HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Brad Richards news thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=885556)

RangerBoy 03-03-2011 06:47 AM

Brad Richards news thread
 
Brad Richards is not a Ranger but he'll be a much talked about figure on these boards for at least the next 4 months.

Mike Heika discussed the sale of the Stars and Richards future

Quote:

HEIKA: I think you’re right in a lot of ways. I think what he would like to know is what level of commitment to winning will come from the new ownership. He wants a team committed to chasing a Stanley Cup and paying the money it takes to get that done. He does not want to be on a team where getting out of the first round of the playoffs is seen as a huge accomplishment. And, if you look at the past five or six seasons, that’s what the Stars are right now. If an owner is in place and states he wants to spend money and try to win now, then I think Richards is in. If a new owner talks about budgets and setting a low payroll in hopes of business success, I think he is out.

I think he’s a lot like Cliff Lee. He wants to win and he wants to win now. He would like to find a special team where he believes that is possible. Now, can he be kept in the loop on who might buy the team? Maybe a little. Strangely enough, because the sale situation is so liquid, the person who buys the team will probably want to test Brad’s temperature before he commits to the Stars, as well. It will be very interesting to watch.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...p-richards.ece

Heika discussed the sale of the Stars

Quote:

Well, I do believe that any potential buyer would love to give Joe Nieuwendyk a chance to take a crack at signing Brad Richards. My guess right now is that Richards will test free agency no matter what. If I was his agent, I would recommend that path. So if the ownership situation can be worked out by July 1, the Stars could definitely be in the mix of teams talking to Richards (sort of like a Cliff Lee situation where Richards would consider the Stars a very serious candidate). That means that the potential buyers want to push the situation and get things moving. That's a good thing.

The problem for fans, I believe, is that Miller probably is the ``stalking horse'' here. He will set a price that will be shopped around. Sources are saying he already is trying to negotiate offers and counter-ofers for his ``first'' bid, and that he is aware that the lenders will shop that bid to other groups. They also say that the Greenberg/Ryan group was the stalking horse, and that they eventually got the Rangers.

No guarantee the lenders will find a buyer by July.

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...-could-he.html

Quote:

Stars center Brad Richards skated in Frisco Wednesday morning and is expected to join the Stars in Arizona on Wedneday night. Richards has missed the last seven games with concussion-like symptoms after getting hit in the jaw.

He should be on the ice at practice when the Stars work out Thursday in Peoria, Arizona.

If things go well, he could be in the lineup Friday against the Anaheim Ducks.

``It's still a process, and we need to take it step by step, but it is encouraging,'' Stars coach Marc Crawford said.

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...-practice.html

Change from earlier this week when Richards was not expected to play on the road trip.

Sounds like Richards is going to July 1 not matter what happens with the Stars ownership.

He waited this long. Why not wait until July.

Ola 03-03-2011 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy (Post 31380997)
Quote:

Well, I do believe that any potential buyer would love to give Joe Nieuwendyk a chance to take a crack at signing Brad Richards. My guess right now is that Richards will test free agency no matter what. If I was his agent, I would recommend that path. So if the ownership situation can be worked out by July 1, the Stars could definitely be in the mix of teams talking to Richards (sort of like a Cliff Lee situation where Richards would consider the Stars a very serious candidate). That means that the potential buyers want to push the situation and get things moving. That's a good thing.

The problem for fans, I believe, is that Miller probably is the ``stalking horse'' here. He will set a price that will be shopped around. Sources are saying he already is trying to negotiate offers and counter-ofers for his ``first'' bid, and that he is aware that the lenders will shop that bid to other groups. They also say that the Greenberg/Ryan group was the stalking horse, and that they eventually got the Rangers.
No guarantee the lenders will find a buyer by July.

If the above is true, Dallas basically have in reality one or two months to first nail it down with one of the potential buyers, because from that point you know it will take a month or two to finalize the deal.

