HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Detroit Red Wings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Speculation: Is Datsyuk the most exciting player you have ever watched play? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=884846)

14ari13 03-01-2011 08:49 AM

Is Datsyuk the most exciting player you have ever watched play?

I think this is a very valid question. So I wonder if we are witnessing one of the most exciting player to ever play the game. There was a similar thread for some months ago, but I feel we need express our opinion on him again.

Ozz 03-01-2011 08:52 AM

No, but he's one of the most fun.

Shoalzie 03-01-2011 08:53 AM

Of today? Yes or he's at least in the discussion.
All time? There are more exciting but that's not a slight against him.

Fugu 03-01-2011 08:56 AM

1. Fedorov

2. Datsyuk

Most entertaining, at least. Someone like AO is very exciting to watch as well, but Feds and Dats just amaze(d) with the skill level, and differently from each other.

Luck 6 03-01-2011 08:59 AM

You guys ever see Bure play? ;)

It's hard for me to comment on Fedorov being a fan of another team, but I was always scared when he was on the ice haha.

Fugu 03-01-2011 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck 6 (Post 31333527)

It's hard for me to comment on Fedorov being a fan of another team, but I was always scared when he was on the ice haha.

Yes, and Bure and Feds played together in the Soviet Union. ;)

There's a great clip out there about a head-to-head skating race between Feds and Bure. Guess who won?

I think Mogilny and Feds face off in another one where they have to skate around cones the quickest. Guess who won?

Feds was highly underrated in some ways because as a Russian center, he played a two-way game. People overlooked his speed, agility, and a killer slapshot that ranked in the top echelons of the league. Hasek once said he thought Feds had the hardest shot he'd ever faced because it was very "heavy".

Ozz 03-01-2011 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck 6 (Post 31333527)

Absolutely, and he's one I had in mind when saying "No" to the original question here :) Russian Rocket FTW

Heaton 03-01-2011 09:10 AM

Datsyuk is definitely a lot more exciting than Fedorov. Fedorov was smooth, but I don't think he made the same type of exciting plays that Datsyuk does.

ProPAIN 03-01-2011 09:37 AM

The reason I started following the Wings is Datsyuk. It's as simple as that. I like players who play with style, who are exciting to watch and are role models on and off the field of play. That is why my favorite soccer player is Zidane (except for the headbutt of course).

I started watching hockey and caught a few Wings games and saw Pavel play, it was love at first sight. The rest is history...

But I seriously think today it's a once in a lifetime experience feeling when I watch him play. I'm sure another Datsyuk type player will appear down the road, but right now I'm watching a magician doing his tricks and a poet writing his poetry (too corny?).

He is one of the very few players that evokes a "How the hell did he do that?!?!?!" from any hockey fan that watches the game. Absolute legend.

BELLE TIRE 03-01-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugu (Post 31333481)
1. Fedorov

2. Datsyuk

Most entertaining, at least. Someone like AO is very exciting to watch as well, but Feds and Dats just amaze(d) with the skill level, and differently from each other.

Came here to post these two names. Bure was up there as well.

Datsyuk is IMO more flashy then Fedorov was. Fedorov was just great all-round. The speed and hands, the 100+ mph slapshot (I think he topped it in a skill comp). He was just a treat to watch whether it was on forward or on defense.

Shoalzie 03-01-2011 09:42 AM

Quote:

1. Fedorov

2. Datsyuk

I'm such a Fedorov (in his prime) slappy. That guy could literally do everything on the ice. I give Datsyuk tons of credit because I think if you put his hockey mind, creativity and work ethic into a guy like a Fedorov and we're talking about one of the greatest talents of all time. I think Datsyuk's hands and vision are incredible but I don't put him over Fedorov in terms of skating and shooting. Datsyuk is deceptively strong for his smaller size. Fedorov was a fairly big guy but obviously didn't play a big man's game. He was essentially Bure with size but with the ability to play at both ends of the ice.

RedWingsNow* 03-01-2011 09:43 AM

Fedorov and Bure did with an awesome blend of speed and skill.

Datsyuk is pure skill.

