HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   What do Flame fans think of Cory Sarich? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=880127)

MrSnrub 02-19-2011 11:45 AM

What do Flame fans think of Cory Sarich?

I'd be interested to hear what you think. VERY interested.

flames123 02-19-2011 11:54 AM

First of all I would like to say he is overpaid. A guy like him would be very valuable in the 2.5M range, but at 3.6M you expect a little bit more than he gives.

I think he does a great job playing a physical game and picking his spots. He isn't very noticable most nights, and that is when he is most effective. Recently he has developed a good two-way game and a good first pass. He has been pinching more often and at the right times and he has made an effort to make more creative plays vs. getting it to his partner or dumping the puck. He is slow by standard but he rarely gets caught out of position. If you ask me I think his first pass has been a big part of our recent success, allowing our forwards to enter with speed. IMO, he is a top 4 defenseman but just barely. His defensive skills are there but he has never been able to handle big minutes because he doesn't play on the PP and isn't a #1 PKer. He is not one of the go to guys for Brent Sutter and shouldn't be paid like one. I like Cory Sarich's game a lot but not at his price tag.

Pacem 02-19-2011 12:03 PM

A slightly overpaid defensive defenseman. He is good at picking his spots to be physical. Positionally sound. A bit slow. In the playoffs he seems to go into beast mode which makes his salary a bit more justifiable.

I'm a big fan of players that go into an extra gear come playoff time and Sarich does.

robmneilson 02-19-2011 12:16 PM

I pretty much echo the sentiments of those above me:

Below average #4, Good #5 D that is overpayed.

With Pardy going down with an injury I'd expect him not to be shipped out especially since he is a warrior during the playoffs. I'd love to see him stick around, but his cap hit hurts.

Roughneck 02-19-2011 12:59 PM

He has his good moments, and his bad moments.

When he's on his game I'm very glad he's on the team. Physical, responsible and no nonsense, basically bringing what Warrener did. When he's bad, I wish we could offload him mostly because of that cap hit. He'll get beat out wide, make a bad play with the puck and other mistakes that a $3M+ player shouldn't make as often as he is prone to making them.

In a non-cap world I wouldn't care as much about his bad days but with the cap I'd like a guy making that much to be a bit more consistent, which is why I'd be glad if he stuck around should the Flames accomplish the "impossible" and make the playoffs but not be upset if he got shipped out for a meagre return.

GoFlames 02-19-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pacem (Post 31058050)
A slightly overpaid defensive defenseman. He is good at picking his spots to be physical. Positionally sound. A bit slow. In the playoffs he seems to go into beast mode which makes his salary a bit more justifiable.

I'm a big fan of players that go into an extra gear come playoff time and Sarich does.

I could have not said it better myself. Sums it up. :handclap:

ComixZone 02-19-2011 01:46 PM

He has stepped his game up huge over the last while. He's been the definition of a "big game" player for us.

Watching Sarich play in the Chicago series a few years back was simply amazing. His feet were destroyed, but he was out there playing as our #1 d-man with injuries to Phaneuf and Regehr decimating our d-line.

Sarich is a bit overpaid, his sweet spot is probably 3.0 on the dot.

One of the meanest (and cleanest) body checkers in the league. His foot speed is an issue, but his positioning is so strong that it rarely costs him. Great 2nd pairing d-man. He has his faults, but effort is never an issue with Sarich. He gives it his all every night.

I'm a big fan of Cory Sarich.

StreakingRed 02-19-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pacem (Post 31058050)

Well said, I agree.

Lunatik* 02-19-2011 03:31 PM

I love Sarich, most underrated Flames defenseman

tmurfin 02-19-2011 03:46 PM

I'm a huge Sarich fan, he's physical, nasty, positionally good and just a beast in the PO's. Sarich and Gio have been one of my favorite pairings in awhile

GoFlames 02-19-2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatik (Post 31062849)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmurfin (Post 31063218)
I'm a huge Sarich fan, he's physical, nasty, positionally good and just a beast in the PO's. Sarich and Gio have been one of my favorite pairings in awhile

I agree, I dig Sarich and that combo of him and Gio is great. They were also playing very well together down the stretch last season.

King In The North 02-19-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robmneilson (Post 31058426)
I pretty much echo the sentiments of those above me:

Below average #4, Good #5 D that is overpayed.