Maybe there is some flex, but a new owner can not commit to BR, and BR can not trust a new owner until all the dots are in place. Just to put down all the dots in a deal like that takes like 6 weeks.

Blueblood 2 03-03-2011 07:23 AM

Beware the Big Buck Buffalo! Ornery animal.

I Am Chariot 03-03-2011 08:34 AM

Quote:

I think he’s a lot like Cliff Lee. He wants to win and he wants to win now. He would like to find a special team where he believes that is possible.
Back to Tampa? Would be a pretty smart move.

broadwayblue 03-03-2011 09:22 AM

If the above is true why would he want to come to NY?

Shadowrunner 03-03-2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadwayblue (Post 31382408)
If the above is true why would he want to come to NY?

Err, because NY has a good young core of developing players, an elite goalie, an elite forward, and a Stanley Cup winner for coach with whom BR has won the Con Smythe?

I swear, you people... :shakehead

DoTheBlue 03-03-2011 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadwayblue (Post 31382408)
If the above is true why would he want to come to NY?

I was thinking the same thing when I read this

"He does not want to be on a team where getting out of the first round of the playoffs is seen as a huge accomplishment. And, if you look at the past five or six seasons, that’s what the Stars are right now."

You could easily insert Rangers into that sentence.

Then you read this

"If an owner is in place and states he wants to spend money and try to win now, then I think Richards is in."

And there you get your answer as to why he would come here. Money.

broadwayblue 03-03-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowrunner (Post 31382707)
Err, because NY has a good young core of developing players, an elite goalie, an elite forward, and a Stanley Cup winner for coach with whom BR has won the Con Smythe?

I swear, you people... :shakehead

I agree we have a lot of good things going for us. BUT we don't have the track record of winning that he is looking for. I still think we're a very likely target...I was mostly poking fun at his comments. Perhaps he is just using that as a way to leave Dallas.

Shadowrunner 03-03-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadwayblue (Post 31383104)
I agree we have a lot of good things going for us. BUT we don't have the track record of winning that he is looking for. I still think we're a very likely target...I was mostly poking fun at his comments. Perhaps he is just using that as a way to leave Dallas.

He's not looking for any track records, he's looking for a commitment to winning, which means a willingness to spend to the cap.

OverTheCap 03-03-2011 10:29 AM

The Cliff Lee comparison isn't exactly spot on, because Lee has never won a championship and Richards has. But Lee was concerned about the Rangers' financial commitment to winning, and his contract may have prevented the Rangers from retaining some of their players or making a splash in free agency. It seems like Richards has some similar concerns with the Stars: are the new owners going to penny pinch or are they willing to spend whatever it takes to become a winner?

Obviously the Rangers have no problems spending money, but in terms of winning now, there would still be some holes on this team with Richards, and the defense would still be one of the youngest in the league. Richards would be looking at a championship a few years into his contract, if it all. But what's not being mentioned here is the Tortorella factor, and I think Richards' relationship with Torts is a big part of what makes New York an attractive destination for Richards.

New York RKY 03-03-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chariot (Post 31381794)
Back to Tampa? Would be a pretty smart move.

I don't think he would go back to Tampa. I'm sure he wouldn't mind going back there but Tampa won't take him back for two reasons:

1) There center depth is already insane. Unless one of the 3 would like to switch to wing--which I doubt.

2) They won't have much cap space after they re-up Stamkos either this year, or in the near future. Stamkos will probably command at least 10 mill a year.

As for the Rangers, I honestly think that the only reason he'd come here is because either he REALLY likes Torts, or because Torts would convince him to come. If Torts wasn't here there would be a lot of other places he'd rather go to, imo.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 03-03-2011 10:42 AM

Where should I put all these eggs? I know! In one basket.

SupersonicMonkey* 03-03-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadwayblue (Post 31383104)
I agree we have a lot of good things going for us. BUT we don't have the track record of winning that he is looking for. I still think we're a very likely target...I was mostly poking fun at his comments. Perhaps he is just using that as a way to leave Dallas.


