HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   No shutouts - No Stanley Cup? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=886068)

zamboni88 03-04-2011 10:29 AM

No shutouts - No Stanley Cup?
 
Am I the only one who thinks the fact the the Flyers are the only team in the league without a shutout is a symptom of a larger problem?

The last 2 games against the Sens and Leafs would have seemed the time the team would pull it together and run this 500 pount gorilla out of Philly.

I hope that we get one before the season ends.

chimrichalds18 03-04-2011 10:35 AM

I think it's overblown. Frustrating at times because a shutout has slipped away, but still overblown. I could totally see us getting a shutout first game of the playoffs and people laughing about it. I'm actually expecting that.

might2mash 03-04-2011 10:38 AM

There are bigger problems right now, but they contribute. The lack of focus since the ASB, and the issue with long breaks in general is annoying. This defense was supposed to be deep and very strong, but they look lazy at times. And the scoring dearth all of a sudden makes the D and goalie feel like they need to work even harder, which is dumb.

Terence Peterman 03-04-2011 10:52 AM

This is irrelevant.

The Flyers have been on top most of the year anyway. Teams always bring their A-game against the guys on top. Everyone has a reason to fight right now -- be it for their playoff lives or to prove they're nobody's door mat. Let them end the shutouts, I just want the victories.

DrinkFightFlyers 03-04-2011 11:10 AM

OMG great point! Everyone knows only the team with the most shutouts wins the Stanley Cup! We better get some shutouts soon or we are screwed! The team may be forced to leave Philly! Oh no!

infidelappel* 03-04-2011 11:28 AM

Really, another thread about this?

Shutouts are nice, but not really indicative of much...and I'm a goalie, so if anything I ought to be biased on the part of shutouts being valuable.

JLHockeyKnight 03-04-2011 11:34 AM

You got it backwards.

No goals - No Stanley Cup.

Winning games is all that matters. They don't have to be beautiful wins, but ugly wins are just as important.

CanadianFlyer88 03-04-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infidelappel (Post 31412599)
Really, another thread about this?

Shutouts are nice, but not really indicative of much...and I'm a goalie, so if anything I ought to be biased on the part of shutouts being valuable.

... unless you're a poor goalie. :sarcasm:

infidelappel* 03-04-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 (Post 31412955)
... unless you're a poor goalie. :sarcasm:

Hahahaha....touche.

However, I promise I have plenty of them. :)

GoneFullHextall 03-04-2011 12:11 PM

we really need more goalie/we have no shutouts threads.
just not enough of them.

JagerPuck 03-04-2011 12:22 PM

I dont know if we should be worried about it or not.
Does it show lack of consistency? Yes
Could any goaltender pitch a 0 on any given night? Yes
Could any goaltender with 6-10 SO be beaten mercilessly? Yes
Do I think BOB + Bouch need some shut-outs before the playoffs start? No

If the team as a whole could finish games in the late 2nd and 3rd period there would be no need for any goalie threads, Flyers gave been giving points away and losing leads all season.

JLHockeyKnight 03-04-2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JagerPuck (Post 31413673)
I dont know if we should be worried about it or not.
Does it show lack of consistency? Yes
Could any goaltender pitch a 0 on any given night? Yes
Could any goaltender with 6-10 SO be beaten mercilessly? Yes
Do I think BOB + Bouch need some shut-outs before the playoffs start? No

If the team as a whole could finish games in the late 2nd and 3rd period there would be no need for any goalie threads, Flyers gave been giving points away and losing leads all season.

This is false. They consistently don't get a shutout.:sarcasm:

FlyerGuy18 03-04-2011 01:26 PM

Pannacio says only two teams have done this not sure of the exact years but they were both the Isles & Oilers in the 80s

zamboni88 03-04-2011 01:56 PM

To me the lack of a shutout is indication of a problem - a problem that could manifest itself as an early exit from the playoffs. It's not all about the goalie - shutouts are a team effort.

Juicy Couturier* 03-04-2011 02:14 PM

Who cares. A win is a win. I don't care if they sweep playoffs winning 6-5 in OT every game.

