HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Who want Selanne? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=88966)

Freaky Habs Fan 07-04-2004 01:06 PM

Who want Selanne?

It seem that all the big UFA name like Palfy, Demitra, Kovalev, Kariya and many other all rumored to go on team like Toronto, Detroit, Vancouver...There's no rumor about a UFA comming to Montreal so I was wondering if any of you would like to see the Habs sign Teemu Selanne. I think he would be a nice winger for Koivu. I'm pretty sure there's more gaz in his tank and he still can score 25 goals. He would probably not cost to much and if there any of you who says he didn't have a great seaon on a team like Colorado, well, he was playing on the third line so put him on the first with Koivu and he will do the job.

RE-HABS 07-04-2004 01:11 PM

There is no rumors of UFA's coming to Montreal because Gainey doesn't let the media or others know his cards.

No one saw Kovalev coming here at the deadline because of Gaineys ability of being tight lipped, same will be in the UFA hunt too.

I'm sure he is putting feelers out there, it is when you hear the signing when you will say wow I didn't see that coming. ;)

RavenX 07-04-2004 01:13 PM

Kovalev is top priority in my opinion. If they still have money, get Selanne signed for one year (if there is a season). Personally, I don't think many of the prospects are ready yet for the top two lines.

Kovalev-Koivu-Selanne
Zednik-Ribs-Ryder

That would be a great top two lines.

gohabsgo2010 07-04-2004 01:15 PM

These days... I'd take salami instead.

Raider917 07-04-2004 01:17 PM

how much cheaper than kovalev is he? tsn have his last deal at 5.8. if kovalev isnt re-signed cause hes too expensive, then sellanne propably wont be signed either. there are a lot of guys there under 4 Million that would be good to have.
getting kariya only at 1.2 and murray at 3.85 or ricci at 3.0 , would be as cheap as getting selanne or re-signing kovalev.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=9229

Jeffrey 07-04-2004 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jl.roberts
These days... I'd take salami instead.

:shakehead
Selanne (if he come cheap) would be a perfect fit for us!!
he's higher than Kovalev on my list of UFA.. :amazed: :banana:

Guy LaFleur 07-04-2004 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RE-HABS
No one saw Kovalev coming here at the deadline because of Gaineys ability of being tight lipped, same will be in the UFA hunt too.

Actually, I called the trade five days before it happened on a public forum. So... not everyone didn't think it was coming.

Guy LaFleur 07-04-2004 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider917
how much cheaper than kovalev is he? tsn have his last deal at 5.8. if kovalev isnt re-signed cause hes too expensive, then sellanne propably wont be signed either. there are a lot of guys there under 4 Million that would be good to have.
getting kariya only at 1.2 and murray at 3.85 or ricci at 3.0 , would be as cheap as getting selanne or re-signing kovalev.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=9229

I do believe Selanne took $1M last year to play with Kariya. They both took similar deals in any case. You probably won't get him that low with teams like Detroit needing replacements, but there's a chance you will - a bad season for him and he was only making $1M.

Raider917 07-04-2004 01:37 PM

i still think kovalev will re-sign. i hope he does cause if we dont re-sign him, toronto boston or ottawa might.

Marksman 07-04-2004 01:46 PM

In my opinion Selšnne would be excellent contingency play if Kovalev goes away, which seems very likely right now.

Habs would definitely have place for him on their top line, with Koivu, and one of the young forwards on the left (Hossa/Higgins/Plekanec). Imagine what our powerplay would look like with both Saku and him. He would add another right handed shot, besides Ryder into our top 6. Selšnne may have slowed down a bit with age, but his vision and cool with the puck have not disappeared.

Now that Juneau Quintal and Langdon are gone I think Habs need a veteran in their lockerroom. This is not a new situation for Selšnne, he has been leader with his previous teams. He would get lot of respect and fit naturally into team captained by Koivu. Also he happens to be a guy who has had to handle with media pressure throughout his career - I believe he could do well in Montreal. He hasnt been playing for eastern conference team before, so that might feel like fresh start for him...

Marksman 07-04-2004 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy LaFleur
I do believe Selanne took $1M last year to play with Kariya. They both took similar deals in any case. You probably won't get him that low with teams like Detroit needing replacements, but there's a chance you will - a bad season for him and he was only making $1M.

Nope. Selšnne still made his $5.8M... Kariya took paycut well under league average, to $1.2M, partially because that way he would remain UFA, hes what, 30 yo, not eligible for UFA status otherwise.

Guy LaFleur 07-04-2004 03:49 PM

I just checked up on it and you're right. Could have sworn Selanne took a paycut to around $1M - $2M like Kariya. Might have been all the "money doesn't matter" talk coming from his following the signing.

KingJarl 07-04-2004 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy LaFleur

Selanne made something like 4-5million last year. He did take a paycut, but not as big as Kariya. And Kariya only signed for $1million so that he'd be under the league average and thus able to become a UFA before the age limit came up.

HABitude 07-04-2004 04:50 PM

Selanne was a top player 14 years ago, and 5 years ago or even 2 years ago. Now he is defenitively on his decline. Not interresting for his price. If really Bob can't sign nobody else (I mean really nobody), then bring Temu (t'es mou) here to play with his buddy Saku.

But don't complain after if that 1rst line looks like when we had the polish prince (Chow). We'll start talking about the finnish prince... :shakehead

Plz don't overate Selanne and consider him in the same league as Lecavalier, Iginla, Nash or Kowalchuck. Selanne belongs in a lower league as those above.