We don't have a track record, but we have a team on the rise, that everyone in the league has taken note of.

If he sees himself as one of the missing pieces, why wouldn't he sign here?

•Team on the rise.
•Tortorella.
•Young team that can be very good for a long time.
•Hockey market.
•The arena.
•Committed to long term health of the organization.
•Stable ownership.
•Overall less travel.

There are more pros then cons to coming to NYC to play for the Rangers.

What is the con? That they are a young team struggling right now while missing a few guys to injury?

SupersonicMonkey* 03-03-2011 10:54 AM

Unless there is a dark horse team in play, the Stars, Rangers, and Hurricanes are going to be his choices.

He's mentioned Carolina is a place he's like to go, New York, and staying in Dallas.

He nixed Toronto flat out.

LA committed to Penner.

Tampa needs to retain Stamkos.

From all the reports, there won't be that many bidders, due to cap restraints and where he himself would like to play.

I can't read his mind, but from what has been reported, those three would have to be the front runners going into July.

Rangers
Canes
Stars

IMO, in that order.

I don't think Dallas will have the chance, due to the unstable position they're in with the ownership transition.

bobbop 03-03-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey (Post 31383953)
Unless there is a dark horse team in play, the Stars, Rangers, and Hurricanes are going to be his choices.

He's mentioned Carolina is a place he's like to go, New York, and staying in Dallas.

He nixed Toronto flat out.

LA committed to Penner.

Tampa needs to retain Stamkos.

From all the reports, there won't be that many bidders, due to cap restraints and where he himself would like to play.

I can't read his mind, but from what has been reported, those three would have to be the front runners going into July.

Rangers
Canes
Stars

IMO, in that order.

I don't think Dallas will have the chance, due to the unstable position they're in with the ownership transition.

Carolina has a small market budget. Great place to play but won't be able to compete financially.

broadwayblue 03-03-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey (Post 31383802)
We don't have a track record, but we have a team on the rise, that everyone in the league has taken note of.

If he sees himself as one of the missing pieces, why wouldn't he sign here?

•Team on the rise.
•Tortorella.
•Young team that can be very good for a long time.
•Hockey market.
•The arena.
•Committed to long term health of the organization.
•Stable ownership.
•Overall less travel.

There are more pros then cons to coming to NYC to play for the Rangers.

What is the con? That they are a young team struggling right now while missing a few guys to injury?

You forgot the Sky Bridges! But yes, there are a lot of pros for him to sign in NY and I have to believe the Rangers are on a very short list of candidates.

FanHabtic 03-03-2011 12:31 PM

I'm interested to see a scenario where the NYR can find the cap-space to sign Richards (~7 million cap-hit) in the offseason and:

1. Hold onto Callahan / Dubinsky
2. Drury does not retire (because that's ridiculous for him to piss away millions)

A buddy of mine, who is a Rangers fan, says it can't be done unless Richards is signed in the fall (after Redden's caphit is removed once again).

MisterUnspoken 03-03-2011 12:34 PM

Tampa is a legit threat to sign Richards. They have the cap space regardless of Stamkos getting a new deal. Gagne is off the books or if they resign him it's sure as hell going to be less than 5 million he makes now based on his mediocre season. Also they might resign Roloson or go with Desjardin. They could EASILY fit in a 6.5-7 million dollar Brad Richards and a 3-4 million upgrade at defense with cap space to spare.

Don't be so naive as to think they won't be a player in this, assuming of course Richards wants to go there.

New York RKY 03-03-2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken (Post 31385965)
Tampa is a legit threat to sign Richards. They have the cap space regardless of Stamkos getting a new deal. Gagne is off the books or if they resign him it's sure as hell going to be less than 5 million he makes now based on his mediocre season. Also they might resign Roloson or go with Desjardin. They could EASILY fit in a 6.5-7 million dollar Brad Richards and a 3-4 million upgrade at defense with cap space to spare.

Don't be so naive as to think they won't be a player in this, assuming of course Richards wants to go there.

