HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Time for Michael Leighton 2.0? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=887494)

orange is better 03-08-2011 08:30 AM

Time for Michael Leighton 2.0?

You knew this thread was coming.

Is it time to put leighton through reentry and see if the team magically plays better in front of him like they did last year?

I don't know if I necessarily think we should go with this notion, but can it hurt right now?

He has a 2.40 GAA a .919 SV% and 2 shutouts on an awful, awful team up there.

DUHockey9 03-08-2011 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange is better (Post 31498143)
You knew this thread was coming.

Is it time to put leighton through reentry and see if the team magically plays better in front of him like they did last year?

I don't know if I necessarily think we should go with this notion, but can it hurt right now?

Yes it can hurt because he could very well be claimed at ~750k and we'd be stuck with that dead cap space next year. (The Rangers could really use a backup.)

Spongolium* 03-08-2011 08:34 AM

Hell no. Michael leighton should be no where near this team at the moment. It's not the goaltenders fault the team infront of them is playing like ****.

I've seen Bob and Boosh left out to dry around 30 times in the last 3-4 games. While they have let up soft goals, they have also made some spectacular saves.

orange is better 03-08-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spongolium (Post 31498182)
Hell no. Michael leighton should be no where near this team at the moment. It's not the goaltenders fault the team infront of them is playing like ****.

I've seen Bob and Boosh left out to dry around 30 times in the last 3-4 games. While they have let up soft goals, they have also made some spectacular saves.

You're missing the point. In no way, shape or form am I claiming bob or bouch to be responsible for the losing streak, all though neither of them have looked anything more than average. Yes the defense has played AWFUL, but so has everybody, Goaltenders included.

Sometimes a change in a position like in goal, a team will change it's attitude and it's play, we saw it happen last season.

DUHockey9 03-08-2011 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange is better (Post 31498208)
You're missing the point. In no way, shape or form am I claiming bob or bouch to be responsible for the losing streak, all though neither of them have looked anything more than average. Yes the defense has played AWFUL, but so has everybody, Goaltenders included.

Sometimes a change in a position like in goal, a team will change it's attitude and it's play, we saw it happen last season.

But the reward is absolutely minimal...

You can push a button...you will either get a cookie or get kicked in the nuts. Are you going to push the button? I'm not. I don't need the cookie. I'm totally cool with my current snacks.

Larry44 03-08-2011 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spongolium (Post 31498182)

Agreed. Bob played very well against Toronto and Buffalo. It's not easy to fault him on any of the goals. Hartnell coughs one up the middle to McArthur whose shot hit Kulemin. Richards cheats on the draw with 10 secs left and 4 on 4. He gets beat and Pronger leaves the front of the net wide open for Phaneuf. Then O'D got out of position, but neither Briere nor Meszaros sealed off the front of the net for Boyce's GWG. I don't see how we lost that game because of goaltending. Same in Buffalo. Bob made several great saves, but was left high and dry on the goals.

Watched the first period of the Ranger game finally last night. (Saw part of the 2nd live, but turned it off to watch the Blue Jays Ex-game instead).

Giroux didn't tie up Callahan in the slot for the first goal, then, after a really awful penalty call on Richards, Pronger left Callahan standing in front of the net. Boucher had gone down, expecting a bang-bang play in front, like the first goal. He probably should have been standing up, but Pronger was so far out of position that Callahan would've had time to make a move for the far post had Boosh stayed on his feet.

The team has not been losing because of bad goaltending. They've just not had the attention to detail they need. They will get it back.

Forget Leighton unless one of them gets hurt (knock wood), then they can recall him as a emergency callup and avoid the recall waivers.

orange is better 03-08-2011 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DUHockey9 (Post 31498249)

You can push a button...you will either get a cookie or get kicked in the nuts. Are you going to push the button? I'm not. I don't need the cookie. I'm totally cool with my current snacks.

This is what I'm thinking at the moment. We need THIS team as is to work through their issues. But how about, say, if this garbage play continues for another few games. I cant see them not calling him up in that situation.

DUHockey9 03-08-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange is better (Post 31498297)
This is what I'm thinking at the moment. We need THIS team as is to work through their issues. But how about, say, if this garbage play continues for another few games. I cant see them not calling him up in that situation.

