HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Kings Article: Drew Doughty the player, not the person (How's he doing this year vs. last?) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=887740)

TonySCV 03-08-2011 06:55 PM

Drew Doughty the player, not the person (How's he doing this year vs. last?)

Quisp provides some stats gold here along with his thoughts on Doughty in general:

http://www.jewelsfromthecrown.com/20...i-think-i-know
  • Points per 60: Last season, 1.10; this season, 1.09. Verdict: THE SAME.
  • +-/60: Last season, 0.76; this season, 0.76. Verdict: THE SAME.
  • Relative Corsi (+- of shot "events" relative to team): 5.5; this season, 8.8. Verdict: MUCH IMPROVEMENT.
  • Team shooting % when he's on the ice: last season, 8.92; this season, 10.04. Verdict: IMPROVEMENT.
  • Team save % when he's on the ice: last season, .921; this season, .914. Verdict: slightly worse.
  • PDO (combined SH% and SV%): last season,1010; this season, 1014. Verdict: THE SAME.
  • Offensive zone starts (this is a measure of the coach's trust; the higher the number, the less likely the coach puts you out for defensive zone draws): last season, 56.2%; this season, 54.2%. Verdict: MORE TRUST.
  • O zone finishes (where the face-off ends up when he's on the ice): last season, 49.7%; this season, 53.4%. Verdict: MUCH IMPROVEMENT.
  • Penalties taken: last season 0.8 per 60; this season, 1.0 per 60. Verdict: slightly worse.
  • Penalties drawn: last season, 0.7 per 60; this season, 0.7. Verdict: THE SAME.
  • Last season QUALCOMP (Quality of Competition) .024; this season, QUALCOMP .025. Verdict: THE SAME.
  • Last season, QUALTEAM (Quality of Teammates) .096; this season, QUALTEAM .024. Verdict: WTF!

"Verdict: HE'S NOT HAVING A SUB-PAR SEASON. He's being trusted more to play a more defensive role and is playing with significantly worse teammates. And the only negative effect of this...is...well, every eleventh game he takes an extra penalty...and...he's also on the ice for an additional goal-against for every 125 shots-against, or about every eight or nine games."

Reading the rest of the article the point Quisp reaches is that essentially the pressure is really on, Doughty is pressing and making poor decisions by trying to do too much.

Mattias 03-08-2011 07:04 PM

But...but....we got rid of Randy Jones!!!

TonySCV 03-08-2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattias (Post 31511290)
But...but....we got rid of Randy Jones!!!

:)

Unfortunately it means the other forwards (and other D) that Doughty is on the ice with this year have significantly worse +- #'s than the group he was out on the ice with last year. Really worse. "WTF" worse in Quisp's opinion.

They average the relative +/- of a player's teammates based on how much ice time they had together to get that Quality of Teammates #.

The perception is that Doughty is struggling. Stats-wise, he's not, but it appears that he is because the guys he's on the ice with are struggling significantly more than the guys he was on the ice with last year.

That, and he's pressing too hard as evidenced by the weight-of-the-world-on-his-shoulders errant pass(es) he made last night. That's not the Drew we know. That's Drew 1. caring a LOT and 2. trying to do too much to get the PP working. The PP sucking ass doesn't help.

Duc620 03-08-2011 07:16 PM

Quisp is the best...

no name 03-08-2011 08:26 PM

Did I read that he finished off the O Zone? What a dick.

KINGS17 03-08-2011 08:30 PM

Norris Trophy Nominations: Last Season: ONE This Season: ZERO

Josh Deitell 03-08-2011 08:32 PM

This is one of those situation where stats aren't everything. With giveaways for example, it's perfectly fair to say he's given up the puck with the same frequency this year, but they've led to more dangerous chances for the other team than previously.

etherialone 03-08-2011 08:33 PM

Drew struggled a bit at the start of the season and while I think he is having a good season and in fact, if you consider he is only 21yo he is having a shockingly great season but he handled his early struggles and has gone on to have a solid season.

I think that he doesn't seem to be as dynamic as often as I am used to but I wouldn't say that he is having anything other than a good season. He is capable of great is my only problem with DD8, I want to see him have great season after great season.

If his skills weren't among the very elite in the league I would say he was doing very well but we know that he has the skills to possibly be on of the best D of all time. I just can't wait until we see him reach that level and then remain there.

JT Dutch* 03-08-2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonySCV (Post 31510893)
Reading the rest of the article the point Quisp reaches is that essentially the pressure is really on, Doughty is pressing and making poor decisions by trying to do too much.

... I'm glad someone else has taken the time to analyze the same numbers about Doughty that I have this season. I've said that he's improved his defensive game quite a bit, and as that has happened, the team has become better defensively as a whole.

I still think he should be paired up with Scuderi instead of Mitchell. Nothing against Mitchell; he's a good player. I just feel Doughty has developed better chemistry with Scuderi.

Andrew Knoll 03-09-2011 04:41 PM

Too much has been made of his "decline" this year but you cannot watch him and say he's sharp or as dangerous on a nightly basis.

There was a stretch in the middle of the year where he was finding a groove. The great players, you can SEE the game slow down for them, and we were seeing that where he'd pick his spots well jumping into the play or handling the puck for just an instant longer than he normally should have. He was hitting the net a lot more and the team was scoring more goals as a result.

Early in the year, we didn't see that, lately we haven't seen it much. I don't know how you quantify that in numbers but it's hard to deny watching games.

Josh is also right about untimely errors. Those were an issue for Jack early in the year when he had a string of minuses, seemed as though calamity was stalking him. Drew hasn't had a stretch like but just little ones where a bad decision overhandling the puck or a bad decision on the backcheck leads to a goal or a big chance.

Flour Child 03-10-2011 10:08 PM

does Quisp post here?

Reaper45 03-10-2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT Dutch (Post 31517942)
... I'm glad someone else has taken the time to analyze the same numbers about Doughty that I have this season. I've said that he's improved his defensive game quite a bit, and as that has happened, the team has become better defensively as a whole.

I still think he should be paired up with Scuderi instead of Mitchell. Nothing against Mitchell; he's a good player. I just feel Doughty has developed better chemistry with Scuderi.

Absolutely. I like Mitchell and love him on this team, but I wish we had 2 Scuderi's. One for Doughty to be paired with and one for Johnson.