HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   we have to draft a forward (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=889130)

Caseus 03-10-2011 03:31 PM

we have to draft a forward

Ever since the Islanders gave a 15 year contract to Dipietro, elite and franchise players have been getting locked in to extremely long term or career-ending contracts. The free agency market reflects the changing reality: fewer and fewer top-level players are available on July 1. It is still possible to trade for players who haven't been locked into these long-term contracts, but given the current trends that will become less and less likely.

If we want an elite player we have to draft one.

Defensemen take the longest to develop and are therefore more valuable than forwards. Given the opportunity to draft a #1 defenseman it's hard not to do so. But what if you've got 2 or 3 potential #1's, or at least a few top 2 defensemen in your system? If you want an elite forward you have to draft one. We've got the d-men. We have nothing in the way of forwards. Absolutely nothing.

If we want an elite forward in the new NHL we have to draft one. We might get lucky with a trade, but we can't count on it. Not anymore. We have to draft a forward with our first pick. We don't have a choice.

And don't say we'll draft a defenseman and then trade one of our prospects for an elite forward prospect. Defensemen take much longer to develop, so in the short term elite forwards will be much more valuable than a defenseman who might someday become a #1.

We need RNH, Landeskog or Couturier. Not Larsson.

The Waffler 03-10-2011 03:32 PM

Yes, a forward would be the priority.

karlskiller 03-10-2011 04:15 PM

i know people are saying to go Larsson because he's the obvious BPA but we really need a forward. also the consensus is that the top 4 prospects are interchangable
so how is Larsson the clear cut BPA.

Remember the last time a Defenceman went #1? hindsight is always 20/20 but if it's any indication i'd much rather a Backstrom or Toews than a Johnsson.

Jared Cowen 2010 03-10-2011 04:20 PM

100% Agreed.

SENSational Sens Fan 03-10-2011 04:27 PM

<===== please!

ReginKarlssonLehner 03-10-2011 04:46 PM

If Larsson is on the board, you picking him 200% of the time.

You always want to get the BEST possible player from the draft, one that can be a superstar and has the most likely chance of getting there.

That's Larsson.

Cujomi 03-10-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner (Post 31572748)
If Larsson is on the board, you picking him 200% of the time.

You always want to get the BEST possible player from the draft, one that can be a superstar and has the most likely chance of getting there.

That's Larsson.

That's debatable. So far all four of the top four have had their turns being 1st overall.

dpw 03-10-2011 05:17 PM

The problem is, we don't have a top defensman comming up or on the team either.

If Larson is available, you take him.

karlskiller 03-10-2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpw (Post 31573472)

you don't necessarily need a true #1 D-man. As long as you have a whole bunch of solid citizens that each do there job. a defense core that had Karlsson and Rundblad providing the offense. Cowen, Phillips and Lee providing shutdown play. and Wiercioch and D.Smith providing all around play would be really effective even without the presence of a ''top defensman.''

Lockz 03-10-2011 06:03 PM

Ir Larsson's available but we want a forward, there's always the possibility of trading down one or two (depending on which pick we get) so we get a forward plus a bonus. Even if the other team doesn't take him (although the Sens would probably have been told they did to consider trading) there should be a few forwards we'd be interested in.

Jared Cowen 2010 03-10-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpw (Post 31573472)

I disagree, Karlsson, Rundblad and Cowen could potentially make our bluelines one of the best in the league.

SDhybrid47 03-10-2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jared Cowen 2010 (Post 31574532)
I disagree, Karlsson, Rundblad and Cowen could potentially make our bluelines one of the best in the league.

agreed, we have those 3 and some vets like Phillips to hold down the fort...but whats the point if we have nobody to score goals...

its been clear for a while now that this team needs scoring, the only way we're gonna see some scoring is if a star forward gets into the mix

i also think that with Spezza pretty well in his prime...we need to get him a finisher NOW, we cant let his playmaking abilities go to waste like this

Ishdul 03-10-2011 06:36 PM

We certainly don't HAVE to. There's plenty of space available for Larsson and while I like Karlsson/Cowen/Rundblad for the future, it's far from a foolproof plan and Larsson/Karlsson/Cowen/Rundblad would be just that much better. We don't know how any of those guys will develop and I'm not *especially* confident in the ability of any one of Karlsson, Cowen or Rundblad to become a #1 defenseman on a contending team.

And you don't ever draft for need in the NHL. It's a fool's game.

Lonnie Loach 03-10-2011 06:47 PM

I believe you must get full value for your draft position. Always pick the best player available. If you want to fill a need then trade down, get back an asset, and pick the player who fits in the lower slot. And if a trade cannot be made, you pick the BPA, develop a strength and make a trade later on. Like St. Louis -- Rundblad for Tarasenko

FrontenacSens 03-10-2011 09:42 PM

We really need a forward..... i hope Landeskog

dpw 03-11-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jared Cowen 2010 (Post 31574532)

I disagree 100%

Karlson is the cause of more goals against then for.
Cowen has bust written all over his face.
you like most sens fans overrate our prospects big time.

senswon 03-11-2011 12:39 PM

----obviously you haven't been paying attention then.

TheHMan 03-11-2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpw (Post 31594964)
I disagree 100%

Karlson is the cause of more goals against then for.
you like most sens fans overrate our prospects big time.

Yeah the problem though is that after we draft Larsson he'll become overrated by Sens fans and he won't project to be a top Defenseman anymore. :sarcasm:

kyle747 03-11-2011 02:48 PM

We need scoring forwards. If there is one available we have to take him. Unless there is a huge drop off after Larsson.

Fenix Rises 2026 03-11-2011 03:03 PM

We can make room for Larsson if he's the consensus best pick.

Altimus 03-12-2011 09:02 AM

were not gonna get the first pick anyways since we keep winning games.

Rysto 03-12-2011 09:12 AM

Drafting for need over BPA got us Brian Lee over Anze Kopitar. At the time, we were one of the higher scoring teams in the league with an extremely deep forward corps. Two years later we were dying for secondary scoring in the finals.

BPA. Always. Hockey prospects take too long to develop for a team to even know what their needs are going to be. You address needs through free agency and through trades, because you fill your need immediately.

Nabokov20 03-12-2011 11:19 AM

The thing with drafting by need is that you might be kicking yourself at some point down the road.

Fenix Rises 2026 03-12-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nabokov20 (Post 31615320)
The thing with drafting by need is that you might be kicking yourself at some point down the road.

Exactly. This guy is going to be on our team for a lot longer than a few seasons. Think how much our team has turned over in just the past couple seasons. Take the best available.

aragorn 03-12-2011 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rysto (Post 31613867)
Drafting for need over BPA got us Brian Lee over Anze Kopitar. At the time, we were one of the higher scoring teams in the league with an extremely deep forward corps. Two years later we were dying for secondary scoring in the finals.

BPA. Always. Hockey prospects take too long to develop for a team to even know what their needs are going to be. You address needs through free agency and through trades, because you fill your need immediately.

This.