Kovalev is more interresting even if he doesn't play with consistancy

ifesfor* 07-04-2004 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kryoptix

:lol:

I f kidding me right? :bonk:

Bring_Bak_Damphousse 07-04-2004 05:35 PM

I have basically no interest in Selanne, the guy couldn`t score with Kariya and Sakic I don`t see things being much different with Zed and Koivu. I`d hate to shell out 4-5 million for a guy playing on the 3rd line.

HABitude 07-04-2004 05:36 PM

Quote:

Thanks for providing a good laught. ;) :lol

Guy LaFleur 07-04-2004 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse
I have basically no interest in Selanne, the guy couldn`t score with Kariya and Sakic I don`t see things being much different with Zed and Koivu. I`d hate to shell out 4-5 million for a guy playing on the 3rd line.

... Kariya was out for most of the year and Sakic was playing on the top line with Hejduk and Tanguay.

Selanne was on the third line with Konowalchuk and some other reject. Playing third line minutes with mediocre offensive team mates, but still putting up 15 goals is good. He only played like 70 games, in addition to that.

Jeffrey 07-04-2004 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HABitude
Thanks for providing a good laught. ;) :lol

alright let make this clear !!
Selanne is WAAAAY better defensively.(than Kovalev)
Selanne is a very nice guy with a willingness to help young player(example: he helped sturm and marleau a lot when he played with San Jose)
and again Selanne is getting UNDERrated!!
because of 1 year !
sure that year was awfull (same with Kovalev except the playoff)
and again im not saying sign selanne at any price !!
but under 2m$ he would be a perfect fit ..
2 years at 2m$ play with koivu help the young players and provide good 2 way games..
Kovalev over 5m$ is too much
and even over 4m$ i still find it kinda heavy for a 45pts/year guy!

I repeat: Selanne at a low salary is perfect fit for us !!
:p:

Marksman 07-04-2004 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse

Kariya and Sakic? FYI, with Avs injuries to Kariya and Foppan, Granato put Selšnne with 3rd liner types like Konowalchuk and Nikolishin and sometimes even goons like Worrell and Cummins. Hejduk was getting all the quality minutes there. Not that we can blame them for that, though.

$4-5M would definitely be too much, but wasnt the starting point if Teemu would play for less, like $3-3.5M?

CH Wizard 07-04-2004 06:12 PM

Quote:

ARE YOU SERIOUS ??? :eek:

Kovalev is the best UFA IMO to sign for now a big skilled forward and if we sign and and if he'll play with Koivu for a complete season it's gonna be amazing I predict a 40 goals season for him and Selanne lose his scoring touch the only reason why I would bring him is that he gonna have a GOOD chemistry with KOivu that's all ! that's my list for the UFA's

N#1 KOvalev
N#2 Murray
N#3 Palffy
Selanne

Jeffrey 07-04-2004 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegreatone

Yes!!

Kovalev is the best UFA(myth) IMO to sign for now a big(myth) skilled forward and if we sign and and if he'll play with Koivu for a complete season it's gonna be amazing I predict a 40 goals season for him and Selanne lose his scoring touch(myth) the only reason why I would bring him is that he gonna have a GOOD chemistry with KOivu that's all(you forgot,good leader for the young player,cheaper than kovalev,better defensively) ! that's my list for the UFA's

N#1 KOvalev (i agree if he want to sign under 4m$)
N#2 Murray(ouch) inconsistent lazy no defense big puffy forward... no way!(unless he wants under 1m$ and replace Dagenais.. because at least he's a better skater than Dagenais ;))
N#3 Palffy(I agree) but NO WAY he sign under 6m$ ...
Selanne

Marksman 07-04-2004 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegreatone

Kovalev is the best UFA IMO to sign for now a big skilled forward and if we sign and and if he'll play with Koivu for a complete season it's gonna be amazing I predict a 40 goals season for him and Selanne lose his scoring touch the only reason why I would bring him is that he gonna have a GOOD chemistry with KOivu that's all ! that's my list for the UFA's

N#1 KOvalev
N#2 Murray
N#3 Palffy
Selanne

I find it amusing... first you talk about size, and the go on listing Palffy as your #3 choise, who is smaller than Koivu and possibly even more fragile than him. Selšnne is not small, hes medium sized... hes missed only 4 regular season games past three seasons. Maybe hes isnt very gritty, but neither are Kovalev or Murray despite their size.

Beakermania* 07-04-2004 06:43 PM

As for me no to Selanne. I rate our FA priority like this:

1) Kovalev
2) Demitra
3) Palffy (not gonna happen though, too much cash)
4) Murray
5) Recchi
6) If we can't bring in one of those then i would go after a dman with the cash we have to spend.

CH Wizard 07-04-2004 06:46 PM

Quote:

Yes!!

Kovalev is the best UFA(myth) IMO to sign for now a big(myth) skilled forward and if we sign and and if he'll play with Koivu for a complete season it's gonna be amazing I predict a 40 goals season for him and Selanne lose his scoring touch(myth) the only reason why I would bring him is that he gonna have a GOOD chemistry with KOivu that's all(you forgot,good leader for the young player,cheaper than kovalev,better defensively) ! that's my list for the UFA's

N#1 KOvalev (i agree if he want to sign under 4m$)
N#2 Murray(ouch) inconsistent lazy no defense big puffy forward... no way!(unless he wants under 1m$ and replace Dagenais.. because at least he's a better skater than Dagenais ;))
N#3 Palffy(I agree) but NO WAY he sign under 6m$ ...
Selanne

DAMN you gaved me a headache why you didn't quote me ?? anyways MURRAY inconsistent WHAT ??? you gotta be kidding this past three seasons he got 30 goals and + why are you saying that he's inconstitent ,big forward yeah we need size he can add size to our team and with him we can compete vs the big teams like PHylli and Bostons more easily so MUrray can be great fit in MOntreal !!!