HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Conroy or Rolston? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=88689)

Balej20* 07-03-2004 01:49 AM

Conroy or Rolston?

Who's the board's favorite, and why?

Radek27 07-03-2004 01:57 AM

I like Rolston for a few reasons. He is a better skater than Conroy and can play both LW and C. I THINK Conroy only plays center. I also think Rolston is younger no? Only thing I don't like about him............X-Devil :(

Balej20* 07-03-2004 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radek27
I like Rolston for a few reasons. He is a better skater than Conroy and can play both LW and C. I THINK Conroy only plays center. I also think Rolston is younger no? Only thing I don't like about him............X-Devil :(

Yes younger by about 2 years. and I did not even realize he plays LW as well, interesting... I'm starting to like him more and more.

donpaulo 07-03-2004 06:56 AM

conroy is a more complete player than Rolston is. As evidenced by the flames run to the finals. The blues are kicking themselves for dealing him to calgary thats for sure. Many on this board are claiming conroy as a 2nd line center, which he is not. He would be the top line center for the rangers. Conroy can do it all, except perhaps stand in front and deflect, but I am sure he would do that if coach told him to.
Rolston is an excellent penalty killer and is more of a complimentary player. As such he is more of a 2nd line player.
So if the rangers want a top line player, then conroy is their main man. If they want a 2nd line player than rolston should be signed.
I prefer conroy to rolston, but would be quite happy with either. I just don't want rolston signed and put on the top line because he doesn't belong there. The experiment would fail like the Holik one did. Keep the guy playing to his strengths.
Conroy or Rolston ? yes please

dropthegloves 07-03-2004 07:03 AM

Rolston would be one of the dumbest FA signings in Ranger history. He's a perfect example of a guy that would do nothing here. His PP offense would go down the tubes without Thornton and Murray standing in front of the net to screen his shots from the point which usually don't hit the net. He is a horrific passer with little if any ability to setup players for goals

He would be hoooooorible on the Rangers. We are trying to develop players like Balej, Wiseman and perhaps Prucha, Dawes and Jessiman down the line. You aren't doing that with a stone hand fool like Rolston. So get that silly idea out of your heads

little a from da bx 07-03-2004 07:43 AM

why not both we could use a lw and a center they both fit the bill, rolston could play left wing since NYR needs one and we do need a center ( conroy ). but if i had to choose i like both, but id rather go woth rolston for the point he is 31 i think or 30 (much rather a younger guy)he can skate, he is fast, can play the point on the powerplay , with that great shot, excellent penalty killer and has a 30 goal season or 2, can put in 20 or more goals . like conroy as a learder but i think rolston wouyld be perfect fit, as do i conroy. but the age is a big factor to me younger we are better off.

Knight229 07-03-2004 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radek27

I like Rolston better, for the same reasons. But I wouldn't mind Conroy either.

BDubinskyNYR17* 07-03-2004 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight229
I like Rolston better, for the same reasons. But I wouldn't mind Conroy either.

Id take both and buyout Holik. :dunno: :banghead:

dropthegloves 07-03-2004 11:21 AM

Haven't we learned our lesson yet? Players like Rolston don't score on the Rangers because there hasn't been any playmaking center of worth since 97 when Messier and Gretzky still had something left.

YOU CAN'T ADD PLAYERS LIKE ROLSTON WITH NO PLAY MAKING CENTERS AND EXPECT THEM TO SCORE!

This concludes the lesson for today. Obviously some haven't been watching the past 7 years. How many goal scoring wings have we brought here that did nothing? Fleury before he went nutso and Jagr are great, dynamic, offensive players who can do things by themselves. Rolston is totally dependent on getting good passes. As is Kovalev. Kovalev isn't close to being a dynamic offensive player. It sickens me to hear people say that because has no chance to do anything well offensively unless he is in the perfect situation on the perfect line.

Knight229 07-03-2004 11:34 AM

Well, the Rangers better sign someone. Cuz after Jagr and Holik, Josh Green is our next best scorer with 11 points.

barnaby63 07-03-2004 11:43 AM

Craig Conroy. Is a better offensive player than Rolston and is just as good on defense. And a good guy in the locker-room.

?-Nylander-Jagr
Lundmark-Conroy-Balej
Arvedson-Holik-Ortmeyer
Murray-Betts-?

dropthegloves 07-03-2004 11:51 AM

"Craig Conroy. Is a better offensive player than Rolston and is just as good on defense. And a good guy in the locker-room."

This is one of the best comments I've read on here in over 3 weeks :clap: :highclap: :handclap:

DarthSather99 07-03-2004 12:00 PM

For off, I like both because they are both Americans. :D But if I had to choose one it would be Rolston, for his ability to play C & LW, has great speed and has already succeeded in playing in the EAST.

dropthegloves 07-03-2004 12:44 PM

Rolston would do nothing on the Rangers. He's a perfect example of a player that would fail in New York. We also don't need him when we have wings like Balej, Wiseman, Murray, Giroux, Lundmark(ughhhh. He stinks) and possibly Prucha, Dawes, Jessiman and Korpikoski in the near future, that have at least a chance to become good pro's. Even Lundmark as bad as he is still has a chance to be good.

