HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Oilers and Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=880327)

Eriktion 02-19-2011 06:50 PM

Oilers and Wild

To Edmonton:
Brent Burns
Kyle Brodziak

To Minnesota:
Tom Gilbert
Sam Gagner
2nd Round pick 2011

Why Oilers do this:
Oilers get a Monster 1B defenceman who can kill penalties and play on the PP, he is extremely tough to play against and can skate like the wind. Brodziak was very good during his time here in Edmonton and can kill penalties while providing that checking Right handed center the Oilers have been lacking since well...Brodziak left.

Why Minnesota does this:
Get two young players with a few years left on their contract. Additionally Gagner is a RFA at the end which has added incentive for the Wild. The Wild already have a big, physical D core and by adding a guy like Gilbert he could help slow things down back there and bring a different element to their defence. The 2nd round pick from the Oilers this year is likely to be the 31 or 32nd pick so it is a boarder line first round pick.

What do you guys think?

mnwildgophers 02-19-2011 06:54 PM

Wild hang up laughing. Burns is worth more than Gagner + Gilbert + 2nd let alone adding Brodziak into the deal.

Dr Jan Itor 02-19-2011 07:00 PM

Your first sentence of 'Why Oilers do this' is the same reason why Minnesota does not do it.

Gagner and a 2nd rounder are nowhere near enough to justify the downgrade from Burns to (Minnesota native) Tom Gilbert.

McDNicks17 02-19-2011 07:03 PM

Just because some clueless posters on the Oilers board thought it was a bad deal for the Oilers, doesn't mean you to need to share it here.

There's nothing beyond Gilbert's hometown that's attractive to Minny. He hasn't been playing well, and that contract isn't easy to move. He has little to no value.

Burns and Brodziak for Gagner and a 2nd isn't even close.

Just awful from a Minny PoV.

this providence 02-19-2011 07:19 PM

If this isn't the worst Burns proposal yet, it's right up there.

MK9 02-19-2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by this providence (Post 31069627)

Top 5 though. Definitely in the top 5 worst.

jumptheshark 02-19-2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by this providence (Post 31069627)

slight homerism there

this providence 02-19-2011 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheStig (Post 31070014)
slight homerism there

Not really. We have most all of them saved somewhere. Feel free to go through the thread if you wish to compare.

Enjoy your driving though. *jealous

rynryn 02-19-2011 07:41 PM

this is kind of crazy. makes brent burns for seabrook look good.

Fel 96 02-19-2011 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK9 (Post 31069935)
Top 5 though. Definitely in the top 5 worst.

Most definitely.

Eriktion 02-19-2011 07:53 PM

Yeah I posted this on the Oilers boards earlier and Oilers fans were telling me the Wild had to add...so I kind of wanted to see what the general consensus was amongst more than just us Oilers fans.
What do you Minny fans feel the Oilers would need to add to net a guy like Burns?
Would a package surrounding Penner+Cogs+Gilbert+2nd in 2011 work for Burns+Brodziak+3rd?

BLAME CANADA* 02-19-2011 07:57 PM

hahahahahahaha Wild gets screwed in this deal. Gagner and Gilbert aren't getting you a number 1 D man like Burns.

Dr Jan Itor 02-19-2011 07:59 PM

Those Oiler fans are certifiably insane. Outside of Hall, Eddy doesn't really have anything that interests me (and he obviously isn't going anywhere).

punk_o_holic 02-19-2011 08:02 PM

As a Oilers fan, like others said, the Wild hangs up laughing. Honestly, if the Oilers wanted Burns, I would think they would want one of Hall and Eberle. I think they would pass up on Paajarvi. Now, I would get crusified by other Oilers fan but I would gladly offer up Eberle as a center piece for Burns. I wouldn't offer Hall. Hell, not sure if the Wild would even want Eberle. Only thing that scares me about Burns is he is a UFA in 12/13.

almostawake 02-19-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by this providence (Post 31070143)
Not really. We have most all of them saved somewhere. Feel free to go through the thread if you wish to compare.

Enjoy your driving though. *jealous

You should never have brought this thread to the attention of the masses.

Oh how I want to have my name immortalized.

Generic User 02-19-2011 08:08 PM

This thread is awesome. Considering the way he's been playing lately and that it's a well known fact that he's fresh off an All Star selection, this has to be the worst Burns trade proposal yet. I promise not to judge the entire fanbase by this.

