :banghead:

I'd agree that Tkachuk and Weight are overpaid, but they have produced, Tkachuk more so in the regular season, and Weight more so in the playoffs. It's really impossible for them to live up to their contracts, which I blame on Larry Pleau.

Prussian_Blue 06-30-2004 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
I'd take a flier on Amonte (no pun intended). He'd look nice on Weight's wing.

Agreed... but I think the Blues will end up re-signing Demitra fior considerably less than $6.5 million, if the report that they won't qualify him is, in fact, true.

If the Blues don't qualify him, he becomes a free agent... and the Blues can offer him a contract just like anyone else at that point.

I see them going to him with a three-year, $13 million offer. They'll tell him that if he can get more from someone else, they won't stand in his way... but when he finds that no one wants to pay him $6.5 million a year, he's welcome back at the reduced rate.

$4 MM a year is about right for a player for Demitra's caliber.

The bigger question in my mind is, if Demitra does go, what does that do to Tkachuk, who clearly has chemistry with Demitra? And what about Sejna, who chose the Blues over other suitors because of Demitra's presence?

Losing Demitra could have a ripple effect on the rest of the team. That's the only thing that worries me at this point.

:hockey:

Rabid Ranger 06-30-2004 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Weidler
Agreed... but I think the Blues will end up re-signing Demitra fior considerably less than $6.5 million, if the report that they won't qualify him is, in fact, true.

If the Blues don't qualify him, he becomes a free agent... and the Blues can offer him a contract just like anyone else at that point.

I see them going to him with a three-year, $13 million offer. They'll tell him that if he can get more from someone else, they won't stand in his way... but when he finds that no one wants to pay him $6.5 million a year, he's welcome back at the reduced rate.

$4 MM a year is about right for a player for Demitra's caliber.

The bigger question in my mind is, if Demitra does go, what does that do to Tkachuk, who clearly has chemistry with Demitra? And what about Sejna, who chose the Blues over other suitors because of Demitra's presence?

Losing Demitra could have a ripple effect on the rest of the team. That's the only thing that worries me at this point.

Good points. What I think it will come down to is whether Demitra truly wants to stay here, or chase what will likely be more money elsewhere. I'm not as hard on Demitra as other Blues fans, so I would prefer to see him back, at less money. The issue is getting someone in here to play with Weight. That's imperative.

c-carp 06-30-2004 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Blues

Hopefully with that money they can get Hull as well as another player.

guitaraholic* 06-30-2004 08:54 PM

As a Blues fan this news does not bother me in the least. Any team in the NHL that wants to pay Demitra 6 million a year to disappear when the going gets a bit rough can go right ahead. Please, take him. What's the point of a top 6 player that disappears in the playoffs. At least Tkachuk is out there banging bodies, working hard in the corners and in front of the net, even if the stats in the playoffs haven't reflected it. Demitra simply vanishes, plays a perimeter game and refuses to pay the price to win in the NHL playoffs, based on having watched him for the last 6 years or whatever it's been.
Pleau can spend the money more wisely elsewhere. Personally, I hope Demitra ends up in Toronto. I hate Toronto. It'd be a perfect match.

Prussian_Blue 06-30-2004 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitaraholic
As a Blues fan this news does not bother me in the least. Any team in the NHL that wants to pay Demitra 6 million a year to disappear when the going gets a bit rough can go right ahead. Please, take him. What's the point of a top 6 player that disappears in the playoffs. At least Tkachuk is out there banging bodies, working hard in the corners and in front of the net, even if the stats in the playoffs haven't reflected it. Demitra simply vanishes, plays a perimeter game and refuses to pay the price to win in the NHL playoffs, based on having watched him for the last 6 years or whatever it's been.

I understand where you're coming from, GA... but what are your thoughts on the point I brought up about the possibility that Demitra's absence will have an effect on Tkachuk's play also, as well as being a de-motivator for Sejna?

I honestly can't see anyone spending $6 MM a year on Demitra in this market, so what do you think about re-signing him for something in the $4 MM range after he's tested the market and found no takers?

Demitra @ $4 MM + Anson Carter @ $2 MM >>> Demitra @ $6.5 MM... wouldn't you agree?

Quote:

Pleau can spend the money more wisely elsewhere. Personally, I hope Demitra ends up in Toronto. I hate Toronto. It'd be a perfect match.

Hey, now... what's wrong with the Leafs? I've always been kind of a "closet" Leaf fan, myself.

Just because they're Canada's version of the L.A. Lakers... ;)

capman29 06-30-2004 10:10 PM

Quote:

Please tell me when and what NHL hockey team you have ever played for ? Oh I understand you are loyal just like team management is . If I were him, I would sign with detroit and torch your teams but every game. By the way you boss says you are not worth what he pays you and will want you to take a pay cut to the minium wage . On second thought make it 50 cents an hour and you are over paid at that rate.

See how easy it is to blast what a person get paid. You have never had the skill that an NHL player has and hate the fact they get paid big money and you make peanuts. It is a crying shame how petty some people are and how jealous . :joker:

If you could play that game and had the talent to shine what would you play for pennies on the dollar or all you could make? Don't answer we know all player deserve is chump change. You make me sick

Timmer 06-30-2004 10:36 PM

Quote:

Personally, I hope Demitra ends up in Toronto. It'd be a perfect match.

Me too..... :D

topshelf331 06-30-2004 10:49 PM

I seriously hope demitra finds a way to stay. He doesnt deserve the greif alot of blues fans give him.

MU_Beerman 07-01-2004 09:06 AM

Blues have been stagnant and uncreative on offense every time Demitra had been injured over most of his time here, especially the last 3 years. Am I the only one that has noticed this? I think they'll regret not bringing him back.

Irish Blues 07-01-2004 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capman29
blah blah blah....

:help:

Knee-jerk reaction and a flame war in 3.....2......1.......