HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Polls - (hockey-related only) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Fire Bettman, Campbell, Murphy, reshuffle the board of governers and its head (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=889510)

jean004 03-11-2011 12:59 AM

Fire Bettman, Campbell, Murphy, reshuffle the board of governers and its head

Bettman has to go, Campbell has to go, Murphy has to go, the whole leadership/board has to go/be revamped.

The game is sinking, and becoming more and more violent by the day, we are simply waiting for a death to happen. If these guys won't go on their own, which is highly unlikely, then we need to force them out.

There needs to be protests happening every Saturday (a good day as people don't have to take time off from work) at every rink where a game is played or even better yet, in every NHL city to get the message accross. How do we make that happen? The NHL needs to get the message that the FANS make the league happen, and that without them, there is no league. As with any other business, they need to treat their employees with respect and ensure that they are working in a safe environment. More importantly, they need to know that millions of kids, playing or not playing the game are watching their product and learning from it, applying it to their daily lives. The NHL is not the WWF or the MMA. These things need to stop, and when they occur they need to be punished severely.

Secondly, stop watching, stop going to games, and stop using products of any NHL sponsors until they withdraw their names, until enough pressure is put in place to overhaul the NHL leadership. Eventually, with $$$ not coming in, owners (the NHL shareholders) will force these guys out.

The demands from the protest:
- new commissioner
- new vice-presidents
- new/revised rule book, ensuring player respect and safety in the game
- penalties based on the action and result, not the intent, the history etc.

The NHL should name a new commissioner, who is impartial, I would think of names like Lemieux or Yzerman, but they already have allegiance so conflict of interest. Wayne Gretzky, Shanahan, an ex player who is highly regarded, respected by both fans and players and has always shown a high level of integrity come to mind.

Then a committee of respectable hockey people need to be put in place to put in place rules to avoid these types of things, to respect the fans, ensure that our children will not grow up playing the game thinking these types of incidents are ok, and lastly but most importantly, protect the players.

Anybody on the board of the NHL, commissioner, vice-presidents, those in charge of the referees and disciplinary actions CANNOT hold ties whatsoever to a team. if you kid plays in the NHL, then you need to provide your resignation. If you are a player, coach or owner, you cannot be named to any of the posts above.

Its time this stops. Enough players have already suffered. I cannot/will not have my future children play/watch hockey if this is the game that is being taught. The NHL and the game of hockey is becoming a joke of league, and the integrety of this great game is at hand (has been for years).

dubey 03-11-2011 01:01 AM

No thanks

Montreal Shadow 03-11-2011 01:02 AM

That thread will get lock. Though I gotta say hockey fans are kinda annoying for always preferring the status quo.

rea 03-11-2011 01:02 AM

Is it just me or did i just read that bettman signed a new 5 year deal last november already? :(

Lexus 03-11-2011 01:03 AM

In case anyone thought the commissioner was going somewhere: Bettman's new contract: http://t.co/PZwKJn6

XX 03-11-2011 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rea (Post 31588448)
Is it just me or did i just read that bettman signed a new 5 year deal last november already? :(

Wonder why that is? Oh, that's right, hockey is doing better than ever.

hockeyfreak7 03-11-2011 01:13 AM

NO.

You dont like the game? Stop watching it. We dont need to here about your self righteous plan to boycott the NHL if they dont do something about "headshots".

This has become a joke at this point. People get hurt. Players know the risks. Fans should become aware of them as well.

EDIT: And anyone who says the game is getting "more violent" is about as thick headed as they come. I mean, seriously? Have you not heard anything about hockey in the 50s, 60s, 70s and even as recently as the 80s? The game has become a lot more tame in the 21st century. Some unfortunate injuries dont change that. With more size and speed comes more risk, not necessarily more responsibility.

CASUAL KEV 03-11-2011 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexus (Post 31588462)
In case anyone thought the commissioner was going somewhere: Bettman's new contract: http://t.co/PZwKJn6

Ouch. I can only hope Campbell is turfed now. He is the most corrupt after all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 (Post 31588581)
NO.

You dont like the game? Stop watching it. We dont need to here about your self righteous plan to boycott the NHL if they dont do something about "headshots".

This has become a joke at this point. People get hurt. Players know the risks. Fans should become aware of them as well.

You don't have to like the management to enjoy watching the game of hockey.

DungeonK 03-11-2011 01:16 AM

Bettman is doing a great job growing the sport, is representing the owners' wishes well, has positioned the league for its most lucrative TV contract in history and the game is as exciting a it has ever been.

Colin Campbell and Mike Murphy have blown over half the disciplinary decisions over the past two seasons, sometimes quite spectacularly as in the case of Chara and deserve to lose their jobs immediately.

ThankYouBasedGod 03-11-2011 01:17 AM

Campbell really needs to be let go or given a different position with the league, no doubt.

Jeffrey Lebowski 03-11-2011 01:17 AM

Quote:

NO.

EDIT: And anyone who says the game is getting "more violent" is about as thick headed as they come. I mean, seriously? Have you not heard anything about hockey in the 50s, 60s, 70s and even as recently as the 80s? The game has become a lot more tame in the 21st century. Some unfortunate injuries dont change that. With more size and speed comes more risk, not necessarily more responsibility.