Going back to his rookie year, I remember watching Datsyuk and thinking, "This guy stickhandles better than anyone I've ever seen in my life. But that can't be possible, because I've never heard of him before."

Jagr is pretty effective. But a lot of what he did was based on his reach. In terms of pure puck magic,nobody in the league touches Datsyuk Maybe nobody in NHL history.

Is he the most exciting? That's about taste.
A guy like Theo Fleury was a joy to watch, because of his great mix of speed, skill and enthusiasm.
Yzerman's performance in 2002 was the most incredible hockey performance I've ever seen.
Some guys like fighters.
Some guys like speed.
Some guys like hitters.
Some like slapshots.

RIght now, for me, Pavel Datsyuk is best reason to watch an NHL hockey game.

The Red Wings haven't done a good job of marketing him. But the Red Wings marketing department has been a joke for 10 years anyway.

RedWingsNow* 03-01-2011 09:47 AM

Think of the centers we've seen here over the last 25 years
Yzerman
Oates
Fedorov
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Larionov
Draper
Roest

Shoalzie 03-01-2011 09:48 AM

What really is most enjoyable about both Pavel and Hank is that they're not only talented but they work extremely hard on the ice. I honestly think Hank isn't nearly as skilled as he appears to be but he makes up for it in work ethic. Datsyuk is extremely creative and smart but what seperates him from the pack is his work ethic. There are some very talented guys in this league but they get lost in the wash if they don't work at it. There's nothing more frustrating than seeing a talent wasted on laziness. Fedorov got on my nerves because some times he'd either appear to not work hard enough or his skill and skate was so effortless, that he appeared to be loafing on the ice. Pavel and Hank bring it when they're on the ice and that's the biggest reason I appreciate them as the faces of the franchises along with Nick.

r0bert8841 03-01-2011 09:57 AM

The 2 most exciting players I have ever watched are Datsyuk and Hasek. 2 completely unique players.

Huddy 03-01-2011 10:19 AM

Quote:

1. Fedorov

2. Datsyuk

Why Fedorov over Datsyuk? As some mentioned, Feds was smooth as glass but Datsyuks defensive capabilities overshadow anything Feds did defensively. In terms of offense, they are both just as gifted. Feds could score a goal when he wanted but Datsyuk can do 3x as much to create a play...

Huddy 03-01-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Bob (Post 31334216)
Think of the centers we've seen here over the last 25 years
Yzerman
Oates
Fedorov
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Larionov
Draper
Roest

:biglaugh:BWAAHAAHAHHA, NICE !

Coincidental Minors 03-01-2011 10:25 AM

Would have loved to watch how exciting Bure or Fedorov in their primes would have been post lockout rules. That said, in todays game Dats makes every game worth watching, I personally like watching how he almost always comes up with the puck when there's a scrum in along the boards.

ComradeChris 03-01-2011 10:37 AM

What's funny is a lot of people have no idea how close the Red Wings were to drafting Pavel Bure. During that draft year they were about to pick him, but were unsure if he was eligible to be drafted. They ended up finding out that he was indeed eligible and they were the next team to make a selection. Red Wings wanted Bure bad but Vancouver, the team ahead, ended up taking Pavel Bure instead.

Huddy 03-01-2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComradeChris (Post 31335055)
What's funny is a lot of people have no idea how close the Red Wings were to drafting Pavel Bure. During that draft year they were about to pick him, but were unsure if he was eligible to be drafted. They ended up finding out that he was indeed eligible and they were the next team to make a selection. Red Wings wanted Bure bad but Vancouver, the team ahead, ended up taking Pavel Bure instead.

Its also crazy to note DRAPER & Dan Bylsma were drafted before Fedorov and Bure that draft

Ozz 03-01-2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComradeChris (Post 31335055)

That's too bad, he would've been one of top picks in that draft easily.

14ari13 03-01-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozz (Post 31333430)
No, but he's one of the most fun.

Would you mind to name the players you think are more exciting to watch?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoalzie (Post 31333447)
Of today? Yes or he's at least in the discussion.
All time? There are more exciting but that's not a slight against him.

