HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Can Brown Really Lead This Team To The Cup? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=887461)

kingscourt26 03-08-2011 02:23 AM

Can Brown Really Lead This Team To The Cup?
 
In the most critical stretch of the season, we have seen Dustin Brown in his shell. He is almost invisible on the ice and his demotion to the 3rd line has exposed the type of player he is without top 6 caliber players supporting him.

I know what you do in the locker room can make you a good captain but when our boys come out in the 3rd period with no motivation and Brown doesn't do anything on the ice to sway the momentum of the game, either physically or offensively, how much is he really benefiting his team?

Management felt the C was some something Brown would grow into but personally I don't think he's the right fit. He's too quite and doesn't seem to impact the momentum of the game in the locker room, on the bench or on the ice.

Your thoughts?

Zad 03-08-2011 02:30 AM

Brown hasn't even figured out his own identity. The C was neither earned nor does he merit it today. Sometimes, the ugly girl gets the crown and wins the pageant because, at the time, she was the prettiest ugly girl there.

Black Mamba 03-08-2011 02:42 AM

I agree with you, I think it might be better to take the C away from Brown and help him focus more on his game.

But if you take the C away from Brown, who do you give it to? Kopi doesn't seem like the kind of guy to lead the team off the ice, and Greene is a great locker room guy, but not the type of guy to lead the team on the ice. I'd go for Mitchell, seems like kind of a quiet guy but he's been pretty solid all year, and his presence on the team seems to make the entire D step up their game.

damacles1156 03-08-2011 02:45 AM

This again ? Really?

Has anyone ever thought of the teams reaction to striping Dustin of the C; and giving it to a Guy that hasn't even been a King for a full Year ?

Seriously....I think Dustin has earned a little more respect than that.

Some of you people are hanging on every King's loss like it was the end of the world. Go outside, take a breath , life goes on even if the Kings lose.

kingscourt26 03-08-2011 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damacles1156 (Post 31496655)
This again ? Really?

Has anyone ever thought of the teams reaction to striping Dustin of the C; and giving it to a Guy that hasn't even been a King for a full Year ?

Seriously....I think Dustin has earned a little more respect than that.

Some of you people are hanging on every King's loss like it was the end of the world. Go outside, take a breath , life goes on even if the Kings lose.

Yes this again. This is the most critical time of the season and he's nowhere to be found. There is a reason it keeps on being brought up...it's a legitimate issue and my guess is since the last time it was brought up in a big way, fans are starting to have different opinions.

Docgonzo 03-08-2011 02:55 AM

To me it seems like since they came back from the road trip, with the exception of tonight, Brownie has been mixing it up after the whistle. He hasn't been scoring but every time there was a little bit of a scuffle he was forcing his way into the middle of it and facewashing the opposing player or shoving them. I know for the longest time people complained that he wouldn't engage in this stuff, but maybe he is slowly rising to the occasion.

damacles1156 03-08-2011 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingscourt26 (Post 31496677)
Yes this again. This is the most critical time of the season and he's nowhere to be found. There is a reason it keeps on being brought up...it's a legitimate issue and my guess is since the last time it was brought up in a big way, fans are starting to have different opinions.

And Fans make ZERO of those decisions on the Kings. Thank god. Management has expressed ZERO desire to strip Brown. The team is happy he has the C.

I don't know why people even discuss this.

dogyekcoh* 03-08-2011 02:57 AM

Hell No! Captain Drown has been invisible most of the season and I don't think he will ever change.
I would rather have Willy Mitchell or Justin Williams wearing the C instead of Drown.

damacles1156 03-08-2011 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogyekcoh (Post 31496715)
Hell No! Captain Drown has been invisible most of the season and I don't think he will ever change.
I would rather have Willy Mitchell or Justin Williams wearing the C instead of Drown.

Do you even watch the Kings play ?

Off the top of my head Brown leads the team in hits, is tied for the team lead in goals. Third on the team in total points, Second on the team in plus/minus. Has as many power play points as Drew, with less time no doubt.....ETC ETC.
If Brown is invisible the rest of team is already playing Golf.


Do any of you people watch the Kings at all ? Or look up any stats at all before you call out arguably the best player on the team statistically

dogyekcoh* 03-08-2011 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damacles1156 (Post 31496758)
Do you even watch the Kings play ?

Off the top of my head Brown leads the team in hits, is tied for the team lead in goals. Third on the team in total points, Second on the team in plus/minus.
If Brown is invisible the rest of team is already playing Golf.


Do any of you people watch the Kings at all ?

