HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Would you trade Gabby? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=880078)

BrooklynRangersFan 02-19-2011 11:05 AM

Would you trade Gabby?

In a couple of threads discussing the deadline, I've made the point that I'd do just about any deal that helps the team long-term; the one thing I'm against at this juncture is flipping assets for rentals (and by the way, I'm not saying that rentals are always the wrong way to go - I think Boston, for example is doing them at the right time). This is a young team with lots of promise, but it's still missing key pieces. Furthermore, I think most of us recognize that even if we had those pieces, the young core needs to get a little older, more seasoned and stronger before the team could make a serious run at the Cup. Hence, I feel it's inappropriate to pay anything more than like a 4th round pick or 18th ranked prospect simply to marginally improve our chances of reaching the playoffs this year.

In any event, in laying out examples of the deals I WOULD do, I mentioned four possibilities (please don't critique the examples - they're only meant to illustrate the type of trade I'm talking about in each case):
1) trading peripheral players for assets (e.g. Christensen for a 3rd)
2) trading some of our assets for other assets that we think would be a better fit (e.g. Thomas for Burmistrov)
3) trading a bunch of assets for a major addition in his prime (e.g. Grachev, McIlrath, Werek and a 1st for Nash)
4) taking the flip side of option number 3, i.e. trading Gabby for a king's ransom in assets

Originally, I just threw them out there because strategically I believe those are the the appropriate options for a team at this stage of development. I honestly hadn't really considered much more than option 1 as realistic possibilities. But in the wake of the big Col-Stl trade last night, I don't see why they shouldn't all be in play - including option 4.

I continue to support the Gabby signing as the right move at the time. We got a superstar talent in his prime for an appropriate contract. Although he has somewhat underachieved for us this year, he was great for us last year and I fully believe he will return to his 40 goal level (although it may take a full offseason of recovery before he does).

So, to be clear, I'm not posing the question in the title because I'm down on him for his recent play; rather, it's because I'm no longer sure he fits in the team's growth strategy. When we acquired him, my belief was that the goal was to pair him with one or more other premier players via trade or, more likely, free agency. Meanwhile, the Dubi/Cally/Staal/Girardi core would grow up in their shadow. Unfortunately, since then we've seen one after another of the guys that we thought might be available come off the market. Now we're down to JUST Brad Richards - and he is by no means a safe bet. He's amenable to staying in Dallas if they figure out their ownership situation and there's been news of progress on that front recently. You know that at least LA and Toronto will be serious competitors for his services this summer. And, to top it all off, it looks like he just got a concussion.

So, with all that in mind, I ask a simple question that's been popping into my head more and more recently: would you trade Gabby?

I would seriously consider it. He's 2 years older than Girardi, 3 years older than Callahan & Boyle and at least 4 years older than everyone else we consider core players. By the time these guys are all in or approaching their prime, he'll be on the downside of his career. Would it not therefore make sense to trade him to a team whose core is of an age with Gabby and where he could help push them into contention, in exchange for their up and coming stars who could help fill the holes in our roster so that when our core does come of age in about 2-3 years, we're poised for a nice, long window with a shot at the Cup? It's been suggested before, but LA would be the obvious choice - if we could get something like Schenn, Toffoli and Teubert for him, would you do it?

[By the way, when I first suggested the idea that I'd rather trade Gabby than deal meaningful assets for rentals, one or two people made the comment that "well, if that's the case, you might as well trade Lundqvist as well!" First of all, I'm not against trading anyone in the right deal. With that being said, I don't think they're analogous cases - scoring wingers typically start to decline before (sometimes well before) they hit 35, whereas goalies can continue to play at an all-star level to 40 years of age.]

Barbara Underhill 02-19-2011 11:07 AM

Short answer is yes.

BrandNewDream 02-19-2011 11:07 AM

Yes. For the right deal, of course.

SERE 24 02-19-2011 11:09 AM

Yes.

Honestly, if you could get a return like Voracek, Tyutin and a 1st/2nd for Gaborik, why wouldn't you do it? You even save cap for next year.

Beacon 02-19-2011 11:16 AM

BrooklynRanger wrote exactly what I think.

asparkoflife 02-19-2011 11:17 AM

Everyone has their price.

Dorado* 02-19-2011 11:21 AM

I would trade any combo of players on this team and picks for Nash . Who is a player that creates offense on his own without needing a " playmaking center "

bmw2004 02-19-2011 11:21 AM

Yes Yes And Yes

Beacon 02-19-2011 11:30 AM

Gabby for Schenn and #1.
Prospal for #3 and #4.

We already have an extra second rounder from Washington.

The team would have an additional blue-chip prospect and two picks in the first 4 rounds. Even with several of our top prospects graduating, we would have one of the top 2-3 prospect corps in the league.

As some guys who are now in their mid-20s become expensive or age, the 2010 and 2011 draft picks would come of age.

Brendan Shanahan 02-19-2011 11:35 AM

I would have loved to create a package around Stewart.

