HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   In praise of Jordan Leopold... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=885459)

Firestorm 03-02-2011 10:54 PM

In praise of Jordan Leopold...
 
Let's be honest about this. Leopold has been offensively very helpful and he`s having a career season here (although injured right now). Fortunately his defensive lapses are not too many, not as many as Sekera or Butler. He`s not afraid to shoot the puck, unlike Tallinder or Lydman. He perfectly compliments Montador which make one of the better defensive lines this season.

jflory81 03-03-2011 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan (Post 31376238)
Let's be honest about this. Leopold has been offensively very helpful and he`s having a career season here (although injured right now). Fortunately his defensive lapses are not too many, not as many as Sekera or Butler. He`s not afraid to shoot the puck, unlike Tallinder or Lydman. He perfectly compliments Montador which make one of the better defensive lines this season.

Overall, I think he's been the team's best defenseman this season.

So I like what you're throwing down here, and I would subscribe to more :)

msm29 03-03-2011 12:36 AM

I wonder what it is about Lindy's system where some defensemen just happen to work, like Leopold and Monty.

It seems like it favors smooth-skating, positionally guys who don't have to be overly physical.

Either way, it's worked well with us getting decently priced UFA's and watching them flourish.

buffalowing88 03-03-2011 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htsportplaya (Post 31378396)
I wonder what it is about Lindy's system where some defensemen just happen to work, like Leopold and Monty.

It seems like it favors smooth-skating, positionally guys who don't have to be overly physical.

Either way, it's worked well with us getting decently priced UFA's and watching them flourish.

While I don't think I'd call Montador a "smooth skater", I can agree that Lindy's system is odd in that it can make mediocre defensemen very valuable and highly touted ones such as Kalinin disposable.

jflory81 03-03-2011 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffalowing88 (Post 31378775)
While I don't think I'd call Montador a "smooth skater", I can agree that Lindy's system is odd in that it can make mediocre defensemen very valuable and highly touted ones such as Kalinin disposable.

Kalinin found the fast track out of the NHL once he left the Sabres.

That's an awful example.

joshjull 03-03-2011 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffalowing88 (Post 31378775)
While I don't think I'd call Montador a "smooth skater", I can agree that Lindy's system is odd in that it can make mediocre defensemen very valuable and highly touted ones such as Kalinin disposable.

So is Myers disposable? or mediocre?

OpethianSabre20 03-03-2011 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffalowing88 (Post 31378775)
While I don't think I'd call Montador a "smooth skater", I can agree that Lindy's system is odd in that it can make mediocre defensemen very valuable and highly touted ones such as Kalinin disposable.

Kalinin did himself in by being a basket-case out on the ice. Ruff's system had zero to do with that.

Corto 03-03-2011 02:31 AM

He's added much more offensive punch to the team than I had thought he would.

Defensively though, he's still very "meh" in most games.

All in all, though, he's having a very good year.
(I'd just prefer Lydman at 3m :P )

Firestorm 03-03-2011 08:10 AM

Darcy's best UFA signing in the past 3-5 years or so.

Sabretip 03-03-2011 05:47 PM

I'm in the group of people who have been pleasantly surprised by Leopold's play this year - while I expected the defensive lapses he's had, I didn't anticipate the extent of offense he'd bring.

However, I'd like to see if he repeats it next season as well or if he falls off. We all remember the FA signing of Spacek to a similar 3 year deal. Spacek was mediocre in Year 1, great in Year 2 and mediocre again in Year 3.

I'm hoping Leopold won't suffer the same kind of up and down career as a Sabre.

In the Buff 03-13-2011 12:31 PM

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...he-Sabres.html

Quote:

Leopold's 34 points are a career high and have him in the league's top 25 among defencemen. His goal Saturday was his first in 12 contests, but also set a personal best.

"It's been a good year," Leopold said. "As of late it's been a little bit tougher, but we're winning as a team and that's all that really matters."
Quote:

For maybe the first time in his NHL career, Leopold is comfortable in his role and in his skates in Buffalo.

"I found a home and feel wanted," he said.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.