HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Ottawa Sun - Praising Murray - Discuss (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=889589)

SensFanX10 03-11-2011 10:06 AM

Ottawa Sun - Praising Murray - Discuss

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hock.../17574911.html

HSF 03-11-2011 10:07 AM

Anderson agents wants Murray as gm

Suiteness 03-11-2011 10:11 AM

Don Brennan with Murray's junk firmly entrenched in his mouth? Nothing new here.

Did people see this gem in there?

Quote:

But the very important rebuilding job has been started by Murray, and expect that he’ll remain in charge of it, with the coaching responsibilities handed to a Melnyk man, Dave Cameron.
:shakehead

HSF 03-11-2011 10:13 AM

i think ppl debunked the Cameron thing cause he was already with Bingo before?

Indy on the Road 03-11-2011 10:21 AM

We've already tried the whole Canada U20 coach thing. Ugh.

Afro Thunder* 03-11-2011 10:29 AM

If Cameron is our next coach, I will do something........bad.

ben3001 03-11-2011 10:32 AM

Cameron is absolutely the last person I want to see as a coach. Hartsburg was a complete and utter failure but at least he was able to win a WJC. Cameron was out-coached twice now in WJC and doesn't show any sign of having the make-up of a good coach
:shakehead

OgieO 03-11-2011 10:32 AM

Can't say Cameron impressed me at all in the WJHC. Not fair to judge him solely on that, but his team totally lost composure and I strongly disagree with his tactics in the third period.

But I don't see his jr team so I know my opinion doesn't count for much.

Marble 03-11-2011 10:40 AM

Meh. Just another Ottawa Sun opinion paper as a player agent tries to get the best deal for his client.

I can't believe people pay Don Brennan to write.

IHWR 03-11-2011 10:43 AM

Murray has done an awesome job since say...December? He's a great guy to spearhead the rebuild.

It's also decent insight into how the team is run. Ottawa has really come off as a destination where players want to come...which could partly explain why Gonchar (who was actually a sought after free agent) chose Ottawa.

They did right by Fisher sending him where he wanted to go, and flipped Kelly and Campoli to contenders. They also retained Phillips since he wanted to stay.

Murray has caught a lot of **** for his FA signings...and rightfully so...most of them didn't work out. But he's always had an eye for young talent and drafting, so he's a great guy to turn things around.

Rooverick* 03-11-2011 10:56 AM

WHEN Murray signs Anderson, it will go down as one of the best managerial moves of the decade in the NHL.

Turning Elliott into top flight NHL goaltending is sheer brilliance.

I know the haters can't bring themselves to give Murray credit, but he is the right man to lead a rebuild and the Sens are lucky to have him.

Legend Killer 03-11-2011 10:57 AM

I have been very critical of Murray in the past... I do believe drafting and player development are his strengths...He has failed at putting this team over the top, but maybe he is the right guy to start it from the bottom.

I am having a dispute about Anderson's agents comments with my buddy now. I am saying don't overreact by what one agent is saying, he is just posturing and buttering Murray up.

I would say that the last 2 "major" FA signings by Murray have been based solely on dollars. Kovalev basically said it and Gonchar wasnt getting a 3rd year from Pittsburgh so....? Those deals were just overspending. Its like saying Glen Sather is an awesome GM because he signed Wade Redden.

If Anderson likes the city and team so much, thats great...Ottawa has always been known as a "first class" organization. I don't think that would change whether Murray was here or not.

enviro61 03-11-2011 11:19 AM

This guy has more lives than a cat. How many guys/coaches must fall ont he sword before he takes it. I never understand why the shelf life of a GM far exceeds that of a coach. Coaches are like footsoldiers in a war, first guys in the line of fire.

pepty 03-11-2011 11:21 AM

Don Brennan has been lobbying hard for Murray for months.

Its pretty presumptuous of Anderson and his agent to join in,I can
only hope they aren't arrogant enough to think they can dictate who
Ottawa's GM should be.

But it would be great to see Anderson signed here and if that happens and his play holds up it will be looked at as Murray's best trade by far, though the competion is not that strong.