Stewart, Shattenkirk, Galiardi, and a 1st

for

Gaborik, Gilroy, and Christensen

Zats Muccarello 02-19-2011 11:37 AM

NO! He has a lot of potential that just needs to be unlocked, take Kolvachuk for example, he recently became amazing

SomebodySaveKreider 02-19-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorado (Post 31056954)
I would trade any combo of players on this team and picks for Nash . Who is a player that creates offense on his own without needing a " playmaking center "

Rick Nash would no doubt benefit from a first line center, and will probably be players for Brad Richards this summer. Gaborik played out of his mind last year, but it just creates too much stress on a player physically and mentally.

Teams who win cups are strong up the middle.

Anywho, it would take a good package to get Gabby, and then at that, you have to replace him, which isn't easy when it comes to players like Gaborik. They rarely hit the free agent market.

I just get afraid that if we trade him, and start falling in love with the idea of continuing to draft prospects, that the organization will get into the habit of signing players then trading them and continually be one of those teams who never stop rebuilding.

I'm not sure if that made sense or not.

BrandNewDream 02-19-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander Brolov (Post 31057276)
I would have loved to create a package around Stewart.

Stewart, Shattenkirk, Galiardi, and a 1st

for

Gaborik, Gilroy, and Christensen

Stewart? No way in hell would that be a good return for Gaborik.

Brendan Shanahan 02-19-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandNewDream (Post 31057611)
Stewart? No way in hell would that be a good return for Gaborik.

Really? I think that's completely fair and that 1st rounder will be this years and the Avs will most likely have a top ten pick.

racer90 02-19-2011 12:02 PM

id love to get schenn in a return for gaborik, but why would LA ever do that

jas 02-19-2011 12:09 PM

I'd trade Gaborik only if either a sure-fire #1 center prospect comes back, or a sure-fire top-pairing D-man is in the deal

Blueshirt Special 02-19-2011 12:10 PM

most def.

Especially for a game-breaking center.

never happen

BrooklynRangersFan 02-19-2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Only Bieber (Post 31058025)
id love to get schenn in a return for gaborik, but why would LA ever do that

1) They already have Kopitar, Loktionov and, to a lesser extent guys like Moeller at center.
2) Their primary need is a scoring winger.
3) Gabby is a proven, multi-season 40 goal scorer.
4) Unlike the Rangers, they look like they're primed for a Cup run if they could add one or two key pieces (like a goal scoring winger).
5) As good as he looks right now, Schenn's still just dominating the Dub. It's not even the AHL, much less the NHL - and there's risk his prowess might not translate. Hell, even if Schenn does develop as hoped, he'd have to be a 10 out of 10 in meeting/exceeding expectations to pass the level of player you already know Gabby is.

Lion Hound 02-19-2011 12:14 PM

Nobody is untradeable.

But Gaborik is an elite goalscorer. They are tough to come by. The return better be great, not good...Great!

Beacon 02-19-2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomebodySaveKreider (Post 31057465)
Rick Nash would no doubt benefit from a first line center, and will probably be players for Brad Richards this summer. Gaborik played out of his mind last year, but it just creates too much stress on a player physically and mentally.

Teams who win cups are strong up the middle.

Anywho, it would take a good package to get Gabby, and then at that, you have to replace him, which isn't easy when it comes to players like Gaborik. They rarely hit the free agent market.

I just get afraid that if we trade him, and start falling in love with the idea of continuing to draft prospects, that the organization will get into the habit of signing players then trading them and continually be one of those teams who never stop rebuilding.

I'm not sure if that made sense or not.

As NJ proved by winning a bunch of Stanley Cups, you don't necessarily need a superstar if you have "interchangeable parts."

If you have 9 good second liners, good blueline and a top goalie, you will be a contender.

SlingshotVv 02-19-2011 12:22 PM

His game is so off right now, I don't think you get any real value for him. Any scouts at the game last night saw only one superstar on the ice and he wasn't in medium royal blue, white, and cadmium red.

And Callahan stood out leaps and bounds over Gaborik.

I would move Gabs in a second if we could wind up with a serious prospect right on track developmentally

Stepanformayor* 02-19-2011 12:31 PM

Without question i would trade him. But given his performance/effort this year would any GM be willing to give much in return?
I really don't believe Gabby will ever again have a season like he did last year. I'll even go as far as to say he may never see 30 goals in a season again.
He struggles to make even simple plays this year. His greatest asset used to be his speed, and although still fast, the players today are faster now than when he first came into the Leauge. He's also not very creative. When was the last time you seen Gaborik make a great play?
Sometimes on a hunch you just have to pull the trigger. That's how great teams become great, they have a vision and they make the right move at the right time.
I hope Slats has a hunch..

Ryan McDonut 02-19-2011 12:31 PM

trade him when his values low? sounds good.

Blueblood 2 02-19-2011 12:40 PM

Absolutely!!

BrooklynRangersFan 02-19-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubi17 (Post 31058850)
trade him when his values low? sounds good.

And values are high.

Furthermore, how low do you think his value is? He's having a somewhat down year, true. But he's also scored 3 hat tricks this year, which certainly proves he can still do it. And don't forget that Kovy looked like **** for the first half of the year too.

If you were a team poised on the cusp - and already had a top line center for him to play with - you mean to tell me you wouldn't take a long, hard look at it if you found out Gabby was available? At three years left on his contract, he's pretty much the PERFECT candidate to slot into a situation like that.