I am not just watching the game. I understand how the game should be played. Brown is the worst captain in this league. ***** I rather have Kelly Buchberger as our captain than Brown. If Brown doesn't show up on the ice, he can as least be vocal. when was the last time Brown saying anything meaningful that lit up rallying up the team?
Did you see how Morrow played tonight? Or Jarome Iginla plays the last 2 months? Those are the type of captain I wish the Kings could have. Screw the hits. Hits are for show, goals are for dough.
Most of his points were from the first half. Where is he now at the crucial time? With the way things are going maybe they will be playing golf in April.

damacles1156 03-08-2011 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogyekcoh (Post 31496832)
I am not just watching the game. I understand how the game should be played. Brown is the worst captain in this league. ***** I rather have Kelly Buchberger as our captain than Brown. If Brown doesn't show up on the ice, he can as least be vocal. when was the last time Brown saying anything meaningful that lit up rallying up the team?
Did you see how Morrow played tonight? Or Jarome Iginla plays the last 2 months? Those are the type of captain I wish the Kings could have. Screw the hits. Hits are for show, goals are for dough.
Most of his points were from the first half. Where is he now at the crucial time? With the way things are going maybe they will be playing golf in April.

Since February began.

Top producers on team.

Kopitar: 4g 12A 16 pts +4

Williams 2g 8a 10pts -4

Drew 6g 8a 14 pts -4

Brown 4g 3a 7pts +2 50 Hits most in the NHL for February.

If Brown is playing poorly you should be about ready to lynch the rest of the team about now.

Still in the top producers on the team since February began.

Anymore?

You really need to look at some stats before you toss Brown under the bus.

I am going to have a small chuckle when Brown explodes again (Cause he will, Streaky player). And all of you are on his jock again .

redcard 03-08-2011 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogyekcoh (Post 31496715)
Hell No! Captain Drown has been invisible most of the season and I don't think he will ever change.
I would rather have Willy Mitchell or Justin Williams wearing the C instead of Drown.

I can't fathom how stitching a C onto the sweater of either of those players will magically evoke some sort of new abilities that will help the team win. They're both veteran players, and as we've seen with Smyth, Handzus, Scuderi, O'Donnell etc. they're all capable of leading, vocally or through on ice contributions, without the need for superficial titles and are all comfortable doing so without the fear of undermining the guys with the letters. Brown wearing the C reflects the team chemistry, the growth of the team as the youth-core become more experienced/effective players, and the relationship and commitment that Brown has made to the organization and the fans.

Do I believe that the C is dragging Brown's effectiveness down? No. The guys been here for 8 years, he was there when every single member of this team put on a Kings jersey for the first time. I can't imagine how he'd be struggling to figure out his role on this team. He's not trying to score goals because he's the Captain, he's trying to score goals because he's done it 134 times. Good luck trying to convince him that he's deviated from his playing style because of his role in the leadership of the team.

RonSwanson* 03-08-2011 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingscourt26 (Post 31496567)
In the most critical stretch of the season, we have seen Dustin Brown in his shell. He is almost invisible on the ice and his demotion to the 3rd line has exposed the type of player he is without top 6 caliber players supporting him.

I know what you do in the locker room can make you a good captain but when our boys come out in the 3rd period with no motivation and Brown doesn't do anything on the ice to sway the momentum of the game, either physically or offensively, how much is he really benefiting his team?

Management felt the C was some something Brown would grow into but personally I don't think he's the right fit. He's too quite and doesn't seem to impact the momentum of the game in the locker room, on the bench or on the ice.

Your thoughts?

What's he supposed to do? Pick the first opposing player he sees and start throwing down? :shakehead

RonSwanson* 03-08-2011 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redcard (Post 31496904)
I can't fathom how stitching a C onto the sweater of either of those players will magically evoke some sort of new abilities that will help the team win. They're both veteran players, and as we've seen with Smyth, Handzus, Scuderi, O'Donnell etc. they're all capable of leading, vocally or through on ice contributions, without the need for superficial titles and are all comfortable doing so without the fear of undermining the guys with the letters. Brown wearing the C reflects the team chemistry, the growth of the team as the youth-core become more experienced/effective players, and the relationship and commitment that Brown has made to the organization and the fans.

Do I believe that the C is dragging Brown's effectiveness down? No. The guys been here for 8 years, he was there when every single member of this team put on a Kings jersey for the first time. I can't imagine how he'd be struggling to figure out his role on this team. He's not trying to score goals because he's the Captain, he's trying to score goals because he's done it 134 times. Good luck trying to convince him that he's deviated from his playing style because of his role in the leadership of the team.

This.

People act like the C is draining his abilities. Really.

