HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   RD Ryan Pulock (2013, 15th overall, New York Islanders) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=885694)

Joe Hallenback 03-03-2011 02:29 PM

RD Ryan Pulock (2013, 15th overall, New York Islanders)
 
Ryan Pulock 6'0 185 Defense Brandon Wheat Kings http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...91&encode=TRUE

Eligible 2013 Draft

Pulock is having a quietly remarkable season in the WHL. He currently leads all 16 year old defensemen in scoring with 36 points.

Ryan is a smooth skating intelligent defender. He makes excellent passes and decisions with and with out the puck. Not an out and out offensive defenseman he rarely gets caught making bad decisions. He has a good hard accurate shot from the point. His skating is above average as his lateral movement. Like all 16 year olds he needs to work on his strength but that is something that will come.


What is really remarkable is that Pulock was a 7th round bantam pick in 2009. He is someone to watch out for and is a potential top 10 guy in the 2013 draft.

R S 03-03-2011 02:35 PM

Really like the kid. I've seen him 3-4 times this year. Although the last time I saw him he didn't look too sharp.

WheatiesHockey 03-03-2011 05:33 PM

Pulock has come along nicely in the second half of the season. He is getting a chance to play more quality minutes and his play has improved accordingly.
Eric Roy is also developing into a future anchor on the blue line. Picking up 20 year old Mckay for a mentor helped quite a bit. The injury to Melnychuk gave the youngsters an opportunity to have more time out on the ice.

Hale The Villain 03-26-2011 12:21 AM

Wow 2G and 2A for Pulock tonight vs the Tigers in his first WHL playoff game :amazed:

Breakfast of Champs 03-26-2011 12:38 AM

never seen him but those stats would be impressive for a 94 forward in the whl. A late 94 dman makes it incredibly intriguing.

R S 03-26-2011 08:12 AM

I still don't get it, the kid never showed me much in the games I saw this year and I saw him almost half a dozen times. Either way, a great start to the playoffs for Brandon.

sbtatter 03-28-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings (Post 31915477)
I still don't get it, the kid never showed me much in the games I saw this year and I saw him almost half a dozen times. Either way, a great start to the playoffs for Brandon.

He's so steady, is why you don't notice him. That's both his strength and weakness, because he isn't flashy or a big hitter (and plays in a small town) he gets very little fanfare. But the fact you don't notice a Oct 94 d-man playing top pairing in the dub is also what makes him so good, savvy, smart player. If he continues to develop at this pace people are projecting him to be like Redden.
Against the best team in the dub in 8 games, his stats were;
1g 6a -6
Pretty heady stats for a 16 year old playing top pairing defence against the likes of Viedensky and Schenn

R S 03-28-2011 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbtatter (Post 31958020)
He's so steady, is why you don't notice him. That's both his strength and weakness, because he isn't flashy or a big hitter (and plays in a small town) he gets very little fanfare. But the fact you don't notice a Oct 94 d-man playing top pairing in the dub is also what makes him so good, savvy, smart player. If he continues to develop at this pace people are projecting him to be like Redden.
Against the best team in the dub in 8 games, his stats were;
1g 6a -6
Pretty heady stats for a 16 year old playing top pairing defence against the likes of Viedensky and Schenn

Fair enough. And I wasn't calling him out. Just being truthful and saying he didn't really show me much.

jmor 03-28-2011 11:58 PM

I saw Pulock play at the MTS Centre today when the Wheat Kings were playing the Tigers. I was really impressed, he didn't put up any points but he was a +2 and was so steady.

I didn't really know anything about him going in, and was shocked when I found out he was a 16 year old that isn't eligible until the 2013 draft. He really stood out and is definitely a guy to watch considering he's so young, has good size/mobility, and already seems to be the #1 defenseman on Brandon.

Alter Haudegen 04-05-2011 04:59 AM

Interesting article about Ryan Pulock
 
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...119048234.html

Hard not to pull for him.

R S 04-05-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alter Haudegen (Post 32124861)

Yeah, read that last week. I couldn't imagine that as I also have a younger brother.

Jean Ralphio 10-23-2011 07:28 PM

15 points in 13 games so far this year, good enough for second among WHL defenseman. Can anyone who has seen him give any insight as to how he's looked defensively this year?

DangerMan 10-23-2011 07:32 PM

Defensively he looks pretty good, especially for a 16 year old. It helps he has a big frame already. He could stand to polish up the footwork a little bit, but he is very smart and mature and it shows on the ice. He very rarely makes mistakes with the puck.