But it doesn't make ANY sense. You're taking on unnecessary risk (re-entry waivers) for ZERO upgrade.

orange is better 03-08-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DUHockey9 (Post 31498306)
But it doesn't make ANY sense. You're taking on unnecessary risk (re-entry waivers) for ZERO upgrade.

I understand that it's an unnecessary risk Fo no upgrade on paper. What I'm suggesting is that the team, for one reason or another, played much better in front of him last season when he was brought in. Again, I'm not suggesting in any way that leighton is an upgrade to bob or bouch and I never stated that I even thought they should go this direction

All I am asking is if anyone thinks there is any chance that homer hits the panic button and tries another leighton experiment

MiD 03-08-2011 08:52 AM

short answer - nope
long answer - hell no!!

JLHockeyKnight 03-08-2011 08:55 AM

If the Flyers want to win the Cup, they need to fix the current problem with the current team that could win them that Cup rather than bring in a goalie to shake things up. There's no sense in doing this, too high risk and a risk of Cap Space if they decide to explore potential FA options before the playoffs. Especially with what we've seen from Bob and Bouch, there's no reason to punish them for a slump where the whole team is having issues after they've had a strong season. It's a slump, they'll get over it.

dats81 03-08-2011 09:14 AM

Leights might steal a game, just because he is big enough to fully cover the net against weak opponents, and the whole team may play better and go on a hot streak.

At the same time this may mean more distraction in the locker room and a questionable message sent to Boosh and Bob. Last but not least Leighton may be claimed by some other team.

Right now this is not an option imho. But if they can't find a way to win a game this week, there is not much else left they can try...

infidelappel* 03-08-2011 09:26 AM

God no.

Leighton will most likely get snatched on reentry waivers. Several teams could use a decent backup for 750k and wouldn't mind picking him up, and we can't afford to burn 750k of dead space.

Plus, Leighton sucks.

So the answer is no, no, no, and more no.

And also, no.

flyersfan187 03-08-2011 09:31 AM

The whole team seemed to play a better team game when Leighton was in there over Boosh last season, but I think Leighton would get claimed if put on re entry waivers

Bob Clarke Fan Club 03-08-2011 09:34 AM

Quote:

What kind of cookie and can I wear a goalie cup?

Cartsiephan* 03-08-2011 10:10 AM

Do you still want him??

infidelappel* 03-08-2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club (Post 31498879)
What kind of cookie and can I wear a goalie cup?

Chocolate chip, no. You are risking a full-on sackshot.

orange is better 03-08-2011 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cartsiephan (Post 31499406)
Do you still want him??

Well, considering i never said I wanted him in the first place... This post doesn't really change much.

infidelappel* 03-08-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange is better (Post 31499562)
Well, considering i never said I wanted him in the first place... This post doesn't really change much.

Either you do want him, or you're trying really hard to play devil's advocate in a situation where it makes little sense.

Let's just put it this way: it better not happen.

zarley zelepukin 03-08-2011 10:28 AM

Nope.

Jester 03-08-2011 10:36 AM

Awesome.

They're holding the no. 1 seed in the Conference, we hit a rough patch... and:

http://castlescorner.net/wordpress/w...nic-Button.jpg

phillyfanatic 03-08-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

That made me laugh. Classic

phillyfanatic 03-08-2011 10:43 AM

I am a big Leighton fan, but the decision has been made and there is no turning back now. If Leighton is called up, it is a STUPID decision, and Homer hasn't made that mistake since Randy Jones. Leighton WILL get claimed for $750,000 and that likely means no Leino next year.

We stuck with Bob/Boucher and I am perfectly fine with that. I think it was the right decision at the trade deadline. If we don't win it all and the reason is the goalies, then we will let Boucher go this offseason and take a run at Vokoun. But, that means this team has to change.....he isn't coming for 1.5M.

GoneFullHextall 03-08-2011 11:33 AM

NO. Please just stop. He is a horrible ****ing goalie. He belongs in the AHL. The guy had one good streak his entire NHL career. take that out and hes a below average ****** goalie.

dbr2 03-08-2011 11:45 AM

And, this is why I hate everything, like all of you guys.