Would you mind to name the players you think are/were more exciting to watch?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProPAIN (Post 31334069)
The reason I started following the Wings is Datsyuk. It's as simple as that. I like players who play with style, who are exciting to watch and are role models on and off the field of play. That is why my favorite soccer player is Zidane (except for the headbutt of course).

I started watching hockey and caught a few Wings games and saw Pavel play, it was love at first sight. The rest is history...

But I seriously think today it's a once in a lifetime experience feeling when I watch him play. I'm sure another Datsyuk type player will appear down the road, but right now I'm watching a magician doing his tricks and a poet writing his poetry (too corny?).

He is one of the very few players that evokes a "How the hell did he do that?!?!?!" from any hockey fan that watches the game. Absolute legend.

Nice post. You see my avatar 14ari13 is because of Datsyuk and Shanahan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Bob (Post 31334158)

Datsyuk is pure skill.

Going back to his rookie year, I remember watching Datsyuk and thinking, "This guy stickhandles better than anyone I've ever seen in my life. But that can't be possible, because I've never heard of him before."

Jagr is pretty effective. But a lot of what he did was based on his reach. In terms of pure puck magic,nobody in the league touches Datsyuk Maybe nobody in NHL history.

A guy like Theo Fleury was a joy to watch, because of his great mix of speed, skill and enthusiasm.
Yzerman's performance in 2002 was the most incredible hockey performance I've ever seen.
Some guys like fighters.
Some guys like speed.
Some guys like hitters.
Some like slapshots.

The Red Wings haven't done a good job of marketing him. But the Red Wings marketing department has been a joke for 10 years anyway.

Hitting, I think Datsyuk has delivered some of the nicest/best hits.
Fights, I never expected Datsyuk to fight and I was really surprised/shocked to see him fight and Perry nonetheless.
I think 99,9% of us fans got surprised, but I think we loved it. But I do not want him to fight, he is ways too valueable and I am sure we do not want him to get involved in more fights.

Quote:

Originally Posted by r0bert8841 (Post 31334370)
The 2 most exciting players I have ever watched are Datsyuk and Hasek. 2 completely unique players.

My 1st thought was the same. Hasek was the most exciting after Datsyuk.
Unforetunately I have to say that Forsberg was also one of the most exciting to watch. I would have never admitted that while he was with the Avs (in those days, now I do not mind him or the Avs), but now I can say he was exciting to watch.
I also loved Stevens. I think this is the most underrated player.

Jussha 03-01-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Bob (Post 31334158)

Datsyuk is pure skill.

Some guys like fighters.
Some guys like speed.
Some guys like hitters.
Some like slapshots.

I remember the first time I saw him, didn't have centre ice at the time, so I could only watch games that were on CBC for most part, but I thought to myself "Didn't we trade Kozlov" lol

As the game was going on I finally caught a close up on the jersey and saw the name Datsyuk and said "who the phuck is Datsyuk", but was already enamored with things he was doing out on the ice

For me Fedorov in his prime was possibly more complete, I would have said Fedorov is more complete, but the way Datsyuk has been going since the lock out I think an argument can now be made for either one. However, Fedorov in terms of sheer entertainment/excitement doesn't compare to Datsyuk, but like you said that's a taste issue. One thing that I simply love about Datsyuk though, is he always seems to be thinking of new things to do on the ice during the course of the game itself. There was a game this season, where he bounced a loose puck in the air, and an opposing player was approaching him, so he bounced the puck into back into the air and checked the player and tried to retrieve the puck as it landed on the ice. It is rare you see players think of doing stuff like that on the ice 82 games a season, but I swear Pavs does it 82 games a season lol

Ozz 03-01-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ari13 (Post 31335705)
Would you mind to name the players you think are more exciting to watch?

Would you mind to name the players you think are/were more exciting to watch?

Off the top of my head, Pavel Bure and Mario Lemieux.

BELLE TIRE 03-01-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ari13 (Post 31335705)
I also loved Stevens. I think this is the most underrated player.

This would be Scott, right? I think the term beast is overused, but Scott Stevens was one. I have a massive amount of man-love for that guy.