HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Leafs should go after Lindros and Chelios (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=88253)

p.l.f. 07-01-2004 11:42 AM

Leafs should go after Lindros and Chelios

they'd probably take no more than 3 million each

an upgrade over fitzgerald and marchment wouldnt you say ?

Killer 93 07-01-2004 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p.l.f.

No on Chelios.

Maybe on Lindros. He does not replace Fitzy though. They play completely different roles.

p.l.f. 07-01-2004 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer 93
No.

Yes.

Killer 93 07-01-2004 11:46 AM

Quote:

Yes.

Why?

p.l.f. 07-01-2004 11:50 AM

you dont think chelios is an upgrade over marchment

fitzgerald is a 4th line replacable part -wilm,kilger,stajan they can take his role
when nieuwendyk gets hurt we'll have no #2

Des Louise 07-01-2004 11:54 AM

Quote:

They would consolidate two of their main strenghts : injury proneness and age. Makes sense !

:lol

Killer 93 07-01-2004 11:54 AM

Quote:

you dont think chelios is an upgrade over marchment

I am not even going to think about Chelios on the Leafs. Leetch, McCabe, Kaberle, Klee, Berg, Colaiacovo and possibly Marchment. No room for him.

Quote:

fitzgerald is a 4th line replacable part -wilm,kilger,stajan they can take his role
Possibly.

Quote:

when nieuwendyk gets hurt we'll have no #2
Stajan.

p.l.f. 07-01-2004 11:56 AM

coliaicovo needs another yr in st johns
stajan would be best on a 3rd/4th line this yr

they both need to add strength in the upper body

Killer 93 07-01-2004 12:00 PM

Quote:

coliaicovo needs another yr in st johns

We will see. I bet he makes the team though.

Quote:

stajan would be best on a 3rd line this yr
How do you figure? He scored 14 goals playing in 69 games on the third and fourth line. Aren't you the least bit curious to see what he could do with 2nd line ice-time and skilled wingers?

Tap on the Ankle 07-01-2004 12:01 PM

Fitzgerald is one of your best penalty killers. It would be silly to let him go if he's not going to be replaced with another forward who is effective on the PK.

p.l.f. 07-01-2004 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer 93
We will see. I bet he makes the team though.

How do you figure? He scored 14 goals playing in 69 games on the third and fourth line. Aren't you the least bit curious to see what he could do with 2nd line ice-time and skilled wingers?

i feared him getting hurt in the corners
he looks very fragile
so did quinn

RangerBoy 07-01-2004 12:07 PM

The Leafs should sign Eric Lindros,Chris Chelios,Brendan Shanahan,Felix Potvin,
Mathieu Schneider,Travis Green and Mike Ricci

With the exception of Chelios,all of the other players are either Ontario boys or former Leafs

Sign them all :banana:

Go Leafs Go!!!

membleypeg 07-01-2004 12:09 PM

Quote:

There are serious talks going on over the state of leagues economics (CBA). Do you think that the Leafs will dig into the free agent market with impunity? Are you prepared for the small market teams response to a big haul by the typical offenders (Leafs, Rangers, Flyers, Stars, Wings) at the bargaining table.

I would love to see the Leafs of the world held to the same constraints as the Oilers and the Flames. These teams have had to actually use good hockey sense in all business decisions over the past many years. They do not have the luxury of purchasing talent to cover up inept management decisions (drafting, scouting, trading). Wouldn't it be nice to see the Leafs have to lose a player such as Sundin to the Oilers once. Maybe then the big spenders would open there eyes, and see that not all the teams are playing on the same level.

I am hoping for a salary cap, and a low level one ($35-40 Million). Lets see what the Leafs will do with a figure like this. Maybe they won't go out and buy the Lindros's and Chelios's after this year.

Tap on the Ankle 07-01-2004 12:13 PM

I'd like to see a cap too, but I think the best way to do it is gradually. Something like telling all the teams that they have X years to get their salaries below Y million.

JOHNBOY 07-01-2004 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy
The Leafs should sign Eric Lindros,Chris Chelios,Brendan Shanahan,Felix Potvin,
Mathieu Schneider,Travis Green and Mike Ricci

With the exception of Chelios,all of the other players are either Ontario boys or former Leafs

Sign them all :banana:

Go Leafs Go!!!

Wouldn't be suprised if they did....

The Leafs organization seems to have a fetish with players over the age of 35....

Des Louise 07-01-2004 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHNBOY
Wouldn't be suprised if they did....

The Leafs organization seems to have a fetish with players over the age of 35....

They have to be either from Ontario, injury prone, over 35 or former leafs. If they combine more than one of those attributes it's just gravy.

Pinto 07-01-2004 12:43 PM

Lindros.....maybe, but at 1 or 2 year incentive based deal

Chelios.....HELL NO

caber24 07-01-2004 02:27 PM

no they shouldn't..... both shouldn't even be touched... the player that they need imo is pavol demitra.... someone who can replace mogilny when he leaves after this season and someone who puts up big numbers....

Hemsky is a gangsta 07-01-2004 02:29 PM

re

Chelios and Lindros suiting up for the Leafs? Well, Chelios is 42 years old and Lindros is one hit away from the end of his career, so I say yes, perfect fit. But since they're kind of risky, I wouldn't pay them more than 20 million combined a year. JFJ has got to lay down the law somewhere.

chris_dub 07-01-2004 02:39 PM

Yes, the Leafs need more old & injury-prone players.

leafaholix* 07-01-2004 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fisher
Fitzgerald is one of your best penalty killers. It would be silly to let him go if he's not going to be replaced with another forward who is effective on the PK.

Roman Kukumberg (2004 draft pick) is probably expected to step in and play a pk role on the 4th line. From all scouting reports he's an elite penalty killing forward with some good offensive upside.

I would like to see them add some youth to the lineup like that, he's only 24.