You said it and you said it well. I'd disagree to a very tiny extent on some things but overall, this is right on.

sewellda 03-11-2011 01:20 AM

JustAHabFan 03-11-2011 01:22 AM

Quote:

NO.

May I ask how long you have been watching hockey?

Mayor Bee 03-11-2011 01:26 AM

Talk about moving targets.

First Bettman and his group are the most evil thing ever for daring to think a little bit outside of the box and change "what didn't need changed".

Now when they dig in their heels a little bit, they're ignoring what needs to be changed.

The funny thing to me is that for all these years, it was supposed to be American owners and American sponsors that would be the death of "traditional" hockey. Who's leading this current charge?

RStar* 03-11-2011 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rea (Post 31588448)

Good. I am happy with him.

Jeffrey Lebowski 03-11-2011 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAHabFan (Post 31588710)

May I ask how this is relevant? Opinions differ, doesn't mean they're incorrect. I know many people who have watched and played hockey their whole lives but are otherwise idiots in the hockey world.

hockeyfreak7 03-11-2011 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAHabFan (Post 31588710)

Long enough to understand that the "integrity of the game" is not being compromised.

Hockey has witnessed things much uglier and more gruesome than the Chara incident or even the Bertuzzi incident.

As a Habs fan, I would expect you to understand the history of the sport and what actions some of your deified players committed long ago. As a Flyers fan, I know exactly about the dirty history of hockey. If you think for a second that players today have dirtier intentions than the players of previous eras than you are sadly misinformed.

donutz0r 03-11-2011 01:38 AM

post I quoted was deleted

thadd 03-11-2011 02:44 AM

Why should the same person be allowed to hold onto this job for such a long period of time? Especially considering the lack of consistency from Campbell over the years. What a joke.

danishh 03-11-2011 04:52 AM

league discipline is what the NHL BOG and GM's want it to be.

You're not going to get rid of either of those groups.

So, yes, NHL discipline needs to change, but blaming bettman, murphy, or campbell is just looking for a scapegoat. The issue is much deeper than that, and the only way to solve it is a concerted effort between the owners, the GMs, and the PA.

Gormo 03-11-2011 05:17 AM

Hopefully Bettman will soon be able to stop lying about the situation in Phoenix that results in the pouring of tax payer money down the drain.

And for the first time during his tenure he may do the unthinkable and move a team from a city that is disinterested with hockey to a city that loves it.

And ill try to hold my vomit when I hear the Bettmaniacs praise their hero.

Danish Pastry 03-11-2011 10:27 PM

hockey is doing well... keep him on... some changes should be made but overall the game is better than in a long time... its fast physical and overall just fun to watch right now...

Finlandia WOAT 03-11-2011 10:36 PM

Your 5 paragraph post offers no evidence on the connection between Bettman and the Board of Governors, and any of the calamities that you described.

On top of that, Wayne Gretzky????? I know he's a legend and probably the greatest to ever play, but the dude had a huge part in killing hockey in Arizona.

Big Phil 03-11-2011 11:14 PM

[QUOTE=jean004;31588405]
Quote:

Bettman has to go, Campbell has to go, Murphy has to go, the whole leadership/board has to go/be revamped.

The game is sinking, and becoming more and more violent by the day, we are simply waiting for a death to happen. If these guys won't go on their own, which is highly unlikely, then we need to force them out.
Quote:

Its time this stops. Enough players have already suffered. I cannot/will not have my future children play/watch hockey if this is the game that is being taught. The NHL and the game of hockey is becoming a joke of league, and the integrety of this great game is at hand (has been for years)
On the History of Hockey board there is a list of players in hockey who have died on the ice. The latest is Don Sanderson from a fight. These are very isolated incidents much like the Chara hit. It happens so rarely and when it does there is no reason to act like the world collapsed. The earthquake in Japan, now THAT'S more important

A little bit over the top isn't it? You won't have your children watch hockey? I did when I was a kid. The kicker is that there was hitting and violence and fighting back then too. I somehow survived.

Here's the difference. When Mark Messier elbowed a guy just for looking at him the wrong way there wasn't the internet or even replays at every conceivable angle. The game wasn't overanalyzed like it is today. Next week there will be something new, I promise. Last week it was all about Trevor Gillies. Who is he now? This stuff is all in the heat of the moment. People are incredibly naive. Let's put up to 12 grown men on an enclosed ice rinks with sticks in their hands. But if anyone gets hurt, well, that will be all she wrote!

um 03-11-2011 11:30 PM

[QUOTE=jean004;31588405]

The NHL should name a new commissioner, who is impartial, I would think of names like Lemieux or Yzerman, but they already have allegiance so conflict of interest. Wayne Gretzky, Shanahan, an ex player who is highly regarded, respected by both fans and players and has always shown a high level of integrity come to mind.
/QUOTE]

you do realize this is a business right? i would much rather have a real business man like bettman in charge then someone respectable like yzerman or gretzky in charge who for all we know could be complete idiots