They also have their center positions in lock.

They have Stamkos and Vinny, who would more over to the wing, I don't think anybody will. I also don't see any or them playing on the 3re line.

MisterUnspoken 03-03-2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FanHabtic (Post 31385917)
I'm interested to see a scenario where the NYR can find the cap-space to sign Richards (~7 million cap-hit) in the offseason and:

1. Hold onto Callahan / Dubinsky
2. Drury does not retire (because that's ridiculous for him to piss away millions)

A buddy of mine, who is a Rangers fan, says it can't be done unless Richards is signed in the fall (after Redden's caphit is removed once again).

Drury can be bought out to acquire the needed space (not advocating but) and not only that but some spare parts are coming off the books that can be replaced from within for cheaper.

The Rangers can fit Richards into the budget if they really want to.

BobSantos 03-03-2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoTheBlue (Post 31382729)
And there you get your answer as to why he would come here. Money.

I think you're misreading it. The owner would have to spend on Richards, yes, but the implication to me said that the owner would also have to commit financially to other top-tier players that demonstrate the capacity to win.

The Rangers are not that team right now. Not with Redden and Drury and unfortunately, it seems, Gaborik eating up a huge amount of cap space that could help this team be competitive.

I Am Chariot 03-03-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 31383734)
Where should I put all these eggs? I know! In one basket.

I laughed.... so true. But whats the alternative? Our team kind of blows as is

Chalfdiggity3 03-03-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FanHabtic (Post 31385917)
I'm interested to see a scenario where the NYR can find the cap-space to sign Richards (~7 million cap-hit) in the offseason and:

1. Hold onto Callahan / Dubinsky
2. Drury does not retire (because that's ridiculous for him to piss away millions)

A buddy of mine, who is a Rangers fan, says it can't be done unless Richards is signed in the fall (after Redden's caphit is removed once again).

First off the Rangers can and will easily hold onto Callahan and Dubinsky and all their core RFA's. I honestly beleive drury will retire after this season. The guy has had MULTIPLE major surgeries in one year, and his play has significantly fallen. His knee seems to be completly dismantled and i dont believe he can come back and play at an exceptional level that even he would be happy with. I think he retires and we lose his salary on the books, but if he doesnt its only 1 more year.

Redden on the other hand, has stated several times that he doesnt want to play in the ahl anymore. He wants to ressurect his career. He will NOT get that chance with the rangers, and has stated he wouldnt mind leaving the contract and going over seas to europe or trying out for another team. I think after this season his caphit will be gone.

JimmyStart* 03-03-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadwayblue (Post 31383104)
I agree we have a lot of good things going for us. BUT we don't have the track record of winning that he is looking for. I still think we're a very likely target...I was mostly poking fun at his comments. Perhaps he is just using that as a way to leave Dallas.

yea but what we did in 55 has no bearing on the team constructed today. Hell what we did in 01 has little bearing on it to be honest. Besides put it in context with the teams he's looking at. Didn't TB just have two tank years in rapid succession followed by being the 6th worst in the league? LA has had less success than us. I honestly thought to myself "We suck too though" and then had to think through it for a sec and realize our average is much better tahn their suckl the last few years

Chalfdiggity3 03-03-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSantos (Post 31386029)
The Rangers are not that team right now. Not with Redden and Drury and unfortunately, it seems, Gaborik eating up a huge amount of cap space that could help this team be competitive.

Really? come on man, Redden will be gone after this season, with his statement and desire to play above the ahl and stated he is willing to leave the contract he is in now to do that.

Drury like i said before has had to many injuries in one year and i see him retiring this year and if not its only 1 more season with him.

OMG! seriously? Gaborik is eating up a huge amount of capspace that doesnt allow us to be competive? the guy has had 1 bad season with us and weve already forgotten the 86pt campaign last year. WTF is wrong with everyone, so hes had one bad season with some normal injuries that happens. If richards signs, i do believe him and Gaborik would be magic on a line with either Boyle or Dubinsky.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.