HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Bob's Puck Skills? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=882193)

FreshPerspective 02-23-2011 11:16 PM

Bob's Puck Skills?

Not sure if this was posted in some other thread but it seems like it deserves its own discussion....Timonen was pretty rough...ouch! It does seem teams are trying to exploit it more lately.

Quote:

Itís obvious over recent games, particularly Tuesdayís against Phoenix, that rookie goalie Sergei Bobrovsky is having issues controlling the puck outside the net and deciding what to do with it.

A number of players said as much Wednesday, including Kimmo Timonen, who did not mince his words with Bobís still-developing skills. He also said while there remains a language barrier that has to be crossed since Bob doesnít fully speak English, thereís more to it.

ďI donít think the problem comes down to talking, itís more of him getting the puck and getting settled and then it comes down to talking,Ē Timonen said.

ďIt looks like the last couple games, the puck is really not on his stick. Itís somewhere else and then it becomes a big hassle. Like I said, itís not easy for him. Heís not used to that [North American] game. Heís going to get better. They practice it every day.

ďFor me, it comes down to him really getting comfortable going behind [the net] to stop it. Itís actually a big thing. I think itís a bigger thing than we give it credit for. So, Boosh [Brian Boucher] is really good doing it and it makes a huge difference for us.Ē

Boucher has the better puck skills which is why thereís a belief that he will be the playoff starter over Bobrovsky, at this point.

We'll address the issue further on Thursday.

http://www.csnphilly.com/02/23/11/Fl...530&feedID=704

PhillyFan4Ever 02-23-2011 11:39 PM

whose better in handling the puck that go into the net?

this isnt really an issue. coburn stated at chickie and petes they have 3 commands they scream out to him.

L-train* 02-23-2011 11:44 PM

Who gives a ****?

Put whomever is the better guy at stopping pucks from going into the net (And rebounds into the slot) in for the playoffs.

ShawnTHW 02-23-2011 11:49 PM

Yet another reason why I dislike Tim Pannaccio. He never ceases to amaze me.

Juicy Couturier* 02-23-2011 11:55 PM

I don't get what he said that is an issue? Is it that he said he's still getting used to playing the puck, or that they are practicing it to help him improve? This is not an issue, I don't know why he made it seem like Kimmo called him out. When he said he did t hold back when speaking about him I thought for sure he was going to say Bob sucks at handling the puck and needs to stay in the net.

Jester 02-24-2011 12:05 AM

Remember last year against the Rangers when Boucher played the puck off the net into the slot and then dove back in to make the save? I love how somehow this year Boucher has become a marvel at handling the puck... he's really not all that great at it if you look around the league.

ChumpyG 02-24-2011 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 31185653)
Remember last year against the Rangers when Boucher played the puck off the net into the slot and then dove back in to make the save? I love how somehow this year Boucher has become a marvel at handling the puck... he's really not all that great at it if you look around the league.

Yeah but next to Bob, he's kinda night and day in that category. I think that's the main crux of what some are saying.

Jester 02-24-2011 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChumpyG (Post 31185681)
Yeah but next to Bob, he's kinda night and day in that category. I think that's the main crux of what some are saying.

Right, but Jim Jackson started pimping Boucher's stick skill about midway through the year, and it's been bizarre to listen to this meme develop. Boucher is decent enough at getting back there, stopping the puck, and then playing it to a waiting D... beyond that he's out of his element.

orange is better 02-24-2011 12:22 AM

Tim Panaccio really is not an intelligent person. Have you ever heard the man talk? I almost get embarassed for him. I remember last years training camp when he didn't know who David Laliberte was, he asked Jim Jackson, and even after Jackson told him twice, he couldn't pronounce his name right. What an insider.

It's time they give his job to Bill Meltzer.

PPPower 02-24-2011 12:29 AM

Quote:

Boucher has the better puck skills which is why thereís a belief that he will be the playoff starter over Bobrovsky, at this point.
Honestly if the playoffs started tomorrow I feel like Boucher has been the better and would start him. I would make this decision regardless of how much better Boucher's puck skills may be, I hardly think that's the determining factor. He's been more solid between the pipes and plus he has playoff experience.

although I always have more hope for Bob because as he's a rookie I feel like he has a better upside and we don't know where his ceiling is. Wheres Boosh has been around for a while and we know what he can do.

Beef Invictus 02-24-2011 01:28 AM

I still instinctively crap my pants when Boosh decides to play the puck. Bob is no better.

ChumpyG 02-24-2011 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 31185746)
Right, but Jim Jackson started pimping Boucher's stick skill about midway through the year, and it's been bizarre to listen to this meme develop. Boucher is decent enough at getting back there, stopping the puck, and then playing it to a waiting D... beyond that he's out of his element.

