HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Ponikarovsky (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=885367)

Roxo 03-02-2011 03:21 PM

Ponikarovsky

his stats this year are considerable down... curious why? Perhaps injury, chemistry playing time... perhaps DL wouldn't feel pressured to deal for penner if he was closer to his yearly average. Perhaps DL would of went in a different direction..

RonSwanson* 03-02-2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roxo (Post 31366211)
his stats this year are considerable down... curious why? Perhaps injury, chemistry playing time... perhaps DL wouldn't feel pressured to deal for penner if he was closer to his yearly average. Perhaps DL would of went in a different direction..

Thanks for the unnecessary thread bump.

I thought Poni resigned for another year. Almost had an angry heart attack.

wicker 03-02-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adevandry (Post 31366342)

It scared me too, seriously. Odd bump for sure.

I think he's been doing what's been asked of him (playing a cycling and more physical game, something he didn't do in his Toronto days), but it's clearly affected his goal scoring. He does well, but in Murray's system, it's a square peg in a round hole scenario. Same thing happened with Fro - had to sacrifice a lot of his offense so he could fit on the third line with Zus and Simmer.

Cutty Sarkn3ss* 03-02-2011 03:42 PM

LOL, I thought he resigned . . .

I still don't mind the signing, he plays heavy and in a year where our cap doesn't matter, I'm fine with his 1 year payday

saintsnsoldiers 03-02-2011 03:44 PM

I just literally shot diet Coke out my nose when I open the HFBOARDS page. Scared the crap out of my client....:laugh: Umm wow!

Scottkmlps 03-02-2011 03:45 PM

Funny to look back in this thread and see what everyone was saying about Penner not being a guy Lombardi would go after. Low and behold.

JDM 03-02-2011 03:45 PM

Quote:

your avatar rules

saintsnsoldiers 03-02-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers (Post 31366663)
I just literally shot diet Coke out my nose when I open the HFBOARDS page. Scared the crap out of my client....:laugh: Umm wow!

Ok only a bump, thought we resigned him...WHEW!

Live in the Now 03-02-2011 03:49 PM

On second, third, fourth, and fifth thought, I'm glad we only signed him for one season.

Gentle Ben Kenobi 03-02-2011 03:52 PM

I pee on the person who bumped this

JT Dutch* 03-02-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RightKinger (Post 27242177)
Do you guys REALLY think Lombardi would trade for Hemsky or Penner?
Man what has this offseason done to you guys...

... Yeah, I hear ya. There are times when one has to say "Let's be Reality here."

Dave in LA 03-02-2011 04:22 PM

He'll be good in the playoffs. There is no pressure on him to be the main guy to produce goals.

With addition of Penner, I think the kings have a great 3rd & 4th line. Speed, skill, size, grit & defensively responsible.

CNS 03-02-2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

This. To whoever bumped this thread, please don't ever do that again.

ShattStar03 03-02-2011 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers (Post 31366663)

Seriously!!!!

hahahaha I'm glad I'm not the only one

Pucknut50 03-02-2011 04:50 PM

In the last 2 games Poni has taken over on some of his shifts. He is really strong on the puck and using his body more. I think if he played in front of the net more he would have more goals.

Side note if Kopitar had the heart to go to the middle he would be a 100 pt player easy!!

KINGS17 03-02-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT Dutch (Post 31367056)
... Yeah, I hear ya. There are times when one has to say "Let's be Reality here."

The beauty of quoting stats is that you can never be wrong I guess. They don't prove a whole hell of a lot most of the time, but hey as long as you're right. :laugh:

TonySCV 03-02-2011 05:15 PM

OK... posts moved to this new thread to dramatically lower the heart rates of unsuspecting Kings fans. :)

FroFan 03-02-2011 06:00 PM

On topic for this new thread, certainly injuries and getting bumped down to the 3rd and 4th lines have hurt Poni's productivity. I've actually been very impressed with his play over the last couple of weeks. He's got a lot of jump, and has been strong along the boards. If he could just pot a few goals, he'd probably earn a bump up to the 3rd line.

Duc620 03-02-2011 06:00 PM

He is a dramatically better player when he plays with intensity and speed. Like he did with Lewis and Clifford. That line won us a game last week. They should stay together.

Not so good when expected to line up on the first or second line. We don't have the complimentary player for him. His size and speed demand a sniper who can one time a pass that Poni sends out of a corner or half wall. He's not a play maker and does not compliment play makers. He's much better creating opportunity out of chaos and creating chaos with Lewis and Clifford.

I really enjoyed watching those guys together - slam bang "in your face" cycle. Great stuff and it really pumped up the team.

KINGS17 03-02-2011 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc620 (Post 31369232)
He is a dramatically better player when he plays with intensity and speed. Like he did with Lewis and Clifford. That line won us a game last week. They should stay together.

Not so good when expected to line up on the first or second line. We don't have the complimentary player for him. His size and speed demand a sniper who can one time a pass that Poni sends out of a corner or half wall. He's not a play maker and does not compliment play makers. He's much better creating opportunity out of chaos and creating chaos with Lewis and Clifford.

I really enjoyed watching those guys together - slam bang "in your face" cycle. Great stuff and it really pumped up the team.

Well I don't do this very often, but...

Penner - Kopitar - Simmonds
Smyth - Stoll - Williams
Richardson - Handzus - Brown
Poni - Lewis - Clifford

That's four pretty good lines to roll.

Duc620 03-02-2011 07:18 PM

Yeah, that's four pretty good lines... like that mix... just need to let Penner gel and get more time together for the third.

DeeMeck 03-04-2011 01:57 PM

Another great game last night for Ponikarovsky and Lewis.

The press box served him well.

I don't think I have seen him take the body like this his entire career. His confidence on the puck and forecheck is the best it has been all year. Continues to be a strong penalty killer.

It is nice to see him be a bit more assertive offensively on his own instead of trying to pass the puck as soon as he gets it.

The Tikkanen 03-04-2011 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT Dutch (Post 31367056)

Oops! RightKinger should change his name to WrongKinger.

Duc620 03-04-2011 02:23 PM

Maybe he's finally found a coach who got through to him about attacking defense first and playing off the opponents mistakes rather than trying to create opportunities off a rush. If he keeps this up, the heavy checks, the speed, the intensity, then pretty soon some pucks are going to start bouncing his way and he'll get some goals.

HeadInjury 03-04-2011 02:27 PM

I like what he's been doing recently. Too bad he's going to be one and done for us. No way we can pay him to play on the fourth line next year.