DrinkFightFlyers 03-04-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zamboni88 (Post 31415470)
To me the lack of a shutout is indication of a problem - a problem that could manifest itself as an early exit from the playoffs. It's not all about the goalie - shutouts are a team effort.

Lol. What problem is this indicative of? The Flyers are #5 in goals allowed and #3 in goal differential. The only thing that this stat shows is the Flyers have zero shutouts. It doesn't show poor goaltending and it doesn't show poor defense. If anything the stat shows that this stat ISN'T a problem. If the Flyers had zero shutouts and were middle to bottom of the pack in goals allowed and goal differential, you might be on to something. But the fact that they have zero shutouts and yet are still top five in goals allowed and top three in goals against is pretty damn impressive.

EDIT: The baseball equivalent could be a batter with 150 RBIs but no home runs. That does not show a problem. Or a pitcher with a lot of wins and low ERA but no strikeouts. Shutouts are just an "icing on the cake" type of stat that don't really mean a goalie is good if he gets a lot or is bad if he gets none. The stats that really matter are the save percentage, goals against, and most importantly, the W's.

CanadianFlyer88 03-04-2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 31416090)
Lol. What problem is this indicative of? The Flyers are #5 in goals allowed and #3 in goal differential. The only thing that this stat shows is the Flyers have zero shutouts. It doesn't show poor goaltending and it doesn't show poor defense. If anything the stat shows that this stat ISN'T a problem. If the Flyers had zero shutouts and were middle to bottom of the pack in goals allowed and goal differential, you might be on to something. But the fact that they have zero shutouts and yet are still top five in goals allowed and top three in goals against is pretty damn impressive.

EDIT: The baseball equivalent could be a batter with 150 RBIs but no home runs. That does not show a problem. Or a pitcher with a lot of wins but no strikeouts. Shutouts are just an "icing on the cake" type of stat that don't really mean a goalie is good if he gets a lot or is bad if he gets none. The stats that really matter are the save percentage, goals against, and most importantly, the W's.

Stats and logic have no place on an internet forum.

JLHockeyKnight 03-04-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zamboni88 (Post 31415470)
To me the lack of a shutout is indication of a problem - a problem that could manifest itself as an early exit from the playoffs. It's not all about the goalie - shutouts are a team effort.

Once more: So are wins.

Cmoneyflyguy 03-04-2011 02:31 PM

2 questions:
1 - How many points in the standings are shutout wins worth?
2 - Do shutout wins eliminate teams faster than non-shutout wins in the playoffs?

Thanks

buff 03-04-2011 02:37 PM

But a fact remain... We don't have the goalie to win the Stanley cup ...

Cmoneyflyguy 03-04-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buff (Post 31416405)
But a fact remain... We don't have the goalie to win the Stanley cup ...

Really? Are you sure?

infidelappel* 03-04-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buff (Post 31416405)
But a fact remain... We don't have the goalie to win the Stanley cup ...

That's not a fact, it's a guess.

I think Bob is the type of guy who could steal a game or two. If we had had that last year, we win.

might2mash 03-04-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyerGuy18 (Post 31414927)
Pannacio says only two teams have done this not sure of the exact years but they were both the Isles & Oilers in the 80s

How many teams have done it with exactly one shutout? exactly two? exactly six? I don't see it as being significant, but two doesn't surprise me.

Anyway, we'll get one. Maybe two. But who cares? We had like three in the Habs playoff series alone last year, it didn't mean Leighton was good enough in the finals.

Beef Invictus 03-04-2011 03:30 PM

Paging MSE to this thread to dispense trivia relating to teams who have won the cup without Shutouts. MSE, please report.

PuckBoy33 03-04-2011 03:32 PM

Your point is moot.
 
What difference does a shut-out make? What matters is getting the two points for a win...regardless the score.

If you think shut-outs matter, need I only remind you of "no peripheral vision" Leighton's soft goal in OVERTIME that led to us missing our chance to hoist Lord Stanley's cup last year? A goose egg is a goose egg. Only the goose is happy with it. :shakehead


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.