Why on earth would we take any ice time away from Wiseman, Balej and Murray for Rolston who will be washed up in 2 years. Conroy's game is passing. He can do that for 5 more years. Rolston's game is speed and shooting. He has no clue how to pass. His assists come when they bounce off the heads of his own players.

ish 07-03-2004 01:00 PM

I like them both. I would call Conroy the better player but the fact that Rolston plays wing and center is attractive for our brutal left side. I agree that Conroy would be better suited to play on a top line. Rolston has never had to be a big top line guy. Conroy has and has produced. Also, Conroy would provide great leadership to the kids through the rough next couple years (assuming we stick to the plan).

chriss_co 07-03-2004 01:05 PM

Please go after Rolston! I hope everyone leaves Conroy off their negotiations list... that way we can resign him for less

yes.. i know i'm dreaming..

Sather Hater 07-03-2004 01:43 PM

I wouldn't mind signing either Conroy or Rolston, but I don't think either is a top line player, they are both very good 2nd or 3rd line players. Conroy might have played on the top line in Calgary, but that is just because they had no one else, he only had 8 goals, and most of his points came from giving the puck to Iginla. I don't think he would be a top line center on any other team in this league. I think they are both well rounded player's, the type of player that can help any team win. But offensively neither has ever put up top line numbers. The two of them both had career best numbers of approx 60 pts, even Petr Nedved has had a 99 point season. I think everyone is going crazy over Conroy as a free agent because the flames were this year's cinderella team and got to the finals. But hockey is a team sport and there were many, many other reasons why the flames got to the finals. I personally wouldn't mind not signing any free agents and just watch the kids play (and cross my fingers for Crosby).

Balej20* 07-03-2004 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sather Hater
I wouldn't mind signing either Conroy or Rolston, but I don't think either is a top line player, they are both very good 2nd or 3rd line players. Conroy might have played on the top line in Calgary, but that is just because they had no one else, he only had 8 goals, and most of his points came from giving the puck to Iginla.

Ok, you say that Calgary had no one else...well, last I checked, netiehr do we. They went to the Cup finals with him as their top center, we are rebuilding, im pretty sure either Rolston or Conroy would be just fine for our top line.

Prucha73 07-03-2004 02:24 PM

The bottom line is:

-Conroy got 8 goals playing on the top line with Iginla
-Rolston got 19 goals playing on a 3rd line with the likes of Axelsson and Lapointe

-Rolston is more versatile: can play LW and C and a point on the PP
-Rolston is younger, bigger, faster and has success in the East
-Rolston has a big shot and he shoots more
-both are great penalty killers

So I would take Rolston

Balej20* 07-03-2004 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prucha73
The bottom line is:

-Rolston got 19 goals playing on a 3rd line with the likes of Axelsson and Lapointe

So I would take Rolston

I would definatley take Rolston over Conroy, but at the sametime, i would not mind having conroy at all. I'd be happy with either one.

Potted Plant 07-03-2004 02:44 PM

Quote:

The bottom line is:

So I would take Rolston

But which is better for the teaching/leading role that we need more than a scoring role?

Prucha73 07-03-2004 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighlyRegardedRookie
But which is better for the teaching/leading role that we need more than a scoring role?

Who knows? I don't really think either, to be honest with you. Neither of them strikes me as a great leader or teacher, I could be wrong though.

Kodiak 07-03-2004 08:30 PM

Quote:

The bottom line is:

So I would take Rolston

I'd take Conroy because:

- Conroy is more reliable offensively. He may have only had 8 goals, but he's always been more of a playmaker than a goalscorer. Conroy can create his own chances. Rolston's only weapon is his big shot, and he tends to run hot and cold.
- Conroy is a better playmaker. We haven't had a playmaking center since the days of Gretzky and Savard. He may not mesh as well with Jagr as Rolston would, but Conroy would do wonders for the development of our young wingers. Someone like Balej wouldn't have to create all of his chances entirely on his own.
- Defensively, it's a wash. Either would greatly help our PK.
- Most importantly, Conroy is a better leader. He had been captain of the Flames until he decided that Iginla had grown enough to take the role. If he signed here, he'd be the top choice for captain (certainly better than Holik or Jagr, not that that's saying much).

donpaulo 07-03-2004 09:09 PM

as i said it all depends on which role you want the new free agent to play. If you want a top line player who can play defense, dish the puck, backcheck and be the go to guy its clearly Conroy. No doubt about it.
Rolston was never the main man anywhere he played. He skated behind thornton on the lower lines in Beantown so he never faced the other teams top checkers. Signing rolston to be a top line player is tantamount to putting holik on the the top line. The ranger fans will be howling for rolston's head when he is checked into mediocrity by john madden and keith primeau. Since they played against Thornton last year rolston would be in for a major wakeup call.
Conroy on the other hand is big, a major league skater and has decent numbers http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php3?pid=1078
If rolston is signed to play the wing, that would be great but conroy is the #1 center the rangers need not rolston.
Ideally they sign both... :banana: but I don't think that will happen. My preference is for kids on the 2nd line, which is where rolston belongs so if they sign one guy it should be conroy. Or matvichuk but that is for another thread.

Chief 07-04-2004 01:35 AM

Rolston also has a great point shot and manned the PP for Boston. He has also scored 16 shorthanded goals over the last 3 seasons. He scored 9 shorties in 01-02.

Conroy is a great effort guy who is a bona fide leader. A great example to our kids - and JAGR!

I'll take them both, thank you!