No to Cameron. Lets hope his team goes down hard in the Memorial Cup playoffs which might dissuade his being foisted on the Sens.

enviro61 03-11-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooverick (Post 31592808)
WHEN Murray signs Anderson, it will go down as one of the best managerial moves of the decade in the NHL.

Turning Elliott into top flight NHL goaltending is sheer brilliance.

I know the haters can't bring themselves to give Murray credit, but he is the right man to lead a rebuild and the Sens are lucky to have him.

So does this mean if he doesn't re-sign Anderson and it continues to worsen our draft position, it was the worst move in Sens history?

Comely 03-11-2011 11:22 AM

Murray is a good builder GM but he is bad with competetive teams it seems. That being said I only have one request if he remains the GM. Can we hire an assistant GM whose sole responsibility is to hire the next coach so Murray can be not involved.

Rooverick* 03-11-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enviro61 (Post 31593287)
So does this mean if he doesn't re-sign Anderson and it continues to worsen our draft position, it was the worst move in Sens history?

I'll be sure to be ready for your post praising Murray when he does sign Anderson.

Do Make Say Think 03-11-2011 11:24 AM

I'd be fine with keeping Murray for one more year: he's got his hands on the rebuild, let him complete what he started and once all the pieces are in place let someone else take over.

Tuna99 03-11-2011 11:25 AM

Just the headline and the actual quote he attributes to Anderso (he puts it in auotation marks) in the article tells us everything we need to know about Brennans' wiritng or journalsim skills if that is what we can call them.

The agent is small time and I'm sure if Paul Fenton is our next GM he'd say the exact same thing about him.

The part hwere you know the agent is out of touch is when he says Murray has been doing an awesome job.

Guess he hasn;t checked the NHl standings the last 4 years.

2CHAINZ 03-11-2011 12:17 PM

Murray has sick stamina almost Condra like

CanadianHockey 03-11-2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patizzie (Post 31594379)
Murray has sick stamina almost Condra like

:laugh:

enviro61 03-11-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooverick (Post 31593331)
I'll be sure to be ready for your post praising Murray when he does sign Anderson.

I already said the trade was great. Unlike most here I am capable of both criticism and praise of Murray. I don't consider myself to be so weak as to have to either love or hate. Though generally on the whole I have disagreed with the majority of his moves I remain rational...you?

Leachman 03-11-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enviro61 (Post 31593249)
This guy has more lives than a cat. How many guys/coaches must fall ont he sword before he takes it. I never understand why the shelf life of a GM far exceeds that of a coach. Coaches are like footsoldiers in a war, first guys in the line of fire.

Coaching is a tactical role. The GM's is strategic and visionary.

A strategy as part of a vision takes place over 5 years or more. For this reason, the strategy outlives the personnel on the front lines (coaches, sometimes several, go before those who make strategy).

Someone can be evaluated as successfully executing strategy even though there are tactical errors. The strategy accounts for tactical and strategic error, and incorporates contingencies and course adjustments.

On top of this, humans are fallible. People make mistakes. While the little people scream and call for heads over tactical or strategic errors (which are natural matters of course), the strategist who continues to execute against vision perseveres.

Unless there is disagreement on strategy or vision, or unless the owner believes the strategy is ill or is being poorly carried out (on a strategic level, not a tactical level), no changes are necessary if the owner and GM are of similar mind.

Simple.

swiftwin 03-11-2011 12:58 PM

Yea, any GM should be given atleast 5 years before even considering removing him. He needs time to mold the team to his liking. His big name free agent signing were stop-gap solutions (that failed), while he was truly building the team from the ground up in the background. The team is looking in far far greater shape for the future than when he took it over.

Coaching is completely different.

Minister of Offence 03-11-2011 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftwin (Post 31595209)
Yea, any GM should be given atleast 5 years before even considering removing him. He needs time to mold the team to his liking. His big name free agent signing were stop-gap solutions (that failed), while he was truly building the team from the ground up in the background. The team is looking in far far greater shape for the future than when he took it over.

Coaching is completely different.

As far as the free agents go, it just might have sounded like this (although it may not have)

BM: You know, these guys aren't certainly going to work, you know.
Euge: Either that or rebuild, we aren't rebuilding.

With all the players that left for their own reasons and probably leaving regardless of who was GM...we were eventually screwed. He's not a bad guy to have in this situation.