Oh I agree. I don't get to see many games with JJ doing the call, so I had no idea it was that bad.

HoverCarle* 02-24-2011 05:42 AM

Boucher is better, but that leads to him doing it more and in situations when we don't need it

KimiFerrari 02-24-2011 06:58 AM

I think Bobo's puck handling infront of the net is serviceable, but when it gets to behind the net..... It has to stem from his inability to communicate with his defense.

You can sometimes hear them scream to leave it there, but he will begin to hesitate, and then push puck out a bit. That mess up the defenders momentum, or puts them in a tight situation.

Mgkibbles 02-24-2011 08:37 AM

The goalie that almost scored on himself, and the guy who couldn't lift the puck three inches off the ice to clear a goalie stick are both Flyers...

Jester 02-24-2011 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hovercraft (Post 31187589)
Boucher is better, but that leads to him doing it more and in situations when we don't need it

Which, in fairness, is true of a lot of goalies... they want to help.

infidelappel* 02-24-2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 31188821)
Which, in fairness, is true of a lot of goalies... they want to help.

There's also a consistent belief when you're a goalie growing up pushed onto you that you 'have' to help. You have to get good at playing the puck to play high level hockey, you have to do this, you have to do that.

What that translates to is a common desire to prove yourself in that area, which causes goalies to do too much. It's an overrated facet of the game...being able to play the puck well is glamorous, but as long as you can effectively communicate with and get it to your defensemen, it's fine.

As it stands, Bob is bad at that part due to communication breakdowns; he's second-guessing his own instinct to try to listen to his teammates.

I can see starting Boosh against teams that are more effective at getting in on dump-ins because miscommunications can cause severe breakdowns, but I would expect Lavi to do what he has been...play Boosh against good dump teams, Bob against the ones who are better on the rush.

Mota 02-24-2011 10:44 AM

Articles like this are why I had the media coverage the flyers get. Every year around this time it is always about the goalies...ALWAYS. I watched DNL the other day and their whole flyers segment was about who should start in the playoffs. Like come on, it's a non-issue right now.

I still cant believe Tim Pannaccio is the official Flyers Insider...everything the guy writes is garbage.

Bob will learn to play the puck...it doesnt deserve its own article to try to stir a goalie controversy that doesnt exist.

infidelappel* 02-24-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mota (Post 31190828)
Articles like this are why I had the media coverage the flyers get. Every year around this time it is always about the goalies...ALWAYS. I watched DNL the other day and their whole flyers segment was about who should start in the playoffs. Like come on, it's a non-issue right now.

I still cant believe Tim Pannaccio is the official Flyers Insider...everything the guy writes is garbage.

Bob will learn to play the puck...it doesnt deserve its own article to try to stir a goalie controversy that doesnt exist.

I don't think it's necessarily stirring controversy.

Bob sucks at playing the puck...that might mean Boosh starts in the playoffs...and the closer those get, the more that's worth examining this year since it's been a toss-up.

Timonen made a pretty frank comment regarding Bob's ability to play the puck - which has been problematic. You can't expect that not to get reported...it doesn't make it sensationalist.

kicksave27 02-24-2011 11:00 AM

If i have a choice between the better puck handler or the better puck stopper. I'm going with the stopper. Ron Hextall was the best puck handling goalie ever, but didn't help him win any cups. His goaltending almost did in 87 though.

Spongolium* 02-24-2011 11:47 AM

How come kimmo threw his teammate under a bus. What the hell is going on.

FreshPerspective 02-24-2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spongolium (Post 31192624)
How come kimmo threw his teammate under a bus. What the hell is going on.

Maybe he's worried about getting injured from some miscommunication etc. Also I don't see this as sensationalist as some have suggested or that Panaccio who I'm not exactly a fan of is being petty. If players on the team are suggesting Bob's puck handling is a bit of a problem for them then it's a valid issue to discuss particularly since we're getting into playoff gear and we'll need Bob to polish his skills if we have a chance to go far. He is still raw in his game and Boosh still has some question marks so it's something to consider but not necessarily get all bent around the axle just yet...

BernieParent 02-24-2011 12:09 PM

It's good to see that they practice it. That would be a good drill for someone to fire the puck around the glass/boards, while Dmen take turns skating back to receive the puck from Bob.

How about the defensemen practice getting the puck behind their own net and not passing it to each other below the goal line until they turn it over at least once every single game?

hollywood42 02-25-2011 02:55 PM

stay in the net and let your d get the puck
thanks bob

the end