Winger23 03-08-2011 09:04 AM

While Brown was pretty invisible last night, it's more to do with his linemates than him. Smyth had a god awful game and killed any time in the zone this line had.

The better question is can the Kings win with Murray system.

Muzzinga 03-08-2011 09:07 AM

who else would be captain?

Matt Greene would be the only other viable option as far as im concerned, seems like a lateral move though

Rabid Ranger 03-08-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redcard (Post 31496904)
I can't fathom how stitching a C onto the sweater of either of those players will magically evoke some sort of new abilities that will help the team win. They're both veteran players, and as we've seen with Smyth, Handzus, Scuderi, O'Donnell etc. they're all capable of leading, vocally or through on ice contributions, without the need for superficial titles and are all comfortable doing so without the fear of undermining the guys with the letters. Brown wearing the C reflects the team chemistry, the growth of the team as the youth-core become more experienced/effective players, and the relationship and commitment that Brown has made to the organization and the fans.

Do I believe that the C is dragging Brown's effectiveness down? No. The guys been here for 8 years, he was there when every single member of this team put on a Kings jersey for the first time. I can't imagine how he'd be struggling to figure out his role on this team. He's not trying to score goals because he's the Captain, he's trying to score goals because he's done it 134 times. Good luck trying to convince him that he's deviated from his playing style because of his role in the leadership of the team.

Can someone work up an avatar with Dustin Brown's head on Superman with a C instead of the S?

JT Dutch* 03-08-2011 09:55 AM

... Maybe we should just start a sub-forum entitled "Brown Bashing" - where we can put all of these threads about Brown that pop up every time the team is going through a tough phase and certain people are looking for a scapegoat.

Brown isn't the type of player who's going to lead the team in scoring. He's also not the type of player who's going to fight a bunch of guys. He will score some, he will draw penalties, he will hit guys, he will usually play disciplined, and he will set a good example off the ice. Expect more than that, and you're just setting yourself up for frustration. There are many reasons why the Kings are where they are in the standings at this point in the season. To lay all of the inadequacies of the team at the feet of Brown just because he wears the C is over-simplistic and frankly ignorant.

There weren't many candidates for the C when he got chosen, but he's been a fine captain. Was Dave Taylor a ****ty captain because the team struggled? Was Mattias Norstrom a bad captain because of the same reason? Regardless of who happens to have that letter, it's still on the entire team and organization to turn things around right now.

redcard 03-08-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger (Post 31499093)
Can someone work up an avatar with Dustin Brown's head on Superman with a C instead of the S?

Funny....I actually made this a couple years ago

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ptainbrown.jpg

Quattro 03-08-2011 10:58 AM

<sigh>

Rabid Ranger 03-08-2011 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redcard (Post 31499841)
Funny....I actually made this a couple years ago

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ptainbrown.jpg

That is hilariously awesome.

Sydor25 03-08-2011 11:56 AM

I still have zero problems with Brown as the "C" and Kopitar as the "A". This is their team and they will have the biggest impact on the success and failure of the team. Unless Brown asks for the change, there is no reason to change it up.

etherialone 03-08-2011 12:22 PM

My problem with Brown is that I am used Captains being the toughest most hard working and completely passionate about his team guy on the team.

My favorite recent times Captain and one of my all time favorites is Messier. Now he is a unique individual but his passion and his commitment to his team's winning isn't. There have been other captains like him since he retired.

Maybe my head is too clouded with the over romanticized memories of the great captains past but to me, DB doesn't appear to lead and leave every last best part of him on the ice every night.

I could be wrong but to me that only speaks to how DB isn't what I see makes a captain.

For all I know DB might be the best locker room leader of all time, its not what I hear but beans to that, maybe what I hear is wrong.

I guess I see DB as a great ancillary player and not a go to guy who leads by stellar example.

Its just an opinion and I can easily be wrong but it is what I see.

KingPurpleDinosaur 03-08-2011 12:26 PM

its really funny how some people want to take the C from Brown and then give it to Mitchell or Williams. If I recall correclty, anytime there's been an open letter, it's gone to Handzus. So those two aren't even secondary leaders to the people in the backroom.

Anywyaas, as Handzus says, not having a letter shouldn't stop a person from being a leader in the locker room. If those gujys are real leaders, than they will do it with or without the C

JT Dutch* 03-08-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonellisghost (Post 31501692)
My favorite recent times Captain and one of my all time favorites is Messier.

... Ask Mark Messier about who influenced him the most about being a captain and a leader and he will tell you it was Wayne Gretzky.

Hardly fits in with your description of the ideal captain, doesn't it?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.