Sticks and Pucks 10-23-2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerMan (Post 38378123)
Defensively he looks pretty good, especially for a 16 year old. It helps he has a big frame already. He could stand to polish up the footwork a little bit, but he is very smart and mature and it shows on the ice. He very rarely makes mistakes with the puck.

Would you take this year's Pulock over last year's Ryan Murray?

DangerMan 10-23-2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuckmaster12345 (Post 38384277)
Would you take this year's Pulock over last year's Ryan Murray?

Oh, that's a heckuva question. It would depend on how my team was built. But if I was starting an expansion team, I'd probably take Murray, because Murray a Dman you could build a defense and a team around. Pulock is right there though. My answer could change by the end of the year.

R S 10-24-2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerMan (Post 38378123)
Defensively he looks pretty good, especially for a 16 year old. It helps he has a big frame already. He could stand to polish up the footwork a little bit, but he is very smart and mature and it shows on the ice. He very rarely makes mistakes with the puck.

He's actually 17 now, just FYI.

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuckmaster12345 (Post 38384277)
Would you take this year's Pulock over last year's Ryan Murray?

Not a chance.

sbtatter 10-24-2011 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings (Post 38401707)
He's actually 17 now, just FYI.


Turned 17 on Oct 6th

Sore Loser 10-24-2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings (Post 38401707)
Not a chance.

Agreed. Ryan Murray is a phenom.

I saw Ryan Pulock live for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I'd seen footage of him, but nothing compares to live - when you can follow the player's every move. I was thoroughly impressed with both Pulock and Eric Roy. Pulock was the flashier of the two, making long stretch passes and jumping into the rush on a regular basis. He fit right in in the defensive zone, never really looking out of place, and threw his weight around a bit along the boards. One play that really stood out for me was when he fired a big one-timer from about 60 feet out - the puck missed the net by less than a foot, and had to be going 100mph.

I'll be keeping a close eye on Pulock over the next 18 months for sure. It will be interesting to see how he (and Roy) develops.

R S 10-24-2011 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sore Loser (Post 38431099)
Agreed. Ryan Murray is a phenom.

I saw Ryan Pulock live for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I'd seen footage of him, but nothing compares to live - when you can follow the player's every move. I was thoroughly impressed with both Pulock and Eric Roy. Pulock was the flashier of the two, making long stretch passes and jumping into the rush on a regular basis. He fit right in in the defensive zone, never really looking out of place, and threw his weight around a bit along the boards. One play that really stood out for me was when he fired a big one-timer from about 60 feet out - the puck missed the net by less than a foot, and had to be going 100mph.

I'll be keeping a close eye on Pulock over the next 18 months for sure. It will be interesting to see how he (and Roy) develops.

Come on now.

Sore Loser 10-25-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings (Post 38432699)
Come on now.

Don't believe me if you don't want to. The only kid I saw shoot the puck that hard in recent years was Sena Acolatse ... before him, likely all the way back to Dustin Byfuglien.

R S 10-25-2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sore Loser (Post 38452317)
Don't believe me if you don't want to. The only kid I saw shoot the puck that hard in recent years was Sena Acolatse ... before him, likely all the way back to Dustin Byfuglien.

95% of the NHL can't shoot the puck 100mph. I highly doubt a recently turned 17 year old could.

Joe Hallenback 10-25-2011 03:59 PM

I think he was clocked at around 92 or 93 at a skills competition. He does have a cannon for a shot and I can't think of many guys in the WHL that have as hard of one as his

R S 10-25-2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback (Post 38458869)
I think he was clocked at around 92 or 93 at a skills competition. He does have a cannon for a shot and I can't think of many guys in the WHL that have as hard of one as his

Yeah, I know he has a hard shot. It was one of the things that stood out to me when I watched him live 3-4 times last season.

I was merely saying that I didn't think it was 100mph :D

sbtatter 11-17-2011 11:33 PM

Ryan Pulock
 
All hail the hardest shot in the WHL!! Nice coming out party for the 17 year old tonight, let the country see what Brandon fans have seen for the last 14 months....
Some "scouts" on this board have claimed they have never had Pulock "wow" them, well, I guess that changed tonight?

hockeyscout1728 11-17-2011 11:54 PM

First game of the year this season against Moose Jaw, he was outstanding.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.