HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Waived: Zherdev (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=881952)

BrookswasHere44 02-23-2011 01:29 PM

Zherdev

Any takers for him here? I have no clue of his contract length or price just a im a bored curious thought

BrookswasHere44 02-23-2011 01:33 PM

RW Right shot solution?

Dan Barr 02-23-2011 01:33 PM

He's UFA after this season and his cap hit is $2 million. I'd put in a claim for him.

IHWR 02-23-2011 01:36 PM

Yeah I'd probably put a claim in on him as he's basically a rental anyways and we wouldn't have to give up assets to get him...but he's not a Bylsma kind of player at all so I'd say it's probably unlikely.

Biz Nasty 02-23-2011 01:36 PM

He isn't a Shero/Bylsma type player...but if we're looking to make things interesting for the stretch run, this is certainly an option. He could get the Poniakarovsky treatment, in that if he produces - great, if not he can sit in the press box and it doesn't hurt us.

SuburbanRhythm 02-23-2011 01:37 PM

Add Svatos and Kotalik (re-entry) too.

Make more sense to snag one of these guys without giving up anything, rather than the 4th-5th round pick it will take for Kovalev?

TopShelfGoal 02-23-2011 01:37 PM

Not really a solution, but it doesn't really add to any problems.

Dread Pirate Roberts 02-23-2011 01:40 PM

Would he be worth the pro-rated salary just for his production on the powerplay? Probably.

TravisUlrich 02-23-2011 01:41 PM

"Take a chance. Take a chance. Take-a-take-a Chance-Chance..."
http://www.amoeba.com/dynamic-images/blog/Brad/abba.jpg

JordanStaal#1Fan 02-23-2011 01:43 PM

He won't cost assets, why not?

Konstantin Koltsov 02-23-2011 01:43 PM

I would put a claim in but I doubt Shero will. I'd rather have Zherdev than Kovalev.

cassius 02-23-2011 01:44 PM

Sure - why not? Skill for cheap.

SuicideKings15 02-23-2011 01:44 PM

Big, young, skilled winger. Not the type of player this organization is known for carrying now-a-days, though. I'm not too sure if we would be willing to take him on if it weren't for the slew of injuries, but when a offensive minded player goes on the market with a pro-rated contract in our situation, I'd probably take a second look...

AgentM 02-23-2011 01:44 PM

Right handed shot that has 15 goals in 47 games? Like everyone else is saying, he doesn't fit our system, but he's got goal scoring skill and is FREE! Put in the claim Shero!

Biz Nasty 02-23-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm (Post 31169801)
Add Svatos and Kotalik (re-entry) too.

Make more sense to snag one of these guys without giving up anything, rather than the 4th-5th round pick it will take for Kovalev?

Zherdev, yes...Kotalik and Svatos, no.

Zherdev was decent for Philly, it was just a bad fit stylistically and their depth made him expendable. The other two are just damaged goods that are not more valuable than Kovalev, even if that means giving up an asset.

It's an "NHL 11" mindset to be sure, but perhaps Zherdev and Kovalev come in and find a groove...it's not like this team doesn't have enough sandpaper that we can't take on a finesse guy or two. Either you get two unmotivated softies that can be sat down in a minute for one of our AHL guys or you catch lightning in a bottle...either way, both guys posses more talent in their little finger than any of our wingers currently excluding Neal and Kunitz.

vecens24 02-23-2011 01:45 PM

I 100% place a claim. I don't think he'll get to us though. Some team will take the chance they can get the best out of him for a motnh or two.

I've wanted Zherdev here for about 3 years though so no one should probably listen to me.

Dread Pirate Roberts 02-23-2011 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vecens24 (Post 31170043)
I 100% place a claim. I don't think he'll get to us though. Some team will take the chance they can get the best out of him for a motnh or two.

I've wanted Zherdev here for about 3 years though so no one should probably listen to me.

That blue print means we have to listen, whether we should or not ;)

AgentM 02-23-2011 01:48 PM

How great would it be if we claimed him and he scored a few goals for us in a series win over the Flyers this year? Remember how upset Caps fans were when we claimed Bourque last year? The Flyers page would explode with anger haha

Dread Pirate Roberts 02-23-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentM (Post 31170167)
How great would it be if we claimed him and he scored a few goals for us in a series win over the Flyers this year? Remember how upset Caps fans were when we claimed Bourque last year? The Flyers page would explode with anger haha

That was hilarious when it happened, and is equally hilarious in hindsight. :laugh:

Shady Machine 02-23-2011 01:52 PM

Yes put a claim but he probably won't make it to us. The dude is talented and a lower team will certainly take a chance on him. Even if he made it to us though I'm not sure we put a claim in. I'm not sure how Shero would feel about him but I doubt DB would play the guy much. It would force him to move Dupuis off of the first line and we all know that won't happen.

Boocock 02-23-2011 01:54 PM

Either one of these pickups is a Craig Patrick-esque forward rejuvenation project, when you look at it from a long-term perspective. However, for the short term, between Zherdev, Svatos, and Kotalik, I'd go after Svatos. The Penguins need someone that can hold onto the puck and, with Svatos, the issues seem to stem more from a lack of confidence than laziness. Basically, if Svatos isn't scoring, he'll at least be doing his best to take care of his side of the bargain on the defensive end. That being said, don't be surprised if any of these players burn out like Comrie did.

66-29-33 02-23-2011 01:58 PM

I guess if Crosby is done for the season lines look like this if we acquire him.

Neal-Staal-Zherdev
Kunitz-Jeffrey-Johnson
Cooke-Letestu-TK
Conner-Adams-Talbot

Let's hope we can still have a chance on getting Weiss. Helps short and long term and i'd give up Tangradi+1st for him.

Neal-Staal-Zherdev
Kunitz-Weiss-Jeffrey
Cooke-Letestu-TK
Conner-Adams-Talbot

Next season

Kunitz-Crosby-UFA
Neal-Malkin-Weiss (takes Malkins draws)
Cooke-Staal-TK?
Adams?-Letestu-Jeffrey

vecens24 02-23-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts (Post 31170112)
That blue print means we have to listen, whether we should or not ;)

haha I assure you that it probably means I'm dumber than all of you, I just need the shiny blue print to make myself look important :help: :D

GoldenTriangle 02-23-2011 02:03 PM

His attitude sucks and it always has. Pass.

The Old Master 02-23-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentM (Post 31170167)

uncle fredy make it happen.....you listened to us with neal.:)