With Pardy going down with an injury I'd expect him not to be shipped out especially since he is a warrior during the playoffs. I'd love to see him stick around, but his cap hit hurts.

No, he's definitely a top 4 pairing D.

AnAfricanMidget 02-19-2011 05:05 PM

Slightly overpaid, but he is the type of guy you like on your team.

No problems with him, plus he seems to have great chemistry with Giordano.

Steven 02-19-2011 05:08 PM

Kind of overpaid, but his physical game is incredibly underrated.

robmneilson 02-19-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich0591 (Post 31065191)
No, he's definitely a top 4 pairing D.

I feel like when he is on, he's a top four...but he has ALOT of brain farts for a top two pairing for stretches. If he could get more consistent it wouldnt even be an argument.

Johnny Hoxville 02-19-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flames123 (Post 31057807)
First of all I would like to say he is overpaid. A guy like him would be very valuable in the 2.5M range, but at 3.6M you expect a little bit more than he gives.

I think he does a great job playing a physical game and picking his spots. He isn't very noticable most nights, and that is when he is most effective. Recently he has developed a good two-way game and a good first pass. He has been pinching more often and at the right times and he has made an effort to make more creative plays vs. getting it to his partner or dumping the puck. He is slow by standard but he rarely gets caught out of position. If you ask me I think his first pass has been a big part of our recent success, allowing our forwards to enter with speed. IMO, he is a top 4 defenseman but just barely. His defensive skills are there but he has never been able to handle big minutes because he doesn't play on the PP and isn't a #1 PKer. He is not one of the go to guys for Brent Sutter and shouldn't be paid like one. I like Cory Sarich's game a lot but not at his price tag.

Pretty accurate assessment here. I like Sarich, he would definitely be an asset to any team. He shines in the playoffs, and his memorable hit on Marleau against San Jose changed the momentum of that series and that play alone was almost enough to put the Flames over the top to get a series win. He is slightly overpaid, but he is pretty consisitent overall and is a warrior in every sense of the word.

WhereIsIt 02-19-2011 10:13 PM

I have never seen a hit affect the outcome of a game more than that hit on Marleau, what a classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPRWKOb7iV4

Wonder if that hit is legal anymore? I hope it is.

Btw, would love to see that sea of red again this year.

Xelstyle 02-20-2011 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robmneilson (Post 31068204)
I feel like when he is on, he's a top four...but he has ALOT of brain farts for a top two pairing for stretches. If he could get more consistent it wouldnt even be an argument.

Of course I agree with everything that's been said but especially this. If he cuts down on that, you could argue he plays almost to the value of his contract.

flames123 02-20-2011 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StreakingRed (Post 31061726)
Well said, I agree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoFlames (Post 31059872)
I could have not said it better myself. Sums it up. :handclap:

Reiterated what I said and suddenly its a good post. Whats up? lols

Signature 02-20-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flames123 (Post 31079882)
Reiterated what I said and suddenly its a good post. Whats up? lols

Reading a paragraph vs reading a succinct sentence = you lose :laugh:

MrHelyar 02-21-2011 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roughneck (Post 31059582)
He has his good moments, and his bad moments.

in a nutshell

I tend to not like him all that much, he makes a lot of bad passes, takes quite a bit of bad chances but then there is sometimes where he plays great and you forget for a second what he does wrong, I flip flop on the guy all the time.

CoRD 02-21-2011 09:45 AM

He plays best when he keeps it simple. I find when he tries to do too much with the puck, that's when the mistakes happen. He is best just flipping it out of the zone (not icing it) or gaining the line and dumping it in. Although his breakout passes have looked better as of late. The guy is a physical force some nights and when the playoffs come he is a monster. $3.6M is a bit too much but worth every penny come playoff time.

Snoil11 02-21-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatik (Post 31062849)

This post sums up my thoughts perfectly.

SaintAnton 02-21-2011 10:52 AM

He isn't one of our top 3 D-men

He isn't producing huge numbers this year

He makes 3.6 million (against the cap)

and despite all that we still wouldn't give him up cheap, so he's obviously doing something right :P

Signature 02-21-2011 12:32 PM

He made a bad play in the HC though; pretty sure everyone remembers the pinch and the big hit he tried to throw instead of playing positionally, and it lead to that lone 2 on 1 for the Habs.

I like him, and he's not terribly inconsistent and is a playoff warrior, but man, if the salary was under 3 I would like him a lot more.
Who gave him that contract, anyways?