Eriktion 02-19-2011 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_o_holic (Post 31071134)
As a Oilers fan, like others said, the Wild hangs up laughing. Honestly, if the Oilers wanted Burns, I would think they would want one of Hall and Eberle. I think they would pass up on Paajarvi. Now, I would get crusified by other Oilers fan but I would gladly offer up Eberle as a center piece for Burns. I wouldn't offer Hall. Hell, not sure if the Wild would even want Eberle. Only thing that scares me about Burns is he is a UFA in 12/13.

Personally I love Burns game, and he would fill a HUGE need for the Oilers, however I would not be willing to offer up any of our big 3 rookies for him. A combination of Penner, Cogs, Gags, Gilbert, Smid, Picks...a mix and mash of that is what I would give Minny to choose from, and if that's not good enough then I guess this deal doesn't happen.

I also noticed Burns is a UFA in 2012/2013, however if this deadline is any indication, defencement get a premium come trade deadline (however if Oilers did have a guy like him I would prefer to re-sign him).

Eriktion 02-19-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Generic User (Post 31071380)
This thread is awesome. Considering the way he's been playing lately and that it's a well known fact that he's fresh off an All Star selection, this has to be the worst Burns trade proposal yet. I promise not to judge the entire fanbase by this.

Oh trust me I understand how good Burns is, I'm not trying to insult the Wild or its fans...but I'm an Oilers fan, and if we do a trade with any team, we better be winning it (and the bigger we win it the better!) ;)

punk_o_holic 02-19-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriktion (Post 31071397)
Personally I love Burns game, and he would fill a HUGE need for the Oilers, however I would not be willing to offer up any of our big 3 rookies for him. A combination of Penner, Cogs, Gags, Gilbert, Smid, Picks...a mix and mash of that is what I would give Minny to choose from, and if that's not good enough then I guess this deal doesn't happen.

I also noticed Burns is a UFA in 2012/2013, however if this deadline is any indication, defencement get a premium come trade deadline (however if Oilers did have a guy like him I would prefer to re-sign him).

I guess when it comes to the big 3. If the Oilers draft Larsson then I would keep the big 3 and hope Larsson becomes a player like Burns or better. If they don't get him, I would still stand by my opinion. I would offer up Eberle in the right deal.

LosT_PropheT 02-19-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriktion (Post 31068604)
To Edmonton:
Brent Burns
Kyle Brodziak

To Minnesota:
Tom Gilbert
Sam Gagner
2nd Round pick 2011

Why Oilers do this:
Oilers get a Monster 1B defenceman who can kill penalties and play on the PP, he is extremely tough to play against and can skate like the wind. Brodziak was very good during his time here in Edmonton and can kill penalties while providing that checking Right handed center the Oilers have been lacking since well...Brodziak left.

Why Minnesota does this:
Get two young players with a few years left on their contract. Additionally Gagner is a RFA at the end which has added incentive for the Wild. The Wild already have a big, physical D core and by adding a guy like Gilbert he could help slow things down back there and bring a different element to their defence. The 2nd round pick from the Oilers this year is likely to be the 31 or 32nd pick so it is a boarder line first round pick.

What do you guys think?

Ooor, the Wild could keep their great defensemen who is only 25 who is signed to a fantastic contract for a couple more years after this one...

barnabyrules 02-19-2011 08:39 PM

Change the 2nd round pick to the Oilers 1st round pick this year, and the Wild don't hang up immediately.

LosT_PropheT 02-19-2011 08:44 PM

Still rather have Burns by quite a bit..

Dr Jan Itor 02-19-2011 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LosT_PropheT (Post 31072179)
Ooor, the Wild could keep their great defensemen who is only 25 who is signed to a fantastic contract for a couple more years after this one...

Correction:

Burns has 1 year left at $3.5 million and then he is due a raise, probably in the $5.5 - $6.5 range.

LosT_PropheT 02-19-2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor (Post 31072492)
Correction:

Burns has 1 year left at $3.5 million and then he is due a raise, probably in the $5.5 - $6.5 range.

Fair enough, I got my years mixed up. One less year worth of contract still isn't anywhere close to getting the value right on this trade.

Eriktion 02-19-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnabyrules (Post 31072292)
Change the 2nd round pick to the Oilers 1st round pick this year, and the Wild don't hang up immediately.

So you're saying potential 1st overall pick+gags+gilbert? I like Burns but I don't feel like he is worth the 1st overall alone.
How about:
Gags+Gilbert+Oilers 1st in 2012? The logic behind this of course is that the Oilers won't be a lottery team next year and the pick likely (hopefully) 8-14 range.